GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The envy of tinfoil wings
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12X24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My sister growing up was always the ideal child while I was considered the Black sheep. Of course as we got older everything straightened itself out ( I am still somewhat the black sheep I just cope with it better know). This year I was looking through a bunch old old photographs and found this of my sister getting ready for her Christmas play. Everyone of course was making such a fuss over her. In the background there I was pouting. I laughed when I found the picture and had to paint it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
The picture was poor that I worked from and I know that this pic of the painting sucks but any comments would be appreciated.

Grunge
01-08-2006, 02:25 PM
this is just adorable. the expression on the disgruntled child is priceless. You really hit it with this one. and that stripped shirt is awesome.

This painting needs something, though. Its hard to put my finger right on the answer so I'm just going to set out a couple of things that I'm thinking. First, given that you've done this painting from a snapshot, you'll notice the things that are missing from the painting. the floor that the subjects are rooted to...the top, sides and bottom of the tree. Each of these three things have something missing. that is just a bit disturbing to me. not on a psychological level, but it just feels wrong. we can tell from the size of the figures that the angel is standing somewhat forward to the position of the seated child. haveing a floor would help the veiwer to assimilate this. I don't expect you to make such a major change to this painting...but it is something to consider when you work from photos. You have to allow yourself to make the changes that will make the painting successful.

who is the star of the show. You have three things here. they each seem to be painted with equal attention to detail. If you paint the tree with less detail that will push it back in space and will also aid in letting the children be the stars of the show.

I would really like to see you push yourself on this one. It has so much potential. what are your thoughts?

pampe
01-09-2006, 06:40 PM
It is adorable....and possibly therapeutic for you!

I agree with grunge...needs a little more life

If you look at it in grayscale to see the values:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2006/4054-wings.jpg

You can see that it is mostly DARK.....add some LIFE/light and I think you will like the difference

WELCOME....nice work

larryv048
01-13-2006, 09:43 PM
I agree with the other OC members comments this could be developed further into a very successful painting.