PDA

View Full Version : Bought the Rembrandt set ... now I'm testing.

snakum
02-03-2002, 03:47 PM
I went to Jerry's in Raleigh yesterday to begin picking up the Rembrandt pallet. As it happened though, they were having a sale and I was getting the stuff so cheaply I went ahead and got everything - or at least everything I thought I needed. I tried to get a warm and cool flavor of each color, with one of them fully transparent. Here's what I wound up with: Cad Lemon & Stil de Grain Yellow, Cad Red Lt & Perm Madder Dp, Ultramarine & Pthalo - Green Shade, Veridian & Chromox, Yellow Ochre Lt, Raw Sienna, Burnt Umber, Titanium, Ivory Black.

So, today I've been seeing what the colors will actually do (see uploaded picture below). As I did previously with colored pencils and then pastels, I set up a smooth, gesso'd canvas board and am painting swatches of color in the following ways: the color alone; the color mixed with black, white, and gray; a swatch of each color, over which I'll paint a layer of retouch varnish and then glaze over with SDG Yellow, Madder Deep, Ultramarine Deep, and Veridian; I copied a 12-color color wheel, mixing the Rembrandt to match the colors as closely as possible, and then writing down what each mix was; and last, a Covino verdaccio scale with nine tones (The verdaccio won't be done with Rembrant, based on recommendations from Mr. Covino's student who said Mars Black, Flake White, and hi-strength Chromox is needed - recommended Utretch, W&N, Grumbacher. Said Rembrandt was excellent for everyting else.).

Thanks for all the help with choosing the new colors. I still have to go back and get a tube of Burnt Sienna (you guys recommended it and I already found a hole in the range) I'm definitely open to more suggestions about testing/trying out the colors.

Thanks again,

Minh

walden
02-03-2002, 10:16 PM
Looks like a good palette, and like you're having a great time with it. There's nothing like new art supplies, is there? :)

Patrick1
02-04-2002, 10:26 PM
Snakum, nice of you to post pictures of your mixing exercise.

Have you noticed the color bias theory in your mixing? (ie. you need a purplish red and purplish blue to mix a clean purple, etc...)

One neat thing you probably noticed is that phthalo blue GS looks like two different colors in masstone and undertone. Masstone can be quite reddish, almost like ultramarine, but undertone is very greenish, like cyan. Very interesting colour.

One very useful thing I recommend is a colour multiplication table. Something I want to do hopefully soon.

I agree that you probably will need burnt sienna
(I prefer the transparent, synthetic ones for their cleanlines and fieryness). Burnt sienna
is IMO the quintessential 'brown'. I'm going to see if I can get along with it as my only brown.
Supposedly adding ultra. blue to it will emulate burnt umber. Personally I find raw sienna a pretty
unnecssary color.

If you do any more stuff like this, I hope you post it.

snakum
02-04-2002, 10:40 PM
Hi Domer ... yeah, I needed a green shade blue and a red shade blue for mixing purples and greens and since pthalo will make a beautiful sky blue as well I went with that for a warm blue rather than a cobalt or cerulean. One thing I've noticed about pthalo though ... that stuff gets everywhere! Man, it's strong stuff.

If the color swatches will hurry up and dry I can varnish and glaze them there on the right-hand side of the canvas. And I can start on the tertiary colors within my wheel. I love this stuff!

What's a color multiplication table?

Minh Mad Monk Thong

Patrick1
02-04-2002, 10:50 PM
You replied before I finished editing my message
(I added stuff about browns)...take a look.

A color multiplcation table is where you lay out your colours in a row either horizonatlly or vertically, then lay them in the other direction, and then where the two colours 'intersect', you paint a swatch to show what the mixture looks like. Here's an example mixing various yellows and blues, in watercolours:

http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/tech34.html

Also, did you notice that orange plus black makes brown? And orange plus a bit of blue does the same thing? Sorry if this is basic stuff, but I just learned it 1 or 2 years ago, and it still excites me.

diphascon
02-05-2002, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Domer

Also, did you notice that orange plus black makes brown? And orange plus a bit of blue does the same thing? Sorry if this is basic stuff, but I just learned it 1 or 2 years ago, and it still excites me.
The sensual adventure of mixing colours: add some phthalo green successively to an intense pinkish mixture of crimson and white and watch the colour disappear ...:D

cheers

martin

nam26b
02-06-2002, 10:50 AM
I did the multiplication-style (opaque) color mixing chart in m first week of painting, and hung the canvas on the wall. when I mix a color I usually consult it numerous times. It has been a help to see the colors on canvas, and already dry instead of on my brown or grey pallette.

I reccommend trying it.

Nathan

snakum
02-06-2002, 02:41 PM
I have another canvas board dedicated to just such a thing (I didn't know what it was called), a matrix of each color mixed with every other one. This is what I did with the transparent colors over the opaque. Now, if I could just get that nine-value verdaccio down ...

Oh ... that Rembrandt Stil De Grain Yellow ... hmmmmmm! I tried some of it over the entire background of the verdaccio figure I'm working on. Honey!

Minh Rembrandt Thong
(Dangerous with a paintbrush ... deadly with a roller.)

gnomes99
02-07-2002, 06:38 PM
I also have a colour chart for oils or acrylics where you mix each colour with all your paints and then with white. It gives some interesting results and I refer to it all the time.

The formula is to start of with one colour and working diagonaly on grid place the next diagonal colour and the mixture of these two below the line and the mixture of these two with white above the line. Then add your third colour with the second colour and then the third colour with the first one.

For example I started with lemon yellow, next diagonal square was Colbalt blue, the next cerulean blue and so on.

Attatched is an image for a better explanation.