PDA

View Full Version : What about pastel over an oil painting?

No_Body_Spookmiester
01-03-2006, 03:54 AM
Hello. I'd asked about pastels over an acrylic now I'll ask about pastel over oils. I finished the painting I was talking about in oils but I still could do some more. I just had a really successful portrait painting experience using color pencils over acrylic and so I thought that using the pastels might work better over the oils. I know the cp's will not work. I don't think I have to do many layers of the pastel. Mainly I want it for accents. I have a hard time using the brush for some stuff I have more success with pencil-like stuff.

I won't bother trying to use fixative or varnish so that issue is not a concern.

What do you think?

:)

Khadres
01-03-2006, 07:38 AM
Well, I know you can pastel over an oil underpainting which is a thin turps wash type of thing and on a strong paper like Wallis. Not sure about an oil painting with any thickness to the paint layer. But why not give it a shot and see what happens? I like to see the results if you do try it!

No_Body_Spookmiester
01-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Do have another question regarding pastels over oils. I read about this artspectrum colorfix paste stuff, I think I have the name right I am not sure but you'll know what I am talking about. I want to know if the stuff is opaque or not. I have an oil painting that I could use pastels on but am worried the surface is too glossy so I thought about using this colorfix stuff like you would a workable fixative in color pencils. Would this work??

:)