PDA

View Full Version : WIP- momento of Son's first year...

LarrySeiler
01-03-2006, 06:54 PM
had to take the afternoon off to check out a bursitis problem with my left hip leaving a sub..but, stopped back at my classroom to dabble about 30 minutes of what I started earlier today. Since I won't get this done, and my wife wants me home...I'll share what I have as a WIP (work in progress)...

Based on the one I did of my 24 year old son's first large bass at age 4 with the lure...I am working on one of my other son's first whitetail buck as a young buck himself!

Here is the reference...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2006/532-jasondeer_ref.jpg

I'm using a 9"x 12" panel with the Hansen ground recipe...perhaps should call it the "HGR"...in my Guerrilla box...and opted for a greenish turps undertone this time...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2006/532-jasondeer_blockin1.jpg

here...I've taken the antlers a bit farther and start to block in the photo...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2006/532-jasondeer_photoblkin.jpg

Here's the end of today's session...and I'm satisfied how it is coming. I've not done much of undertoning complements really, but I am enjoying that feeling of using paint a bit more transparent in passages and letting that color be felt. Also letting it come thru here and there to create a color note continuity. Fun...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2006/532-jasondeer_endday1.jpg

and...though I'll take it farther of course, here is a closeup of my son Jason thus far, the tree his deer is hanging from and so forth...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2006/532-jasondeer_photocloseup1.jpg

what was fun too was limiting myself to no smaller than a 1/4" filbert to suggest the face and details and is already taking some life to itself...

more tomorrow I hope!!!

thanks for looking and commenting...

Larry

James or Jimmy Jim
01-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Good stuff Larry. How did you know that I would comment? :D

rosebard
01-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the WIP Larry. It is looking awesome. :)

coyote
01-03-2006, 07:25 PM
These are a great idea, Larry.
Do you have TWO guerilla boxes? It seems like the setup is in the same box as the painting.

How old was Jason then? It looks like he's holding a shotgun. Did he bag that whitetail with a rifled slug? Had to get relatively close for that, huh?:cool:

LarrySeiler
01-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Thanks Jimmy and Rose, much appreciated!!!

Hey Todd...you guessed'er...a 20 gauge slug...65 yard shot. Good first gun for a youth. I was pretty darn proud of him to say the least!!!

Larry

JamieWG
01-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Larry, I adore these family theme paintings that you're doing with the photos and a related object. They really tell a story. Such treasures! Looking forward to seeing your finish on this one. *pulling up a chair*

Jamie

LarrySeiler
01-03-2006, 09:29 PM
thanks Jamie...
I'm thinking in time, it might be a thing I might present as commission possibilities. So long as I enjoy them and they don't feel like a noose around my neck.

I used to do what I called "Sporting Portraits" and I'm sure you may have seen one or two of those...but they were 40-100 hour acrylics I did of people with their trophy fish and so forth all smiles and such. I did them about 20"x 16" up to 24" x 36"

Funny thing though is I earn $$$ in a couple hours of concentrated effort now what I did back in those days doing 100 hours or more. Its become much greater fun...a delight, so I'd look forward to a few. I'll do a few of my own, my brother in law and so forth...and perhaps build an eventual page on my artist's site.

My wife though...really questions me on these. Really wonders why anyone would want a photograph painted when they have a photograph already?

I tried to explain that it would require someone that enjoys paintings..the aesthetics, plus as a gift you bring up old fond memories I think

Larry

JamieWG
01-03-2006, 09:36 PM
My wife though...really questions me on these. Really wonders why anyone would want a photograph painted when they have a photograph already?

I tried to explain that it would require someone that enjoys paintings..the aesthetics, plus as a gift you bring up old fond memories I think

Larry

Wow, Larry, I'm really surprised by her reaction. The painting of the photo combined with the related object, plus your painterly interpretation, tell a story that no photo can match! They are so personal, and as commission items, I'd think they would be highly successful.

Jamie

LarrySeiler
01-03-2006, 09:48 PM
thanks Jamie...
if anything else and supposing I can get my hands on the unique items to do this, they would provide unique future gifts...

Larry

Lorijo
01-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Its looking great so far, it will make a nice set with the other one. I am surprised about your wife's reaction too. A painting usually lasts much longer than a photo too. Have you ever painted her? Most of the people I have painted were relatives, I think I have painted my husband five times so far. I think he likes getting the attention. ;D Lori

LarrySeiler
01-04-2006, 12:01 AM
well...its not like she hasn't liked work of mine, and Lord knows she's seen quite a bit of it. Just that as a subject...a painting of a photo, one people already possess...didn't register as something that might find demand.

I've wanted to paint her a few different times...and she seems open to it...but its always like one of those..."Oh...sometime maybe" things...

thanks for the comments, Lorijo

Larry

midcoast
01-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Very nice so far, Larry! I really like these momento paintings that you're doing :)

Nancy

LarrySeiler
01-04-2006, 10:27 AM
thanks Nancy...having fun for sure! Appreciate the comment

Larry

Margie L
01-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Larry-Joining in with the rest to say that this is a wonderful idea. I am thinking that I could do one of these for my son who is a tremendous mountain biker and my DH with his cars from the time he could first turn a wrench. LOL Maybe if you could think of one to do of your wife, she would see the value of these mememto paintings.

LarrySeiler
01-04-2006, 04:21 PM
thanks Margie...yep, its a simple idea. Perhaps you are right about that with my wife. I recently did a large portrait oil of our two dogs for our last wedding anniversary.

Larry

LarrySeiler
01-04-2006, 06:35 PM
well... a bit tonight following school again, near finish I suppose...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2006/532-jasondeer7wc.jpg

and a closeup...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2006/532-jasondeer_closeup2wc.jpg

thanks for lookin'!

Margie L
01-05-2006, 09:50 AM
Great finish-- Your son will love having this as a reminder. Larry- I admire and will try the technique of the complementary ground. The whole painting takes on a certain glow with the green showing here and there.

LarrySeiler
01-05-2006, 10:51 AM
I admire and will try the technique of the complementary ground. The whole painting takes on a certain glow with the green showing here and there.

thanks Margie...
that's been a learning curve for me here as well...also seeing that I like this.

I know that many portraitists in an alla prima style...(I believe including Scott Burdick) often tone their canvas prior to painting to help set the stage for this spontaneous unifying affect as they work.

I plan on trying this on some plein airs in the very near future and see what happens...

I don't know why sometimes it takes so long for one to stumble on something, especially when others are generous in sharing their methods... but it must be that whole wrapped up in one's work thing I guess.

Its a bit like American Idol critics saying a participant takes a song and made their own. Just takes awhile to find a way to take something good, and make it one's own.

Larry