PDA

View Full Version : Collage on paper

CarlyHardy
02-03-2002, 08:37 PM
Here's a collage that I'm working on. The colors in the jpg aren't as close as I'd like for them to be but I think you can see my problem with this one.

All of the tree top and the trees in the background, the middleground and the foreground is collaged papers, painted in areas. The tree trunk is modeling paste built up and painted.

Any advice?
carly

Mae
02-10-2002, 09:54 AM
I love the way you collage Carly!

Leaflin
02-14-2002, 09:12 PM
Hi Carly :)
I really like this.
I see lots and lots of wonderful texture.

My only suggestion would be to tone down the bushes in the background just a little bit as they seem to be competing with the tree.......which I love :)

cagathoc
02-15-2002, 09:25 AM
That's tough~! When papering over watercolor - anything you paper tends to come forward. You have the background and the tree foliage all coming forward because of this. I would suggest (too late now) having made the foliage and a tree trunk a combination of watercolor (I see you let the watercolor show through in 2 small spots in the foliage; that reaally helped; I think you need more of that) and paper and use the papers more heavily in the areas you want to come forward. This would also help break up the masses of paper - it's showing a huge mass where the foliage is - makes it heavy there.

I think you did great using color to push back and pull forward but with the papers it's not enough - you have to also balance papered and not paper areas; make them integrate.

Since you can't remove papers now, I'd add a little paper to the foreground in warm colors, maybe even some grasses to push the tree back and make more depth.

It's beautiful as is!!! but since you said you had a problem - that's why I commented.

mame
02-15-2002, 09:36 AM
I do a lot of collage to "fracture" 2d space and experience similar visual weight problems.

What I do after the fact is integrate the collaged area by sometimes laying in a bit more paint/color overlapping collaged edges in places - pushing back/disguising some edges.

Might work in watercolor media too?

CarlyHardy
02-17-2002, 10:40 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. Here' what I did....used gesso thinned and painted it over the background bushes...the dye in the paper tinted the gesso just enough to create a lighter dusty color making the bushes fade into the background more. I also added some yellow tones to the foreground to warm it up a bit more.

I was happy with the result! Wish I had thought to take another pic...but it's already been sold.
carly

sassybird
02-21-2002, 02:07 PM
This is very nice, Carly. I enjoy collage work too, but have not gotten as detailed as you have. My detail work comes out more in my fibers work. Have you ever tried using light weight cotton and sheer fabrics to do collage? You can do underpaintings and also paint over them with all kinds of mediums.

diane555
03-11-2002, 07:48 AM
carly this is quite beautiful! Too bad you didn't get another picture. But I guess one can't complain when selling thei rwork eh? I really like the way you handled the tree here. Too bad one can't get a real sense of how the texture looks on here. Beautuifully done.

Di

msue
03-16-2002, 04:29 PM
Here's an after the fact suggestion you might use in the future. The background bushes could have been subdued using lacy washi (sp) paper. I use the white lacy paper to tone or lighten areas when I realize I have too many darks touching. Just a thought. Did you ever study with Jane E. Jones?

elaine pelosi
03-18-2002, 03:59 AM
Tell me who yhis is please? Maybe shes the author of a good book or video?