PDA

View Full Version : Thalo Green...Incidental

LarrySeiler
01-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Needed to unwind after school today. A young student getting his hands into my oils (that's a no no here!!!) denied he was at my desk, apparently wiping the evidence off on the bottom of his shoe!

You guessed it...W&N Bright Red tracked all the way down the hall and several carpets. I spent about 50 minutes with Simple Green, can of Knock Out and the mop scrubbing and rubbing!!!

So...did this 5"x 7" oil on board, Hansen's pumice recipe...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2006/532-viridianwc.jpg

and a closeup...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2006/532-viridiancloseup.jpg

about two hours I suppose. Started with a red turpsy undertoning of the panel...

Larry

DLGardner
01-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Oh no!! That is most unfortunate Larry. Kids!

I love your colors here but I'm a little confused as to the circular shape to the right. Guess I'm not familiar with the object.

So much for bringing oils to school.

Dianne

Donna Theis
01-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Fantastic! Another small treasure. I really enjoy looking at your work. If you ever have a workshop here in the N.E. sign me up.
Must add Knock out to my shopping list........ some colors just want to travel. Especially aliz. crimson around here. I also want to try Hanson's pumice board as soon as I finish portrait I'm working on.

JamieWG
01-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Larry, it's a good thing he didn't track that thalo green around! But geez....You'd think that faced with that evidence, he'd at least offer to clean it up. I like your deep reddish background and all the colors reflecting off the top of the tube. Another nice incidental off your brushes!

Jamie

Lorijo
01-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Larry it looks great, looks like you are almost out of thalo green though!

Sheesh, that kid needs to clean your brushes for at least a week! :evil: :D Lori

Bill Wray
01-02-2006, 11:29 PM
nice I like the air in the background.

LarrySeiler
01-03-2006, 12:33 AM
thanks everyone...appreciate the comments.

Yeah...I called my wife up after school, said I wasn't coming home for awhile. That I needed to clear my head...get lost in a painting. When I told her what happend she understood and said she'd have dinner ready for me to heat up when I got home!

I ended up taking up the buff of the wax on the floors off...which didn't make the custodians very happy...but, they appreciated that I labored to get the paint off. Technically...as a teacher, I didn't have to do that, it would have been their job. I was just so aggravated that it was therapy to scrub and rub!

Besides...it just seemed like asking them more than they should have to be doing.

Appreciate the comment on the background Bill...I let my wife know.

She has been hounding me of late with these little incidentals to be a bit more experimentive from what I had been doing with the backgrounds. She was very accepting of this one.

I chose a red undertone to complement the green tube...and let it show in many places thru the paint overlayer. Including around edges here and there of the paint tube itself. Figured it would give an airy feeling..and a sense of continuity.

I'll play around more...and these little incidentals are a good time to work such things out.

Larry

JanB
01-03-2006, 08:29 AM
There's nothing worse than paint that goes roaming! I hope your student knows that you spent almost an hour cleaning up...perhaps sometime when a little maturity has settled in he'll remember what it means to be responsible, when thinking of your example. Now about this wonderful little painting....oh my goodness I love the background it has a great deal of strength and statement, and I like what you're doing with the complementary wash underneath...good stuff!

LarrySeiler
01-03-2006, 08:55 AM
thanks Jan..
someone else mentioned that I had taken green, the opposite of red...to wipe away what this student had done...least symbolically in my painting. I told him I'll have to remember that for a future remedy! Just a cowinkeedink this time 'round! :D

Larry

Shelley Grund
01-03-2006, 09:29 AM
WOnderful little "Incidental" Larry... I too like the play on the complimentaries... but, on the wholeit seems a bit darker than your usual style... could it be the experience with the student "colored" your work?

LarrySeiler
01-03-2006, 11:00 AM
thanks Shelley...

the darker background was more the insistence of my wife. I think she still thinks of many of my earlier wildlife baroque influenced images I did. The darker values make a thing pop...but the obvious pops more. I've grown to enjoy what songs subtleties sing as well. However...I've nothing to lose on these little ones that ask little time to experiment and see what happens. Growth comes in such times as well as surprises!

thanks...

Larry

Laraine
01-03-2006, 06:08 PM
This is a gorgeous painting. I like the variousness of light, color, and brushwork. The gestural marks don't undercut the form. It's very enjoyable to look at. What a delight.

I don't recognize Hansen's pumice recipe... is there a link you can provide?

LarrySeiler
01-03-2006, 07:57 PM
This is a gorgeous painting. I like the variousness of light, color, and brushwork. The gestural marks don't undercut the form. It's very enjoyable to look at. What a delight.

I don't recognize Hansen's pumice recipe... is there a link you can provide?

Laraine...Marc Hansen is a highly regarded member of our Plein Air forum, and his recipe and thoughts on making panels is a thread we saved in the Plein Air Forum Hall of Fame subforum!!! Worth reading over...

Larry

James or Jimmy Jim
01-03-2006, 08:16 PM
This is very good Larry.

You could have neutralized the red on the carpet with some green. The things we forget on location. :D

Laraine
01-03-2006, 08:19 PM
oops, got impatient with and sent the same message twice

Laraine
01-03-2006, 08:22 PM
I've noticed Marc's work -- and agree he's really terrific. You're no slouch yourself. I enjoyed reading your recommendations in the thread on landscape books today -- three year's worth! I'll look for the 'making panels' thread in the plein air hall of fame. (this place is huge). thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'm really impressed that you paint after a day of teaching.

rosebard
01-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Poor you Larry! :) These are the kinds of paintings that have being inspiring me to play with color and paint more loosely than my usual stuff. Thanks Larry, your paintings are always lovely to look at. :)

LarrySeiler
01-03-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm really impressed that you paint after a day of teaching.

hahaha....well, that's my attempt to regain composure or sanity :eek: before going home to my wife that would otherwise have to endure who knows what!!! :D

thanks...appreciate the kind regards

larry

LarrySeiler
01-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Poor you Larry! :) These are the kinds of paintings that have being inspiring me to play with color and paint more loosely than my usual stuff. Thanks Larry, your paintings are always lovely to look at. :)

I understand Rose...and I suppose some tire of hearing me repeat myself, but I too stand in amazement sometimes. I look at what I am doing now and imagine my reaction were someone 12 years ago attempt to suggest what I'd be doing! So driven by labored hour after hour to hide visible brushwork and produce hyper realism...

...thus, I am rather pleasantly surprised and pleased...
I feel a bit sometimes like Scrooge having discovered a second wind and lease on life! :clap:

Perhaps I needed to go thru that taskmaster and disciplined perfectionist years to get to where I'm at now...I don't know. I have to respect those chapters of my life and not make light of them, but I'm glad to be honest that my heart can feel free to sing and enjoy what I am doing.

Larry