PDA

View Full Version : The Goal Posts for January 2006

Khadres
01-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Ok, folks, it's clean slate time! Dust off your old goals and redo your resolurtions; we have a whole new year before us!

I certainly hope to improve my art output this year...last year was mostly a bust for me in a lot of ways due to health issues, etc. With luck, I'll gain better control over all that and begin spending a lot more time in the studio. At least that's my first new year's resolution.

This is the monthly thread where we can share, discuss, forumlate, and report progress on all our art-related goals but, just as importantly, it's also the place to offer encouragement and kudos to others as they pursue their own goals.

So take stock, fine tune your list of goals and let us hear from you!

Oh, and Happy New Year! May you all have a happy and healthy 2006!!!

dlake
01-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Hi. I'm brand new - not even a day old.
My goals are:
To get really serious with my art and be better disciplined.
To not be so critical about my work (which is good to a point. But, I get to the point where I'm not being productive with it)
To find the perfect pastel for me - which is hard because there isn't an art store here. The Blicks in Schaumberg has only a few brands on hand so I"m experimenting with different ones I find online. Which brings me to:
I am going to buy a Tasters set - one that has different brands.
Last but, not least: Do more meditating (I do yoga) before starting a project to bring the inside me out more in my work.
Happy New Year - it's going to be fabulous!!!!:p

Khadres
01-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Welcome, Diane! Glad you're joining us! You've got some good goals there and I like the idea of meditating before painting/pastelling; it's the perfect way to get in touch with the right brain and open up the possibilities.

You're wise to try as many brands of pastels AND papers, if you can, before investing too much in large purchases or sets, etc. I'd recommend picking one hard set and one soft set to begin with and then you can try others as you go along. One mistake I made at first was failing to consider that a color isn't just a color in pastels but also a shade or VALUE in relation to its lightness or darkness and that one value doesn't necessarily fit all needs. This is one reason smallish, ready made set are lacking...they usually go for variety of hue and ignore the various shades beyond the medium or middle value.

Anyway, you've got LOTS of fun ahead of you! Can't wait to see your first efforts and hear how you're doing! Be sure and join in in the Weekly Scumble area for daily life happenings of members...we're very much a family here...and the Weekly Sketch thread where Paula Ford welcomes sketches of all kinds which usually require an hour or less effort. It's a fun way to keep your hand in and your feet wet in the forum.

BTW, my maiden name was Lake! Small world, eh? It's a very rare name out west.

dlake
01-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Hi. I've tried alot of papers and so far have found I really like: Art Spectrum (which I can get here in town now), LaCarte and funny, but really enjoy doing pastels on Arches 300lb watercolor paper. Weird, huh? I definitely don't like mi-tents - too thin and feels like papertowels. I'm not crazy about Wallis. I love the look of pastels on them and how the color pops but, find it hard to work with. Well, I just recently got a chance to buy a few sheets and it could be the first time. I have 2 more sheets to play and get use to it.
Have you worked with Great American Artworks and Art Spectrum pastels? I tried the AS 6 pack and really like those. I have Nupastels but, don't use them much. I have been laying a thin layer of acryllic down before working and find with really good paper I don't have any problems. If I use the watercolor paper I do use Nupastels first.
I'm going to post a picture of some of my art as soon as I get the camera working okay again. Right now it doesn't take very clear pics. Sorry.
I'm glad to meet you!!:clap:

JamieWG
01-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Hiya, Sooz. Great idea for a thread. I wish you the best of luck and good health in making this a productive year in your art life.

Dlake, you've got realistic goals and sound very motivated. Welcome to the wonderful world of pastels! You'll be buying full sets of all your favorite brands in no time. :D :evil:

I've promised myself to do artwork every day this year. That can mean a quick sketch in any medium, of any subject, or just a half hour spent working on part of a larger piece, or a full day of painting. I find I don't make full use of small bits of time, so days when I'm short on time will be especially important to make myself do something. Lately I've been in my studio by 6:30am weekdays, so even if I'm interrupted early in the day, at least I can get something done before that happens! I'm planning to continue that schedule, and also somehow find time for art on the weekends.

I'm still trying to decide whether to create a blog to help push myself. I love following the blogs of Duane Keiser (http://duanekeiser.blogspot.com/) and Elin Pendleton (http://elinpendleton.blogspot.com/) and some of the artists here on Wetcanvas, but thinking about making that commitment myself gives me a headache. ;) I think I'd rather spend the time painting and posting the work here on Wetcanvas.

Jamie

dlake
01-01-2006, 03:25 PM
thanks. Oh, I know one set of pastels that I dream of: Full Monty.
Sounds like you have good goals. But, I think if the thought of doing a blog gives you a headache but, you keep thinking about it: Maybe you are just not ready to do that just yet. You'll know when the time is right. Kinda like art. You know when the groove is going, or the media is right for you, ect.
But, a blog sounds exciting. I hope you do it eventually. It would be fun to read!!

Khadres
01-01-2006, 03:27 PM
As to the Art Spectrum pastels, I have the full set of those (reasonably priced set, just don't buy it with lots of expectations of the box...pastels are fine, box is awful). Altho they do have some hard, scratchy colors here and there, most are nice and velvety and they do have some unique colors that are really yummy. I LOVE the Jacarandas and Spectrum Blue, for instance. They work especially well on the AS paper, BTW.

dlake
01-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Oh yes. I've seen the box. But, I found a fabulous pastel box on ebay. It's wonderful. 3 tiers and a carry handle. Wonderful.
I found art spectrum works and looks great on Wallis. Good match. I did see some posts on the Jarcada color. It must be wonderful. I'm thinking of getting the blues and purples 6 pack because I think the color is in there. I did get a scratchy one - a warm grey. Well parts were scratchy and parts were velvety.
What do you think about Artworks and Townsend???

Piper Ballou
01-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Well., I see you are in full force today sooz, thanks for getting this going. Welcome Dlake, you will like WC, it is a great place to be. Jamie, I went and looked at the blogs you mentioned, they are very nice
Today being the first is a time for reflection and goals for the new year. So here goes. Actually this is just renewing the goals I had set in Oct.

1. Keep up with this thread, post more often(if EJ reads this, at least once a week)
2.I would like to say I want to paint a certain number this year but that is really unrealistic, but, I need a goal and I seem to average about one painting a week, so I am going to try to stick to that. One painting a week, for fun, for sale or just for me.
3. Still planning on showing and selling at the art fair in May here in town. Maybe go to a few other art fairs
4. Sketch more, have fun
5. Continue to be active on Vpon.
6. I would like to take a workshop this year. Not sure with who or where yet.
I know I will probably think of some more goals as the month goes on.

piper

watergirl
01-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Okay and Happy New Year to all! I am going to do "art" everyday no matter, where, when or how much. I'm just ahving a hard time getting back into it after the move out here :) It is only temporary so that is good. Here are some photos that will inspire my work. Comments on comp etc are greatly appreciated!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2006/43083-keywest.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2006/43083-triptofla_056.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2006/43083-triptofla_028.jpg

Khadres
01-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Wow, what a neat place to live for even a little while! Take LOTS of ref pics and see how much plein air you can fit in! Tis lovely!

Kathryn Wilson
01-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Okay, Sooz, you asked for it!

1. Of course, paint more.
2. Set up personal web page.
3. Possibly do a blog.
4. Enter more shows.
5. Take a workshop
6. Do a brochure.

There, that's what I am aiming for. That also fulfills my goals for December as those goals were to think of new goals for 2006 - :)

watergirl
01-01-2006, 05:20 PM
It is different. Unfortunately, my two northern breed dogs, akitas, are having a tough time with the 75 degree weather and hate to leave them on their own so soon in a new place so haven't done any yet! I am signed up for a life drawing studio and a workshop with Biolchini in February!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2006/43083-dogsatpool.JPG

PeggyB
01-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Oh Molly - you are "missing" all of our NorthWET rain - and I do mean rain! I envy you the blue skies. :cool: The pictures of your dogs made me laugh. They are so not golden retrievers! There is no way I could leave our dogs in the vacinity of all that water. Bob has found a nice clean retaining pond at the developement near us, and Libby & Sonny head right for it even in this cold damp time of year. They will come back from their walk all wet, but at least it is clean wet. There's still a small area that is undeveloped with walking trails (and deer or bear you know what for Sonny to roll in!). Bob was very glad for that retention pond the first time Sonny did that.

Oh yah - this thread is about goals. Well one of mine is to continue to visit WC, but to stop taking so long with my participation because it seriously cuts into time for painting. I enjoy participating, but will have to wean myself from daily visits.

I know myself well enough by now to not commit to daily painting. I have too many interests to only paint. We are still in the process of remodeling the house, and I made the foolish mistake of taking on the responsibility of making Roman shades for the two family room windows - one of which is 1/4 inch out of square and I've already decided I want the shades on the inside of the window frame. I know how to do all of this as I've done it before, but it is very time consuming. I now recall (too late) the last time I made them, I had told myself "never again".... :evil:

One goal is to teach myself to better use oil pastels this year. If any of you have visited the oil pastel forum, you know I've been asked to teach a children's class in op. I know enough to teach this 8 week class, but would like to explore them for myself in a professional manner. I'll be doing a crash course this month because the class starts on the 30th. Any advise is welcome! The OP folks have been very generous with advise - very good advise too.

Well, I think I'll make another goal to keep a cleaner studio, and put away the pastels when I've finished a painting instead of getting out more for the next one. When I'm in the creative mode, I don't like to interupt it with cleaning, and that's a bad habit because eventually I can't find anything! :(

Happy New Year everyone - I'll be here, but not as often. :music: :) :music:

Peggy

khourianya
01-02-2006, 12:51 AM
I usually go on and on with my goals, but for 2006 I only have one. I posted it last month so will do the readers digest:

Put together a show and sale of at least 75 smaller pieces. Rent a hall, advertise it - everything.

Cam has already pledged to help me in any way he can. This probably won't take place until November, but i think I can pull it off. I do have marketing and digital design in my career background. I have educated people on how to market themselves for years - so might as well use some of that knowledge on myself for a while.

If i don't try, I'll never know if I can do it. I think my work is getting to a quality level where I should be able to do something with it. People no longer groan when they recieve a piece as a gift and I am getting asked more and more how much pieces are...

So that is it. I will paint and paint and frame and frame and then have a spectacular solo show and sale later this year. Likely just before i go to mexico for my 30th birthday :D

K Taylor-Green
01-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Paint more, paint more, and paint more! I let too many other things get in the way. Since I started teaching last year, I've let my own art slide somewhat.
Another thing is to come up with a more agressive marketing plan. Easier said than done.
I do well in the local shows that I enter, maybe I need to branch out, do at least two out of state shows.

Khadres
01-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Why not?? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well you do elsewhere. I'm with you, paint more, paint more, paint more....

Muffin_4377
01-02-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm gonna jump into this thread.....maybe you guys will hold me too what I say...:D *crack the whip....:evil:

Short term goal : FINISH THE FREAKIN DRAGONFLY!!! man if they handed out a "turtle award" I would definitely be the winner...HANDS DOWN. Seriously though, my friend will be here near the end of the month, so I would like to have it finished for her to take home with her. I know, I know....It should have made it there for x-mas...but my life has been a whirlwind the last few months. That's my excuse and I'm stickin to it.:p :rolleyes:

Long term Goal : Easy......PAINT MORE. Screw the housework...Paint More. I need to be more selfish with my time...No more caving when I get the "puppy dog eyes" cause someone is hungry, bored, etc....they can kiss my pastel scumbling arse....Oh ya and I'm gonna make a BIG "Do NOT Disturb" sign for my studio door.

I want to wish everyone the best in the new year, with their goals and life in general.

Cori, You get a show going, and I'm gonna try to be there!!!

khourianya
01-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Cori, You get a show going, and I'm gonna try to be there!!!

Cool!

and I now want to add "Kiss my pastel scumbling arse" to my sig line :evil:

Karen Margulis
01-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Back in July I started to do a painting a day for 100 days. I think I made it to 40 days and then life just got in the way! I want to start that again but add a twist. At least one painting a week has to be from life...whether it be a still life I set up or I get out and do some plein air (weather permitting). I really think the painting a day helped me so it is worth the effort! Anyone want to join me!!!????
Karen

pjo
01-02-2006, 03:44 PM
It sounds like there is a general theme going on here. PAINT MORE! Me too!
I would like to add words like, consistent, disciplined and adventurous. I want to try more than just my standard landscape. With that in mind I finished a new piece with an old dump truck in it and will post it in the softies area shortly.

I wish everyone a Happy New Year and may we all come close to attaining our goals.

KJSCL
01-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Well another one for PAINT MORE:D

My other main goals are to get more serious about selling, finally getting my website up and running, and revamp my portfolio/business cards, etc.

dlake
01-03-2006, 01:21 AM
I have to laugh. PJO wants to do more than landscapes and I'm just starting to do them. However, I will save what Kathy does until the very last - animals. they seem so hard. I think I'll stick with learning landscapes first.

PCool
01-03-2006, 03:57 AM
Hi All,

Goal Post for the year? Only one, "get on with it!" Paint more and often.

Peg

scall0way
01-03-2006, 02:07 PM
LOL, well "paint more" sure seems to be a theme. I only really started painting in earnest about last March, so not even a year yet, but I see that in that roughly 10-month time-frame I managed to complete about 75 paintings. I think that is a pretty respectable output so I don't know that I really need to push myself to paint *more*, but I would like to find time to sketch more, and I would like to paint BETTER.

This spring I have signed up for *two* art classes at the local Museum (both Tuesday and Wednesday evenings) rather than just one, so will have more time dedicated to painting from life, and some input from two different instructors, one of whom is a PSA Master Pastellist I've been waiting to take a class with, but he has been out with back problems since last summer.

So here's a hope for better art this year, and if more art happens too that will just be a bonus. :)

CindyW
01-03-2006, 02:36 PM
My list for the year...quite a few are started but not finished but the fact that they are started gives me hope to finish them. If I don't list them, then I don't have them in my head...out of sight out of mind.
Here's to "In Mind" all year long.
Happy goaling to you all.
Karen, I'd love to join you but the list is made. I'll let you know if I finish this. !!!!!!!!! Woweee!!
Cindy

Commission of woods pond
Fantasylike of turquoise water islands with fish
AD.'s "vacation home" ramshackle house
Paul and Lily in field
Mom's childhood home
Joe and the bubble
Grand Canyon
Canyon crevass
Blue fern woods
Helen and Lucy Chair
Dock at Dodge Pond
Blue water weeds
Maroon and Gray Maine woods
Laur on Hill
Lily Portrait
PEI ocean
Desert wilds
PEI Farmland
BC Vista
3 GKs

dortmatt
01-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Ok, here's my art resolution (I don't make the other kind--who wants to lose weight or get organized, right?) I have quite a few pastel colors that I have never used, so I'm going to use each color at least once. I can't use them if I don't experiment with them, right? I received a nice gift cert for christmas for the local art mart, so I'm looking forward to blowing that this weekend :wink2: More colors to experiment with. I'm also going to push myelf to try some different techniques that I've read about. There are a couple of local art organizations that I want to get involved with as well.

Kathryn Wilson
01-04-2006, 08:56 PM
I have quite a few pastel colors that I have never used, so I'm going to use each color at least once. I can't use them if I don't experiment with them, right?

You can also re-make them into colors you would use - just grind them up, add distilled water and voila you have a useable color.

K Taylor-Green
01-04-2006, 11:07 PM
I've already started my "paint more" goal. I started a new one today, that I hope to have finished tomorrow evening. It's not a large piece, so is a doable goal.
As far as committing myself to a number, won't work. I work slow and painstakingly. I have come to accept that that is just me. I could rush through, but it would make me uncomfortable, like clothes that don't fit.

Piper Ballou
01-05-2006, 01:36 AM
Cindy, I noticed you have the grand canyon listed as one of your goals, are you coming out here to paint and get your references....hope, hope, let me know
piper

CindyW
01-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Cindy, I noticed you have the grand canyon listed as one of your goals, are you coming out here to paint and get your references....hope, hope, let me know
piper
Piper, you are so sweet!! :cat:and you made my day!
I do have lots of SW desert reference pix already but I am so aching to get out there once again to get more! Not sure when the three of us would be able to in the near future. I've been 3 x in the 90s but it's been hard to get back out there much since marriage and my daughter came into my life. Lots of family obligations from both sides now here and in CT and ME.
I am so enamoured of the southwest that it will be in my future traveling once again and maybe more than a few more times. I'm not done with it yet! I will surely let you know my SW plans first thing. :wave: That would be a wonderful get together.
Cindy

khourianya
01-07-2006, 04:45 PM
I am so happy...today I picked up my Library winter program gude and there are courses in Sketching and painting at the branch naerest to my house. Usually these kind of programs fillup quickly so i called right away and was able to get in!!!! FINALLY I might be able to actually take some art instruction. Most of it is probably fairly basic, but it will be nice to be able to be there and perhaps plant the bug for other courses....

dlake
01-07-2006, 07:18 PM
One thing that is nice about where I live is that there are several places to take classes. We have 2 colleges. The Y. Library classes on Saturdays sometimes. And where I start my class this Wednesday:clap:, it's called Womanspace. A place for growth for women. All kinds of classes and lectures and things for women to grow.
We don't have any art store and only craft store but, we have many places to take classes and they are always full. There are alot of us begging Dick Blick to open a store here. Dick's main office in south of here and there are stores in places but, not here and we are on our knees going "Please, please,please"

Khadres
01-07-2006, 11:36 PM
YOU'RE begging for a Blicks?! Think of us out here in the West....nearest one is Las Vegas, Nevada! Classes are few and far between too.

Khadres
01-07-2006, 11:38 PM
I am so happy...today I picked up my Library winter program gude and there are courses in Sketching and painting at the branch naerest to my house. Usually these kind of programs fillup quickly so i called right away and was able to get in!!!! FINALLY I might be able to actually take some art instruction. Most of it is probably fairly basic, but it will be nice to be able to be there and perhaps plant the bug for other courses....

Sounds great, Cori! Keep us up to date on how it goes!

CindyW
01-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Whoa ho, this dropped outa sight! Just bringing it back.
I have finally got the holiday bins back up in the attic and have just a few little items hanging around I have to put in a bin. THEN I can get at my pix I listed here earlier since they were buried/hidden under everything Christmas related. The holiday decorating is lovely and I enjoy it but it's nice when it's all back in the neat bins and put away for another year.
I am also antsy to try out some painting techniques I've been playing around with in Photoshop....see how it translates in pastel.
Gettin' there.
Cindy

Karen Margulis
01-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Cindy, I like your idea of making a list of painting ideas. I have so many in my head and I really am a 'list' person! I'd like to be able to cross some off my list! So here is a start to my list:
Wildwood Boardwalk
Atlantic City Boardwalk
Cruise ship Tourist
Rockport Seagull
Bryce Canyon Winter
my 5 cats
Wildwood tramcar

That should keep me busy for awhile!

Karen

Khadres
01-13-2006, 09:30 PM
I love making lists...helps a lot plus it's such fun to be able to cross stuff off as it's done!

E-J
01-14-2006, 08:48 AM
Hi everybody. My goal for January is to finish my second go at the golden retriever commission, get it framed and make some money! Not looking any further to the future than that. I'm not sure I will post my progress this time ... I think I would rather keep the process to myself until I'm confident of the finish. It might help me to focus on the painting itself, rather than on my worries and fears about the painting!

Bon courage to everyone with this month's goals!

michellej
01-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi everyone,
Since i'm only just logging in for the first time this year, i hope everyone has a really fulfilling and artistically prosperous year.
My goals for this year is just to produce, and try to meet my goals. I think that's enough for now.

Khadres
01-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Nice to see you online, Greta! I'm off to a slow start this year, but many of us are already going great guns. My goal is much the same as yours so let's hope we both make it!

Bill Foehringer
01-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Yes, Paint at every opportunity. This means actually paint in studio when I can't get out to plein air due to weather and/or darkness. Do Nocturnes to help meet my goal of painting more.
Get the business/marketing side organized from more self promotion (ie.web presence gallery representation) to sales receipts, expense tracking, etc. In other words set up a small business as an artist.
Paint More!
Do more drawing exercises-perspective, etc.
Sketch something everyday besides thumbnails for paintings.
Paint More! LOL
I too, let the rest of my life take precedence over art. Aside from my day job I have to assign my art business high priority. I must take concrete steps each day to further some aspect of my art business in addition to sketching/painting each day.
Paint More!
BillF

Khadres
01-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Sounds like a great plan, Bill! Good luck with it!

khourianya
01-23-2006, 01:22 PM
I almost forgot to post this here too - my first painting of the year - towards my goal of a show in the fall:

"Crashing at the Cove"
5 X 7 softies on colourfix

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2006/47843-crashing-at-the-cove.jpg

Khadres
01-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Looks very nice over here too! :D

Ron Biggs
01-25-2006, 04:39 PM
I havenít forgotten the goal posts; Iíve just not even been near the pitch this month.:o
So, January goals Iím afraid have well and truly gone, I could make a list of reasons why but I donít want to boar you all too much. Life just got in the way of pleasure.:confused:
See you all in February.

Khadres
01-25-2006, 06:52 PM
Ron, don't fret...you are not alone! I have done little more than make a couple stabs at cleaning up the studio area and am fixing to build a tray for my new half set of Mt. Visions. With luck I SHOULD get into PAINTING gear next month! I'm keeping my fingers crossed now that we've all begun to recover from our respective bouts of bronchitis, asthma, flu-like crud, etc.

E-J
01-26-2006, 07:17 AM
I almost forgot to post this here too - my first painting of the year - towards my goal of a show in the fall:

"Crashing at the Cove"
5 X 7 softies on colourfix

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2006/47843-crashing-at-the-cove.jpg

Nice going, Cori! :clap: Getting started is always my biggest hurdle. How many pics do you have left to paint for the show?

Are you looking for C&C on this one, or are you done?

khourianya
01-26-2006, 11:30 AM
I think it's done. I had a thread in the Softies studio and got some C&C on it and made some improvements.

I still have far too many to paint for the show, but I have a summer of camping and plein air opportunities ahead of me, so am sure I can make my goal of 75 paintings. These small ones don't take me too long to do. I'm hoping to start hosting more VPON paintouts in February which should give me the kick to get painting.