PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Jan 2 Thru Jan 8

K Taylor-Green
01-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Morning all, and Happy New Year!! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we talk about our kids, jobs, families, and pets.

We had a nice beginning to the year. We spent it with my sister and her hubby, wining and dining. We stayed over at their home, not wanting to be out on the road with the nuts!

I have given up on spacific resolutions, and just make an overall effort to do better in those areas that need it. I just want 2006 to excell over 2005, but I'll settle for breaking even!

K Taylor-Green
01-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Below is a link, I hope, to last week's scumble. A conversation was started at the end of the scumble about selling or trading small paintings to our WC friends. I think this deserves further scrutiny, and would like to hear more opinions.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314975&page=2

CM Neidhofer
01-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Happy New Year everyone! Unfortunately, I haven't painted a thing lately. I hope to get back to it soon, but I'm enjoying my new relationship with Bruce and spending a lot of time with him. He spent Christmas Eve with me and Christmas with me and my extended family in Loveland. We both had to work New Year's Eve, so we had our dinner and bubbly Sunday morning instead. I know that sounds weird, but when you work nights, morning is OUR night! Our supervisor at work did spring for some bottles of sparkling cider and we all toasted the new year in and watched the ball drop on TV at midnight, so had a little celebration at least. I'm not making any resolutions to paint this year. But Bruce and I both love to fish and he has spots already picked out for me to paint, so hopefully I'll be doing some plein aire painting this year! They may never make it here to be seen, but I'll try! lol My birthday is next Monday and his is the Monday after that. He's taking some vacation days and I'm taking a long weekend. We're going to go somewhere for a couple of days. Not sure where yet and hopefully the weather will hold up for us as well. Well, just thought I'd touch base here. Haven't been here much lately. Hope everyone had wonderful holidays and that we all have a happy, productive new year. :wave:

Christine

dlake
01-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Well, I'm told I should do this to get to know everyone informally. for those who haven't seen my post, I am brand new.
Hello and Good New Year to everyone.
I think the person who is seeing Bruce, you probably haven't had time to paint and being in a new relationship - who has time to think about painting! Your mind is on love or maybe extreem like. Besides, when you feel the urge to paint you'll do it. We all need breaks. And Happy Bday.
The person who suggested an exchange or whatever, I personally think it'd be cool. I see so many people's wonderful art and would definitely want to explore it more. If the price is afforable!!!!
Okay, I have 2 cats - Tiger and Fluff. I have a dog - Tia. A husband, Rodney. 2 grown kids - Kelly and Eric. I like to garden, read, do yoga and learn new things. I have been drawing since 3. But, never really did much with it until several years ago. I started watercolor, then acryllics and found pastels which I think is my medium. I've been doing pastels for a year.
I have a brother who is a real artist. He does oils and is the president of the art association in Milwaukee. He got me going when I was little. Had to copy Alan but, didn't have his talent. But, I really love art and have a great love of doing it.
So, that's my weekly - a little about me so if I say someone's name you'll know what I'm talking about.
I'm really happy I joined and everyone seems so talented and really nice.

Pat Isaac
01-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Welcome to the pastel forum, Diane. Hope to see more of you around the forum.
Congratulations, Christy. Sounds like you are having a good time and Happy Birthday. Paint when you can and I know you will. I haven't done anything for the whole month of December as other obligations were there.
Have fun on yoour little trip.

Pat

chookbrown
01-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Happy New Year to all!!! Wishing you all the very best for this brand new year!!! Had a quiet day on the 1st so finally cracked open my oil paints (I won them in a show...LOL) and have been frightened of them even though they were my first medium some 25yrs ago... Started two but this stuff takes forever to dry... give me back my pastels...LOL..

WELCOME DIANE!!! The pastel forum is fab!

Have a great week everyone!!

Cheers, Colleen :D:D

K Taylor-Green
01-03-2006, 12:52 AM
Welcome to the scumble, Diane! We love meeting new people, and this is the best way to get to know everyone on a more personal level.

Artistammy
01-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi, Dianne. New Year's we went to church & then I painted some in the afternoon. It was great to get back to it after too long a break in Dec. Yesterday we watched the Cotton Bowl with the in-laws, undecorated a little but the day was over too soon. I've got 2 goals for now - clean up the house & keep painting.
Tammy

watergirl
01-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Welcome Dianne! Hello to all-I am definitely having a tough time with this move. I start a life drawing studio next week so hopefully that will cheer me up. Husband has been away since Dec 28 and I am on my own here with the two dogs and I don't know anyone. I know, a big adventure, but scary. And my Mom will not leave her house and come stay with me-she is not doing well since losing my stepfather in November. I was going to go over and stay with her (she is 5+hours away) but just can't seem to get the enthusiasm up needed for the drive. Florida residents are idiot drivers and the roads are packed all of the time. I thought Seattle was bad but at least drivers are polite. All of these darkened car windows allow extreme rudeness I think. I will keep on.

Artistammy
01-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Aw! Moving can be a horrible adjustment & being alone on top of it. I feel for you. I hope the class helps alot....getting out & being with people. I hope you find some new friends. Have you got out of the house & gone anywhere? I get depressed if I stay in too much even with family. lol
Tammy

scall0way
01-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Happy New Year everyone, and welcome to Diane. I see you are a reader, what sort of things do you like to read? (as one who is never without a book or two I'm always interested in others reading choice).

My New Year was quiet. My dad is still in rehab, and my sister, brother-in-law, niece and I went to visit him on New Year's eve. We brought sparkling grape juice and clementines and crackers and cheese and 'crackers' of the sort like these: http://www.absolutelycrackers.com/home.html where you pull a string to get a little snap, and they contain silly hats and prizes, and silly riddles. We all put on our hats and had some laughs. My sister left to take her daugther to a New Year's Eve sleepover but my BiL and I stayed a little longer, and then he gave me a ride home.

It was snowing hard at that point and the roads were nasty later on, so I was just as happy to stay in and read a book. I thought I might get to paint over the weekend but somehow it never seemed to happen, and I only got a little painting done in December. However next week my art lessons start up again at the Montclair Art Museum, so that should ensure I get *something* done every week at least. :)

Mikki Petersen
01-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Happy New Year to you all and best wishes for great things this year for all of us!

Hello Diane and welcome to the forum!

Christine, I can see your glow right through cyberspace! Good for you girl! Enjoy the excitement while it lasts. There will be plenty of time for painting when when you two get used to each other.

Colleen, those oil paints do challenge one's patience, don't they? I have five different oil paintings partly finished because they needed to dry and I lost interest and went back to pastels while waiting. Now I'm too lazy to drag the oil paints back out when the pastels are right there. But have fun playing with them.

Pat, I'm so heartened to hear someone else took the month off for holiday obligations. I felt guilty every day I didn't get to the easel, but family duty kept calling and, of course, Kamp Gramma was in full swing. I did manage to do a lot of drawing since two of the grandkids got easels and art supplies from me for Christmas so we did a lot of art lessons.

Goodness, Molly! Could you have made a bigger move? You moved about as far from where you were as you can without leaving the Country all together. No wonder you are feeling displaced. I only moved 50 miles in my last move and even that took a lot of adjustment. I hope you enjoy your class and find some new friends there. That will certainly help settle you.

Debbie, what a nice thing to do for your Dad. Being hospitalized over the holidays can be really upsetting.

As for me, you've all probably seen how we are being washed away in Northern California on the national news. We have seen better than 10" of rain on our raingage! Fortunately our house sits atop a hill on a plateau of sorts so we are high and dry with no danger of sliding. High water did wash out our bridge on the road to town, though, and the alternate route has been intermittantly closed do to mudslides. So we are sticking close to home, which is fine since I'm battling the flu at present.

But...hey!...It's January and all that holiday foolishness is far, far away and it's time to get painting again.

Happy painting everyone!

Mikki

artbycecilia
01-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new around here too, but I've been on everyday, reading and studying. I even get on here during my lunch break. When I was little I painted everyday, everywhere and painted everything. I sold my first painting at age 13. It's always been my passion. But life got in the way. I was married and had 2 girls in about a period of 3 years. It's been relatively mind blowing trying to get used to this life. However, things are getting easier as we all get accustomed to this new way of living.

So, I too understand about being out of commission. But, I literally haven't painted in at least 2 years.

I'm so happy to have found this place with so many people painting, talking about techniques, and helping each other improve. It's wonderful. I'm studying more than ever before and I have high hopes for my future as an artist. Everyone here is so inspiring and talented, I'm so blessed to have found this place!

I have a beautiful husband, a 3 year old girl, and a 1 year old girl. A German Shepard Dog named "Benji" and I reside in sunny California. I work full time in Internet Marketing and Design. It's really tough finding time to paint (and be able to concentrate) But I even take it into the bathroom while my girls are taking a bath!

Any way, New Years was amazing! My girls went to bed around 10pm, and I stayed up for my husband who had to work. He walked in just as the ball dropped and everyone was saying happy new year! It was great and I got my new years kiss! Then we and some of his buddy's from work stayed up until 6 am talking about everything. I painted a quickie of a friends nephew during all that (he loved it--I'll be redoing it) and the next day we recovered from sleep deprivation. :-) Ah, what a wonderful world. Happy 2006!

Pat Isaac
01-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Welcome, Cecilia. You sound like me about 40 years ago.
Colleen, I have 5 unfinished oil paintings now in my studio from my oil painting class that I took this past fall. I am thinking of adding OPs to finish them up. At least I am going to try and do one and see what it looks like. They are all done on gessoed masonite.
Mikki, tomorrow I go to my studio, despite drippy cold that my kids left here when they went back home. It has been far too long.
Debbie that was nice you were able to spend time with your Dad for New Years. I read constantly, mostly fiction, some high brow and some low, but I love mysteries. What do you read??

Pat

K Taylor-Green
01-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Ooooooo books, love em. I love thrillers, just devour them. Don't mind a bit of romance and comedy thrown in. I'd have to say that Nora Roberts is my favorite female author. I love the FBI series by Catherine Colthur. I like Steven King, Sandra Brown, Iris Johansen, Ann Rice, Tim Greene, Nicholas Evans, Nicholas Sparks, and many, many more.
But I just finished a book by a local vet that I am aquainted with. When I lived in Hillsboro, about 25 miles from here, he was my vet. The book is called "No Dogs in Heaven?" by Robert T. Sharp. It is full of stories from his practice, very heart warming and funny, and some sad.
Oh, and do art books count?

K Taylor-Green
01-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Oops, Celia, welcome to the scumble!!

dlake
01-04-2006, 12:31 AM
Scalloway, I read nonfiction, like history, and for fiction I read mysteries. What do you read? Always looking for a good read - though I have a pile I have yet to start.

Mikki Petersen
01-04-2006, 02:01 AM
I too love the thrillers! Among my favorites are J.A. Jance, James Patterson, Jeffrey Deaver, Preston & Childs, Michael Creighton, Dean Koontz, Steven King, Lisa Scottolone along with some romance writers like Anne Rivers-Siddons and, of course, Diana Gabaldon. I even listen to books on tape while I'm painting and doing housework (when I bother with housework, teehee). I mostly do my non-fiction reading via audio books because I loose my train of thought easily reading technical stuff.

As for art books, I have quite a collection. Then there are the magazines. My new years res is to donate all my art, craft, quilting and cooking magazines to the library or senior center. It recently occurred to me that I carefully catalog all these magazines after reading them but rarely if ever refer back to them. Same with cookbooks...it has become so easy to get recipes and art info on the internet, that I rarely refer back to recipe books, even my old standards. In our tiny home, the space must be devoted to thing we really use, not the ones we are irrationally attached to.

Hubby is secretly hiding and hoarding his books and mags if mortal fear of my plan...

Mikki

Pat Isaac
01-04-2006, 09:35 AM
I read some of those authors too, Kate. Especially Iris Johanson, also Robert Parker who is a local author and writes wonderful repartees with his sidekick. I also like some of the English authors, P.D. James and Martha Grimes. I am now resding James Patterson's Sam's Letters to Jennifer, which is much like his Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas. It amazes me that he can write such sensitive books and then write his mysteries, which I also read. Deaver, Conolly, Evanovich, Scottaline, Grishom......and many more.
Of course, art books count. I have a whole wall of them in my studio and at home my husband says that soon the books will force us out.lol
Eek....magazines......I finally started going through those last year and now only keep the current year and remove any articles I might want to save. I figured pretty soon my studio would sink into the ground if I didn't do something with the piles. I even cancelled some subscriptions.

Pat

scall0way
01-04-2006, 10:03 AM
What fun to read about what other people read. :) My reading can be fairly eclectic, but I'm especially fond of mysteries. I particularly like British mysteries. I love "Golden Age" writers like Agatha Christie and Dorothy L. Sayers, and read them again and again. Right now I'm on a kick reading Carola Dunn who is a modern writer but writing a series set in England of the 1920's which reminds me a bit of Christie and Sayers. I like a lot of historical mysteries too, like the Brother Cadfael mysteries by Ellis Peters.

Among modern writers I enjoy: Deborah Crombie, Barbara Clevery, Lindsey Davis, Rosemary Rowe, Steven Saylor, Susan Conant, Sujata Massey, Sue Grafton, Sara Paretsky, Sharan Newman, Peter Robinson, Ian Rankin, Kate Ellis, Tony Hillerman, Hazel Holt, Katherine Hall Page, .... Gee I'm sure I could go on and on, and those are just some of the mystery writers.

Probably one of my favorite writers of all time is Mary Stewart. I loved her romantic suspense novels as a teenager and still re-read them regularly, and I adore her Merlin Trilogy. From that, and with encouragement from my son (who loves the genre) I also branched out into some fantasy fiction. When I was younger I had adored science fiction, writers like Robert Heinlein and Isaac Asimov and others from science fiction's Golden Age, but had never read much fantasy other than The Lord of the Rings (which I did love, and also loved recent movie trilogy) - but have since read more of it, such as author Robin Hobb.

I also enjoy other more general fiction at times. I love Alexander McCall Smith's sweet series set in Botswana, and the sea novels of Patrick O'Brian. Well I could dominate this entire thread if I kept going, LOL. But here is a question for you? How many readers here are also *re*readers? Do you read your favorites more than once? If I love a book I will read it over and over and over again. Some books I have read a dozen times or better. I'm very involved in an eclectic Yahoo group aimed most at people who love to read, and everyone in the group well understands the pleasure of rereading our favorites, but I find many other folks who think this is a weird practice. :D

Pat Isaac
01-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Okay, Debbie, I think rereading is a good practise as each time around you pick up things you missed the first time. I haven't yet done that but a few times as I have so many new books waiting to be read. Sometimes I'm afraid to read it again as I'm nervous that I will lose the wonderful feeling I had when I first read it. One in particular is Wuthering Heights. I was about 13 when I read it and just loved it, have this great romantic feeling about and wonder if it would change now that I am older.
I do, however, see movies over and over again. I am also a movie buff.

Pat

Artistammy
01-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Oh, I'm a big reader. I like thrillers, science fiction, fantasy, mysteries... I don't reread much though. Sometimes I will after a long time & I've forgotten what happened. My son's an avid reader too.
Tammy

artbycecilia
01-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Mikki, I love those writers! Michael Creighton and Dean Koontz are a couple of my favorite! This is a neat thread. It is nice to hear how everyone is doing in their free time! Right now I'm reading Body Farm by Patricia Cornwell. Pretty good. I just finished reading a really good series by Diana Gabaldon, starting with Outlander. You should try it sometime. Very long though

Mikki Petersen
01-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Cecilia, I stumbled across Diana Gabaldon's series long before it became popular. I just finished "Snow and Ashes", the latest in the series. For those not familiar with the Outlander series, it begins with a 20th century woman passing through a gap in the stones on a tor and finding herself in 17th Century Scotland just before the Battle of Culloden. The books are filled with fantasy, romance, suspense, mystery, humor, you name it. I highly recommend them but each volume, as Cecelia says, is about 1000 pages.

Debbie, thank you so much for mentioning Sujata Massey! I checked one of her books out of the library on a whim and loved the story. Then I dropped the book off and promptly forgot the name of the author. I'm off to the library...

Happy reading...err...painting, I mean,
Mikki

Pat Isaac
01-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Debbie, I've read all of Christie and Sayers. Great authors. What does Sujata Massey write about?

Pat

PeggyB
01-04-2006, 03:47 PM
OK, I know one New Years resolution for me was to try to wean myself off spending so much time on WC, but I can't stand it! I miss all of you and the give and take of conversations. Now you've gone and introduced another love - books! LOL

I too am an avid reader, and you've mentioned many of my favorite authors. (but I just can't get "into" Stephen King or Dean Koonz). I like mysteries, sci/fi & historical novels (both fiction and nonfiction). Debbie, you mentioned you are now interested in sci/fi. There is a 5 book series by Gayle Greeno - starting with "The Ghatti's Tale" that I've enjoyed. It takes place on another planet where there is a species called Ghatti that is related to cats, but these are larger then ordinary cats, and they can read the minds of humans and know when someone is telling the truth or lying. They "bond" with a human and are a part of the court system - well this doesn't sound so interesting in my recap, but they have lots of adventures and intrigue. You might like them. For anyone who likes cats, I recommend a book titled "The Fur Person" by May Sarton. It is a charming story about a cat's life as written by the cat, and it is obvious that the author knows cats very well and just might have been the person of the cat in the story.

OK - I think I mentioned Bob and I were going to babysit the grands for the first time last Friday. Well I'm here to report that it went fabulously well - we all survived without even a whimper! They were here for 4 1/2 hours, and didn't cry or whine even once. Thanks to the dogs and cats, and letting them "help" make dinner it was actually fun for both of us. We told our son and d in l that we can see ourselves doing this about once a month or so because it takes a lot of energy to keep up with them. They were really pleased that the kids seemed to enjoy themselves too. They have never been left anywhere before. When they went out, Lilia's sister came to their house to sit, but this time she had to work so we were asked. Here's a picture I took that night of Zoe, Bruce and Sonny (and in the background the arm of the sofa that Sonny ate just before Christmas! Fortunately, this particular sofa needed to be replaced, but not quite yet!)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2006/68149-Zoe,_Bruce,_Sonny_12-30-05.jpg

Now - I'm off to get some work and exercise done. Welcome to all the newcomers and be aware - this is addicting! :)

Peggy

artbycecilia
01-04-2006, 04:42 PM
ooohhh, I didn't know there was another one! "Snow and Ashes", does it leave off right from the last one? (I think that was DragonFly in Amber)
How fun!

Peggy, cute grand children! Bad Dog! My German Shepard ate our one sofa and completely violated it! (he's not fixed and ony 5 months old) It went to the dumpster!

And yes, this is VERY Addicting!!!!

bogbeast
01-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Happy New Year!

I have a few moments during nap-time, and wanted to share some photos of my cherub--she turned one on the 23rd, and said her first word 2 days ago--actually, her first sentence! "I want milk". Made it a lot easier to figure out what she needed that time, wish she would say more! The guy with the goatee is my son, Kevin--it was a real pleasure to have him here for Christmas and the birthdays--he just moved to Menlo Park from Minnesota for the job of his dreams!

Life is busy, to say the least. I'm glad that the chaos of the holidays is over--New Years was, as usual, basically a non-event for us. two birthdays and Christmas in 4 days is definitely too many! Olivia is by turns charming and a holy terror--her frustration tolerance is zilch, and everyone in the building hears about it! I'm sure that's typical for a one-year-old--it's not something I recollect with my son, but that was 26 years ago--but I also think that on some level she is aware of and frustrated by some of the delays she is experiencing due to prenatal medication exposure. She's clearly smart--I've seen some impressive deductive reasoning--but there are still subtle problems using her hands, she's been really slow to take to solid food or sleep through the night, she can't/won't clap her hands or do patty cake or peekaboo (except by using an object); kinda an odd mix of things. Still, she waved bye-bye twice this week, and discovered looking at her board books, after months of mouthing and throwing them!

books---well, somehow, I'm not reading like I used to.....Lots of interest, not much energy or cognitive power. I enjoy mysteries, love Terry Pratchet's Discworld series, am trying to get through the course materials for the Bible In The Near East course here--Middle Eastern mythology, archeology, Roman and Babylonian history as well as Biblical texts--it's interesting, but sometimes dense. Puts a lot of things in a whole different context for me, makes some things make sense for the first time. I still read mysteries here and there--Tony Hillerman, Katherine Forrest are favorites. Too many art magazines--am trying to break that addiction! Otherwise, I just look at the pictures! Oh, and layman's level child development on a regular basis:p

Nice to be putting my toe back in here a bit--welcome to the newcomers! and yes, WC can be addictive! Hopefully, I can get back to some painting soon, though.

Pat Isaac
01-04-2006, 07:49 PM
What cute grandkids, Peggy. I remember those days when ours were young, very exhausting. They are older now so no trouble.
What a beautiful child Olivia is, Libby. All your anxiety and hard work has certainly paid off. Continue to enjoy as they grow so fast as you obviously know.

Pat

K Taylor-Green
01-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Libby, what a little doll!! All those gorgeous curls. You are very lucky. I remember how emotionally draining it was when you were getting her.

Debbie, I loved Mary Stewart when I was a girl, too. I loved the Merlin books, but I think my favorite was "Airs Above the Ground", maybe because it had horses in it?
One of my favorite authors as a teen was Ellery Queen. I read everything he wrote, and had the most awful crush. Imagine my horror when I found out that "he" was a two man writting team! I was devestated!

I used to read Patricia Cornwall, till I got exasperated with her main character.
Another favorite series is by Robert K Tannenbaum, the Butch Karp and Marlene Sciampi series. Then there are the "Prey" novels by John Sanford.
I could go on and on and on!

Mikki Petersen
01-05-2006, 03:49 AM
LIBBY!!!! I was thinking about you only the other day, wondering how that adorable child was faring and how you are holding up. Happy New Year! Olivia is just dripping with charm judging by the photos and she is just precious. So glad to hear she is still with you and she looks like she is thriving.

My goodness! We all have such similar reading interests. Each time there is another post I find myself saying "Oh yes! I love that author too!"

Peggy, your grands are darling! They can really be exhausting, can't they? I often wonder after a day with grandkids, how I ever survived parenting. It is a very demanding task. But somehow the grands are so much fun, and just when you think you can't handle any more...they go home. And then we miss them.

Mikki

Khadres
01-05-2006, 05:44 AM
- but have since read more of it, such as author Robin Hobb.

I particularly like Brit mysteries, as well...just starting the new PD James, in fact. And cool...you like Robin Hobb! I don't know anyone else who's read her books...I loved the Assassin trilolgy most.

Have you read the Geo. R. R. Martin series...can't recall the name of the series itself but one of the titles is A Storm of Swords...I think that one's my all-time favorite after the Hobb as far as fantasy goes.

Yes, I do re-read books altho I usually wait a couple years between readings so that it seems fresh and new again. Don't know how many times I've read Gone With the Wind or The Far Pavilions, for instance.

We've got a massive collection of books which is in sore needs of thinning out, I'm afraid. The basement alone has thousands (literally) of paperbacks...SF and Fantasy mostly, many autographed...which we're going to have to get rid of if we ever move. The trouble is, I find it extremely difficult to part with books and impossible to throw one out, no matter how bad!

Pat Isaac
01-05-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm with you Sooz as I just can't part with the books. Occasionall, I will find a place that will take them and they will be used, especially the paperbacks. I now have some hardcovers that I can let go, but haven't found a plce for them yet. I am looking into the local senior center as someone told me that they would love to have books donated.

Pat

Khadres
01-05-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm with you Sooz as I just can't part with the books. Occasionall, I will find a place that will take them and they will be used, especially the paperbacks. I now have some hardcovers that I can let go, but haven't found a plce for them yet. I am looking into the local senior center as someone told me that they would love to have books donated.

Pat

We also have a "Friends of the Library" shop where volunteers sell used books to help the local library with new purchases not covered by the tax supported budget. I think the biggest drawback there is the job of hoisting them up the hill to get them there! Maybe when we get them all sorted we'll see about hauling a truck load up there and see if someone there can help haul them into the shop.

bogbeast
01-05-2006, 02:49 PM
I find it really hard to part with books, also--even the ones that really aren't worth reading more than 2-3 times, because you can remember everything in it (too simplistic, no character depth, that kind of thing). But after moving out here, and knowing we will move again in 18 months, or even sooner....well, I just keep looking at the library, thinking of all the boxes. My reading has slowed down a lot since I got CFS, because when I'm tired/sick I also can't assimilate much or remember what I've read. But how can I throw out classic literature when I'm looking at another generation of children to raise on books?? Especially if I really do attempt home-schooling?

Libby

dlake
01-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Sooz, I loooooooove Brit mysteries. Love PD James. and Elizabeth George is great. I've read all her books. And Peter Robinson. And ... I could go on and on.

marshhen
01-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Hi everyone!
I discovered Wet Canvas about this time last year, and finally got up enough nerve to post a couple of things way back last spring. I learn a lot here, and enjoy your posts so much that I have decided to turn over a new leaf and join in more this year.

I'm one of those who painted a long time ago, and only got back to it again fairly seriously about four years ago. This is such a great resource. A great 2006 to all!
:wave:
Verna

Pat Isaac
01-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Home schooling, Libby. WOW, you are a wonder. I would be and am so in awe of people who do that. I know I couldn't make that kind of committment and I just plain don't know enough. My SIL's daughter does it as does my sister's DIL. And they each have 4 kids!!

Cheers to you.

Pat

dlake
01-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Verna, Join the club of the interupted artist. Kids do that. Especially if your a divorced mom and raising them alone. Must be practical. Now, it's time for me and with a new (13 years) hubby who is so supportive of me...
But, for an old pen and ink girl who just took up color a few years ago, I'd say the interuption was good - I started up in color instead of black and white!! hahaha

Kathryn Wilson
01-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Oooooo, don't get me started on books! I am an avid reader, but have slacked off in the past few years since I discovered that if I read, I don't paint.

My favs at the mo are Jan Karon and Harry Potter. Of course, Lord of the Rings has been read twice so far. Mary Stewart was a big favorite of mine when I was younger; Diana Gabaldon's new book is on my list to read (thanks for the reminder). Clive Clusser anyone? Agatha Christie novels were all read ages ago. Science fiction's best - Arthur C. Clark. I was a volunteer librarian for a small, country library and developed quite a wide taste for literature.

Maybe you all can help me, since you seem to read much the same as I do - I've lost an author. She wrote a series about an English family who came to America and settled in upstate New York - she marries a native american, they have a family, but are constantly harrassed by the English government over a piece of land. Anyone?

See you at the library, uh, forum - :)

dlake
01-05-2006, 09:10 PM
I worked in a bookstore for quite awhile and can't place it. Sorry

K Taylor-Green
01-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Sooze, I LOVED the Far Pavilions!! Gosh, it's been years, lots of years, since I read that.

Kat, started reading Clive Cussler after seeing the movie Sahara. Don't tell Jess, but I think I'm hooked on Dirk Pitt.

Another author I discovered this past summer was Wilbur Smith and his wonderful stories of Africa. I learned tons of history in a fictional way.

Verna, welcome to the scumble! Hope to see you around a lot!!

K Taylor-Green
01-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Libby, I got involved with home schooling last January, when I was asked to teach art to home schooled kids, ages 5 to 18. Support groups have sprung up for home school parents, usually sponsored by church groups. Once a week, in my case, Fridays, different courses are offered in a classroom setting to these kids. These are classes that wouldn't be on their home school curriculem, like music, art, science experiments, sign language, practical Spanish, and several other things. I teach 3 classes on Friday morning. This way I can divide the kids up into compatable age groups. I make decent extra money, get long breaks, and get to teach art. it's great!

Kathryn Wilson
01-05-2006, 11:21 PM
Kat, started reading Clive Cussler after seeing the movie Sahara. Don't tell Jess, but I think I'm hooked on Dirk Pitt.

Dirk Pitt rocks! The book Sahara is SOOOO much better than the movie.

PeggyB
01-06-2006, 12:48 AM
Dirk Pitt rocks! The book Sahara is SOOOO much better than the movie.

Kat I so agree with you about this. But then books almost always outshine movies to me. However, I must admit that the Harry Potter and Lord of the Ring movies are all very well done. Love them all - books and movies.

I am really disappointed that Cussler has "retired" Dirk Pitt. He also seems to be doing several books together with another author these days (Paul Kemprecos). Not sure I like them as much. Got Polar Shift for my husband for Christmas. Now I get to read it :) .

Very young years favorite series - The whole Black Stallion series, and of course Nancy Drew...

Not to change the subject - but it is almost time for CSI...

Peggy
PS My aunt in ND was a county agent who oversaw the home school program after she retired from teaching HS biology and math. She often mentioned how impressed she was with the families that home schooled. Our area has similar programs to the one you teach Kate. It seems to be the best of both worlds - control of what and how your children learn as well as controlled socialization through the extended programs. Libby, Olivia is a very cute and lucky baby to have you in her life.

Kathryn Wilson
01-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Here's another addiction - the TV program "Lost" - anyone else a fan. If you don't watch it, there just is no way to explain the fascination with it.

dlake
01-06-2006, 10:52 AM
I have never seen Lost but, hear alot of people are true fans. It's so nice to have those guilty little pleasures like a favorite program that you are just silly about, or a book or a cd., ect. It makes life fun

artbycecilia
01-06-2006, 12:59 PM
I've watched Lost in spanish (my husband is a fan), so I don't understand 100%. I don't get in too much TV, but oohh, love "Arthur" "Dora" and I've watched "Cinderella" about a million times in the past couple months! :-) aahh, kids.

Khadres
01-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Sooze, I LOVED the Far Pavilions!! Gosh, it's been years, lots of years, since I read that.

Another author I discovered this past summer was Wilbur Smith and his wonderful stories of Africa. I learned tons of history in a fictional way.

Ohhhhh, Kate, I can never forget when Dago Baz (I think that was the horse's name) broke its leg and Ash had to shoot him....I must've cried for HOURS!!! Was so bad I didn't even CARE what happened to Anjuli after that...it was HER fault the steed got killed, after all. lol Great book!

I love Wilbur Smith, too! Try the River God if you haven't already. Ancient Egyptian history...something I never thought I'd be that interested in, but this was wonderful!

And yes, Kat, I'm a Lost soul, too! LOL You're right, there's just no rational reason to what draws people to that program, but I wouldn't miss it for the world! BTW, is the kid alive or not????

PeggyB
01-06-2006, 02:08 PM
I'm a former Lost fan, but the rest of the family is very much involved. You are correct - there's no way to explain it if you haven't seen it. My theory is they are all dead, and experiencing some sort of pergatory or their own personal hell or some such thing. In the last couple years my TV interests have switched more towards Survivor, and both Apprentice shows. However, I agree that Martha Stewart's version shouldn't have been renewed. I watched to the end, but didn't find it as interesting as Donald's is. One thing about switching interests: I don't watch any where near as much TV anymore. I'm more inclined to read as others watch.

Peggy

Kathryn Wilson
01-06-2006, 02:38 PM
And yes, Kat, I'm a Lost soul, too! LOL You're right, there's just no rational reason to what draws people to that program, but I wouldn't miss it for the world! BTW, is the kid alive or not????

Oooh, wonderful, now we can compare notes! I do believe Walt is alive - he was the one who answered on the computer, maybe. There are so many twists and turns that one just never knows and it could be one of the "others" messing with Michael's mind.

Do you go on the forum boards for Lost? I think I've lost my mind over this program, but there are people who are waaaaay beyond losing their minds - the things they come up with is bizarre. But, on the other hand, they also see so much more than John and I do - then I go back and re-run the program and see what I did not see to begin with. I don't think I've ever gotten so involved in characters like I have this program.

PM me with your theory on what the Island is - let's not bore everybody else - :evil:

Bill Foehringer
01-06-2006, 03:15 PM
I suppose this is the place to mention this. Today a reporter called as a follow-up to my press release. We did a phone interview and I sent some images via e-mail to her. Who knows what will come of it but if they take the trouble to call I'm reasonably optimistic that they will do a story.
Sunday is the big day. I get to hang a bunch of my paintings at the Gail Borden Public Library. Main Entry area. They will be up until Feb 5th. The last exhibit was a big traveling dinosaur exhibit based on Paul Serrano's African expedition in conjunction with the Field Museum, gulp. That's a tough act to follow. Just put one foot in front of the other and see were my steps lead. BillF

Pat Isaac
01-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Not a Lost fan here. I did watch the first 2 episodes and then had a class on that night so never got back to it. My daughter wouldn't miss it for anything. I am a big fan of Boston Legal.Can't miss that one.
If a movie is made from a book, I usually try to read the book first and most of them that I have seen lately follow the book pretty closely. Mystic River was one that was done exceptionally well.

Pat

Muffin_4377
01-06-2006, 04:08 PM
HUGE LOST freaks in this household too!!! I got hubby hooked cause I bought season 1 on DVD. He spent 2 days watching them all.
I got so mad cause I watched the first couple of season 2 ...then missed like 4 weeks or more...arghhh...then tuned in all there were all these new people on the freakin island...talk about confusing! Tuned into the repeat episodes over the holidays...still too many missing pieces, SO I spent the last couple days downloading what I had missed of season 2....WOOHOO I love the internet!!
Can't wait till Wednesday!

artbycecilia
01-06-2006, 04:47 PM
:clap: :clap:
Hooray BillF!!!

scall0way
01-06-2006, 05:04 PM
And cool...you like Robin Hobb! I don't know anyone else who's read her books...I loved the Assassin trilolgy most.

Wow, that is cool indeed. I've only met a few other Robin Hobb fans, although my daughter-in-law is one. I just finished The Tawny Man trilogy and found it fascinating and so richly detailed.

Have you read the Geo. R. R. Martin series....

I've read the three four in this series I think (are there more than four out? I think I'm behind). Wonderfully written though I have to take them in small doses as they are so bloodthirsty, and I can't let myself get too attached to anyone as you never know who will be killed off next!

Don't know how many times I've read Gone With the Wind or The Far Pavilions, for instance.....

I like all the books I've read by MM Kaye. I love books set in India, especially during the heyday of the British Raj. I've read The Far Pavilions a couple times, but my favorite Kaye book is Shadow of the Moon. I first read that in it's inital printing when I was about eleven or twelve, and read it many times in my teen years. Then after The Far Pavilions became such a big success Shadow of the Moon was re-published with about 50,000 words that had intially been cut out of the first edition as *long* books were not so acceptable then, and I have since read the new version several times also.

Though totally different, the talk of long complex books also makes me think of 'Dune' by Frank Herbert which I first read at age thirteen and have read many times since, and even read it to my son when he was little (and he later re-read it a few times on his own. One of those interesting cases where I never liked a single other book by an author, including any of the Dune sequels.

We've got a massive collection of books which is in sore needs of thinning out, I'm afraid. The basement alone has thousands (literally) of paperbacks...SF and Fantasy mostly, many autographed...which we're going to have to get rid of if we ever move. The trouble is, I find it extremely difficult to part with books and impossible to throw one out, no matter how bad!

Gosh, don't I know this dilemma, except that I have none in my basement as they would get moldy down there from the damp, even though I do run a dehumidifier 24x7. But I have books in the attic, books in boxes under the beds, and bookcases just about everywhere I can find space to put them. I think my bathroom is the only room in the house without bookcases. I have bookcases in the kitchen (though only cookbooks there), bookcases in the dinring room, bookcases in the living room, bookcases in my bedroom, the TV room, the computer room/art studio, bookcases in both the downstairs and upstairs hallways. Of course that leaves almost no room to display any of my art. :) I can't imagine how I could ever move and leave my books behind. I would sooner get rid of all my furniture and sleep and sit on the floor rather than part with my books!

scall0way
01-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Very young years favorite series - The whole Black Stallion series, and of course Nancy Drew...

Gosh how I loved all the Black Stallion books, and the Island Stallion too. I was also quite a Nancy Drew reader, but my real favorite was Trixie Belden. I liked Nancy, but I wanted to *be* Trixie. The Trixie books have just been reissued in the last year or two, and I purchased new copies to replace my old tattered ones I'd had for 40+ years. I only bought, and only will read, the first 6 books in the series, written by original author Julie Campbell. They were the only good ones IMHO, though later another author took over the series and wrote many books, but I never liked any, and was irked by the fact the Trixie and friend has so many adventures over so many years, but never got a day older. :)

The first six were great though. Heck, Trixie got to live in the country, ride horses daily, solve mysteries. What more could a girl want in life? LOL

True reading can take time from painting, but I sure could never give it up. I read on the bus to and from work every day, and I read every night in bed before going to sleep. I couldn't paint too well during those times anway!

Welcome to Verna too. I sure hope that now you have joined us here you will post and participate more often, such fun.

dlake
01-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Childhood favorites? Gosh, Mine was something no one probably ever heard of. It's called Caddie Woodlawn. Oh, how I loved that book. I must have read it a dozen times.

scall0way
01-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Caddie Woodlawn? I've heard of it. :) I even read it! But I must confess it was never one of my favorites and I only ever read it that one time.

dlake
01-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Oh Debbie, you remember the book? I don't care if you didn't like it. I'm so glad someone knows the book. Do you remember the Betsy books, like Betsy's Little Star?

Khadres
01-06-2006, 11:19 PM
The first book I ever read entirely on my own and still my all-time children's favorite was Wind in the Willows...I've been collecting vintage copies for years. Other than that, I can't recall too many children's book of my own except maybe the Bobsey Twins....anyone ever hear of them?

scall0way
01-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Bobbsey twins? You mean Bert and Nan, and Freddie and Flossie? Sure, I remember. I read them too! Those names sound so old-fashioned, especially Flossie. Anyone know a Flossie? I do know some contemporary Berts, Nans, and Freds, but not a single Flossie. I wonder what that was short for? My grandmother's name was Flora - Flora MacCallum - and she was always called Flo. That is as close a name as I know, and of course she would have been about as old as Flossie was.

GretchieLou
01-06-2006, 11:41 PM
I remember the Bobsey Twins and Nancy Drew. Rin Tin Tin's Rinty (his son I think) was my favorite, although not a mystery. I loved animal stories.

Gayl

K Taylor-Green
01-06-2006, 11:49 PM
If we are going to get into childhood reads. Who remembers the very first book you ever read, that had nothing to do with learning to read, like Dick, Jane, and Sally. When I was in third grade, small town school, 1960. I read a book called The Marshmellow Ghosts. I've been hooked on reading ever since.
Anyone ever read Shadow Castle? How about the Beany Malone books or Betsy, Tacy, and Tib?

My favorite TV show is on the Sci-Fi channel, Stargate SG1. Love it!! I'm not much for regular TV.
I used to love Dark Shadows when I was a teen. I named my youngest daughter after a character on that old show.

Not sure the book Sahara was better, but it sure was more extensive!! I was impressed that they managed to tell the story as truely as they did, with having to leave out so much! What tickles me, is that Dirk Pitt manages to run into Clive Cussler at least once in each book. Cool.

Sooze, Haven't read The River God. I'll have the library order it for me.
And I cried over that horse, too. You know me and horses.

Bill, I hope your story gets printed. Let us all know how it goes. We love it when one of our own gets great publicity!

bogbeast
01-07-2006, 01:34 AM
Oh, my the Bobsey twins! Read every one I could get my hands on--my cousins had a lot of them, and I was a weekly visitor to the library all through grade school. The Oz series, lots of biographies, Long-ago Lake or something like that, Phantom Tollbooth was a favorite! Still have Caddie Woodlawn, too. As for adult books, no one has mentioned Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code, or Tolkein.

I still have the Dick and Jane books I learned to read on--"school" was about the only game my siblings and I (4 and 8 years apart) could manage to play together. I don't know what the first non-primer book I read was, but the first one I remember was "Coco"--something about a burro or donkey. I loved Seuss. Now I like Chris Van Allsburg, as much for the illustrations as the stories--especially The Stranger.

Oh, and BillF, congratulations!!!

Libby

Pat Isaac
01-07-2006, 10:25 AM
First off, Congratulations, BillF!!
One of my all time favorites was The Secret Garden. Also all the Nancy Drews and the Bobbsey twins. Don't know any Flossies either. Wuthering Heights and the Jane Austin and Charlotte Bronte novels were another favorite of mine.
My kids watched Dark Shadows when they were young. Raced home from school, just wouldn't miss it. I couldn't let my youngest child watch it as she would have nightmares after watching it.

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
01-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Oh, yes, how could I forget the Secret Garden, Nancy Drew - another favorite of mine that I even re-read occasionally - Jules Vern's Journey to the Center of the Earth.

And, of course, horse stories by the billions - anything to do with horses. I even have copies in my library of Smokey, Green Valley of Wyoming, Born to Trot, Justin Morgan Had a Horse.

Now to adult favorites - Elizabeth Goudge, Gladys Tabor (Stillmeadow series), Jan Karon (Mitford series).

Pat Isaac
01-07-2006, 10:51 AM
That's right the Jan Karon series. My husband received the series for a gift last year and I have yet to read them. I'll have to start them as he really liked them, but have had too many other things waiting to be read and to do. Where is your 36 hour day??? My husband is a retired episcopal minister so that is one reason he liked the books.

pat

dlake
01-07-2006, 11:03 AM
I remember when I worked at the bookstore the jan Karon books were very popular. She had a large following so they must be good.
Off subject: I've only been a member for just over a week. I was doing some posting and something caught my eye and I noticed under my name, instead of new member it says senior member. No way. How did that happen and how do I correct this. I don't think a week's membership makes me senior - lol.

Kathryn Wilson
01-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Off subject: I've only been a member for just over a week. I was doing some posting and something caught my eye and I noticed under my name, instead of new member it says senior member. No way. How did that happen and how do I correct this. I don't think a week's membership makes me senior - lol.

You will go through many titles on WC - :) Your number of posts is what trips the new name each time. You are no longer a newbie! :clap:
------------------

Pat, I love the interweaving of faith, kindness and the mysteries surrounding many of the characters in the Jan Karon series about Father Tim and Cynthia. The Light From Heaven is the last in this series, but she is starting a new one. I read the last one in almost one sitting - had to find out whether they ever found Kenny or not - :)

dlake
01-07-2006, 11:51 AM
thanks Kat. I've been posting because I'm at a stand still on one picture and was waiting for my new pastels to come as they have colors I need.

khourianya
01-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Wow I can't believe I have been so busy this week I haven't been in here yet other than to lurk...and my favourite topic was on the table too...BOOKS!!!

I have been a voracious reader my entire life. Obsessed with books, even, some might say. I always have 2-3 on the go and sometimes as many as 5. I love the fantasy genre but also love many others

My favourite authours are:
* JRR Tolkien (just the stuff by him - the ones that were compiled from his notes by his son are so dry I can't get into them) I have read Lord of the Rings 10 times in 6 years. The story is still fresh to me and each time I get something new from it...my friends who are fans hate discussing it with me because I know it almost inside and out. (I have the LOTR trivial pursuit game and no one will play it with me :( )

* Terry Brooks - The Shanarra series has me captivated, though I love the Wod/Void series and the Landover series as well

* JK Rowlings - I am a HUGE harry potter fan (yes I stand in line on the midnight release dates and am at the movies opening night- no costumes though)

* Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials series is a rich, smartly written fantasy. Well worth reading all 3 books

* Michael Ende - if you just watched the Neverending Story movies, you missed the magic. The book is incredible

* Douglas Coupland - Canadian authour...quirky books. When I start one of these, I can't put it down until it's done.

* Jean M. Auel - when will the next book come out? I have been reading the Clan f the Cave Bear series since I was NINE! At 29, I still wait the many years between books for the next one to captivate me.

* Nick Bantock - the Griffin and Sabine books - he is a Canadian artist who creates original stories in really original format. The books are as beautiful as the unusual love story within

* Garth Nix - an australian authour who wrote the only book that caused me to made Cam shut up while until I finished the chapter. Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen So important for any fantasy fan to read this trilogy.

* Douglas Adams - wrote the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Such a fun space fantasy series. love it. love the movie.

I've also been reading all of the junky novels I've picked up at Garrage Sales for 25 cents lately...Valley of the Dolls (Jacquelline Susann) and a classic Lolita (Viktor Nabokov) so far. Love them both, though very risque - especially considering when they were written.

Now in less than a week, my library and my CD collection have been exposed here :D lol

Oh and as a kid I loved:
* The Bobbsey Twins
* Nancy Drew
* Trixie Belden
* the Sweet Valley High books (and all of the other series with these characters)
* The baby sitters club

I can't remember many others because I read SOOOOOO many - up to 25 books a week back then. and after I had read all of the Sweet Valley series at the age of 9, I graduated to thick, thick adult fiction novels and just kept up with my junky youth fictions series as light weekend reading. I find it funny today that I didn't discover Fantasy fiction earlier. At 23, I still hadn't read the Hobbit and my ex-husband forced me to read it and I fell in love with the genre and have escaped into magic regulalry since.

Other than that - work has kept me busy. I've also had contract work I've been working on so that has kept me away except for the occasional comment.

I did join the WDE Weight Loss challenge since I have alot to lose this year so I can enter my 30s in November without the burden of extra weight to keep me from enjoying them. My diet starts on monday officially and i am working on gathering groceries this weekend and clearing my house from the last of the Christmas temptations (my coworkers have been enjoying them thus far).

Pat Isaac
01-07-2006, 01:56 PM
Ah, yes. I read all the Jean Auel books and loved them, however, the long awaited last one I felt was a dissapointment. They did a movie of the Clan of the Cave Bear which wasn't bad.

Pat

khourianya
01-07-2006, 03:08 PM
The last one was a bit anti-climactic, especially after the 12 year wait for it, but the next one is the last one so maybe she will redeem herself.

Today I am going to hopefully finish refinishing the buffet for my dining room. It is a 1940/50's style buffet that will look nice in my 50's diner diningroom once I get it painted a glossy white enamel...looks great so far though only half done so i am anxiously awaiting the finish :D

Kathryn Wilson
01-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Me too, Jean Auel was a big hit with me - I even have the movie, although a disappointment. But try making a movie where people don't talk - :)

khourianya
01-07-2006, 03:15 PM
I guess I should have stated that too - I thought the movie was disappointing. It's been years since I saw it. It surprises me that further books weren't made into movies because in Valley of the Horses, they start to talk so it could have made good hollywood fodder.

K Taylor-Green
01-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Gosh yes, horse books!! And dog books, Albert Peyson Terhune, spelling is probably off, books about a dog named Lad, a collie.

I liked the Jean Aule books too, but I missed the last one.

khourianya
01-07-2006, 04:21 PM
The last book was all about Ayla's pregnancy and living with Jondalar's family. Not nearly as exciting as the previous books. I can only hope the next book picks up a bit more of a story.

lol - and I just realized that I wrote that i was reading Lolita by Viktor Nabokov...that should have been Vladmir...russian names always get me.

dlake
01-07-2006, 09:36 PM
It's hard for me to pick a favorite author. It changes all the time. For mysteries I like robert crais, Dennis Lehane, Ace Atkins, Elizabeth George, reginald hill, ect.
for nonfiction: mcCullough, Manchester, Page Smith's 8 Vol. series on America, ect.

scall0way
01-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Long-ago Lake or something like that

Do you mean Gone-Away Lake? That was a childhood fave of mine, and was where I first learned about the Philosopher's Stone. I was about 10 or 11 at the time, and it still peeves me that the the American edition of the first Harry Potter (I'm a big HP fan) changed the name of the book from Philosoher's Stone, which has an honorable and ancient history, to Sorceror's Stone, which is totally meaningless. I've bought all my Harry Potter books from amazon.co.uk even since. :)

How could I forget The Secret Garden! Read it many times. Also just about any horse or dog story. We always owned collies when I was growing up as Albert Payson Terhune had been a favorite author of my dad's as a boy, and I remember him reading me stories from Lad, A Dog, at bedtime.

So many other faves I see listed here, Jean Auel, Jan Karon, Douglas Adams. For years my favorite book was The Once and Future King, by TH White. My son got into trouble with his English teacher once because she mentioned that book and said it had been written by EB White, and my son had to jump up and correct her! But of course EB White was great too, and wrote the wonderful Charlotte's Web.

I've been reading so long I have no memory of what might have been a first book. I was already reading at home when I was forced into the Dick and Jane books in school. In school I was reading "Oh look, see Spot Run", and at home I was reading Black Beauty and The Wizard of Oz. Black Beauty is certainly one of the first books I strongly remember, but it certainly was not the first - which is shrouded in mystery.

Who else did I enjoy in childhood? Sherlock Holmes (loved The Hound of the Baskervilles), Tarzan, tons of science fiction. I had a phase at around age 11-12 where I only wanted to read US Civil War fiction, though no special titles stand out in my mind, but I did learn a lot about the war! Gosh, each new post here brings up new memories.

Other faves, Guy Gavriel Kay, "Katherine" by Anya Seton (made me fall in love with the Platagenets of England) - oh well, mind going blank again until the next thing sparks it.

dlake
01-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Oh charlottes web. I loved that book. It's was wonderful. I read that a few times, also. Now, I tend to read like I paint. 3 or 4 at the same time. My mother is from France and I read somewhere that the french have this tendency to have stacks of books around - even with a bookcase- and stack them by thier favorite chair, ect. It made me feel better. No matter how much I try to organize I just can't keep the books from stacking around my chair and doing little stacks. Inherited. I have to really stay on myself.

artbycecilia
01-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Gosh how I loved all the Black Stallion books, and the Island Stallion too. I was also quite a Nancy Drew reader, but my real favorite was Trixie Belden. I liked Nancy, but I wanted to *be* Trixie. The Trixie books have just been reissued in the last year or two, and I purchased new copies to replace my old tattered ones I'd had for 40+ years. I only bought, and only will read, the first 6 books in the series, written by original author Julie Campbell. They were the only good ones IMHO, though later another author took over the series and wrote many books, but I never liked any, and was irked by the fact the Trixie and friend has so many adventures over so many years, but never got a day older. :)

The first six were great though. Heck, Trixie got to live in the country, ride horses daily, solve mysteries. What more could a girl want in life? LOL

True reading can take time from painting, but I sure could never give it up. I read on the bus to and from work every day, and I read every night in bed before going to sleep. I couldn't paint too well during those times anway!

Welcome to Verna too. I sure hope that now you have joined us here you will post and participate more often, such fun.

:clap: :clap: Trixie Belden!!! I don't know anyone who knows who she is!!! My sister was a Nancy Drew Fan, I was a Trixie Belden Fan!!!! I'm so excited! I liked reading about her so much, I named my filly after her, "Trixie"!. Wow, this is so neat! :-)

K Taylor-Green
01-08-2006, 02:09 AM
Debbie, you are so right. Almost every post jars lose another memory.
I loved Anya Seton. How about The Silver Chalice by Thomas B. Costain. As a girl I read tons of books, historical fiction by authors whose work I no longer see on library shelves. Out of sight, out of mind, til something jars the memory.
Pearl S. Buck is another one.
And back before vampire fiction became widely popular, there was Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, and her series about the Count de Germaine. He was hot!!!

Muffin_4377
01-08-2006, 02:19 AM
My daughter's name is Ayla.....

Ya I like Jean Auel too, the first 3 books were my fav...

K Taylor-Green
01-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Oh yes, I have stacks of books and horse magazines around my end of the sofa, which is my favorite spot to curl up. The book cases are full, and runneth over!

angecald
01-09-2006, 12:13 AM
I remember Betsy's Little Star! That was a great series. I picked them up at one of those library clearance sales for my daughter, and she loved them as much as I had. At the same sale I got a couple of Rosemary Sutcliffes and a great Canadian book called Little Magic Fiddler. Has anyone ever read that? It was one I "borrowed to death" from the library when I was little, and my daughter loved it too.

I've never understood why libraries discard wonderful books that are in good condition. Space concerns, I suppose. I hope it's not that they think the books have become too dated, because they're not.

I don't remember my first "real" book, but I know that "The Bobbsey Twins at the Seashore" was my first re-read. I used to finish the last page and turn right back to the first. Noboby else in my family understood why I did that. It wasn't even my book. It was one of my sister's Christmas presents. But I just loved living in that little world. I guess that's the attraction for those of us who love to re-read. Obviously it's not the surprise element that keeps us coming back!

Thanks for bringing this topic up. It's lovely to know that others remember those wonderful stories and the gifted authors who created them. Beany Malone! Betsy-Tacy! Trixie Belden! The Black Stallion! I know there are modern writers who are just as good, but I really hope these books will be available for future generations.

Muffin_4377
01-09-2006, 01:26 AM
I used to be a huge reader as a brat...my first novel I can remember was Charlottes Web (Actually, my hubby is reading this to our daughter at the moment)
Also LOVED the Little House on the Prairie as a child...read the whole series probably 20 times. OH OH ...how about the "Babysitters Club" or "Sweet Valley High"....LOL.....Cori's gotta remember those!!!

K Taylor-Green
01-09-2006, 01:52 AM
My girls really loved Sweet Valley High and the Babysitter's Club. Both of them are avid readers. I love that.