PDA

View Full Version : My Emma - Reworked

keysgram
01-06-2006, 10:53 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-06-2006/25441_dcp_3261first.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-06-2006/25441_dcp_3266second.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-06-2006/25441_dcp_3268second.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: My Emma - Reworked
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 10x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
image 1 is first - 2 and 3 are reworked

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
looking for feedback on the reworked piece- anything

keysgram
01-06-2006, 10:56 AM
this is reference photo

keysgram
01-06-2006, 10:58 AM
oops...try again

Constellation
01-06-2006, 11:05 AM
very precious.... her Mother will love it! Donna

keysgram
01-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks so much Donna:)

hward
01-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Hi again. Good. The major problem remaining, that I see, is the right shoulder.

In the photo, the right shoulder is curved forward a little.

In the painting, the tip of the shoulder is indeed located correctly for this. But the top of the shoulder (from the neck to the shoulder tip) and the upper back (above the shoulder blade) do not show the curve. It looks sort of flat and unnatural, and, since it is the part of the body closest to the view, it throws the overall rendition of the body off.

Also, you might think about darkening around the point of the chin, so that it appears to curve back a little. This would help give the face an overall 3D shape. I'd have to be very careful here, to avoid darkening the overall brightness, and to avoid disrupting your overall contrast scheme, but I think your eye is a little better than mine.

Some people take suggestions poorly, and I always make them with some trepidation. But painting is very hard, and we all need all the help we can get. Thanks.

keysgram
01-06-2006, 02:03 PM
hward,
I welcome ALL suggestions, doesn't mean I have to agree. However, I do agree in this case:)
Don't know if I can correct the curve at this point, but I should be able to add some shading on the chin.
Thanks again!
Linda

Dana Design
01-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Yes, I agree with hward. This needs a bit more shading in the chin and cheeks to 'round' them. Perhaps deepening the color in the corners of the lips would also help round the lips as they look a bit flat now.

Watercolor portraits are difficult and I admire you for taking this on. I learned early on never to use permanent colors for portraits. The transparent watercolors are best used because layering is so much easier and effective.

Very nice work!

Carla G
01-06-2006, 08:57 PM
My favourite is #2. I won't be to critical I am just learning to do watercolor portraits myself. I love the skin tone color you used on the face, a little on the pink side. I can't explain what it does but I like it. Maybe it's brighter more youthful. The eyes are beautiful, bright and full of life. I do agree that the shoulder needs a bit of work. You did a nice job.

carolinekatie
01-07-2006, 12:19 PM
I love it! What a a beautiful little girl. Great job, love the changes you made. The eyes look much softer now - did you change them?
Caroline

KrisKoz
01-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Fantastic features! Precious little one :)

keysgram
01-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Dana design, good callon the lips! will do that. yeah I am finding some colors not so good for portraits (cant scrub out!;) )thanks so much
Carla and KrizKoz-thank you very much!
carolinekatie, yes I did rework them, lifted out some of the dark on the upper lids - I like it much better too. that was one of the wonderful tips I got in the Watercolor forum- i cross posted there as well
Thank you all!!!
Linda