PDA

View Full Version : 01/02/06 A Is For........

S.McPherson
01-02-2006, 08:47 PM
This looks like a lot of fun and I just have to jump in. I don't have much experience doing still lifes' but, would like to try.
We are all so FOOD conscience this time of year, I thought I would start with "A" and see how far I can go. All comments are welcomed. Thanks for looking. Now I have to go eat my "A...." :wave: Sandyhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2006/65215-100_0153.JPG

JamieWG
01-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Hehehe! Sandy, what a fun way to work your way through the alphabet. I take it this is watercolor...Can you tell us what size it is? You asked for C&C, so....Looking at your cast shadows, it appears the light is coming from the right. However, according to the shading on the knife itself and the apple, I don't see that same light source. I would expect to see the left side of the knife handle shaded, and the same with the apple. I see a little bit of darker color on the left side of the apple, but I see some on the right side too. Hope this helps. It looks like you had fun with this. I'm looking forward to the "B" painting!

Jamie

S.McPherson
01-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Jamie, Thanks so much. I thought I put the info in my post but, guess I didn't. It is watercolor, 6x8 on Arches 300#. Maybe it was my set up but, I didn't really see too much shadow...there were darks on both sides of the apple. I will pay more attention to that light source. Thanks again, this is going to be fun and I know I will learn a lot!:)

tyree
01-02-2006, 11:40 PM
what a great idea Sandy, very very nice job too on your apple!!!! tyree:clap: :wave:

JanB
01-03-2006, 07:21 AM
Sandy, your handling of the watercolor is very nice. Sometimes if the light source isn't very strong or direct you won't actually see clearly the values you would expect IMHO it's best then to paint what you know should be there to help the final result along.