PDA

View Full Version : Week #1 Classical Art Cards

Nickel
12-31-2005, 06:29 PM
Hi and welcome to week one of our journey in classical art. It is just after 6:30 am Beijing time and Sunday and the 1st of January 2006. I am so happy that so many want to travel along and have some fun in this creative experience. This journey is to sketch or paint classical paintings, drawings, and/or sculpture art cards, one card each week for the next 52 weeks. These cards can be any size and of any material you choose with however you want to make them. I know some people do ďart cardsĒ a certain size, but here you can do then however you want to suit your own purpose.

The subject/topic should be classical themed (before the Impression period) since we are in the classical forum. It will be fun to see how each person makes their stack/deck/book of cards. If you would like, it would be great to read about your classical artist/s you have chosen for the current week card. Anything about your card and the experience you have in making it will surely make the journey more pleasurable.

The goal is one card a week for 52 weeks. Each week a new thread will be started for the new week on Sunday. If you miss a week, you can catch-up or just start in with the current week card. It is up to you. If you have any questions, please ask and someone for sure will give some helpful answers. If you want to find some artist and donít know where to look, someone will try to help. No problem, this is a fun trip! Buckle-Up, and Letís Get Going! :wave: Nickel

Carey Griffel
12-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Well, I just read your other thread inviting everyone to do this...and then I got curious to see what I could do, so I thought I'd do a quick one to see how it went! I'm pretty new to pen and ink, but I have already been enjoying it.

There are a lot of things wrong with this, and it's not the best photo (late on a rainy day and all that), but, as I said, it's a quick trial. I did it on the back of one of my business cards, a suitable medium for this "journey", I think (even if it is quite small). :wink2: But...certainly I wouldn't have done this without your idea, so hey! I need some more practice wherever I can find it...and this seems to be a great idea!

Thanks, Nickel! And happy new year!

~!Carey

copy of Leonardo Da Vinci's "Study for the Head of Leda"
approx 2x3.5 inches
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2005/32203-Card_1.jpg

Nickel
12-31-2005, 06:57 PM
Carey, this is great, you know you are so talented! :D I am impressed, And Your the 1st to post their card:D Congrats! Happy New Year! Nickel

rosebard
12-31-2005, 07:21 PM
Hi Carey, this is cool. What a great start on the journey you having. HAPPY NEW YEAR TOO!!

mauricar
12-31-2005, 08:18 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2005/71456-basket_8.jpg
This was originally done by Levi Wells Prentice entitled: "Apples Tumbling from a basket". I am struggling trying to find something that I can do. I am hooked on baskets so I thought this would be a natural for me.
Am I in the right time period? Give me some dates so I know what to look at. Thanks.

Oh, this is Colored Pencil on Bristol smooth 9 x 12. All of my work will be this size because I can't see any smaller than this.

Nickel
12-31-2005, 09:15 PM
Midge, your apple basket fell over! :D This is a great first card! Congrats on #1!!! I don't know much about your artist Levi Wells Prentice, so I looked here, http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/art.asp?aid=389 He liked apples for sure! :D I like them in pie! Congrats again. Your dates are good! It is a lovely experience to see your art! I still have one more coat of primer for my canvas and will do that tonight so it should be good and dry by tomorrow. :wave: Nickel

rosebard
12-31-2005, 10:22 PM
If the artist is in ARC it is surely classified as Classical. When I am unsure, I run to ARC to check it out. ;)

Midge, thanks for introducing me to this artist, totally new to me. Nickel thanks for the link. It is going to be great to be introduced to some artists we dont know and see again some that we do. I love this ideia.

Now, you did great with the colored pencils. The basket is lovely. :clap: :clap: :clap: Love apples!!!

HAPPY HAPPY 2006!!!:music: :music: :music:

mauricar
12-31-2005, 10:46 PM
Thank you Rose. Happy New Year to you and all those who may post here.

AriadneArts
12-31-2005, 11:20 PM
copy of Leonardo Da Vinci's "Study for the Head of Leda"
approx 2x3.5 inches
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2005/32203-Card_1.jpg

Wonderful, Carey! Love how you caught her expression.

AriadneArts
12-31-2005, 11:25 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2005/71456-basket_8.jpg
This was originally done by Levi Wells Prentice entitled: "Apples Tumbling from a basket".

Well done, Midge! You've especially gotten that basket spot on. And thanks for the intro to an artist I was unfamiliar with. Oh, this is fun! :D

Fish<><
12-31-2005, 11:42 PM
Beautiful ink work Carey!! :clap:
Great work on the apples Midge! :clap:

I hope I don't get kicked off this trip too early, but I bent the rules a little. It's still 2005 here and I started my 1st one and it comes a little after the Impressionists. It is a study of Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec's Ambassadeurs: Aristide Bruant. I'll pay better attention to the timeframes next week, but I had to have a cover for my "Journey Journal" and I have trouble ignoring Lautrec's work.

Here is step 1. 12" x 12" paper. So far only ink. I'm going to use watercolor from here and see what happens.

mauricar
12-31-2005, 11:49 PM
What an excellent idea. Thank you. I need to make something fun for the cover.

JennN
01-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Hi, all! Good morning and Happy New Year!
I have started my prelim for pic#1, taken from the following piece:

The Venetian Bather -Paul Peel 1860-1892

Off the the store to purchase the needed colors! (the 24 pack just doesn't quite cut it.:D )
Will post a scan of my progression later today.
Happy painting!

Jenn

(following: ref. pic taken from ARC. Thanks for the link, Nickel!!;) )

dex
01-01-2006, 11:02 AM
CAREY........
MIDGE........
FISH...........

great start,well done.

but could I make a suggestion!.........
leave out pic,when commenting on post's?(as I'm likely to comment to "wrong!" person) :)).......(have to be carefull at my age lol)
dex

JennN
01-01-2006, 12:16 PM
sorry, I should have posted my ref with the appropriate icon. (to denote nudity)
so sorry.:o

bjs0704
01-01-2006, 12:32 PM
No problem, Jenn! I've put a butt icon on the thread!

Barb, the moderator:cat:

JennN
01-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks Barb! greatly appreciated as a few (not sure how many) will be nudes.
Hope this won't offend anyone.

Laraine
01-01-2006, 12:55 PM
The original is very large, oil on canvas painting. I was lucky to see it in Washington, DC in 1991 when it made a rare trip out of Czechoslovakia. It is a flickering image, hard to interpret in line.

Titian, The Flaying of Marsyas, 1575-76, oil on canvas, 83.5" x 81.5", 212 x 207 cm.
My copy was done using a rotring artpen on paper, fine nib, 8.5" x 11"

rosebard
01-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Laraine, you did a great job on it. :)

AriadneArts
01-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Laraine, you did a great job on it. :)

I heartily second that! :clap:

JennN
01-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Wow! Super, Laraine!

Nickel
01-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Hi Folks, Barb had asked me about art cards; so I went looking and the ones a lot of people do are really small, and like I said here we can do them the size we want for own end purpose.

But for those that want to know I think the size is 2.5x3.5 inches.

Below is a picture so you can see and compare the size of a 37ml tube of paint, a ruler, a regular size playing card, it is 2.5x3.5", a UNO card, and a regular size business card.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2006/39040-Image001.jpg

Carey, I really like the idea of using an old business card. What a great way to recycle :D

I'll be back in a little while. :wave: Nickel

mauricar
01-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Oh my. I can barely see a 9 x 12. I don't know what I would draw if I had to draw that small. Probably circles or modern art. I can reduce my art and put it on card stock, right?

dex
01-01-2006, 05:14 PM
The original is very large, oil on canvas painting. I was lucky to see it in Washington, DC in 1991 when it made a rare trip out of Czechoslovakia. It is a flickering image, hard to interpret in line.

Titian, The Flaying of Marsyas, 1575-76, oil on canvas, 83.5" x 81.5", 212 x 207 cm.

Nice rendition Laraine:clap:,
(if a bit gruesome!!?:evil: ):D

dex

AriadneArts
01-01-2006, 05:36 PM
I have an idea to put out here. How about we set up each week's art card in a project format, starting next week? That way, we'd have the gallery to look at and when we reference each work, the post would automatically contain a clickable thumbnail. Just a thought. Although that would take the project out of the exclusive venue of the Classical Forum and it might attract a lot more people who don't regularly participate in the Classical Forum. Don't know whether that would be desired or not. Barb?

dex
01-01-2006, 07:04 PM
time for bed(before I change into a pumpkin :) ),here's what what I did in last hour(may try again tomorrow), :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2006/69694-classical_attempt_jan_1_05.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

rosebard
01-01-2006, 08:05 PM
That is cool Dex. What painting was your source?
:) :)

dex
01-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Rose it's from your link,thanks
Rembrandt(self portrait)1658...............i think :),
probably looks nothing like him :)
dex

dex
01-01-2006, 08:23 PM
duplicated ........sorry,pc too slow,thought i hadn't sent:(

Fish<><
01-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Larlaine & Dex - Great work! :clap:

Eileen - Good idea! I'd like to see these all in a gallery there as well.

Chloe_1
01-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Re: You are invited on an art journey :O)

Thanks Barb for the enlightening information.
I feel more comfortable now to learn, and to be inspired from the Old Masters .
I decided I was going to do the Art Cards format 2.5x 3.5 hot press watercolor paper.
This is totally new for me, and think I might do all paintings in this format.
We'll see.
The first one is from The Lovers by Italian Neo Classical Sculptor Antonio Canova(1757-1822).
I started off with graphite, and then used ink. I think I might of overdone it with the ink especially in the woman's face. I decide to post it anyway..as it is a learning experience, and really enjoyed drawing on a small format.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2006/68155-IMG_0020.JPG

Chloe_1
01-02-2006, 01:08 PM
I secone Eileen's idea.. That would be wonderful!!!

Chloe_1
01-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Carey~great ink work;-)
Midge ~love the apples just tumbling out of baskets;-),
Fish~ Nice rendition of Lautrec;-)

DLJohnson
01-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Hi :wave:

This looks like fun. I love seeing everyone's cards so far. I will see what I can come up with.

Great idea Nickel!

Donna

Laraine
01-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Rose, Eileen, Jenn, Dex, Keith -- thank you for looking at my drawing and sending compliments. This is a nice opportunity to share my work and get feedback. Obviously I blew it on the size for an art card.

The painting is wonderfully complex and has many interpretations. In mythology, Marsyas is a flute player who engaged in a musical contest with Apollo, and having lost, was flayed alive by the god. There was also a real incident of a person being flayed alive at the hands of the Turks that occured just prior to the painting's creation.

Fleur
01-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Fish, I love the Lautrec painting you did. A good idea to have a cover!!! I might do one, once I've finished all 52 though!!! :-)
MD

Fleur
01-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Carey, your Da Vinci study is full of movement. I love it. Mauricar, I'd never heard of Levi Wells Prentice and I checked out the link. His work is magnificent!!! You've done a good job with those apples... very brave of you!
MD

Fleur
01-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Chloe, another artist I've never heard of: Antonio Canova. I like what you have done... very dramatic. I can see this is going to be a huge learning curve for me... getting to know artists I'd never met before....
Dex, I like what you have done so far, but who is it???
MD

Fleur
01-02-2006, 04:52 PM

This is utterly incredible!!! I love how you've rendered this.... what a tragic subject though.....
MD

Fleur
01-02-2006, 04:59 PM
And here is mine: From John William Waterhouse: "A study of Miss Muriel Foster." He used this model for most of his pictures as far as I can gather. It appears that she trained to be a nurse and eventually died aged 97 in 1967 in St. leonard on Sea in Hastings UK.
I love JW Waterhouse's work and he is one of my most favourite artists. I particularly like The Mermaid.
My take is in graphite with a bit of graphitint, but mainly graphite.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2006/7988-DSC04560.JPG
PS I apologise for the several replies.... it's easier to look and comment that way, though I guess there is a more efficient way which I have yet to work out!!!:confused:
MD
And another PS: done on Strathmore 17.5cm x 14cm

rosebard
01-02-2006, 05:08 PM
PS I apologise for the several replies.... it's easier to look and comment that way, though I guess there is a more efficient way which I have yet to work out!!!:confused:
MD
And another PS: done on Strathmore 17.5cm x 14cm

No need to apologise Fleur. I think everybody can follow the thread quite easily, we surely seem to be having fun. I like Waterhouse quite a bit myself. There is a painting I wanted to do from him to hang in my bedroom. I love it and cant think of doing it to give it way, so much I like it.

I see almost everyone have already done your first Art Card and that is so nice. I am working on mine right now. I shall be back shortly to post it. :) :wave:

Suggestion Fleur is that you can put the name of the member you talking to in bold. I do that most of the time on my posts.

See you later!! :wave:

bjs0704
01-02-2006, 05:45 PM
By the way, we are going to be starting a "gallery thread" for displaying everyone's art cards. We are still assembling it but, we will have it stickied in the classical forum soon.

I think that it is going to be really great to see all of them together!

Best wishes and good luck with your cards!

Barb Solomon:cat:

rosebard
01-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Hi again!! I have being looking into Constable landscapes and hope to be painting one soon. This Journey inspired me to look further into others landscapers and I plan to do a journey on European and American landcapers of the 17th,18th and 19th century. There are so many that it is hard to choose and pick one. But one a week will give me an opportunity to study and admire 52 artists and I think that will be a great way to learn about landscapes. I want to keep a written record of each one and at the end I will put all my cards together in a file.

My first Classical Art Card.
It is after John Constable, Weymonth Bay, 1816.
4 1/2'' X 6'' card size, watercolor paper
Watercolor and w/c pencils

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2006/54461-photos_171.jpg

Laraine
01-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Fleur, thank you. It makes me feel good that you like the drawing. Tragedy is an important part of life. The image has been variously interpreted, and some read it as an allegory of creativity itself and the artist's torments.

You've done a beautiful drawing of this woman. The portrait reminds me of Virginia Wolfe.

Chloe_1
01-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Nice with soft features Fleur:-)

Chloe_1
01-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Chloe, another artist I've never heard of: Antonio Canova. I like what you have done... very dramatic. I can see this is going to be a huge learning curve for me... getting to know artists I'd never met before....
Dex, I like what you have done so far, but who is it???
MD

Thanks Fleur~ In every little love relationship, there's always a little drama. I wanted to evoke some drama to portray more than just the surface beauty of the original Lover painting. I wanted to add a little tension, and with some of my pen stroke it seemed like I conveyed that message.

This is a great forum. I am learning so much from these great Masters, in inspiring me to extract something further within these paintings, and developing my own creativity and meaning with it.

tyree
01-02-2006, 09:39 PM
CAREY,,Lovely soft sketch...,MIDGE,, great job on that basket, very real..FISH,, lautrec, one of my very favorites, terrific ink work...LARAINE,, Beautiful rendition of Titian..DEX,, as always very very nice, i always recognize your work, great choice!! CHLOE, wonderful work on the tonal values...FLEUR,, Simple and elegant, well done!!! ROSE,, Stunning colour on the sky....tyree

tyree
01-02-2006, 09:44 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2006/65063-week1.jpg graphite on stonehenge, ATC size, Jan Vermeer, Woman Holding a Balance, 1664, Vermeer had a mastery of lights and darks, a lot is not in this due to size, but the light represent religious revelation....tyree

mauricar
01-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Tyree, very nice. What does ATC size mean?

tyree
01-02-2006, 10:10 PM
MIDGE,, playing card size, 2.5x3.5 .....tyree:cat:

Fish<><
01-02-2006, 11:21 PM
WOW!! Fantastic work all! :clap: :clap:

I got some color laid down on mine but the batteries in my camera died. :mad: I'm going to try to pick some up tomorrow on my way home so I can get it posted.

I also managed to find a book at the library with a ton of info on El Greco, one of my personal favorites, so you can be expecting to see something else from him next week. :D

mauricar
01-03-2006, 12:49 AM
Tyree - You drew it that small? Do you have a magnifying glass or are your eyes that good? Wow! I am impressed that all of you can do such fine work in such a small area.

Chloe_1
01-03-2006, 01:12 AM
Tyree - You drew it that small? Do you have a magnifying glass or are your eyes that good? Wow! I am impressed that all of you can do such fine work in such a small area.

Mauricar ACEO means "ART CARD EDITION and ORIGINAL". The size is 2.5"x3.5". They are very popular and some artists use this miniature paintings as trade card. They are very popular in ebay. You can do them in any media.
I am actually trying it out for the first time in this forum and project. I was able to make 9 cards out of a 11.7 "x 7.5 hot press watercolor paper (140lbs).:wave:

Chloe_1
01-03-2006, 01:14 AM
Very good work Tyree.. :-))

Chloe_1
01-03-2006, 01:17 AM
Very nice contrast Rose in your landscape ;-)

Fleur
01-03-2006, 04:52 AM
Bard, I love Constable's work, but this must be one of his less well-known ones, I'm not familiar with it. I know Weymouth Bay though, and things have changed alot!!! Wouldn't he turn over in his grave were he to see what has happened. Beautiful treatment with the WC pencils. And a great idea to do landscapes studies.

Tyree, I love the drama of your Vermeer. ATC size though??? heck! Brave person you are! I toyed with the idea (I am addicted to ATC:D ) and then decided I would go slightly bigger, though now that you have done one that size I might of course have a go too...:evil: Nothing like a project to motivate you!!!

I am really enjoying this. Having done my first I'm itching to get on with my second and having to force myself to wait..:evil:

BTW, thanks for the kind comments everybody on Miss Muriel Foster!!!

Looking forward to seeing the gallery up!
Take care
MD

rosebard
01-03-2006, 06:56 AM
Hi guys! Thanks Chloe, Tyree and Fleur. LOLOL Fleur. I suppose he would. This is the first time I do anything with watercolor. I used w/c pencils like cps when I wanna play with color drawing but never used water with it. So taking such a small size to play with the landcapes I thought try a new media and see how it works. Usually oil painting takes quite a lot from me, so this is a faster way to study the landscapes and try the new media. Awesome, I just love it.

I wanna thank everybody that took this journey up to here. It is just the first week. To enjoy better all the Art Cards, come and check out our 2006 ART Card Gallery on this thread. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316407

Chloe what a lovely way to interpret your subject. I am learning too with those interpretations and comments here a lot too. It is so inspiring. Tyree small indeed, but great job done. Lights and darks in Vermeer paintings are the most difficult point to paint. Your darks and lights are really good on the drawing.

:) :) :)

dex
01-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Fleur.....very nice drawing well done.

Rose.......simplistic,colourfull with depth,like it.

rosebard
01-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Thanks Dex! Watercolor is like a new language to me.

Fleur[/B]]I am really enjoying this. Having done my first I'm itching to get on with my second and having to force myself to wait..

I can really understand this Fleur. While cleaning my studio, I found few watercolor paper samples. I cant wait to try them next week. I have Winsor and Newton watercolor paper but havent had the corage to use it yet, a bit expensive paper I gave the luxure of buyiing when in sale months ago. I may try that paper when I feel I got the hang of it, but that can take ages as I am so crazy about oils..:)

CAnt wait to see everyone's Art card next week and more this week. :) :) :)

S.McPherson
01-03-2006, 11:03 AM
This looks like a great project and I would like to try my hand at it but, I'm confused:eek: as to how you post your image. I don't see "new thread" at bottom of page, just post reply. Could someone fill me in? Thanks. Sandy

rosebard
01-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Hi Sandy Welcome!

This is a journey where each week a new thread will be open, it will be every sunday. Now if someone cant make at one week is not a problem, just do the week you can and post it that week.
When you Post Reply, you either use the attachment option or insert image, the size for it is 500 X 600 pixels maximum. Posting it on the week thread will give all the members of WC participating a chance to see and comment on your work, aswell as we can exchange notes and ideias. Then your pic will be resized and transfered to a thread that will be sticked as a gallery, so anyone visiting Classical Art Forum can check it out too.
The weekly thread will be the way we communicate and post our Art. I hope this help. If you have more questions please ask. Nice to have you onboard. :)

dex
01-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Rembrandt (self portrait) 1658, UPDATE!,done on semi shiny card,6"x8"(15x21cm),using "Progresso" 8911/2B graphite pencil.(1hr20min update!)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2006/69694-Rembrandt_update_jan_3_06.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

dex
01-03-2006, 03:11 PM
sorry,another duplicate(will have to change this gas powered pc!),much too slow!:))

rosebard
01-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Dex, I love your pencil strokes. And the values are cool too. Are you going to continue your journey with Rembrandt next week? He has some amazing paintings. :)

AriadneArts
01-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Just lovely, Fleur.

Everybody, I wonder if we could post the original image along with our own rendition/study of it?

I couldn't wait last night so I did a graphite rendering of Hendrick Terbrugghen's "The Flute Player" on a post-it!!! I went to the art store to get some proper supports today, LOL!

Here's my offering from Terbrugghen's "The Flute Player" (1621):

My study in graphite (2.5" x 3.5"), somewhat cropped to accomodate the small size.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2006/6306-The_Flute_Player-eod_study_rz.jpg

Original--oil on canvas (1621)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2006/6306-Terbrugghen-The_Flute_Player_rz.JPG

tyree
01-03-2006, 06:32 PM
DEX, very very nice update, looking good!!!...EILEEN,, WOW, Great work, beautiful tonals....ROSE,, i think its going to be a wonderful thread! tyree:wave:

rosebard
01-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Eilleen what a cool reference. You did a great job! :) Awesome artist, his colors are so cool. :)

AriadneArts
01-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Well, I just looked this thread over from post #1 and realize I've missed big bits of it! I've been preoccupied with one of the forums I moderate, but all is well now, TG.

So:

Keith: Love the Lautrec. It's wonderful! But I do look forward to something classical from you next week--no excuses. ;)

Jenn: I look forward to seeing your study of Peel's "Venetian Bather."

Dex: Your Rembrandt portrait is simply awesome!

Rose: Wonderful Constable landscape. I envy your treatment of clouds. For some reason, they are sooooo hard for me.....

Susan: Super job on the Vermeer! You really nailed the lights/darks, especially working so small....

Chloe: Very nice work on "The Lovers." I, too, have got to go look at Canova's work, now. Thanks for the intro.
There! If I've missed anyone, please just knock me on the head......:o

AriadneArts
01-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the very nice comments, Susan and Rose. This is so fun! I hope I can find the time to actually paint one, although I don't think I can do it properly in egg tempera in just one week, but ya never know......

Watercolour, gouache or casein are alway options, though.

Nehalenia
01-03-2006, 07:14 PM
Hello everybody!

Let me say first that I'm very glad that this thread started. I love classical painting, but because of allergies can't work much with traditional media. Digital art is my ticket to expressing myself!

This year, I want to concentrate on (digital) portrait painting and IMO there's no better way than to learn from the great masters of art.

This is the cover piece for my portrait art cards.
Copied from: John Singer Sargent
Painting: crop of "Mme X" (1883)
Style: American Impressionism

Hope you like it. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2006/67591-sargentartcard2.jpg

dex
01-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Rose......glad you love my scribble;s:),thanks for your comment's,will have to check out the site,see what will inspire me:)

Eileen.....nice rendition,but dont these ref,in deep shadow bother you?,as they do me,cant see detail off them,strain on the eye's:(,thanks for your comment's(nearly scrapped it,and started gain),but glad i didn't.:)

Tyree.....thanks Susan,and great piece "woman holding balance",nice work!

Nehalenia.........fantastic work you did there,let's see more!

AriadneArts
01-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Eileen.....nice rendition,but dont these ref,in deep shadow bother you?,as they do me,cant see detail off them,strain on the eye's:(,thanks for your comment's(nearly scrapped it,and started gain),but glad i didn't.:)

Thanks, Dex. And you're quite right. The deep shadow is difficult and my eyes aren't getting any younger, either. :D But, I like the painting and I wanted to do some work on hands. Looked like a good opportunity, so I went for it at about midnight last night while "watching" Jay Leno. Probably would be better to do the work in daylight for next week. :wink2:

dex
01-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks, Dex. And you're quite right. The deep shadow is difficult and my eyes aren't getting any younger, either. :D But, I like the painting and I wanted to do some work on hands. Looked like a good opportunity, so I went for it at about midnight last night while "watching" Jay Leno. Probably would be better to do the work in daylight for next week. :wink2:
hey Eileen,
burning the candle at both end's I see:),no good for you,you know!!:)

Nehalenia
01-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Eileen: I feel a kind of pride whenever someone copies a lesser known Dutch master. Good choice to pick Hendrik Verbrugghen, an underrated master IMO. Very good value study!

Dex: I recognize your Rembrandt copy! My compliments, Rembrandt is not easy to study because of his maverick and loose style, but more than worth the effort. I think there's a lot to learn from him and hope you'll continue your studies.

Tyree: wow! yet another Dutch painter. I particularly like this painting of Vermeer because I had to study it during a course about culture/art in the 17th century Netherlands. Values are so important to get a Vermeer down right. Good work!

P.S. I'm not biased toward Dutch School painters, it's just that I grew up with them. Therefore I'm inclined to look to non-Dutch/Flemish painters (see my Sargent copy), but feel very comfortable with Dutch masters.
(Note: Dutch and Flemish are the same thing when talking about the 17th century, same country then, now split into Netherlands/Belgium).

Margie

Nickel
01-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Carey, hi, I was reading through a book today, and saw Leonardoís Sketch for Leda. I recognized it right away because of your sketch likeness. Your Leda has a very powerful look.

Midge, hi, I think you did a really wonderful job with the perspective on the basket. The apples look good enough to eat! Browsing WC today, I saw another basket you drew. It is nice to see an artist give the humble basket the respect it deserves. I look forward to seeing all the new baskets you draw this year. It is a delightful to meet you.

Keith, hi, it is nice to see your journal cover. I have a fondest for most all artists and do really enjoy Toulouse-Lautreís work. El Greco is still my favorite of the two works I have seen by you. Your work ďswimsĒ my friend! I canít wait to see more of your work!

Jenn, hi, how is your Venetian Bather working out? I canít wait to see her! Did you get your new colors?

Laraine, Hi, I love your drawing by Titian. You capture the image in line. It is much easier to interpret the images in your drawing than the painting. You are so lucky to have had the opportunity to see this painting in person. I would have truly loved to see the painting myself. I have seen a few images of people flayed alive. Ouch is all I am saying.

Dex, hi, all I can say is I love both the studies of Rembrandt! They both look free and easy, composed with artistic vigor!

Chloe 1, hi, your Loverís sketch indeed has a tension present. And I agree with you in studying the classical masters, their art has a way of inspiring and touching our present day creativity. I hope you are having a good time.

Donna, hi, I sure hope your going to join in the journey! You are sure to bring lots of smiles and interesting views of classical art. It is ok if you canít make each week or if you want you can catch up on weeks if you want to do 52! I am saving you a seat!

Fleur, hi, welcome, there are lots of Waterhouse fans in this forum! Your study of Miss Muriel Foster is very good; you capture the inner strength of the modelís being. Have you already sketched the Mermaid? Iíd love to see her if you have.

Thanks Barb for announcing the Classical Art Gallery thread! It is really nice! Lovely, lovely, classical art work!

Rose hi, your Constable landscape study is very good. I like your sky the most! It is pretty hard watercolors after oils but you are doing good girl! It is nice to see how hard you work at your journey. You really inspire me.

Tyree, hi, welcome, you have found a big Vermeer fan club here in Classicals. You really did an excellent job in your rendition of Woman Holding a Balance. You can see how you have the light glowing as a reflection of purity. Very nicely done.

Sandy K, hi, welcome, I have been lost at how to do some of the things here too! Let us know if you still need some help to get your image posted. Itís ok, we will be glad to help.

Eileen, hi, it is very nice to meet you! Hope your having a lovely time so far on this journey. Your Flute Player is great. I like how you have rendered the drapery folds of his shirt and I think you did a really great job pulling his hands out of those long sleeves. Looking forward to your next work.

Nehalenia, hi, welcome, I am going to enjoy seeing your work. I donít know much about digital art, but your journal cover is lovely, one of my favorite paintings by Sargent. I totally understand the allergies and think it is great that you can continue to study and learn about art. It will be great to see how you express yourself and describe this journey in classical art with digital technology. Bravo for you, and again welcome. What size are you making your cards?

I have to get to work or you all may kick me out of the car, but wait till we get to a gas station. Nickel is always hungry! :wave:

:D Nickel

Carey Griffel
01-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Wow! This idea has really exploded! ...that's nice to see! ;)

Sorry I haven't commented on everyone's, but I really appreciate seeing them all and I think you're all doing great. Thanks for all the kind comments on mine!

~!Carey

rosebard
01-03-2006, 08:49 PM
It is past my bedtime, but couldnt go before checking my favorite threads. Talking about favorite thread, I am so sad that no one came to play with me. :( Hey now that you all here in Classical Art Forum and enjoying this lovely trip and are looking out there on some old masters work, why dont you come and check out if you reconize this painting! :) Another hint before anyone check it out... Nehalania have something in commom with the artist. :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316257

Thanks,Nickel. I do hope you get something on this week. But dont worry this is suppose to be fun and it really is. Cant wait to get to work on my next landscaper. Still need to write a note about Constable this week. :) Something to hold me back a bit. :)

Eilleen thanks. Funny enough, clouds are easier for me than the landscape itself. :( I plan to get lots of clouds study from life. There are beautifull clouds around me.

Nehalania that is a cool cover. Sargent is awesome artist. :) The good thing about digital is that you can emulate traditional media right?

Good night!!!

Nickel
01-03-2006, 09:15 PM
There are beautifull clouds around me.

I already knew you are an angel :D :D :D

I am having so much fun, still chasing my tail, I think I shut it in the car door:eek: But I will be up to speed tomorrow and should be posting my card by Saturday, lol. I am working on an idea. :D

Hey Carey!:wave:

dex
01-04-2006, 07:26 AM
Nehalenia........geee whizzzz,you recognised it as Rembrandt!!(that is a compliment!),must look a little like it then :) and thanks for moral boost:)

Nickel........Thank's,glad you liked them!,(nearly scrapped 1st )glad I didn't now!(saved me a bit of work :)

AriadneArts
01-04-2006, 08:10 AM
hey Eileen,
burning the candle at both end's I see:),no good for you,you know!!:)

LOL, Dex! I'm just recently retired and I guess I'm having some confusion about whether I now deserve to burn the candle at both ends, since all my time is my own now, or whether I should take it easy since I'm "older" now. I'll probably end up doing a little of both.

Keith, I just looked at the gallery for this project and saw your marvelous El Greco. Just stunning! How did I miss the original posting?

Margie, thanks for your kind remarks. Your Sargeant is beautifully rendered. Are you using a Wacom?

Nickel, thank you, for your nice comments. I'm looking forward to seeing your piece on Saturday.

Rose, Nickel and Barb: The project gallery looks awesome and what a wonderful idea, too. Kudos to all of you for this wonderful project.

AriadneArts
01-04-2006, 08:17 AM
Eileen: I feel a kind of pride whenever someone copies a lesser known Dutch master. Good choice to pick Hendrik Verbrugghen, an underrated master IMO. Very good value study!

Margie

Thanks, Margie. BTW, my art book has his name as Hendrick Terbrugghen. I'm guessing they're not typos as they repeat the name often. Verbrugghen makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the correction. I love his painting.

rosebard
01-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Thanks Eilleen for the kind words about the Gallery thread. I cant wait to get into the end of the year and see all the great stuff over there. :)

I love flemish painters!! I need to look into that artist a bit more. I am delighted at the amount of artists from the past I am meeting. :)

Nehalenia
01-04-2006, 12:05 PM
Eileen: Thanks! Yes, I use a Wacom (Graphire3 / 6 x 8).

It seems that both your book and I have misspelled his name. According to the Rijksmuseum it is Hendrick ter Brugghen, which makes more sense to me. The name Terbrugghen is not very common and Verbrugghen is, hence my mistake perhaps.

http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/aria/aria_artists/00017224?lang=en

Nickel: Thanks for the kind comments and the idea! It's really fun to try and emulate classical tehniques with digital media. For this copy, I imitated glazing technique just to see if and how it works in digital painting. And it does work! Of course you don't get the depth of an oilpainting, but you can see the underpainting shining through.

The cards have only a pixelsize at the moment and are quite large (1700 x 2100). How big that is when printed depends on the resolution I choose (dots per inch) At a printing resolution of 72 dpi, it would come out 24 by 30 inches, but not very good quality. At 300 dpi (the standard for high quality prints), it is about 6 by 8 inches.

Here's a little detail at full size, showing the ocre underpainting shining through and the texture of the "canvas".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2006/67591-sargentdetail.jpg

Rose: Thanks! Yes, it is possible to emulate traditional media digitally and sometimes it is hard to tell the difference it seems: some of my digital chalk and graphite drawings have been taken for the real stuff more than once. It's real fun to explore the possebilities and those are endless.

Margie

Nickel
01-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Well I just checked one of my books Eileen, not that books or museums are always right for sure they do make errors.

Hendrick ter Brugghen (1588?-1629) The Flute Player. 1621 Kassel, Gemšldegalerie, Canvas, 70x55cm.

I'll ask Barb to change this in the Gallery on the next update if that is ok Eileen. :wave:

I am enjoying learning too!

I Like the close-up of the digital canvas Margie. Most of what you do is over-my-head as far as the tech side of art, but I am going to enjoy learning from you on this journey.

Laraine
01-04-2006, 12:54 PM
I have seen a few images of people flayed alive. Ouch is all I am saying

Nickel, you have? photographs? thanks for the compliments... always appreciate encouragement. I'm working on a Mantegna of Christ nailed to the cross -- that couldn't have been too comfortable either.

Unfortunately I probably won't pursue the art card project because the format size is too small for me. best wishes for 52 great weeks. I'll check back in to see how everyone else is coming along. Great results so far. Good luck everyone.

Nickel
01-04-2006, 01:20 PM
I have seen a few images of people flayed alive. Ouch is all I am saying

Nickel, you have? photographs? thanks for the compliments... always appreciate encouragement. I'm working on a Mantegna of Christ nailed to the cross -- that couldn't have been too comfortable either.

Unfortunately I probably won't pursue the art card project because the format size is too small for me. best wishes for 52 great weeks. I'll check back in to see how everyone else is coming along. Great results so far. Good luck everyone.

Hey Laraine, No rules, just classical art before the Impression period, any size is welcomed. The theory is based on 52 weeks and thus the card came to mind. I am not doing the little size. Too small for me. The goal is to work on an image every week for 52 weeks. Some of the work will take longer to complete than one week some work may take 30 minutes. Just depends what material you are working and how you want to present it. Fish aka Keith and several others are doing theirs journal style. We always have the Classical Studio Thread too if you want to post your art, I sure would not want to miss Mantegana of Christ by Laraine. You can link us to your work there also. Or you can start your own thread here in the classical forum. You are most welcome here. :) Size is not a problem. You pick your size. Nickel

Nickel
01-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Oh, all the images I have seen of flayed humans are paintings, for sure I would pass out dead on the floor if I saw a photograph. Ouch again :D :wave:

dex
01-04-2006, 02:20 PM
LOL, Dex! I'm just recently retired and I guess I'm having some confusion about whether I now deserve to burn the candle at both ends, since all my time is my own now, or whether I should take it easy since I'm "older" now. I'll probably end up doing a little of both.

congrats on your retirement Eileen!(join the club!:) ).........in that case.....carry on burning!:),I know I do!!,as I see it retirement is the time for you to do whatever you WANT to do!,and I intend to do just that!!,.....play....play......playyyyyyyyyyyyy!!:).Have a long and HAPPY one!.
regards
dex(playboy!):evil::clap::D

Nehalenia
01-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Dex: This one, right?

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/R/rembrandt/selfportrait_frick.jpg.html

!Carey: Wow 2 by 3.5 inches! That's quite a feat to draw so well on such a small size. Do you have any idea what the size of the original is? I can't seem to find any information on that, except that Da Vinci's drawings are usually something like A5 size. (6 x 8 inches)

Mauricar:
I didn't know the painter Levi Wells Prentice, nice to learn about him, thanks! I love the bright colors of your cp drawing.
If you're looking for more baskets, painters of the Dutch school were hooked on them too. I must have seen hundreds of them.
There are quite a lot to be found, but for the moment I can't think of specific paintings. I visit the Rijksmuseum website daily and will post a direct link when I find a good painting with a basket in it, if you like.

http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/index.jsp

Fleur:
Oohh..very nice study! I'm a great fan of Waterhouse and have done several copies of his work. Thanks for the info about the model. I know her by sight, but know very little about her. The art work itself is so interesting that I often don't take the time to read up on the background, which is really a shame as I found knowing a little about the artists' life enhances my appreciation for the work. My favorite is also A Mermaid and I plan to do a full copy (same size) of it sometime in water soluble oil. I'm allergic to solvents, so no regular oils for me :( . Right now I'm doing Destiny, but it's not very far yet, still working on the drawing.

More comments to follow some time later. This is really a great thread and I enjoy seeing everybody's interpretation of master paintings immensely!

Margie

rosebard
01-04-2006, 03:07 PM
I'm working on a Mantegna of Christ nailed to the cross -- that couldn't have been too comfortable either.

:eek: :eek: :eek: After seeing your 1st week work, I am going to be so :( :( :( if I dont see anything else from you. Whatever you choose to do, please do post at Classical Art Forum so we can enjoy looking please. :)

AriadneArts
01-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Hendrick ter Brugghen (1588?-1629) The Flute Player. 1621 Kassel, Gemšldegalerie, Canvas, 70x55cm.

I'll ask Barb to change this in the Gallery on the next update if that is ok Eileen. :wave:

Thanks, Nickel. By all means, yes, change it in the Gallery. I'd like his name to be correct.

Thanks for the name correction and for the link, Margie. Isn't his Heraclitus wonderful?

rosebard
01-04-2006, 03:16 PM
Fleur:
Oohh..very nice study! I'm a great fan of Waterhouse and have done several copies of his work. Thanks for the info about the model. I know her by sight, but know very little about her. The art work itself is so interesting that I often don't take the time to read up on the background, which is really a shame as I found knowing a little about the artists' life enhances my appreciation for the work. My favorite is also A Mermaid and I plan to do a full copy (same size) of it sometime in water soluble oil. I'm allergic to solvents, so no regular oils for me :( . Right now I'm doing Destiny, but it's not very far yet, still working on the drawing.

I would love to see a Wip of Destiny Margie. I plan to paint MY sweet Rose this year. There is something on the pose on her smelling that rose makes me follow in love with the all painting.

This is really a great thread and I enjoy seeing everybody's interpretation of master paintings immensely!

Well dito. Me too. :D :wave:

Nehalenia
01-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks Eilleen for the kind words about the Gallery thread. I cant wait to get into the end of the year and see all the great stuff over there. :)

I love flemish painters!! I need to look into that artist a bit more. I am delighted at the amount of artists from the past I am meeting. :)
I hope you don't think I'm pedantic and I understand your confusion more than I can possibly express in words, but Hendrick ter Brugghen was not a Flemish painter. He was born in Deventer (my dad was too), which is a city in the east of what is now the Netherlands, in the province of Overijssel. Flemish refers to the province Flanders( or in Dutch: Vlaanderen) , now part of Belgium (and they speak Dutch there).

In the 17th century, The Netherlands was a Republic, not a Kingdom as it is now. Several of the high nobles - including William of Orange, founder of the present Royal House of Orange-Nassau - declared independance from the King of Spain, who was overlord of the Netherlands at that time and was much hated because of his relentless persecution of heretics.

The Republic of the Netherlands was therefore all lands belonging to these high nobles. William of Orange was "stadhouder" (cityholder) of North and South Holland, Zeeland and Flanders. A stretch of land on the coast of the North Sea and extremely prosperous because of it's easy accesible harbours of Antwerp and Amsterdam.

It is one of the most confusing and most interesting periods in Dutch history. I've studied it for more than 30 years and still don't quite understand what happened. What is so amazing is that most of art that is now so famous was produced right in the middle of a war! (The 80 years war, aka The Dutch Revolt 1566-1648).

http://www.zum.de/whkmla/region/lowcountries/dutchrevolt.html

http://www.zum.de/whkmla/military/16cen/dutchrevolt.html

I'd love to share my progress on the Waterhouse, but at the moment I don't have a camera, digital or otherwise..But I'll sure post something as soon as I get one.

(http://www.zum.de/whkmla/military/16cen/dutchrevolt.html)

Margie

Nickel
01-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Eileen, As a good carpenter will say, measure twice and cut once, I went looking around in other books. Hendrik Frans Verbruggen, was a sculptor from Antwerp; he created Ste Gudule pulpit in Brussels and the confessionals of Grimberghen abbey. Looking for Brugghen in another book he is indexed as TerBrugghen. If it is ok, I will keep Terbrugghen and add ter Brugghen. I am not looking up Smith.:D

Margie, it is nice to have you around, you have some interesting history to tell and I enjoy reading all you have to share. Hope you soon get a way to share your Waterhouse with us soon.:D

Today I sharpen my pencils and took a long nap after such hard work. And looked around through a few books. Also I have had three good meals and now I am hungry again. :D Gosh, my life is so hard:wave: I am thinking about retiring :p :D :D :D

Fish<><
01-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Sorry been away for a while. Trying to catch back up on this thread. I do work 8 hours a day so if everyone could wait till about 6pm Eastern time I'd appreciate it. LOL :)

Eileen - Thanks for the comments on both works. My Lautrec has some color added to it, but the 12x12 format doesn't fit on my scanner and my digi camera is dead. :( I plan on doing another study of St. Dominic on week 2 of our journey.

Laraine
01-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks very much for your encouragement, Rose. This project appeals to me. As long as no one minds them being much larger than the art card premise, I've got a few more ready to go. I'll post them as threads become available.

Margie, thank you for the explanation of the word Flemish. It's fascinating.

AriadneArts
01-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Eileen, As a good carpenter will say, measure twice and cut once, I went looking around in other books. Hendrik Frans Verbruggen, was a sculptor from Antwerp; he created Ste Gudule pulpit in Brussels and the confessionals of Grimberghen abbey. Looking for Brugghen in another book he is indexed as TerBrugghen. If it is ok, I will keep Terbrugghen and add ter Brugghen. I am not looking up Smith.:D

Today I sharpen my pencils and took a long nap after such hard work. And looked around through a few books. Also I have had three good meals and now I am hungry again. :D Gosh, my life is so hard:wave: I am thinking about retiring :p :D :D :D

Nickel, you crack me up. :D Whatever you decide is fine with me. Please don't look up Smith (gosh, I wonder what "Smith" is in Dutch? I know it's Gowan in Irish. :evil: ;) )

Keith, I look forward to your study of St. Dominic next week.

I'm so glad I didn't miss this project--I'm having a great time getting to know you all and seeing your work, and getting back to drawing has been so good for me. Thanks y'all.

S.McPherson
01-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Hi All, Posting late as I had trouble getting my image. I thought I would try doing a time line of the Artist's and see how many I can do.
This is a watercolor of Cimabue (Cenni de Peppi) (c.1240-1302) He is the painter of the Madonna. All of his renditions of angels look the same, both male and female as no one could decide if angels were male or female.
WC on Arches 300# paper. 4x5. Thanks for looking and all comments welcomed. As you can see I have included my reference picture. Sandy:wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2006/65215-100_0156.JPG

rosebard
01-05-2006, 07:43 AM
This is a watercolor of Cimabue (Cenni de Peppi) (c.1240-1302) He is the painter of the Madonna.

Great start on your journey Sandy. :) This is another new artist.

Thanks very much for your encouragement, Rose. This project appeals to me. As long as no one minds them being much larger than the art card premise, I've got a few more ready to go. I'll post them as threads become available.

Cool! No problem with the size like Nickel already said. It will be a pleasure for you to stay! :)

Sorry been away for a while. Trying to catch back up on this thread. I do work 8 hours a day so if everyone could wait till about 6pm Eastern time I'd appreciate it. LOL

LOLOL.

I hope you don't think I'm pedantic and I understand your confusion more than I can possibly express in words,

Thanks so much to help us understand better. That part of art is my favorite and often I do misunderstand who is flemish or not. I read that links later. For example who was born in Antwerp was flemish too or dutch painter?

We almost getting at the end of this week. Cant wait for Sunday to arrive and a new bunch of work starting to show up. :)

AriadneArts
01-05-2006, 08:09 AM
Good job, Sandy. You really captured his expression. I hope to paint one at some point in this project. Right now, I'm really happy to just be back at drawing.

Dex, LOL. Since you're an expert at retirement, I'll ask your advice when I get confused. Play, play, play sounds like a great prescription to me! :clap: :D

Laraine, I'm so glad you're going to continue with the project. They're all about the same size on our monitors, after all. :D

Margie: Pedantic? Never! I really appreciate the historic bits you're giving us about The Netherlands and it's classical artists. Thank you!

Laraine
01-05-2006, 08:32 AM
Marge, it's true... I thought the same thing, that the gallery reduces everything to the same size anyway. Everyone's work is interesting to look at and it's fun to see the variety of artists people choose to study.

tyree
01-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Am enjoying the history of these painters!!!! NEHALENIA,,, Beautiful piece...SANDY, Youve captured the brooding look very very nicely....tyree:cat:

mauricar
01-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Quick question: Can we use just one piece of a work, or must we do the entire thing? I have found a piece for next week, but most of it is in shadow and I would like to do just the piece that is in front. Is that all right? Or must we do the entire piece? You know, like a detail.....?

dex
01-05-2006, 11:50 AM
S.McPherson.......Nice rendition sandy,but did you draw/paint him at a different angle purposely,or was that the way you saw him?,in either case,well done!

Eileen.......Anytime :))

dex

Nickel
01-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi Sandy, you made it:clap: How cool and interesting to know about the angels he or she :D I still don't know for sure :D

Midge crops are great to work from classicals. Can't wait to see what your working on!:)

Hey Keith, I'll look for you after 6 :wave: :D

Hi Rose, Laraine, Eileen, Dex :wave:

These don't have to be exact copies, put your spin into them makes them better and more interesting, has anybody found the popcorn yet? :D

Nehalenia
01-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Thanks so much to help us understand better. That part of art is my favorite and often I do misunderstand who is flemish or not. I read that links later. For example who was born in Antwerp was flemish too or dutch painter?
This is where it gets complicated.
More important to determine if a painter was "Flemish" or "Dutch" was which St. Lucas Guild or "school" he belonged to. A painter who did his masterpiece for the Antwerp St. Lucas Guild was Flemish.
But if the masterpiece was done for a St. Lucas Guild in Holland or Utrecht, then he was Dutch.
Some Dutch painters were born in Antwerp, but their families fled to Holland to avoid the Spanish Inquisition.
For example: Frans Hals was probably born in Antwerp, but worked in Haarlem and is considered a Dutch painter.

Another example: (bit of very interessing gossip about the Rubens family). Jan Rubens, Pieter Paul's father, was a wealthy laywer with an even wealthier wife. They lived in Antwerp and fled to Germany (Saxony) when the persecutions began. The Rubens family was Protestant and wealthy or not, that meant they could be executed by the Spanish Inquisition.

Now for the gossip: In Germany, Jan Rubens had an affair with Anna of Saxony, the second wife of William of Orange. Williams" brother found out about it and had them both arrested for adultery.
In those days the standard punishment for adultery was death, but William of Orange hated violence and death and let them both off the hook. That was in 1571 and Pieter Paul Rubens was born in Germany (Siegen) in 1577. Had William of Orange not been so kindhearted, Pieter Paul Rubens would never have been born.

Jan Rubens returned to Antwerp with his family and Pieter Paul became a painter. But suppose Jan Rubens had decided to go to Amsterdam and Pieter Paul would become a painter there. Then he would have been a Dutch painter!

Hope I explained it clearly. It's a very fascinating and complex time in Dutch/Flemish (Belgian) history.
Below a link to a map of the area in those times. As you can see on the other links, it shifted from year to year and Antwerp is not in Flanders but in Brabant (it is now in Flanders).
The cities of the "Dutch" painters were in Holland (Amsterdam, Haarlem, also Leiden en Delft, not on the map) and Utrecht.

http://personal.redestb.es/naoero1968/155648lc.gif

Margie

tyree
01-05-2006, 04:21 PM
wow, thank you MARGIE, That was a great history note....tyree:wave:

rosebard
01-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Awesome explanation Margie. Thanks a lot. I love the 17th century painters, and I am enjoying to read more about them.

S.McPherson
01-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and yes, Dex, he is tilted slightly but, I don't think I taped my painting straight or I didn't hold the camera straight. Then again, could be he's just plain crooked and ulgy!:evil: I hope I have time to get another one done for this Sun. I'm taking a class with Marc H., started today..and this weekend I'm in a watercolor workshop for 2 days.
Next one I'd like to take something from one of Peppi's painting.
Sandy

Nickel
01-06-2006, 11:55 AM
LOL Sandy, it is called "artist interpretation or artistic license" :D

I love it never mind the camera. :D

I have to work on my submission today, I'd really hate to get thrown out of the party so soon;)

See who beats me to post their view of this journey today, your all so good, it is wonderful to see the expressions of your art, I have admiration for everyones talent here, just so very nice! Thanks for traveling along!

Nickel

PushingPixels
01-06-2006, 09:21 PM
Better late than never I say...
Boy I learned a lot this week. Keep the scope of your project pretty small if you want to finish. I started a torso of Botticelli's Venus (The Birth of Venus
c. 1485) and made good progress till tuesday, then today I had to crop to a head shot and lessen the detail (alot). I may still go back to her but in good faith I will move on to week 2 in the project timeline. Here are the source and my rendition. I will attach screen shots to show progress for those who are interested. Used a wacom tablet and Photoshop 7.0 with chalk artist brush pannel and a transparent grid to keep proportion down (this helped alot).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2006/44004-myvenus2-copy.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2006/44004-venus2realist.jpg

mauricar
01-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Well Shaw! You took my work for next week. Now I need to start looking for another work. She is very pretty. I have never done anything on the computer before. IT is intersting how you all do that.

Chloe_1
01-06-2006, 10:25 PM
I've chosen this one also but already did the painting ..a week ago.
I've done it a little differently.. I'll keep it a surprise!

rosebard
01-07-2006, 07:15 AM
Hi all my dear art friends!

Pushingpixel, awesome work on Venus. :) I agree have learned quite a bit this week. Really having nice time.

Nickel must be working today on her Week 1 card! Tomorrow is a new week already. Gosh time flies!! :)

:) :) :)

AriadneArts
01-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Pushing, your Venus is stunning!

I began work on Week #2's study yesterday. Man, am I having trouble with one little section of it. Very frustrating. But I have to say, I've also learned quite a bit this week, already. It boggles my mind to think how much we will have learned by Week 52. Great project, Nickel! :clap:

PushingPixels
01-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Well Shaw! You took my work for next week. Now I need to start looking for another work. She is very pretty. I have never done anything on the computer before. IT is intersting how you all do that.
I saw shaw... do it anyway. Yours will have your own style and it would be a learning process to see all the different approaches. I tried a freehand sketch this week and I plan on doing a computer generated comparison IF I get the time. I am enjoying this immensely. The tidbits on history are extremely interesting. The one site that has been so helpful is one your members recommended (http://www.wga.hu/index1.html) what an awesome resource.

If been an illustrator for years but never got around to studing the classics by trying to reproduce them this is completing my education. (the fun way with lots of friends along)
barb

dex
01-07-2006, 04:23 PM
[quote=PushingPixels]Better late than never I say...
Boy I learned a lot this week. Keep the scope of your project pretty small if you want to finish. I started a torso of Botticelli's Venus (The Birth of Venus
c. 1485) and made good progress till tuesday, then today I had to crop to a head shot and lessen the detail (alot). I may still go back to her but in good faith I will move on to week 2 in the project timeline. Here are the source and my rendition. I will attach screen shots to show progress for those who are interested. Used a wacom tablet and Photoshop 7.0 with chalk artist brush pannel and a transparent grid to keep proportion down (this helped alot).
[quote]

Hi Barbara:wave:
Fantastic Venus,pity you hadn't time to do full ref pic,but look forward to seeing when you have time!. :wink2:

Rose......yes it's true,Tempus Fugit!:),I have't decided What ,to do next:(,hope I dont
miss the boat!:).

dex

Nickel
01-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Margie thanks for the link and story! It helps to understand this complex time in history. Hi Tyree! Hi PushingPixels, I enjoyed reading and seeing how you created your Botticelli. It is nice to know I am not the only one running hard, and taking on too much painting to do, lol! I think your Venus is lovely. Midge and Chloe_1, I canít wait to see your renditions of Venus! Hi Rose, Hi Eileen, Hi Dex!

I wasn't sure if I was going to make it! But yippie, I did, here is my Week #1. She is the cover from US News & World Report, Special Edition: Women of the Bible:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2006/39040-Image026.jpg

Mary Magdalene, Artist Unknown.
Mine is Oil on Canvas, Size 13 x 13Ē.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2006/39040-wc3.jpg

:D Nickel

Nickel
01-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Ok, saddle your little ponies! I am off to start week #2.

See you there! :wave:

Here is the link to week #2:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317781

artmom
01-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Whew! Just an hour left until midnight! :D

A mono-watercolor sketch using Daniel Smith Minnesota Pipestone (Catlinite) on really bad card stock (65 lb). I was going to try to make a pack of playing cards so used some card stock whose overall size was 6" x 4", with a brown and green "frame" around it. Painting surface was 4.6 x 3.5". As you can see by the frame, it buckled! Won't be using that paper; so if I decide to continue w/the playing card ideas, I'll re-do this one.

My goal: paint something this week. I only did one painting of any size last year! :eek: I hereby commit to Week 2!

Hopefully, it is not an insult to John Constable!

Link to original

http://www.artandarchitecture.org.uk/images/gallery/cd51a5fb.html

Open doorway looking out on to a garden Graphite on paper by John Constable

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2006/11722-Constable_Sketch.jpg

Lyn

mr sandbanx
01-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Very nice Lyn. Happy to see you painting again.

KathyJB
01-08-2006, 02:14 AM
Cool Beautiful painting lynn,
nice format with the doorway,
Congrats its great to paint again isnt it,
happy washie Chris,
night night time for for me,

Kat

andylavallee
01-08-2006, 03:51 AM
Hi Lyn well done indeed , not just a picture but one with all the right bits in the right places, welcome to the fraternity of wet brushes

Olga
01-08-2006, 06:17 AM
Woot Lyn! Good for you to be painting again! Nice work! I like your light touch... the door and the view are really striking... I have a minor nit about the stones in front which to me seem to attract a bit too much attention... but it's a nice card!

Looking forward to next week!

Olga

ameliajordan
01-08-2006, 07:43 AM
Not an insult to the old man by any means. I'm thrilled your painting - means there is hope for me too :)

JustjoGA
01-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Oh, Lyn!! This little painting gives me hope ...
that my own dry brushes will be wet soon as I get
my Art Corner re-established in the new place.

I love the softness, and the limited palette.
So glad you're painting again, and will look for
the next ones!

JustJo

Fish<><
01-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Nickel - Glad to see you made it in this week! :) Great painting!

Lyn - Great work there! I love your card! That wouldn't be an insult in the least!

Look forward to next week - well, I guess thats actually this week now. See you there!

dex
01-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Nickel.....had my doubt's too!(thought you'd missed the bus!!)nice job.clap

Lyn.....Nice pic of "view",well done,clap,pity about the buckle!(thought you'd had a drink,evil:) ).
j/ing!:)

dex

yahooserious
01-08-2006, 10:32 AM
WOO HOOOO, Lyn.... Way to go!!!:clap:

Emilie

artmom
01-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Chris, Kat, Andy, Olga, Amelia, Jo, Emilie, thanks for coming over!

Happy to meet you, Fish and Dex. Thanks for commenting.:D

Lyn

dex
01-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Dex: This one, right?

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/R/rembrandt/selfportrait_frick.jpg.html

Margie

:clap:,10/10 margie!:evil:,quite right!:wink2:,made my day!:D.
thanks
dex

dex
01-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi Lyn,
you're welcome,and Very Happy to meet you too.

Hi Emilie,
Nice to meet you too!

dex

Nehalenia
01-08-2006, 12:38 PM
PushingPixels:
Sweet! Beautiful soft colors for the skintones and I really like the texture if the background. Good to see another digital artist here.

Thanks for the screenshots of how you work. That's always very interesting to know. I work in a somewhat similar way, with the grid. It does help a lot.
You're right about keeping the scope small. The line drawing doesn't take me all that much time, but it takes me a LOT of time to build up the colors and render details.
Looking forward to see more!

Nickel:
Wow, you did that in oil in such a short time? My hat off for you. (Where's the bow down smilie? ok, isn't there, then this one :clap: ) I like how you painted her expression a lot. Interesting source painting too. All I can tell is that it's Italian Renaissance.

artmom:
Hello! First of all, I have a great admiration for watercolorists, I think it's quite a feat to handle that medium well. Besides that, I adore the soft transparant colors and this monochrome is really well done. Hope to see more!

Hi to everybody I haven't met yet! :wave: Glad to see you.

This has been a most interesting week and I agree with everybody that I learn a lot.
Hope to see you all in week two. I've already started my week 2 card. :D

Margie

AriadneArts
01-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Very nice job, Nickel. I like the expression on your Mary Magdalene. She looks sort of wistful, as though she has already mended her ways...... ;) , whereas in the original, she looks rather flirtatious. Thanks for posting the original also.

Lyn, a pretty faithful rendition of the original. Well done. And thanks for including a link to the original.

Onward I go to Week #2. Yaaaaay!

rosebard
01-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Nickel, Lynn, lovely work! See everyone on Week 2 thread!!

Nickel
01-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Hi Lyn, I really like your watercolor painting of the doorway on the garden. It is a nice start back into the world of painting one week at the time. I think all of your watercolor buddies found you.:cool: Wetcanvas can be a small world. They are a very supportive group and happy to see you painting. Maybe you can get them to come join our journey! ;)

Hi Keith, thanks, I just made it, man, I was huffing like I worked for Fedx. :D

Hi Dex, thanks, trust me I am not letting you guys eat all the food.:cat:

Hi Margie, I finally broke out the quick dry medium for oils, it was a quickie, start to finish yesterday. I had to push and was surprised at how fast the layers would tack dry. It was a first for me. Trust me I am amazed myself. It is nice you liked her.:D I havenít looked for her other than the front cover of the magazine. She looks 1500-1600ish. Iíll save looking for her roots on a rainy day.

Hi Eileen, thanks for saying she looks wistful. That is a new word for me! Mended I know, I have learned a few things in my life for sure like always have duct tape, lol. :D

See you in week 2 Rose :wave:

obxladybear
01-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Ran here as fast as I could....I know I am a day or so late for this, but just started my card yesterday...been pulling a lot of grandma duty lately...:)

Here is my week #1 card.....and I promise to start on my next card as soon as I get off duty tonight...:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2006/30099-week-1sm.JPG

I now see quite a bit off on my version :o , but I will not be in such a rush with the next one....

Btw, it sure has been interesting reading up on the artists.....:)

AriadneArts
01-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Very nicely done, Charlene. Doesn't show at all that you were rushing.

Nickel
01-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Hi Charlene we knew you'd be here today! Bravo on Week 1! Your Potens has the very essence of the original. Good job!!!!:wave: Take a deep breath, now off to week 2 with time to spare:D Grandma duty sounds fun :)

:wave: Nickel

S.McPherson
01-08-2006, 08:49 PM
This for start of week #2. I still can't find where you post a new thread. Last week I did Cenni de Peppi, creator of the Madonna. I have done a w/c of part of the Madonna. The painting is an alterpiece for a church in Florence. In the candelight of a dim church, all the gold would have sparkled and glinted in just the way the people of the Middle Ages thought that heaven glowed.
Mary points at Jesus to show his importance. Jesus holds up his hand in a gesture of blessing. Thanks for looking. :angel: Sandy W/C on 4x6. I will try and post my reference.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2006/65215-100_0163.JPG

S.McPherson
01-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Trying to post my reference. Sandy Sorry this is not clear but, you get the idea.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2006/65215-100_0173.JPG

tyree
01-08-2006, 09:31 PM
NICKEL, a very pensive piece, quite lovely...LYN,, What a wonderful scene, very nice indeed...CHARLENE, Great pencil work, i like the flow to it...SANDY, WOW, are you quick on the draw!! a great pic, well executed...!!! tyree:wave:

Fish<><
01-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Charlene - Nicely done. I really like both ref and yours! :clap:

I finally got batteries for my camera and wouldn't you know now I got a lousy pic of my cover piece. The real one looks much better. :rolleyes:

Anyway. Here it is. finshed off with a touch of oil pastels to get some color into it. Now voer I go to the wk 2 thread to show my WIP.

AriadneArts
01-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Sandy, nicely done and thanks for posting the original, as well. Nickel posted the link to the Week #2 thread in Post #119 on page 3 of this thread.

Here it is again:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317781

artmom
01-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Margie, bard, Nickel, tyree, ariadne,Nehalenia--thanks!

The work on here is just amazing. I'm getting really excited about taking part in this. :D

Yes, Nickel, the watercolor bunch are extremely supportive. :)

Lyn

rosebard
01-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Charlene, Sandy and Keith! So cool to see your Week 1 cards!! :D Glad to see that Chalerne and Sandy made it. :) Keith the color version of it is so exquisite. :)

Week 2 is already rocking! See you guys there. :) :wave:

AriadneArts
01-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Keith, your cover is nothing short of wonderful! Thanks for posting it.

dex
01-09-2006, 12:07 PM
CHARLENE...... nicely done,you realy captured the expression too!,and better late ,than never?

SANDY........excellent job,well done.

KEITH........like both versions equally

dex

Nickel
01-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Hi Sandy, great job on your card for week 2.:clap:

Eileen has the link above for you to click to week 2, Thanks Eileen. :wave:

Keith, nice color for your cover. I like it! :)

Hi tyree, glad she looks pencive, she did turn out pretty good considering how lacking in direction I was :eek: now at least with the first one, I have a little guidance set down as to which road I am on. :angel:

Hi Artmom, so glad your on the trip for week 2 :) I have my fingers crossed for you for 52 :) paintings.

Dex I wonder who you'll do this week????

I wonder who everyone is doing this week. I have a surprise for somebody.:eek: on mine. I have started earlier than last week. Pat me on the back. ;)

This is such a great group! I am having the best time with you all! Thanks so much for all everyone is doing to make this journey a happy successful experience. Many thanks to Bard, Dex, AriadneArts, Chloe_1, Mauricar, Tyree, Nehalenia, Fleur, Fish<><, Laraine, S. McPherson, JennN, Artmom, Carey Griffel, PushingPixels, bjs0704, ameliajordan, JustjoGA, Mr sandbanx, obxladybear, DL Johnson, Yahooserious, Olga.

Hope to see all of you in week 2. Anyone not there will be missed!!!! Anyone not here yet, come on over to week 2.

:) Nickel

dex
01-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Dex I wonder who you'll do this week????

I wonder who everyone is doing this week. I have a surprise for somebody.:eek: on mine. I have started earlier than last week. Pat me on the back. ;)

:) Nickel

Nickel,you're guess is as good as mine:),not decided yet!(will have to get a grip!! or will be too late :) ),will have to go and see what I can dig up!
and I agree on the group,great bunch:wink2:.

dex

dex
01-12-2006, 07:49 PM
did I post this coloured version?........sorry if i did(well it is 12-45am,and i'm tired :( ):).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2006/69694-image0.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)