PDA

View Full Version : FAO: Ponting

Fingerpaint
01-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Hi! I am new to this forum, so have missed out on anything you've said about paper, but can you please tell me what paper you use? Specifically the Egg Colander painting, I am so unbelievably impressed!

Bringer
01-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Hi,

Altough this is not a request to my person, and thinking that I'm not being too forward, I can tell you that Dianna works alot with La Carte from Sennelier. I guess that she also uses Colourfix from Art Spectrum and probably Sansfix from Schmincke. But as far as I know her workhorse is La Carte.
You'll have to wait for her repply tough.

Regards,

Josť

Fingerpaint
01-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Thanks Bringer!

Deborah Secor
01-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Welcome to the forum, Fingerpaint! Nice paintings you have in your signature line...

You know, you can always post a request like this right in the thread you're curious about and that will bring the whole thing back to the top of the list in the forum, plus it sends e-mail notices to anyone who is subscribed so that you'll get an answer most likely! Just FYI...

Hope to see you participating here more. Show us some of your work! I love the one of the creature--the second one. :) Very expressive.

Deborah

Fingerpaint
01-05-2006, 05:28 PM
LOL Deborah! It's a guinea pig:D , it was the quickest painting I've ever done and it's the one that most people smile at, I think it took 2 or 3 hours to do - (Pastel on black velour).

I had actually clicked on Dianna's link to her website and found that incredible painting there, she really is good and my husband & I had marvelled at that one.

You will definately never get me off this forum now that I've found it!

Gailx

Deborah Secor
01-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Good! They can't keep me out of here either. :) Okay, guinea pig it is..It could've beena squirrel or maybe a gopher--it's small!

Dianna had a lengthy thread on that painting here, which I assumed (blush) you had seen. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311969&highlight=colander Here it is!

Deborah

HarvestMoon
01-05-2006, 07:04 PM
I like wallis first, and art spectrum second... have given up paper...
Linda

Fingerpaint
01-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks Dee, will check out that thread.

You know I've never seen any other kind of pastel paper, such as Wallis or Spectrum, Linda - I need to try these things!

Tich
01-24-2006, 04:37 PM
Well it's so wonderful to know that you have such great friends taking care of business while your away. Thanks so much Gail for the posting and so much to everyone else that took the time to redirect and answer for me. I do appreciate it so much....:wave: I'm off teacing and we're taking the time here to check you all out on WC so it's not hard to convince these students to come aboard with this kind of show of friendliness :D

Cheers, Dianna :wave: and hi from Tich:wave: and Baba:wave:

Fingerpaint
01-24-2006, 05:29 PM
No problem! And Hi right back:clap: Hope you enjoy your trip to England!

ponting
03-14-2006, 12:05 PM
I just reallized that although I posted Fingerpaint privately, I should verify that all of these wonderful friends here are correct. I do use La Carte 99% of the time and although I'm certainly not opposed to trying anything....I have to say in all fairness that I've not given other papers a real trial. I always seem to be running behind with my shows and it never seems a good time to experiment when your under pressure. LOL

Tim Fisher from the UK has just sent me a sheet of his wonderful sanded paper which quite resembles Wallis. I hope to divide it up and give it a real trial before my UK workshops. I'm sure it will be great but I need some 'quiet time' to experiment so that I can give my students an accurate appraisal. I will come back here with a note about it later.

So thanks once again to everyone for taking over in my absence :wave: :wave: :wave:

Cheers, Dianna

KA Obee
03-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Hi!
Dakota sells a pastel paper sampler for around $25.00 that you might want to check out. A wonderful Wetcanvas member (sueb) just sent me an old sampler that she isn't using - I can't wait to dig in and try it out this weekend!
Here is what the site lists in the sampler: "Dakota makes a sample packet of 8 1/2 x 11” pieces of all of our pastel papers. The packet contains one sheet of each type of paper: Arches Cover, Art Spectrum Colourfix, BFK, Canson Mi-Teintes, Canson Mi-Teintes Board, Dakota Pastel Board, Ersta P400, La Carte, Schmincke Sansfix, Somerset, Townsend Pastel Paper, Velour, Velour Board, Wallis Pro, Wallis Museum and Wallis Grey."
KA

ponting
03-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Oh that's a good deal isn't it Kathryn. Especially in a size that you can actually do something substancial with. Anything smaller and one just wants to play around with rather that giving it a real test. I shall have to look into that myself. I'm off this week to Montana so perhaps I can arrange for them to be sent to their Bellingham store for me to pick up on my return.

Thanks so much for that juicy tidbit........cheers, Dianna :cat:

Donna A
03-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Dianna, I so thoroughly enjoyed visiting your web site. Gorgeous work!

And to the rest----anyone who enjoys the La Carte, but runs into some problems with the very delicate surface, you can achieve a very similar surface that will take some very vigorous handling----by using a moderately fine sandpaper on Art Spectrum Colourfix papers. It's really fun to experiment with how you can vary the surface's texture and response in this way. Take good care! Donna ;-}

Piper Ballou
03-14-2006, 05:03 PM
quick question...how does La Carte paper compare to Canson Mi-Teinte?
piper

*Marina*
03-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Piper, I just bought some La Carte paper. Haven't used it yet. Waiting for the workshop with Dianna in England. But feeling the texture it seems a bit softer than the Wallis paper. It is definitely a sanded paper which Canson Mi-Teintes is not

Piper Ballou
03-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Marina...thanks so much for the information, that is extactly what I needed to know. I really do not like Canson Me-Tenites at all and did not want to order any La-Carte if they were about the same.
and a workshop with Diana, how wonderful
piper

ponting
03-14-2006, 06:38 PM
What a great idea Donna. I have Art Spectrum just gathering dust in the drawer there. I don't dislike it but also don't prefer it so this will give me an opportunity to really have some fun experimenting. And thanks so much for the visit and for the great words. :p

Hi Piper. In answer to your question ....there is absolutely no comparison to Mi Teintes for my type of art. Any sanded or painted surface is better than Canson's. I used to teach on that simply because it is inexpensive thus freeing the students up to experiment. Only when I started working fullly on La Carte for my work and switching to Canson's for demos did I realize just how much more difficult it is to work with.

There is a lot of drag to begin with. Kind of like writing with a roller pen then going back to a bic ball point...they both write well but the bic takes slightly more effort. I've always used the smooth side of Canson's so texture was never a problem for me but if you wanted texture to show through, you wouldn't like La Carte.

Sanded surface can take more abuse whereas Canson's will start to pill if you work the surface too much. La Carte's biggest downfall is the fact that it will not tolerate ANY moisture. One teeny drop of moistre will lift the surface so one has to work with it carefully. I have never ruined a painting but a couple of my students have had problems that needed fixing so I am always aware that there is the potential for disaster lurking there :lol:

Wallis on the other hand sounds like it is almost indestructable. I have used it but not enough to give an opinion on it except that to say that I went right back to my La Carte .....again due to lack of time to really experiment.

I hope this is helpful.....

Cheers, Dianna :cat:

ponting
03-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Oh hi Marina...we posted together. :wave: Nice to see you here. What do you mean, you haven't tried it yet.....not even a little curious??? :lol:

Will see you very soon. Time is flying :D

Cheers, Dianna :cat:

*Deirdre*
03-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Hi Dianna...with Wallis...you could probably wrap your chips/french fries in it, wash it with the dishes...flatten it out...and do a pastel on it wet or dry when it's finished with!!:evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: Don't try this at home folks!:eek:

ponting
03-14-2006, 08:16 PM
LOL Deirdre. I may just have to test that theory. What a recommendation :lol: Have you tried Tim Fisher's paper?

Cheers, Dianna:cat:

*Deirdre*
03-14-2006, 08:20 PM
No, I haven't tried Tim Fisher's paper yet...how do I do that?:D

ponting
03-14-2006, 08:37 PM
You can find him at www.timfisherartist.co.uk Look under "What's New" Do tell him I sent you and ask if he gives samples I bet he will. He is in Leicestershire by the way.

And quit talking to me!! I am trying to pack my pastels and suitcase for Montana in the morning and you keep interrupting me LOL :evil:

Cheers, Dianna :wave:

Piper Ballou
03-14-2006, 08:39 PM
thanks so much Diana for the information...the reason I asked about the difference is, I knew what Canson was but did not have clue about La Carte..I am glad I asked that way...I do not like Canson at all and would not even try La Carte is it was about the same.
I am a big fan of Wallis, and think it is about my favorite, and I have done a few animal portraits velour but worry that pastel will fall off, but so far so good..
think I am going to order some La Carte and give a try...I will let you know how it turns out
thanks again...and thanks fingerpaint for starting this thread
piper

*Deirdre*
03-14-2006, 08:49 PM
And quit talking to me!! I am trying to pack my pastels and suitcase for Montana in the morning and you keep interrupting me LOL :evil:

Cheers, Dianna :wave:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2006/33616-23460-Smiley_too_funny.gif :wave:

Piper Ballou
03-14-2006, 08:56 PM
sorry Dianna,, but I have one more question and then I will be quiet for a while...
what type of pastels to you use on La Carte?
piper

ponting
03-14-2006, 08:56 PM
You liked that did you Dee?? :evil: :thumbsup: And why aren't you in bed. My gosh it must be.....hmmm....at leat 1 in the morning there? :eek:

Piper..... your work is so good that I think any paper would work for you. :p

Cheers, Dianna:wave:

ponting
03-14-2006, 08:59 PM
I know what's gonna happen at this workshop. You're going to roll in about 1:30 in the afternoon then turn into a party animal and keep us all up 'til dawn. :lol:

Katherine T
03-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Piper - if you like Wallis, then you'll probably like Art Spectrum Colourfix as well. It also doesn't seem to have a problem with water. I've got water on it by mistake and had no problems as a result.

ponting
03-14-2006, 09:12 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hi Piper All kinds. I have a large set of Holbein, NuPastel, Terry Ludwig darks, several sets of Unison, don't really like Sennelier (on Sennelier paper...that's odd :lol: ) and assorted Rembrandts, Windson Newtons and I do use some Schmincke for in the final stages. I prefer Carb Othello pencils but also use Conte and Derwent.

Love Pitt soft charcoal pencil and General white charcoal pencils.

That about covers it. :lol:

Take care........Cheers, Dianna

Piper Ballou
03-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Katherine-I do like Art Spectrum a lot...
thanks again Dianna for your tips...
okay, ordering my new La Carte tonight...LOL
piper

Donna A
03-14-2006, 11:57 PM
Hi Dianna...with Wallis...you could probably wrap your chips/french fries in it, wash it with the dishes...flatten it out...and do a pastel on it wet or dry when it's finished with!!:evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: Don't try this at home folks!:eek:
Yes, and that is how Art Spectrum Colourfix is, too! I've taken it into the shower with a scrub brush and had at it----and then used it again! If I only get the face of the AS Colourfix wet (as with a wet paper towel to wash off a demo, etc. or do a watercolor or acrylic wash on it) I can just let it dry and start in again. If I really soak front and back exceedingly, I need to blot it off and press it between blotters or many layers of newsprint and press. I have to do this with the Wallis Museum, even when I just do a wash on it. But they are both lovely papers!!! I LOVE that the Colourfix also has the matching Primer in a jar that you can buy. There have been times!!!!..... I can sand down a very unhappy area that I've sprayed and painted and sprayed and painted, etc. etc.----and paint on a fresh spot of the primer and I"m off and running again!!! Or---I can just prime my own rag papers, untempered masonite, etc! Well, it's lovely to have sooo many possiblities!!! Donna ;-}