PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread Jan. 2 - 8

Paula Ford
01-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Hello Artists and HAPPY NEW YEAR :clap: :clap: :clap:

The Weekly Pastel Sketch thread is for ALL pastelists, whether you are using soft or hard pastels, oil pastels, or pastel pencils. This thread is for ALL skill levels.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos.

You can sketch for 5 minutes, or up to an hour, itís up to you. It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when youíre creating! So, get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us!!

It was a pretty slow week last week, but that's ok!http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314984
Please visit the Image Library to see hundreds of great photos! http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/)

Have LOTS of fun and I look forward to seeing all of your sketches!!

Paula Ford
01-02-2006, 10:34 PM
I'll start this week off with a little sketch I did tonight on Canson/black. Took about 20 minutes. Was just a warm up for bigger and better things :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2006/1978-stump.jpg

Khadres
01-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Looks like fun! I used to do a lot of little things like that, but haven't in a long time. I suppose I should try it again. This one looks like the stump of an old crabapple come to life again. Nice!

JamieWG
01-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Paula, that's a charming little piece! What size is it? I can visualize it as a very small painting in a narrow frame with a table-top type stand.

Jamie

scall0way
01-03-2006, 09:20 PM
Wow, very nice Paula. I played around with a picture tonight just to try to get in the painting mood as it's been hard to find time lately, and my art classes start next week.

This is one of those "need to look at it again tomorrow" things, but here it is right now at about the 45-50 minute mark, where I am stopping for the evening.

Paula Ford
01-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks Sooz. I knew I had to do something to warm up, but didn't know what and this is what came of it.

Thanks Jamie. I think it's about 4x4, really small.

Hi Debbie, I just love penguins. They are such beautiful little creatures. These are wonderful!

JamieWG
01-03-2006, 10:51 PM
OMG, Paula, I found some adorable jeweled 4x4 frames with table stands at a dollar store! They would work perfectly for your piece.

Debbie, that's soooo sweet! *big smile*

Jamie

mimitabby
01-03-2006, 10:53 PM
I have here two attempts after spending much of today reading posts.
the first is using only red, blue, yellow and white.
the second is my second attempt at drawing a kitten from a photograph that i have. please feel free to criticize, i am not going to learn unless i know how to not do what ever it is that i am doing wron g.
i have to add that the colors are not accurate, my colors are much louder and
not as mellow.

jerseybarb
01-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Mimi, I love that cute little kitten, you caught the action and the playfulness of it

Debbie, I like the loose feel to your penguins

Cat drinking from a faucet

This was a very quick sketch, around 8 minutes

binkie
01-04-2006, 12:10 AM
Paula, your sketch is lovely.
Debbie, your penguins are adorable.
Mimi, that's a nice flower. Looks like a colorful day lily - one of my favorite flowers. Your kitty is precious.

The birds of paradise are blooming in my yard, so decided to give it a try. I didn't get very far in an hour, but below is what I did:

binkie

binkie
01-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Barb, cats are such characters. Great sketch.

binkie

scall0way
01-04-2006, 09:37 AM
Hi Jerseybarb, long time no see. :D I love your cat. That is such a cool pose.

ExpressiveAngie
01-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Binkie- I am loving the absract quality or your flower!

Barb-:D, how adorable!

Mimi - I love love love that jumpy lil kitty!

Debbie- those penquins are very nice! I dont see a thing wrong with em! :clap:

Hi Paula love your mini-Frame it!

heres my little 15 min sketch - I thought yall might get a kick of why....
At the wde we have decided to lose some weight and get is shape as a group and one of the folks suggested drawing our temptation instead of eating it :) so here is todays temptation! pastel on canson

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2006/29518-Cnv1292.jpg

khourianya
01-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Yummm, Angie...too bad I am in the sketch instead of eat club or I would have been off to the store to buy something just like this :D

KJSCL
01-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Hi everybody

First time I've posted anything in the weekly sketch. Doing more quick sketches and drawing is one of my goals for the year - we'll see how long that lasts! :eek:

Anyway, here is a 30 minute landscape I did on a scrap piece of LaCarte. Was really hard to photograph something that small

scall0way
01-04-2006, 09:12 PM
LOL, that is funny about the WDE. I have not been back there lately since I made it a goal to only paint from life or my own photos - but I've resolved to try to lose weight too so maybe should draw some of my own temptations. Chocolate bar painting anyone?

scall0way
01-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Mimi, I do love that cute pouncing kitten, so perfectly kittenish

binkie
01-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Angie, love it! lol It would drive me nuts to paint my favorite chips. I'd probably have to have some.

Kathy, That's a very lovely landscape for only 30 min.

binkie

mimitabby
01-05-2006, 01:10 AM
Binkie- I am loving the absract quality or your flower!

heres my little 15 min sketch - I thought yall might get a kick of why....
At the wde we have decided to lose some weight and get is shape as a group and one of the folks suggested drawing our temptation instead of eating it :) so here is todays temptation! pastel on canson

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2006/29518-Cnv1292.jpg

I love it! i can almost smell them. but i'll bet you got a lot more
out of drawing them than eating them

Khadres
01-05-2006, 02:58 AM
Wow! Busy week in here!

Debbie, the penguins are adorable! Such cool critters anyway and you've done a great job on them!

Mimi, nice flower and cute kitten!

Barb, my cat used to drink from the outside tap just like that. Cool!

Binkie, hard to imagine birds of paradise with the weather we're having but you've done a beautiful job on this one!

Angie, Cool sketch of the Wavys, one of my temptations, as well! Why is it that everything that's satisfying to eat is also bad FOR you?

Kathy, that is a lovely landscape! Love it! So mysterious and almost otherworldly!

fortysomething
01-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Hello sketchers. I'm going to post this even though I've worked on it more than an hour. It's not what I consider "studio quality" but I'd like to keep participating with the pastel group in some capacity. The image is 11" x 8" on Art Spectrum paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2006/64375-wc_TwoPines.jpg

Debbie, excellent rendering of the Emperor(?) penguins.

mimitabby, are you an animal portrait artist trying out a new medium? Your kitten is very life-like.

binkie, I love florals and I've never seen a real Bird of Paradise. The only thing growing in our garden right now are a few stray carrots.

PastelMama, could I get a Coke to go with those chips?

Kathy, the waterfall is really beautiful.

jerseybarb- 8 minutes?!? 8 minutes?!? I hate myself.

Paula, I love the pink flowers. They look like the dogwood that grows in abundance around here.

ExpressiveAngie
01-05-2006, 09:36 AM
LISA ITS FAB!~
I love this, not studio quality?! I disagree with you. I would buy (if I had some money :) ) and hang this in a minute!

Khadres
01-05-2006, 10:57 AM
I agree with Angie, Lisa....VERY nice little painting!

fortysomething
01-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Thank you Sooz and Angie. :) My work looks much better after it's been reduced in size and pixelated onto a computer screen. :D

I have Viva in the basement studio- sure wish I'd remember to use it once in a while. :rolleyes: I've cleaned it up a bit so it doesn't look so messy, and put a light spray of Krylon workable over it. I haven't given up on it yet, but I'll probably try this one again. A comparison of the two might be interesting.

mimitabby
01-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Hello sketchers. I'm going to post this even though I've worked on it more than an hour. It's not what I consider "studio quality" but I'd like to keep participating with the pastel group in some capacity. The image is 11" x 8" on Art Spectrum paper.

mimitabby, are you an animal portrait artist trying out a new medium? Your kitten is very life-like.

LIsa, I love your landscape. the colors really sing out to me.

I am not an animal portrait artist. I AM trying out a new medium.
This is my second attempt at the kitten, it is from a photograph, i'm still not happy about the way it looks, but it's closer. I don't use any rendering machines to get my images, i do it all from eyeballing.
I have been sketching horses and cats on engineering pads for 26 years at the company i work for. I am famous for doodling but i'd really like to get some composition and color too; i'd like to have something that really looks nice; you know?

Karen Margulis
01-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Hi all! Everone's been busy! Great job on the sketches this week! I have a goal to paint everyday. I would love to finish something small everyday but that might be asking too much. Here is today's effort. I worked on it a little bit more than an hour. It's 8 x 10 on canson. It's from a photo I took at Cedar Key Florida.
Karen

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2006/53551-cedar_key_1.jpg

jerseybarb
01-06-2006, 04:06 AM
Kmar, thats a lovely scene

Bristlecone pine from the reference library

Done over two lunch breaks, I would guess it took about 30 minutes total

Khadres
01-06-2006, 05:30 AM
Karen, that's one gorgeous little landscape indeed! You sure get to go some nifty places!

Cool drawing, Barb! Bristlecones are ancient...kills me when they're caught in forest fires...even knowing they manage to survive and do come back eventually.

fortysomething
01-06-2006, 10:30 AM
... i'm still not happy about the way it looks, but it's closer. ... i'd like to have something that really looks nice; you know?

Oh my yes! :eek: and I've trashed alot of very fine artist quality materials in the process, too. I'll probably trash alot more before getting it right. Frustrating, isn't it?

Then I see something like Karen's landscape. I sit and look at it for... well never mind how long I've been gazing at it, mmmmkay? Oh, to be able to put colors together like that!

Then I go back to my basement studio and look for another perfectly good piece of paper... ;)

Khadres
01-06-2006, 01:31 PM
LOL, that is funny about the WDE. I have not been back there lately since I made it a goal to only paint from life or my own photos - but I've resolved to try to lose weight too so maybe should draw some of my own temptations. Chocolate bar painting anyone?

For me, it's almost any home-baked cookie! Oh! And pastry! ARGHHHH

Paula Ford
01-07-2006, 02:26 PM
WOW Kitties, flowers, potatoe chips, landscapes WOW!!

Great week for this thread! Keep it up you guys...I just love seeing all your sketches!

Paula

dlake
01-08-2006, 12:48 AM
Paula, your spelling like Dan Quayle. Potatoe? chips. lol. I just noticed you are in TN. I bet it is so gorgeous there. Must be why your landscapes are so beautiful.

Paula Ford
01-08-2006, 12:50 AM
LOL...was taking a nap on the couch this afternoon and it hit me I had spelled that wrong! LOL

It IS a beautiful place to live...thank you!

JamieWG
01-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Just wondering.....Does anybody post Neocolor II sketches here? They are a little like oil pastels, but are water soluble, so instead of using terp or mineral spirits to create a wash, you can use water. I did a sketch last night with them for the WDE and don't know where to post it. I didn't post it to a thread for the WDE cause it would take me longer to reply to everybody than it took to paint the thing. LOL... I suppose here or in the Watercolor forum would be the most likely places....?

Edit: I guess I'll go post it to the WDE.......

Jamie

Paula Ford
01-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Jamie, I wouldn't mind if you posted it here...actually would love to see it.

Paula

scall0way
01-08-2006, 08:17 PM
I have been sketching horses and cats on engineering pads for 26 years at the company i work for. I am famous for doodling

LOL, a sister under the skin. I'm famous at work as a doodler, and have been doing it for 30+ years now. Even years later I've run into people I met at a technical class or something, and they remember me as the "artist" who doodled her way through the class.

But now I'm also trying to do "real" art as opposed to "doodle" art. :)

scall0way
01-08-2006, 08:24 PM
Lisa, I like your picture very much. I love the light hitting the tree trunks. Karen, I really like your Cedar Key painting too, which I already said on your blog. :)

Karen Margulis
01-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Debbie, Thanks for your comment! You made my day to see a comment on my blog! And I agree with you about canson. I find it harder to work on but my teacher uses it for most of her paintings and she does beautiful work! I am going to try to use it more often now.
Karen