PDA

View Full Version : apple core...

LarrySeiler
01-06-2006, 01:52 PM
this one came rather quickly...during a break between classes and a bit of time here and there...about 30 minutes in all...

size is small...5"x 3-3/4 on panel

since the color came out bad in my initial upload...please scroll down just a bit to see the new and more accurate image of this work..thanks

Larry

jimb
01-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Baltimore......

Sorry, but I couldn't resist :)
I like this larry. Like I said before good idea, excellent execution.
Take care,
Jim

JamieWG
01-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Heeheehee...I see you had a snack today, Larry. Very nice! How did you end up with a panel that size? Was it an 'end cut' from a large board? I like those little off-sizes.

I'd love to see pics of your classes!

Jamie

LarrySeiler
01-06-2006, 03:28 PM
thanks Jim and Jamie...

actually, I was not happy at all with this upload. Took my painting outside and photographed it again under various settings. Was tough to get a good one inside for some reason...

I'll try again...here it is...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2006/532-applecore5wc.jpg

closeup-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2006/532-applecore_closeup2.jpg

hope it still looks good after the first upload! dang!!! hahahah...

Jamie, it was an odd and end, and I decided I'm going to keep such odds and ends now...and play with adhering these to some birch veneer with glass or no glass. Won't need frames for these...sorta borrowing on Ben's exhibition idea...

Larry

LarrySeiler
01-06-2006, 03:38 PM
as I mentioned earlier, for fun I'd share a couple pics of my students working, there here are second graders...

you can see a simple stilllife set up and they are painting monochromatic...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2006/532-elemstudents_paint1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2006/532-elemstudentspaint2.jpg

One thing interesting with K-12 art instruction is having something like a class of young ones, say kindergarden or first...then the next class might be ninth graders or seniors.

You go from why bother to make orange to begin with? Looking at the world, formulatating ideas and expression of one's self...to seeing the suprize and wonder that follows when yellow finds its way into red, and orange suddenly appears. :D

Larry

JamieWG
01-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Larry, they are just the cutest! They all look so absorbed in what they're doing, and that says a lot about the teacher. It looks like they all have similar smocks. Does your school provide smocks for the students? We can't even get ours to buy new watercolors. :( It such a sad state of affairs. They have old watercolor pan sets that only have two or three colors left in them...and you can probably guess that those aren't the colors the kids want to use. Very frustrating.

Jamie

LarrySeiler
01-06-2006, 09:39 PM
no....these shirts, Jamie...were donated by a local out in the boonies rehab work/school center where kids off on a bad route (usually inner city) are sent by the judicial system in hopes of turning them around.

well...I put my first blog together...

http://larryseiler.blogspot.com/

Jholdren
01-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Looks great Larry!
I like your blog too. Aren't they so much easier to update than a regular website? I will jump in on this forum myself soon- my wife and I are moving into a new home in the next few weeks while trying to rent out our current home, so a lot of our everday objects are already packed up!:(
Great job on this one. I love the paint application!

Justin

Chloe_1
01-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Great lights and shades in the apple core Larry!
Nice to see all the busy artists at work.

LarrySeiler
01-08-2006, 12:50 PM
thanks Justin...
I think I will like the blog because they tend to get more repeat visits than regular websites...though I will hang onto the websites because it undergirds all that you do.

thanks Chloe1 appreciate the looksee and time to comment!!!

Larry

pameladallaire
01-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Great blogsite and I like your apple.
I think you must be a great teacher for the young ones. We have learned a lot from you on-line. You are better than the art teacher that I had in Public School! I remember her comparing me to the other art students and telling me I painted like a preschooler! I should have taken it as a compliment. In high school I was getting the highest marks in art and that teacher would show others my work! Who can figure?
Pam

LeeHaber
01-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Lots of great brush stokes and spots of color...reminds me of a Van Gogh.:wave:

midcoast
01-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Larry - I nice painting of the apple core!

And thank YOU for being such a great teacher - both here on WC! and with your students in school. The world needs more teachers, like you, who enjoy what they do and have the capacity to pass it along :)

Nancy

Julieanne
01-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Larry- nice apple-I bet this was hard since apples go brown so quick. Your kids are such cute artists-you must be proud! Glad you have your blog I like it & will be checking it often.

LarrySeiler
01-09-2006, 03:46 PM
thanks everyone...appreciate the comments.

Often...my students in asking for an idea or direction to go in their work have a bottom line motive for such questions and primarily to assess what might be an easier way out. In asking if something might be easy to do...I'll have come back and say..."you know, I think you're right...so I guess I wouldn't do it either if I were you! Good call...too easy!"

I want them to realize that growth comes with adversity. In sharpening a blade fine microshavings of metal are ground off. One has to challenge themselves, make something a bit difficult so that growth happens.

Today...I built a cardboard box...put a nightlight in it and a 25 watt color correct bulb. I created a different environment to put my incidentals in which gave the subjects instantly a more classic look. I'll share that box in my next thread which will be on sh itake mushrooms I'm painting.

I have guitar lessons to teach in about an hour though..so probably won't get far on it today.

Larry