PDA

View Full Version : Spoon time...incidental

LarrySeiler
01-05-2006, 06:00 PM
okay...guess it must come to appear as desperation to take a simple everyday common spoon and do an after school study, but I was attracted to the reflective properties, indirect light, subtleties and so forth...

4"x 6" oil on board...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2006/532-spoon2wc.jpg

and a closeup...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2006/532-spooncloseup.jpg

this was one of those things, like painting water using a photo reference that shows all the patterns...that after awhile no longer looks like a spoon or very good painting for that matter. Studying the patterns its as though you are no longer seeing the spoon.

The hope of course is that everyone else will.

Based on comments from my students that popped in...I'll accept that at this time it does... :)

Larry

Wyn Easton
01-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Nice one Larry. Did any of the students ask where you got the silver paint?
I often forget to paint values and colors notes when I'm outside. I find myself painting a building or a tree. It was good for me to paint the glass jars the other day. It forced me to just put down what I saw through the glass and hope for the best. This is another good reminder to put down what you see.

LarrySeiler
01-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Nice one Larry. Did any of the students ask where you got the silver paint?

No Wyn...hee heee...but I am surprised how often artists ask how to paint metal or a metalic look. It strikes me a bit like those that think a tube of flesh color will result in a well painted portrait.

I often forget to paint values and colors notes when I'm outside. I find myself painting a building or a tree. It was good for me to paint the glass jars the other day. It forced me to just put down what I saw through the glass and hope for the best. This is another good reminder to put down what you see.

Each painting semester with my high school students I have one or two that will take me up on the idea of flipping their reference upside down to paint it, as I tell them that the left brain will surrender the effort to the right creative brain half...and that they will experience an easier time of painting without all the doubts and demands of the left brain. Same trees...hills, sky and water, fields and what not...but upside down we see more obviously they are shapes, color and values...etc;

One has to approach the outdoor subject two ways...one with knowing capability and confidence, yet also as a child experiencing the world for the first time with inquisitiveness, wonder and awe.

In experiencing it...don't overcomplicate like an adult...but take nature simply, trust it like a child does his daddy. Matter of factly...but in basic art visual language. There's a shape, there's a dark...and there's a dark darker than that dark but lighter than that one. Here's a color and there.

Painting then simply reduced is one spot of color (with its right value) put down next to another till there are no more spots to put down. Seeing and judging the right relationships, putting them down leads to the painting nearly accomplishing itself.

This is what I was expressing when I was no longer seeing spoon. I was seeing the spots of colors, the values, their shapes and their right positioning and relationship to all others. In faith...I had to believe they would sum up to say "spoon"..

Now that I've been gone from it for a number of hours and got back on to check out threads and email...I have a slightly fresh eye and it now looks like a spoon to me. A pretty good one...and I take joy that my faith was not misplaced....

take care Wyn...thanks

Larry

JamieWG
01-06-2006, 07:18 AM
Larry, this is a wonderful study in reflected light, shape, and color. Thanks for sharing!

Jamie

midcoast
01-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Larry -

It's amazing the complexities that can be in everyday objects! The reflections on that spoon are wonderful!

Nancy

LarrySeiler
01-06-2006, 10:05 AM
much appreciated Jamie, and Nancy...
as I shared elsewhere...funny how as engaging as landscapes can be, nature with its many voices and so many decisions to process...I was surprised how this spoon felt as a challenge...

peace

Larry

Julieanne
01-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Great patterns in this spoon, you make an everyday spoon so enjoyable to look at.

LeeHaber
01-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Love the subtle colors!!!!

Bobbo
01-06-2006, 01:30 PM
that's a spoon allright!
wonderfull reflections...

LarrySeiler
01-06-2006, 03:40 PM
appreciate the comments, Julieanne, Lee and Rob...thanks much!!!

mipleinair
01-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Larry, Great little painting. I love how you turned an ordinary spoon into such a great work of art. Well done
Mike Clark

LarrySeiler
01-06-2006, 06:02 PM
thanks Mike...appreciated!

Larry

frisbee1948
01-06-2006, 08:16 PM
I often see the reflections of the classroom flourescent lights in your paintings. Great job on the spoons.