PDA

View Full Version : Check out my photoshop montage! For my portfoilo.

Sapho Saphron
01-07-2006, 03:48 AM
Ok I posted this in the critque forum, but no one said anything so it must suck. :rolleyes: People viewed it 45 times and didn't say a word. So I am hoping people in here will appreciate it a little more. Ok here is the scoop. The assignment was to scan images from a magizine and edit and place them in photoshop. The first one is the one with adjustments made on the advice of my teacher. The second one is the original one. Please make comments for this is for my sophomore portfolio review and I want all the opinions I can get.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-06-2006/72696_MontageFinal2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-06-2006/72696_MontageFinal1.jpg

Chiers
01-07-2006, 04:09 AM
Well so as not to appear unfriendly. HI:wave: As far as the artwork, I really don't know what to say. It just isn't my kind of art and I wouldn't have the slightest idea where to begin a critique.

Smokin
01-07-2006, 04:22 AM
Welcome Sapho!

Tough assignment for sure, but I see alot of good elements here. There is an obvious understanding of photoshop and its filters, you you did a really good job layering / pasting the seperate images onto one peice. I like the depth, there is a bg, middle ground, and forground.

Like most collages, i dont like em cause I dont know what to look at. It is what it is, its images pasted together onto one layer, thats a collage, its just a personal thing though for me. I think the only critique I can suggest is lightly erasing the ends of the hair and horse's mane, with a soft edge eraser set to a low opacity, just looks beter IMO VS haveing hair with a hard edge silhoette.

like Chier said, it not her art, and its not mine either, but I think if I were to try to attempt something like this, I would chose images with the same theme, either it be all the same/similar shape, color, activity, feel, I dont personally see how all these images tie in together, not that they have to, you would know better than I.

Hope that helps.

Sapho Saphron
01-07-2006, 04:53 AM
Like most collages, i dont like em cause I dont know what to look at. It is what it is, its images pasted together onto one layer, thats a collage, its just a personal thing though for me. I think the only critique I can suggest is lightly erasing the ends of the hair and horse's mane, with a soft edge eraser set to a low opacity, just looks beter IMO VS haveing hair with a hard edge silhoette.

Honestly I don't like them either. :p When our teacher told us that we were doing a montage I was like, "Groan! Ugggghhh!" For I agree you can bring the elements together all you want but it still has a random look to it which I hate. I like doing stuff like this as long as I make it look REAL. If it were up to me the horse would be coming out as ice. (See the blue eyes in my siggy. I burned an image on to another one of ice.) But that is not what my teacher wanted and told me that I would have to wait until illustration class to do stuff like that. Darn. :cool:

Skinny
01-07-2006, 07:35 AM
WELCOME Sapho! I think we're all relieved that this isn't YOUR choice of art, lol. It sounds like you're going to have a lot more fun in illustration class. :D

justjean
01-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Hi Sapho :wave:

I'm not interested in making collages but sometimes if they have a connecting theme and I know about that theme I might find them interesting to look at. My only suggestions would be ... if it's your choice of images find ones that relate to each other ... anyway good luck with the project :)

Elvira
01-07-2006, 11:10 AM
The lack of connection between the componets is I think what is causing the most of your problem individually they are interesting but how do they relate. It doesn't necessarily have to be subjects, it could also be shapes that is used to connect the image. Also the use of feathering or using a defuse blender on the edges so they can become lost and found will help to unify the parts of the image.

Collages are difficult to make work as they tend to look like what they are cut and paste. If your teacher is looking for something in particular and you aren't clear what it is, that makes it also much more difficult. good luck.
Edie

jhercilia
01-07-2006, 04:31 PM
I agree with Jean and Edie. For a collage to work, all items must be related somehow as to tell a story. As it is right now, I don't get the messege if there is one. I can't figure out what you are trying to say.

I agree with Smokin in that you need to soften edges as to avoid the cut and paste look, which looks amateur. I suggest you to make use of layer masks to create this soft edges.

Good luck.

BruceW
01-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Well, I think two of three changes your professor made improved the piece. Moving the horse up and slanting the text both helped the composition. However, I would have kept the magenta sky. I also agree with the other in saying that you should soften some edges.

As far as the choice of images, again I agree with the others. The images don't seem connected enough to make a statement. Overall, it's just surreal. It does kind of remind me of the opening dream sequence of The Cell, though.

leofaerie17
01-07-2006, 06:33 PM
:wave: :wave: :wave:

HI and welcome you wont be ignored here I love collages when i master layers:evil: i want to get into them :wink2: try this site this artist is very good and does collage good luck :clap:

http://www.pbase.com/sunartique/sunartiques_digital_art

Sapho Saphron
01-08-2006, 01:24 AM
Ok ok ok...Let me just say something. He told us that it didn't have to have a theme. And I didn't want it to have a theme either for the surealist approach was what I was going for. So look at it as if you were looking at a Dali painting. That is really not what I am worried about for he greatly apporved of my choice of imagery. I am more worried about the nitpickey stuff at this point. Like should something be a different color or moved a little differently, etc... KK? :)

And let it be known that I am past the point that I can start over. I really really doubt he would want me to start over. I also kind of have to keep his suggestions for the most part because otherwise he will tear me to shreads.

Smokin
01-08-2006, 05:12 AM
Sorry if you didn't like the crituqe bro, but I think the consensous what there wasnt much tieing these images together, that doesnt mean you have to start over though.

Hope you dont mind but I just whipped this out real quick just to give you ideas, I think that you should exploit the fact that this peice is made up of primary colors (red, yellow, blue). Make the yellow pop out more in the window of planets, introduce some blue into the horse, some yellow into sky, make it obvious that red ylw and blue are the makeup of your peice to tie it all together, maybe stick a filter ontop of the whole thing, whatever is clever for you.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2006/65236-bain_storm.jpg

This certainly doesnt look better than what you got, but it does show that you can place more effort into tieing the images together.

Sapho Saphron
01-08-2006, 11:35 PM
^ Thanks for the advice Smokin but that really isn't what he wants. That is what I wanted to do for my first idea, but he told me that I would have to wait for illustartion class. If I had a different teacher I might do what you suggested, but with this guy I am not going to try to do anything fancy for I know he will rip me to shreads. I have tried it before. This teacher is so critcal that after one class I went into the bathroom and sobbed. I was so upset.:( I will do what you suggested with the horses mane, I wanted to do something with in anyway, I just didn't know what. I hate the sky too so I am going to change that, but other than that I am leaving it alone.