PDA

View Full Version : Tatoo Art

sassybird
02-02-2002, 01:28 PM
I figured this would be the place to look for help.

Recently I was asked to design a tatoo of a female eye for someone. Does anyone have experience in tatoo design? Many years ago I did some design work for a few people, but the work was very different from what I am being asked to do now.

If anyone has any advice please lend me a hand. The design is to be of a hazel eye, green/brown with eyebrow, shading in blues and violets. This is to be surrounded by a heart that goes from blue to violet from the outside inwards.

maha
02-02-2002, 03:16 PM
Yeah I do some tattoo design. I do not give people tattoos nor am I a tattoo artist, but I design some tribal style tats for fun. Most of which have some geometric configuration to them. An eye, brow and heartshape all have a bilateral symetry which make them a good choice for a simple, balanced tattoo. That's why people often get peace signs, smiley faces...because they look the same on the right side and left. Having said that, most good Tattoo artists can portray realistic images quite well. So you could draw a realistic looking eye and go that route...Or you could create some stylization and make it look somewhat abstract maybe even like an Ancient egyptian/hyroglyphic type thing. Here I'll do something real quick and scan it for you. But I can tell you now that if you try to make it realistic it won't turn out that well most likely. See if this gives you any ideas.

coyote
02-02-2002, 03:31 PM
when designing for tattoo, it's important to keep the medium in mind. While blending can certainly be done by a good "scratch artist", it's not the same as with other mediums...like paint or pencils. It's more like pointillism...a lighter area of color comes from less dots, not less color. If you don't design it that way, the scratcher will adapt the design to the medium and you may not get what you expected.

sassybird
02-02-2002, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the advice. I know something about the medium although I have no tatoo's nor do I do them for people. I do, however, do a lot of pointilism. I've begun the design, realistic as asked for, but the rest will be up to the tatooist. I'll post what I finish for you to look at.