PDA

View Full Version : "Untitled"

sugar tree gal
01-07-2006, 12:44 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-07-2006/15639_Leatha_s_unfinished_pic.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "Untitled"
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 28x36
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I am still working on this for my Sister-in-law .. I need some new eyes to look and this and tell me what I need to do... I really don't think I should have taken this on... to hard

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything

Grunge
01-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Hi sugar! I'm glad you've taken on this difficult project. You'll learn from the experience...and there is certainly no harm in that.

Okay, first things first. I think you need to tighten up your proportions a little before worrying over anything else. For the sake of discussion, lets agree that this is a modern day Christ. His right are needs some attention as you get closer to the wrist. it appears rather misshapen and perhaps too long, unless he is holding something. I'm not sure what is going on there. Maybe he is holding a sledge hammer, I'm really not sure.

hold your arms down at your sides and get a feel for where the tips of your fingers touch your legs. You need to apply this to your Christ. He IS bent at a funny angle so yes, one hand will be higher than the other, but the extension coming from the left hand is really interfering with this measurement.

I'm also thinking that Mary's hands look rather large when you compare them to the scale of her face. they appear somewhat masculine here.

Otherwise I think you are off to a good start. the angles of the faces look good; the height of Christ looks good given the bend legs; the rib cage reads well with the hips. are you working from a photo? If not perhaps you could rustle up a couple of friends to pose for you while you get a couple of quick photos so that you can examine the pose at your leisure and make correstions to the figures.

whatever you do, keep working. look at it in the mirror if that helps. let me see your progress.

Great job! keep going. (can i say that again, ....) Keep going!

sugar tree gal
01-07-2006, 07:04 PM
T. Thanks so much for looking and giving me some insight into this mess that I feel like I have gotten myself into... {Never again will I say"Sure I'll do it"} ha.... the person that you think is Mary is Christ. and the one in front has just tried to hammer him to the cross I guess... He has a hammer in one hand and a nail in the other... anyway it is so complex, not even sure I know what it means... She sent me a picture.. I will find it and put it on.. I have been trying to work on this forEVER ..... Thanks again:wave: Janice

Constellation
01-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Hi Janice.... This is a massive work! I think the thing that bothers me is the body proportions you've used.... when in doubt, block off your canvas to get them accurate. Another thing is that Christ's hand, the one on the person's tummy has the thumb ( I think) on the bottom... in that position it would be on the top. Work it out Jan.... you'll be glad that you did and very proud of yourself, then show it to us again and we'll be proud of you, too! Donna

larryv048
01-07-2006, 10:45 PM
I agree with the other OC comments and definitely see natural talent....keep painting!

sugar tree gal
01-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks Donna and Larry... Well I will give it another try... it was a bit over my head, but I have an idea for the thing... A grid... I will post it again when I finish.. Thanks for the insight..:) Janice

Grunge
01-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Stop saying that Janice!!! Believe in yourself. We do! Quantum physics. Believe it will happen and it will. visualize that perfect painting and do it. Have fun with it. Fun, fun, fun. listen to music that will inspire your mood while you paint. burn scented candles. make this a wonderful experience. something you'll look forward to. treat your self to painting. (and as always...go to the art supply store and treat yourself to a new brush, even if you don't need it).

sugar tree gal
01-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Thanks T. I do feel that painting is a treat.. I love it ,when I started about 6yrs ago, I fell in love... couldn't get enough even now my heart starts pounding harder when I start a new piece.. Guess I have just been suffering the one thing I had never experienced..doubt!! So thanks..I NEEDED THAT:clap: Janice

Grunge
01-10-2006, 09:15 PM
any time....