PDA

View Full Version : Painting to Music - What do you listen to?

KJSCL
01-05-2006, 04:38 PM
We now know Linda (purples) likes Iron Butterfly and Jerry Garcia, but does she listen to them while she's painting? Furthermore, does it in any way influence how you paint?

I find while painting that the louder and rockier (is that a word?:) ) the music, the looser I am. If I'm working on something more detailed like a portraiture I find I prefer quieter, more new age type of music. This got me wondering what other artists do while painting. So vote and then let us know what type of music you like listening to.

BTW my favorites to paint by are the Eagles (yes, I know I'm dating myself!) and Delerium

Bringer
01-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Hi,

What I listen most is 3 Doors Down. Also like Enya and Everything But The Girl. And of course that I listen to others.
I voted sometimes.

Regards,

José

CindyW
01-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Now that my studio is in the basement, I no longer have my stereo available as it's upstairs, but there is a tv around the corner behind the furnace on a fly tying desk of my husband's so I give that a listen.
BUT....when I do have music to listen to, it's Joni Mitchell, Jane Siberry, Paul McCartney of course, Chris Whitley, Travis Tritt, Bruce Cockburn, EmmyLou Harris, Patty Griffin, Tori Amos, Lyle Lovett, Jonatha Brooke, Ulali, Elvis Costello, Green Day, Celtic, American Indian, wow, too many to list......and tons of intrumental and obscure groups, and, well, EVERYTHING! I love it all and so I guess I have no favorites.
Cindy

khourianya
01-05-2006, 04:58 PM
ohh I love Delerium...too bad they aren't together anymore (though I did get to see them reunite last January at the Tsunami concert at the 'dome with Kirsty Thirsk singing) Have you checked out Conjure One yet? It is one of the guys from Delerium off on his own project. Simply awesome.

Anyways I'm straying...

I always listen to music...it ranges with my moods but I do love the Barenaked Ladies to keep me relaxed. I also listen to Poe, Sarah Harmer, Chris Brown and Kate Fenner, Feist, Jack Johnson and whatever else happens to come up in my iTunes library that strikes a mood.

Of course I also do a fair bit of painting to Kimodus - which is the name Cam writes his music under. Since we started to share a studio space I get immersed with it alot more than I used to. Luckilly I love what he does (he's an electronic musician - very ambient)

HarvestMoon
01-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Kathy- boy- when I saw that last selection, I just had to go for that one- and that includes the whining pets too LOL....

I have a real problem lately with music- in my studio, which got too junky to actually be in, there is a tiny clock radio...it got my favorite station quite well though- then suddenly- in the dead middle of Christmas- they switched to - ahme- 'feel good positive morally correct' music.... it is hideous!!! So the other decent station does not come in at all- and all I am getting are San Antonio stations now- in Spanish, which I did terribly in.... lately have sort of shifted to the family area again (they are not happy with me there either)... but the music distracts my husband, who is trying to do some serious work on the computer.... my youngest though decided Jethro Tull was 'good music' with nasty lyrics... and knows every McCartney song by heart- and Beatles- my oldest screams when I play Joan Baez (having her middle name come from one of her songs), but there is hope as she likes Bob Dylan

bluefish
01-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Doesn't anyone listen to the'standards' like Johnny Mathis, Frank Sinatra, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman,etc?

I always have music on - do some of my best work dreaming along with Dianna Krall! Thank you Canada for allowing her to perform for us! She's a sweetheart!

Love jazz.....MJQ, Brubeck, etc. Makes those pastel stick fly!

Bringer
01-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Doesn't anyone listen to the'standards' like Johnny Mathis, Frank Sinatra, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman,etc?

I always have music on - do some of my best work dreaming along with Dianna Krall! Thank you Canada for allowing her to perform for us! She's a sweetheart!

Well....let me tell you that I have : «Glenn Miller - A memorial» double CD.
And, altough I haven't got anything from them, I really like The Andrew Sisters. Maybe one day I'll buy «The Natural Album». For those to whom the name Andrew Sisters doesn't ring a bell, they're the ones who sing «The boy from company B». They also sing (I guess) «Mr. Sandman». Altough this song is originally from «The Cordets» (sp?). Maybe this is the reason why I haven't seen this song on any of the Andrew Sisters albums.
Ah ! and just as sheer curiosity, in my opinion the most beautifull song in terms of lyrics is «Vincent» (can't remember the interpreter)

Best regards,

José

dlake
01-05-2006, 07:05 PM
oh, the blues. I love the Blues. chicago, delta, blues-rock, all kinds. It really makes my mojo go. Also, I love 20s, 30s jazz. Chic Webb, Armstrong with the hot fives and sevens, the really good stuff.
I do like Benny Goodman in his early stuff. Ellington from the 20s and 30s. Swing and early Jazz. However, my real love is the Blues.

Kathryn Wilson
01-05-2006, 07:36 PM
I love music of all kinds, but I paint to classical music and opera. If I am in my car, it's the Beach Boys. If I am reading, it's the Big Band music that I love best.

HarvestMoon
01-05-2006, 07:43 PM

NO- THIS IS THE SORT OF MUSIC THAT DRIVE ME OVER THE EDGE :eek:
But happy that it makes you happy LOL....

I like Cindy's list a lot- and Enya- esp. when she was with Clannad...and the Eagles- although I will NEVER figure out Hotel Calif. and used to adore Michael Murphy....Moody Blues... the Monkees (hiding under the table here)... Nancy Griffith, Dan Fogelburg....(and yes, even John Denver....)
yeah- the Beach Boys are great...Chicago- the Neville Brothers....Loggins and Massina (have to add them since I was good friends with Massina's sister)....Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, Stephen Stills....and JANIS JOPLIN.... really LOUD Janis-

dlake
01-05-2006, 07:48 PM
So Linda, you like the 60s music? You need to talk to my husband. He loves the music. I do like your selection of Janis. True blues.

K Taylor-Green
01-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Norah Jones, Andrea Bocelli, Sarah Brightman, Soundtrack to Phantom of the Opera, Mixed Ballroom music, Laura Branigan, Classical Ballet, Whitney Houston, Madonna, Soundtrack to Chicago, Soundtrack to Shall we Dance. I have soundtracks to several other dance movies. I LOVE dance movies!!

CindyW
01-05-2006, 10:02 PM
NO- THIS IS THE SORT OF MUSIC THAT DRIVE ME OVER THE EDGE :eek:
But happy that it makes you happy LOL....

I like Cindy's list a lot- and Enya- esp. when she was with Clannad...and the Eagles- although I will NEVER figure out Hotel Calif. and used to adore Michael Murphy....Moody Blues... the Monkees (hiding under the table here)... Nancy Griffith, Dan Fogelburg....(and yes, even John Denver....)
yeah- the Beach Boys are great...Chicago- the Neville Brothers....Loggins and Massina (have to add them since I was good friends with Massina's sister)....Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, Stephen Stills....and JANIS JOPLIN.... really LOUD Janis-
woohoo, there Miss Linda! You must be around my age, then. The other day I played Michael Murphy's Wildfire album, (yes, ALBUM) for my 3 1/2 year old daughter and she wanted to hear it over and over! I hadn't listened to that album in at least 20 years. Dan Fogelburg, a BIG yep to him, and of COURSE CSNY and the solos...Loggins is a doll and what an energetic musician..."I'm thinkin about nights in Jamaica...." Early Elton John and Jonathan Edwards are great, too. AND movie soundtracks I love, too! Monsoon Wedding, Shawshank Redemption, Rob Roy, American Beauty, Gladiator....
The Blues, yah!
But, I do love all of it that you all have listed here, just didn't list it.
Vince Guaraldi of Charlie Brown theme song fame, love it! Django Reinhardt and Ennio Morricone are two others.
Cori has some I've never heard of before, gonna check those out. How bout these, Cori: Dead Can Dance, Loreena MkKennitt, Gjallarhorn, Tin Hat Trio, Hagalaz Runedance, Burd Early, Lisa Gerrard, Mendoza Line, Qntal, Garmarna, Euphoria, Imogen Heap, The Beta Band, Peter Murphy, Gomez....I bet you've heard a few of these.

Music is so personal it's awesome to find likeminded tastes among us! :clap: :wave: Love this thread!
Cindy

Kathryn Wilson
01-05-2006, 10:23 PM
. . . Soundtrack to Shall we Dance. I have soundtracks to several other dance movies. I LOVE dance movies!!

Just bought that DVD! I love that movie. Did you see Dancing With The Stars tonight - :)

HarvestMoon
01-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Michael Murphy's Wildfire album, (yes, ALBUM) for my 3 1/2 year old daughter and she wanted to hear it over and over! I hadn't listened to that album in at least 20 years. Dan Fogelburg, a BIG yep to him, and of COURSE CSNY and the solos...Loggins is a doll and what an energetic musician..."I'm thinkin about nights in Jamaica...." Early Elton John Cindy

I have tons of albums- and finally - a phonograph again- and the kids think it is really wierd- but I bet I could still sing every song word for word from Wildfire.... LOVED that - have to dig it out now and hear it again- he was so cute... yeah- 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' too- he has some great stuff....he might be fun to go clothes shopping with too LOL

and came back here because I left out Paul Simon- who is still writing fantastic music, preforming great stuff..... his album with Lady Blacksmith Mesambo was a killer.... but they all are.
And George Harrison.....
.. what would the world be without musicians and artists???? HORRIBLE to think about!!!

And my 7th grade Sax playing daughter just had a great Christmas concert tonight- the ONE day we had a bit of ice was the original date- really great to hear Christmas music NOW LOL.... but they were of course STUNNING.....

Hey- am I the only one with a WHINING FAMILY????

khourianya
01-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Cori has some I've never heard of before, gonna check those out. How bout these, Cori: Dead Can Dance, Loreena MkKennitt, Gjallarhorn, Tin Hat Trio, Hagalaz Runedance, Burd Early, Lisa Gerrard, Mendoza Line, Qntal, Garmarna, Euphoria, Imogen Heap, The Beta Band, Peter Murphy, Gomez....I bet you've heard a few of these.

Love love love Dead Can dance and Imogen Heap (have you heard the new one?) Lorenna McKennitt is Canadian so of course I hear her all the time. A few of the others are ringing bells but can't say I could pinpoint the tunes...I guess I'd better do some iTunes searching :D

Ya - I love my offbeat indies. You'll find a fair few Canucks in my CD collection. I listen to pretty much anything, but if no one else has heard of it, it's prolly in my faves! :D

Cam just bought the Arcade Fire album and it is incredible to hear! Highly recommended!

dlake
01-05-2006, 11:17 PM
I like White Stripes. They are cool. Jack Johnson, too.
As for my blues, I like Muddy, Son House, Luther Allison, his son, Bernard, Tab Benoit, Dr. John, BB!!!!, kenny Neal, John Lee, Lightn Hopkins, T Bone Walker (Stormy Monday - THE ultimate song), Herburt Sumlin, HOWLING WOLF, Lonnie Brooks, Albert Collins, ROBERT JOHNSON, ect, ect.
As for Rock: Led Zepplin rules.

khourianya
01-05-2006, 11:23 PM
Okay Cindy - you are gonna cost me ALOT of money! :D I am in LOOOVE with Mendoza Line, Gomez and Burd Early!!! Thanks for the reccommendations! I guess us graphics people are alot alike :D

Deborah Secor
01-06-2006, 12:55 AM
I'm probably gonna stick out in the crowd here. I do listen to music when I paint some of the time... and I favor worship music! I love to sing praises to my Creator while I get creative. It just stirs my blood, warms my heart and keeps me dancing and singing along. It keeps my hand loose and free, it lets me relax, sometimes it helps me to concentrate or just let go of all my thoughts and worries to the Lord! I know, I know...you might be casting eyes skyward, but hey--it's me! I just love Jesus so much I want to sing all the time.

Now don't go thinking only of "postitive, encouraging" radio (although I listen to that station! K-LOVE, guess I'm a positive kinda gal) but my favorites are Fernando Ortega (local boy makes good--wonderful pianist and a sweet, sweet vocalist with a heart that just soars), The Kry (from Montreal, got their start here in ABQ and our pastor was a guitarist with them for the first ten years!), Todd Agnew (INCREDIBLE voice), Salvador (Latin contemporary sound), Phil Keaggy (my alltime favorite--amazing guitarist with a diversity of musical styles that is unbelievable. I have one CD of his that has to be about worn out by now that's strictly musical, no vocals, called 'Music to Paint By'. He's also a painter), Steven Curtis Chapman (BIG sound, country-rock fusion, lyrics that can't be beat), Shane and Shane (the most gorgeous voices melting together, with a soul you can't believe).

Anyway I could go on...but won't. Unless there are some here who share my musical tastes I might as well be whistling Dixie. :rolleyes:

:D Deborah

MarshaSavage
01-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Well, I have to put my two cents worth in: Elton John (of course -- early and now); Eagles, Travis Tritt, John Michael Montgomery, Celine Dion, Andre Bocelli (spelling?), Shania Twain, Reba McIntyre, Bruce Hornsby, classical of all kinds, and Rascal Flats!!!, Sugarland, Bob Seger, Kenny Chesney, Bon Jovi, Lonestar, Alan Jackson, Meatloaf, Atlanta Rythym Section, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, Faith Hill, Boston (one of my favorites), Vince Gill, Styx, Bette Midler, . . . and then there is my BeeGee's -- have you every painted to the Saturday Night Fever music? Wonderful to get the body moving and the hand swinging around.

I find that I need to have a 5-track CD player loaded with a variety, that way I never get tired of any one genre! Was that a list or what? It is fun to hear what turns others on while they create! And Deborah, I've hear some wonderful worship music, I just have never bought any CD's.

Oh, someone said about painting in the basement and the music is upstairs -- so . . . just turn it up loud enough to hear it -- that is what I do. My husband says when he drives down the street, he can see the windows vibrating and that we could get robbed and I would never know it!

Karen Margulis
01-06-2006, 08:59 AM
My music depends on my mood. I get on kicks when I only listen to standards. I love Diana Krall and Ella Fitzgerald is my favorite! Then sometimes I get on a Sting kick...I love his music. Sometimes I play music to match the subject I am painting. For example if I am painting a beach scene I'll play some caribbean music or sting's 'The Living Seas' really puts me in an 'ocean' mood. If I am painting a Southwest scene I might play some sw music by Nicholas Gunn or Native American flute music....that really sets the mood and gets me into the painting.
I always have some music playing when I paint!
Karen

HarvestMoon
01-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Deborah- Church music can be very uplifting- but I stick with that on some Sundays LOL... don't get me started singing Amazing Grace- (with Joan Baez).. the only thing our Church congregation can actually sing...

Karen-And native american flute music I LOVE.... or any native american music- my oldest learned to play the flute- I was thrilled- looked forward to lots of beautiful flute music- even put on Jethro Tull for inspiration of something different for her- but she would NEVER practice and now won't play it at all- if I had the skills I would be playing away- can still send chills up the spines of everyone with 'On top of old smokey' on my flutephone....

dlake
01-06-2006, 09:32 AM
I'm not exactly a religious person but, I find gospel very moving. I love native american everything, music, art, spirituality, the connection with the earth. I find natural music - like the seas, the sounds of nature - Karen reminded me when she was talking of Caribbean music.

Deborah Secor
01-06-2006, 09:55 AM
:D Seems I'm not alone! At our church we like it LOUD, so even I can sing... and no one cares cause they can't hear me.

Deborah

dlake
01-06-2006, 09:58 AM
For someone who cannot carry a note - that would be my perfect way of singing if I have to in public. lol

khemosabi2
01-06-2006, 10:46 AM
I usually turn on the MP3 player on the computer and set it to random...so I end up listening to a little bit of everything (including some of those mentioned).

~Jessa

dlake
01-06-2006, 11:01 AM
how fun. A good way to get exposure to different music and develop an electic (sp) taste.

KJSCL
01-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Wow - what an assortment although I did notice no one mentioned Gregorian chants yet which on occasion I'll listen to, altho it's primarily just to drive my husband a bit nuts.:evil:

I went through the CD's in my studio and was somewhat surprised to find the majority of them were by female artists. Not sure why I was surprised, just something I'd never noticed before. Melissa Etheridge (she has such a powerful voice), Jewel, Norah Jones, Dido, Dianna Krall, Jann Arden, Amanda Marshall and one of my all time favs, Sarah McLachlan.

I also love U2 and Phil Collins. Don Henley's voice absolutely makes me melt, I could listen to that voice all day! Another voice that really got to me was Luther Vandross, it's so sad that he's gone. There were also quite a few Big Band compilation cds which are reserved for when I'm really stuck on a painting and just need to let go.

KJSCL
01-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Kathy- boy- when I saw that last selection, I just had to go for that one- and that includes the whining pets too LOL....

Linda - LOL. I had to throw that one in because sometimes that's the only thing that works!

Iloveyorkies
01-06-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm all over the place. I love Patestrina but I also listen to what ever in on XM 22 which I think is ??Adult Alternative??--its clean but written by a bunch of 16 - 22 year olds. Don't quite know what is wrong with me.
P

CindyW
01-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Wow - what an assortment although I did notice no one mentioned Gregorian chants yet which on occasion I'll listen to, altho it's primarily just to drive my husband a bit nuts.:evil:

and one of my all time favs, Sarah McLachlan.

I also love U2.

I have Gregorian chants, also....haven't listened to it in quite awhile, though.
Ahhh, Sarah. She's exquisite.
U2 is timeless. They don't seem able to write a bad song.

Cindy

CindyW
01-06-2006, 12:02 PM
John Michael Montgomery, Bruce Hornsby, Bob Seger, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, Faith Hill, Boston, Vince Gill, Styx,
Love these, too! Bruce Hornsby has rhythm that you cannot escape! What a talent!
Cindy

khourianya
01-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Sarah M is one of my ultimate faves as well. I saw her at the Tsunami concert as well...she is a joy to see and hear. Almost brought me to tears. Well worth the expensive seats :D

A few years ago, my brother was on teh stage crew for Lilith Fair and he approached her after her set to get her autograph for me - it still hangs on my wall and always will :D and I'm not much of a star gazer.

CindyW
01-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Fernando Ortega, The Kry, Todd Agnew, Salvador, Phil Keaggy, Steven Curtis Chapman, Shane and Shane ...
:D Deborah
I'm going to check these out...
This thread is great to get new musical exposure from! ;)
Cindy

CindyW
01-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Okay Cindy - you are gonna cost me ALOT of money! :D I am in LOOOVE with Mendoza Line, Gomez and Burd Early!!! Thanks for the reccommendations! I guess us graphics people are alot alike :D

:D :evil: !!!
You should see my Amazon list...250+.....well, a few books in there, too.
Let me know what others are your favorites!
Cindy

khourianya
01-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Oh how the list could go on :) I love dark and melodic or bright and fun...pretty much runs the gamut but I never get complaints from my guests so I guess it must be good stuff :D

* Feeding Like Butterflies - no longer together, but a spectacular Edmonton Indie band - you can buy their CDs online but so sad you can't see them live anymore...I used to catch them at the diviest club when I first moved here.

* Ella Says - ditto to the no longer together part, but a great Toronto band. Their CD will never leave my collection

* The Dino Martinis - a local swing band. very fun

* Tara Maclean - amaziong voice. On the same label as Sarah Maclachlan

* Fulton / Shelby Nelson - both are the same guy from Toronto...he is actually Cam's best friend and has a few absolutely beautiful CDs out

* The Be Good Tanyas - folky and fun

* Guster

* Butterfly Boucher - from Australia. Opened for Sarah M on her last tour. Amazing talent for such a young performer. Well worth a listen - and the CD is typically cheap.

* The Donnas - Rocky and punk girl group. Used to be The Electrocutes. If you want to really rock - this is an awesome group

* Letters to Cleo - if you watched the movie "10 Things I hate About You" you will know their music - since they were on the soundtrack a couple of times. SOme members appeared in the film too

* Killing Heidi - another girly punk group - fun. very fun

* Save Ferris - another from the 10 things movie. They appeared in the movie and on the soundtrack. Kinda punky and fun

Okay - that's a start, but if I had my iPod here, I could point to a many more :D

Deborah Secor
01-06-2006, 01:06 PM

Interesting! It's my husband who has the Gregorian Chants CD and loves listening to it...but I like the sound, too. :) Reminds me of--who was it that played the flute inside the Taj Mahal--Paul Horn? I guess both sound meditative, just different objects of affection.

Cindy, so glad to give you some musical ideas. :D Enjoy!

Deborah

HarvestMoon
01-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Wow- I have Gregorian chants on a CD- very cool- and harp music from a castle... and Clannad (irish- had Enya until she split)... need to go dig that one up.... will have to steal back the CD player from the kids... who said Gospel- love it- used to live in a neighborhood with a small black church around the block- would go walk the dog there and sit outside every Sunday morning to just hear the wonderful singing.....

Muffin_4377
01-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Music in my house is just as important as visual art. My dining room has more instruments in it then dining chairs...lol. Hubby plays a multitude of instruments, and I "attempt" at a couple.

My musical tastes are all over the map. I listen to alot of country, as it is mostly what we play/learn on our instruments, Keith Urban (I LOVE HIM), Rascal Flatts, Road Hammers, Jo Dee Messina, and alberta lovely Paul Brandt, just to name a few recents. Lots of Bluegrass/Folk in there too....Allison Krauss, Good Be Tanyas, Nickel Creek.
Jason Mraz & Maroon 5 have been getting alot of play lately...ditto with my early Tori Amos stuff.
Sometimes I need a dose from my younger years...Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, the smalls, Bad Religion, SNFU, NOFX, Napalm Death, Butthole Surfers.

My mood and what I am painting will dictate what I will be listening too...

khourianya
01-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Fun Fact! Paul Brandt was my best friend's brother's nurse at the Alberta Children's Hospital before he hit the big time. Danny probably still has the demo cassette paul gave him during his treatment.

Bill Foehringer
01-06-2006, 03:53 PM
A story about music. I've had to relocate my studio to the basement. It's cold and drafty was originally a root cellar under our 105 yr old house. Anyway to make things a little nicer I dug out an old cd player. It has a headphone jack with adustable volume. I thought great don't have to hook up speakers or amp. Played the first cd- no problem. Went to play 'Let It Be' and it just would not play. It was an old first-generation cd-player. It wouldn't play any other cds either. I ended up spending a whole bunch of time trying to get it to play load -eject-load- eject finally gave up and tossed it in the garbage. I don't usually listen to music while painting because I'm usually outside-don't need an mp3 player I like to concentrate on the subject and process. I was really looking forward to be able to listen while framing or other non-painting studio activities. I'm doing charts in oil paint and hoped the music would help that along.
So after all of that-no music.
Lately I've been listening to three indie groups:Grey Eye Glances(East Coast), Martha's Trouble(Toronto), and Third Road Home(Colorado) the later two being very wonderful acoustic folk/rock husband/wife duos, 'Tigerlily' By Natalie Merchant. The new Stones' CD. For some reason I never had the 'Let It Be' album on vinyl or cd so I bought the 'naked' version for myself for Christmas. I'd like to track down the last album Walsh made with Fleetwood Mac before L. Buckingham and 'oh god brain freeze I can't think of her name' came along. I've been into Jackson Brown's 'Late for the sky' album. I also ran across a CD called 'Phil Lesch and Friends' it's pretty good not what you'd expect from Phil given the 'Dead' connection. I would call it blisteringly good like Carlos Santana. BTW I heard a track or two from Santana's new effort. Also heard a collaboration of Santana and Los Lonely Boys- very good not sure if its on Santana's new cd or what.

TH TH TH THAT'S All FOLKS, BILLF

khourianya
01-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Tigerlilty is such a beautiful CD - have you heard her followup - "Ophelia"? It is great as well.

HarvestMoon
01-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Cori- completely amazing....!!!

Muffin- I love bluegrass- I have a banjo in the closet- have no clue how to play it- and want a mandoline too.... LOL- have zero musical talent, and keep trying to play the guitar- dogs and children howl.....

Bill- my ex-sheriff friend used to wait for his neighbor across the way to come to his goat pasture (the rancher in fact who dumped all his orphaned baby goats on us LOL) and he would light garden torches, crank up SANTANA- really loud....and here came Henry (our basset was named after him so we could yell at him)... saying 'what ARE you guys- Branch Dividians or something'??? (you have to picture this being said with a HUGE Texas drawl...

dlake
01-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Purples, my sister loves Bluegrass. She discovered it watching a PBS doc on american music. she's been addicted to it ever since.

scall0way
01-06-2006, 09:08 PM
LOL, well I voted *never* on the poll, as essentially I don't listen to music when I paint. However I do listen on rare occasions. Probably about 97% of the time I paint with no music, but there are odd moments when I do.

But when I listen to music it's just about always classical music, stuff like Musgorsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition", or Handel's "Water Music", or Dvorak's "New World Symphony", though mostly I like baroque-era music. I'll also listen to classical sacred choral works like the Mozart Requiem (love that one) or other requiems or masses or cantatas. If I'm preparing for a concert I'll sometimes listen to a CD of the piece I'm preparing for - which invariably is a sacred choral work. Last month I listened to the Rutter Gloria a few times as we did that one as part of our Christmas concert.

For the spring concert we are doing the Schubert Mass in G, as well as pieces my Bach and Handel, and I guess I'll be listening to CDs of them shortly.

Although it's rare for me to listen to non-classical music I do have some - some bluesgrass-style hammered dulcimer music I like, and celtic harp. And I still have tons of LPs from my teenage years downstairs - Joan Baez, Carole King, the Beatles, the Stones, Joni Mitchell, Crosby, Stills and Nash (and Young), Jeffferson Airplane, tons I can't even remember - but have not played any of these in YEARS. No clue if my old turntable still even works, LOL.

But when I paint I generally prefer silence. I do most of my music listening in the car, and my new car has a 6-CD in-dash player, so that is fun. The six CDs I currently have in there are:
1) Mussgorsky's 'Pictures at an Exhibition" and "Night on Bald Mountain"
2) Renee Fleming's 'Sacred Songs'. She has the voice I dream of having, LOL. Great album. I can listen to her 'Pie Jesu' over and over again. I sound just like her in my own head. :)
3) Stan Rogers (late Canadian folk singer) 'Home in Halifax' album
4) A Robert Shaw Christmas - 'Angels o High', lots of my faves like 'O Come, O Come Emanuel', 'Lo, How a Rose', 'O Magnum Mysterium', the Randall Thompson 'Alleluia', "Hodie Christus Natus Est', etc.
5) Handel's 'Water Music' and 'Music for the Royal Fireworks'
6) a CD of organ music, though I confess I can't recall the performing artist, but the Widor piece on track one really rocks.

dlake
01-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Your last on the list, the organ really rocks made me lol!!!
However, classical is nice. I like classical music and it's very productive music. Nice for working and thinking and putting a person in a good mood.

scall0way
01-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Hey, organ music really does rock, at least it makes me rattle and roll. When our organist at church gets playing those deep bass pedal notes fortissimo the floor vibrates and the pews shake! I always say that listening to organ music is a total body experience.

My organ music in the car is the same. I crank it up to full volume and when the bass pedal notes are hit the whole car starts to shake and vibrate. Now *that's* music! Though when my son was visting last fall he borrowed my keys to run out in my car somewhere (he lives in NYC so does not have a car of his own), and he had quite a shock as I'd forgotten the organ CD was on in the player, and volume on full, so when he turned the ignition key his eardrums were really assaulted.

He said to me afterwards, "Uh, Mom, don't you think that organ music was a little *loud*? :D

KJSCL
01-06-2006, 11:13 PM
I love Handel's Water Music and Pachabel's Canon is an absolutely beautiful piece of music. For some reason though I just never put classical on when I'm painting. I'll have to give it a try

HarvestMoon
01-08-2006, 08:08 PM
gee- can someone else please vote for a whining family here???

Paula Ford
01-08-2006, 09:16 PM
I listen to music once in a while. When I do, it's Kevin Kearn, just plain soothing instrumental, piano, violin, or classical.

Paula

Shari
01-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Well I hesitated to jump in here on this thread, but I guess I am the only one who likes World music. Since I am an afro-cuban conga drummer, I listen to a lot of latin music. I also like to listen to guitar music while painting but mostly it is very uptempo salsa or latin rhythms and I am usually dancing around my art room and painting at the same time!

dlake
01-08-2006, 10:14 PM
I like world music - especially Edith Piaff. I love salsa. I like alot of music. Blues and early jazz are my favs. But, if it sounds good I love it. About the only music I can't stomach is country. I've always had an adversion to it.

dlake
01-08-2006, 10:15 PM
I like world music - especially Edith Piaff. I love salsa. I like alot of music. Blues and early jazz are my favs. But, if it sounds good I love it. About the only music I can't stomach is country. I've always had an adversion to it.

Jo Castillo
01-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Wow, what a collection from all. Guess there are as many types of music as there are artists. I voted sometimes, but normally listen. Sometimes I have golf on to see the beautiful vistas when I am inside. Turn down the sound and up the music. I have iTunes so play random, all genres, listen to everything. Grew up on country western and love the old ones .. Faron Young, Johnny Horton and Hank Thompson.. on to Charley Pride, Don Williams, Waylon Jennings, George Strait, Kenny Chesney, Dierks Bentley, etc. That rolls over to folk with Canadian Angus Finnan, . Love South American, we lived in Bolivia, Peru and Chile, so tarka and changas make music fly. Native American flute, Carolos Nakai. Big Band, Jazz, Rock, Mexican, ahhh Julio Iglesias (from Spain) is super. Some classical, celtic, and on and on. And what I like to paint is about as varied. :)
Later,
Jo

Bill Foehringer
06-15-2006, 10:00 AM
I like to listen to music. I even built my own speakers from high-performance components. I built the cabinets from scratch. I built a sub-woofer that makes the floor move when watching an action movie or sends the base-line coursing through your body when listening to music. A long time ago I would listen to music when drawing but I don't anymore. Lately when I listen to music I don't do anything else. I close my eyes and lean back. I've never been much of a background music person. I do most of my original work outdoors, no walkman or pod don't own them. (Don't have a cell-phone either. Have to get them soon now that daughter will begin driving) I like to be immersed in the outdoors. The wind, the light, the sounds of nature. When I'm near water I listen to the sounds that the wind, insects and fish make in the water. I listen for the sounds of birds when I'm painting. My background 'music' comes from the natural world when I'm painting. It's wonderful to hear all the soft sounds in mid-winter caused by a breeze. BillF

Bringer
06-17-2006, 01:14 PM
Hi Bill,

I hope that the cell won't be to talk with her while she's driving.
And don't you come arguing that she can use the freehand system, because that is also distracting.....

Best regards,

José

Pat Isaac
06-17-2006, 07:48 PM
I listen to classical music and then sometimes to my CD collection from the 60s and 70s. All the old folk groups.

Pat

mnpainter
06-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Tool 10,000- pure genious, purely inspiring.

Ben

MChesleyJohnson
06-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Richard Ruane - www.RichardRuane.com (http://www.RichardRuane.com)
Coyote Old Man - www.CoyoteOldMan.com (http://www.CoyoteOldMan.com)

Other painting music includes but is not limited to: Julee Cruise, Philip Glass, Enya, Puccini, Mahler, Bach, Beethoven, Satie, Debussy, and more! (Neil Young and Crazy Horse if I'm in the retouching stage.)

Merethe T
06-18-2006, 09:49 AM
I always listen to music, but what I listen to depends on the mood I'm in. Most of the time it'll be rock, roots, blues - the music I love the most and play myself with my band. My playlist includes U2, Coldplay, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman brothers, Radiohead, Madrugada (a GREAT norwegian band, highly recommend them!), Stevie Ray Vaughan, The Verve, Live, REM, Cranberries..... I could go on and on, love music..! I'll also listen to classical music if I really want to relax,and some jazz too...

bluemanjacob
06-20-2006, 08:20 PM
This has been fun!

Here's one I don't know if anyone has heard of them or likes them , but my 16 year old son introduced me to a group based out of Portland, Oregon. Where we are. The name of the group is The Decemberists and the name of the album is Cutouts and Castaways.

I really like the second song. I hope this group keeps it together and moves forward. Or maybe they have and I don't know because I am not 16. (har)

Jake

Orchidacea
06-24-2006, 05:23 AM
I listen to all kinds of music...world music, jazz, classical (particularly "early" music), chant, opera. I'm a singer, but I cannot sing and paint, so I tend to stay away from anything with lyrics (except opera--but one doesn't sing along with Puccini casually while doing something else, lol).

My latest obsession is native American flute played by Marina Raye (www.marinaraye.com). Very meditative and really seems to enhance my concentration.

Pat Isaac
06-24-2006, 07:28 AM
oooh, I play flute, so I bet I would like that. Thanks for the link. I aften listen to gregorian chants. Very soothing.

Pat

purplelizard
06-25-2006, 05:58 PM
hi y'all!

I think its been a year since I posted last.....:(

I listen to sacred choral music, classical music, early music (chant) and other soothing stuff. I see have some company in that department!:D

Kristen

moonthesun
06-26-2006, 07:57 AM
Windham Hill artists and that kind of genre is probably my favorite, all instrumental but extreme mood music...like Jim Brickman, Liz Story, George Winston, Alex de Grassi, Michael Hedges, Michael Manring...the list is endless. The music is great. Other similar artists that are awesome Manhiem Steamroller, Azuma..all in the same genre known primarily as 'New Age' and in some cable companies if you have cable tv and have music channels it may be known as 'soundscapes'...I can see someone painting a masterpiece to this music....

Bill Foehringer
06-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Since this thread seems to have evolved into music listening in general I'll include one of my current favorites: David M Bailey. He's just released his 13th cd, Two to See. He produces independently so you have to buy his stuff from this online indie outlet: cdbaby.com. He has alot of good stuff to listen to. I suppose he'd be considered a folk artist but basically it's just his lyrics, voice and guitar playing that matter. BillF

bjcpaints
06-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Can't believe this thread is still going! I could not listen to music when I first started painting because I felt I needed my full concentration on it. Since then, I have started to occasionally listen. We have a small house and DH always has the TV going so I generally only have the music on in my little studio when he is not home. I grew up playing classical piano and ragtime. Tried banjo lessons till my daughter and DH begged me to stop. Listening music is really wide ranged. On Sunday afternoons I listen to a radio music program "Proud to be Irish". On Friday mornings I listen to a radio program called "Tropical Y Mas" Wonderful Latin Music - I adore Cuban and Brazilian, etc. I have CDs of Gloria Estefan, Mana. For oldies R&R I like extremely loud rock & roll - Clapton, Seeger, any folk stuff, Newer and Alternative: U2, REM, Sno Patrol, The Cure. Also Native American - Robbie Robertson, Enigma, I have 3 drumming CDs.... Oh yeah, I also have that Gregorian chant CD!
Barbara

DLJohnson
06-30-2006, 11:50 AM
:) Fun thread and interesting to see what everyone likes.

I go from classical to oldies to pop, rock, and even country.

This week it has been Jim, Jimmy, James, and Carly. They make for a great all day jam session. When I am mad at DH it is Christina Aguilera. :lol:

I have had a thing for Beethoven since the 6th grade. Glenn Miller rocks too. Tim McGraw is pretty hot and you can't have him without a little Faith. :cat:

Donna

(Croce, Buffet, Taylor, Simon)

Bringer
08-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Hi again,

just to say that nowdays I'm a sucker for the song «Just like heaven» by Katie Melua.

Kind regards,

José

nana b
04-05-2007, 10:19 PM
I love to paint to the soundtrack of The Merchant of Venice:music: . It really settles me down.:smug: I also love the origial soundtrack of 2 Days in the Valley and loved the movie as well. Kind of wacky and off beat:cool:. I also play the soundtrack to Peter Fondas 'Easy Rider' when I think of the old days,:eek: although it's hard sometimes to paint to. I really like Billy Joel, love the Bee Gees! Like most all rock, blues and todays country.

nana b

dbjs
04-18-2007, 02:29 PM
I love to paint to U2, Teen years after, The stones, The moody blues, Enya, Brian Adams, some danish artists, The who, Deep purple, and many more. :)

flyfisherflyfisher1
04-18-2007, 03:32 PM
I like background music only and Jimmy Buffet, James Taylor and Enya type
music :music: really soft though...I have to be able to think.
Pete

Chosen1
04-18-2007, 06:02 PM
I listen to anything that has to do with "rock", punk, and some pop(i,e; Saliva, P.O.D., Jimmy hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, trapt, System of a down, Greenday, Lenny kravitz, taking back sunday, block party, coldplay ,U2, the killers, my chemical romance, fall out boy, cute is what we aim for, etc). When I listen to music while doing art I am usually trying to get quiet and just work (ironic). It doesn't really influence my art that much though.