PDA

View Full Version : Grapes and peach

rosebard
12-31-2005, 07:29 PM
My second attempt on a life study. I used a box which is painted in black. It took me two and half hour to do this. It is 25 X35 cm. Dont know why I started the drawing and used for the background bt umber, phatlo blue and alizarim. I lost myself on the process of trying to build up shapes and color. My brain just didnt work. I dont like the colors, it looks so dull and bluish green everywhere. I have a real problem to choose colors and work them out. I enjoyed the experience but I dont know how to make it work. wet into wet is so hard and I used to paint in layers.

The full palette was:
cadmio yellow light
lemon yellow
cadmio orange
cad red light
alizarim crimson
phtalo blue
bt umber
titanium white

Thanks a lot for looking and taking the time to comment! :) :wave:

Is it good ideia to keep the canvas toned with a neutral color? How do I know what color to choose?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2005/54461-photos_151.jpg

LarrySeiler
12-31-2005, 08:15 PM
I think its a good only second effort here Rose! Just keep at it..

as for background tones on ground...a neutral near midgray will allow lights to be seen readily as darks and it just feels like you're on top of the game quicker and more confidently. A bit of umber in that gray gesso will warm it up and you'll find yourself mixing your pigment just a tad warmer to appear warm by comparison which often helps.

The other thing to consider, which I'm playing with a bit myself at the moment, is to pick a complementary color or opposite that of your main color theme. Thus...say an orange tone where more blues might be..allowing hints of it to show here and there.

Larry

JamieWG
01-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Hi Rose. I'm so glad to see that you're starting to work from life. May the real fun begin! I think you've done a wonderful job on the cloth. The fruit too looks good. I'd suggest that you position your light source off to one side and subdue the other lighting in the room. That will help you to see strong light and shadow, which will give form to your subjects. This one is such a good second go at a work from life. Please keep 'em coming! Love seeing your work here.

Jamie

rosebard
01-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks Larry and Jamie for the response. Yeah for sure I will keep at it. I just love the feel of colors and try to represent nature through it. I will try to work on it today and get more practice done this week either with drawing or painting. Thanks a lot. :)

rosebard
01-02-2006, 09:42 AM
:wave: :wave: I used a natural light from the window. I am not satisfied with it and not happy the way the box either. I think I will try something different to see how it works. Problem is I think I have difficult on the reference and instead I concentrate on the painting. I noticed I am painting what I think it is there instead of painting what I see. Plus, color is really an issue for me. Anyway, practice, practice and practice plus looking for the pieces that are missing on my head to make it work. Thanks a lot for looking and encoraging me to continue. :)

I added ultra blue instead of phtalo blue and used it to grey the orange. Did it help? Also I added ultra to the background and reworked it with bt umber. I think I have really a problem in working on such colors and making bg so dark. I will try making my set to work in another way to see what happens on my next try and keep the palette simple eliminating this earth colors I was so used to use. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2006/54461-photos_158.jpg

DMcGowan
01-05-2006, 10:59 PM
I happen to LOVE the teal-toned jewel colors that you have in there. As I scrolled down I was surprised,so that means they are unexpected'! and they seem to soffen up the grapes and punch the peach -a yin and a yang all in one piece. Also, I think there is an old fashioned-ness about it to which I think the color contributes. There's a 1940's feel to it. Sure makes me wanna do a still life too!