PDA

View Full Version : Sunset 2 a tonal painting

Londondeon
01-07-2006, 08:59 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-07-2006/44933_email_sunset_3_tonal.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sunset 2 a tonal painting
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 20 x 16 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is another in the sunset series. I think this is the one I like best as I have been trying to do some tonal paintings and finally I think this one qualifies.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does it work? Any comments welcome. These sunset pieces are the focus for a show coming up this year and I need help so the next few I do are even better than the first 5.

Corby
01-07-2006, 09:06 PM
I really like this the values seem right and the color as well. I really like the 'burnout' in the tree!

pakc
01-07-2006, 09:32 PM
nicest of the series I think...it is very balanced. Love the intergration of the subtle orange shade down into the edges of the trees and I even love the blackness that form out the corners. Well done.

larryv048
01-07-2006, 10:02 PM
I like your use of colors and values....nicely done.

Dhuot
01-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Composition is excellent.
You nailed it :clap:
The foliage on the left is really "real"
Barbizon :)

heypolkafan
01-08-2006, 01:38 AM
Wow, i had to look back and I thought that it was you who posted the other sunset painting. The fullness of the trees in this painting, how they feel as if they are alive and move. You massed the trees as a whole, as a place,as a moment in time. The other sunset painting it seems as if all of the tree exist on their own. I havent tried to paint leafless trees(probably because it is very hard and i cant think about it) but i think if you could figure out how to paint te leafless tree with the same finess the other sunset painting would be so much stronger. And i could learn from you.
I love this painting
polkafan

Constellation
01-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Yes.... it definitely does work..... It's delightful. Good job. The whiteness of that centered cloud does bother me and yet... skies do things like that! Donna

Dana Design
01-08-2006, 11:49 AM
This is beautiful...reminds me of Cropsey's work!

The only thing that bothers me is the white cloud...I'd think the underside of the cloud would be a bit yellower while the top of it would be a bit darker. This might be from the light effect of the sun's setting. I do see some evidence of the yellowish underside.

however, if you did nothing more to this, it would still be wonderful.

gaugin
01-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Yes, I agree that this is the most successful of this series you've shown.
But I feel that is because this one translated through this electronic media withou much loss. And feel you are addressing those areas of transitions even if the media here does not show it.

In this piece the subtle changes in light show up very well. And gives it what I like to call a pop or sizzle.
The only tweak I would suggest is the cloud shape, less of a mass above the sunset, maybe stretch it some and thin it down. And agree with Dana you it may need a hint of color on it. A few well placed sky holes in the large tree mass on the left would give that area alittle more pop.

It certainly pops,:) sizzles,:evil: and has great inpact.:clap:

Londondeon
01-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks for all the comments. Actually the cloud is not so pronounced in the original. It is much more subtle. This is the closests I have come in feeling to an old master's painting and a direction I would like to continue to pursue. Hopefully I can figure out what I did here and repeat it in other pieces

Thanks again
Londondeon