PDA

View Full Version : Self Portrait of an Early Riser

bluewindfisher
01-06-2006, 04:54 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-06-2006/70598_200601selfportrait2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Self Portrait of an Early Riser
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 30 x 40cms
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
-

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments/feedback welcome.
Regards
Graham

ArtyHelen
01-06-2006, 06:38 AM
Wow, Graham, you could play the role of Dumbledore! ;)

I LOVE the magical feel to this, and the soft lighting. Really special!

Helen

bluewindfisher
01-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Helen

Wooow now that is something Helen! Dumbledore is my favourite character in the Harry Potter series.
I loved him in Cracker too. Did you see that over there?
Thanks for your comments. :)

Edit: Oops my wife has just reminded me that it is Hagrid that is the same actor who plays Cracker. LOL. Dumbledore is great of course but Hagrid is more my size! :)
Regards
Graham

reisSUEd
01-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Graham,
I've been taking notice of your works for awhile, but have yet to comment. I like your style, your use of colors, the feel to your paintings that I just can't put into words (not having an art vocabulary built up yet as I'm a newbie). There's definitely an individual style here that I can tell what works are yours even if your name wasn't on the thread. Keep it up, I like your paintings.

PaulC44446
01-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Your very talented. I like your use of contrasting colors between the hair and face. Have you ever thought about putting a few really dark areas into your paintings? They would have to be large areas... just well placed. This would would also give your work contrast between light and shadows a bit more and might make them even appear more 3d. I've been studying light and shadows in oils for years now and I believe it really makes a difference.

hward
01-06-2006, 02:07 PM
The middle third of the painting (from just above the eyebrows to just below the nose) is very good. I think the outer two thirds detract from it. Just too spacey to be harmonious with the look of no-nonsense aged awareness in the right eye (on viewer's left).

In line with an above comment, you'll notice that the middle third contains most of the sharp darks.

Constellation
01-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Graham... I think the soft "floating" quality of this painting is wonderful....How did you ever manage to do your eyes so well? Self portraits are tough! ;)Donna

Dana Design
01-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Graham, the pinks with the yellow oranges disturb me somewhat. I'd like to see a more harmonious color palette. The yellow orange attracts too much attention to the forehead when it's the eyes that should attract. IMHO.

Dhuot
01-06-2006, 10:24 PM
This is trully exquisite :clap:
The pinks around the eyes is "tres tres bien"
Maybe the viewers left hand side glasse's could be a little more soft(ish)
A minor crit for a major artwork.
Bravo :)

pakc
01-06-2006, 10:32 PM
the intensity of the eyes and the softness of the hair and beard draw the eye into the eyes.....gives a sense that this individual has awakened to a purpose.
Love the colors you selected and how you managed to give an etheral otherworld quality to the hair....but substances and depth to the eyes, glasses, nose and mouth. Isn't it said the soul of a person shines from the eyes. Lots of "soul" in this painting.

outporter
01-07-2006, 04:33 PM
I agree...your eyes are very powerful...this composition is brilliant, at first I thought a darker background, and tried it in photoshop, but I think you got this one nailed.!

Michael

dornberg
01-12-2006, 08:52 AM
enjoy

Spyderbabe
01-12-2006, 12:28 PM
I think its terrific.

obxladybear
01-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Wonderful painting......I half expect the eyes to look up at me....:clap:

Corby
01-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Hi Graham! Astonishing portrait! But I am not astonished that you did it. I have come to look for the yellow as your signature color. In my opinion you are becoming more and more adept at using it in a sophisticated way. What a polish this work has on it!

larryv048
01-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Excellent work....as usual!

artbycecilia
01-12-2006, 07:47 PM
the intensity of the eyes and the softness of the hair and beard draw the eye into the eyes.....gives a sense that this individual has awakened to a purpose.
Love the colors you selected and how you managed to give an etheral otherworld quality to the hair....but substances and depth to the eyes, glasses, nose and mouth. Isn't it said the soul of a person shines from the eyes. Lots of "soul" in this painting.

exactly... I love it

bluewindfisher
01-14-2006, 01:45 AM
Thanks to everyone who have taken the time to look and comment. I really appreciate the feedback. :)
Regards
Graham

Denisey
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM

Helen

I agree! This has a Mystical feel to it. I think it's fabulous! Love the soft colors, the close up... :clap:

aszurblue
01-14-2006, 08:24 AM
Oh I do so agree, this is marvelous... just marvelous!!! Azure

Valri Ary
01-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Oh Graham! I love it..........I saw this a few days ago but was not at home and for the life of me could not remember my password to comment!!!
The long and short of it is this: WONDERFUL, MAGICAL, DREAMLIKE (for you early risers) and just right. Love the choice of colors to envoke the magic of early morning sunlight or the dreamlike quality of, well, life itself, sometimes.
NICE....

maw-t
02-13-2006, 02:58 PM
WOW... This is sooooo good. The only thing I would even consider touching is the eyes... They seem a little dark to me... or maybe hard is the right word... Just a bit softer and a little more detailed in the eyes... but that is really nit picking... I love it love it love it!!!!

maw-T

LynnDigby
02-14-2006, 07:20 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2006/71979-70598_200601selfportrait2.jpg
This is a powerful and luminous portrait. The color use is stunningly effective.

I had one slight suggestion. I felt the eye on the left (your right eye) was placed slightly high. It might be that I don't know your face, but I was wondering...I did a fast PS thingie. Does this make sense?