PDA

View Full Version : late FND

alyona100
02-02-2002, 11:56 AM
Hi you all!!!

Thatīs the first time I am participating - itīs true, it feels addictive and is great fun..unfortunately, in the end I decided I am not at all happy with the results...but hey, I am just learning:)
I spent about 1 1/2 hrs on the watercolor with the Antique store and then out of frustration did a quick 10 min pastel on black paper "shaft of light" thing...I will try to post them now and canīt wait to see all yours!!! I usually enjoy it so!

alyona100
02-02-2002, 11:57 AM
canīt figure out how to post two pics:)

dupliKate
02-02-2002, 12:18 PM
These are both excellent! I particularly like the watercolour...the other reference photo (the light) seemed so difficult to do in a drawing..you have done it well.

I like the soft light, yet very colourful antique store front you have done.

K:)

PainterlyPeg
02-02-2002, 12:21 PM
alona..great work! I do not know why you dislike the antique shop. I think you did very well with it. Peg
:)

mebucko
02-02-2002, 12:28 PM
Hi alyona, I think that you're holding out on us, these are really VERY good, I will say that I love the top one more though, it looks like it's right out of a glossy high class magazine to me! Very good illustration, honest! You're not even that familiar with paints, I don't think, and you did a bang-up job, you'll see, other people will think so too. My first wc looked so bad I haven't picked 'em up again since! I also like the second one, and it is a very different you... It has mood too, and I can feel the drip, drip, drip of a damp area, or maybe I'm crazy, could be...:p As to posting 2 pics at the same time... This 'go by' will hopefully show you how it's done, if you use the automatic uploader, I'm not sure how y'all do that, but if you upload the pic, then the line of type that you COPY, PASTE that, then upload the next pic, then COPY that and PASTE it right UNDER the other. When you go to make NEW THREAD is when you PASTE it in... I hope that this helps, if not, PM me, I can (hopefully) make it more clear...This GO BY is made to upload 3 pics, and remember, always paste 'em inline, meaning not side by side, in other words, not over 50 pixels wide.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2002/GO_BY_2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2001/ranbucko-2.gif

DanaT
02-02-2002, 12:28 PM
They look pretty good to me. My favorite is the cafe scene but as y'all can guess by now, I'm partial to that one. Your use of color is marvelous, I wish I had your touch.

One thing that I have found is that when I am learning something new, I will either get colors right, or the lines, or the values but I won't necessarily get all of them at once (at least at first).

As I said, your color sense is great-keep it up. You'll never have problems with that. The lines and perspective on a street scene are murder and all of us that did that one messed up a little. Just for fun, print out a copy of the original photo and place it over your watercolor. If your paper's thin enough, you can see the differences. That will help you see the perspective correctly the next time. Don't copy the lines though, you'll never develop your eye that way. Values are not as hard to get, for mine I used a Sharpie pen to do a preliminary value sketch. I started blocking out the major shapes according to three main values-white, black, and medium and then added other values as necessary. This helped immensely. Alyona, you probably saw the sketch in my thread.

Keep up the great work on color and everything else will fall into place.

alyona100
02-02-2002, 12:40 PM
To DupliKate and Peg: thank you...way too kind:) (well, that goes for all you people - you are just too nice to me:))

To Mebucko: oh yeah, the drip drip drip...hear it all the time in my head myself:) madness is contagious:) and thanks for the advice re posting, not sure if I got it right but I will give it a try next time...so I guess I will need to first upload the pics and then start a new thread, right? I always try to do it the other way around:)

To Dana, oh yes, I saw the sketch and like it a lot...and sure, thatīs why I said I was so unhappy with the results, the perspective was wrong and I didnīt manage to fit most of the details...the colours are the easiest for me, I have no clue why, itīs just I never seem to have problems with paints or perhaps I donīt know enough to see where I am wrong:)

baquitania
02-02-2002, 12:43 PM
Aylona100:

Cool, your watercolor means I don't have to do mine :D ... cause I just don't see the point now... I'd only be copying you...

Another note I'm glad you could make our Art Event, get ready for another this friday... hope to see you there, I should be well by then...

Bobby

DanaT
02-02-2002, 12:45 PM
Good God girl, if you've got the colors right, that's half the battle. The rest is a piece of cake. You've got nothing to be unhappy at. It's still a lovely watercolor.

mebucko
02-02-2002, 01:01 PM
Alyona, I think you've got it... I UPLOAD my 1st pic, then PASTE it into a NEW THREAD, then UPLOAD the 2nd pic, and then PASTE it right UNDER the 1st, that's all there is to it. Try it, it's pretty easy...

Randy

Bendaini
02-02-2002, 01:13 PM
I love the way it gets fuzzy in the "distance"

Its wonderful that you were able to come do the FND :)

crissy

digistyle
02-02-2002, 01:46 PM
Great colors on the wc painting! I also like the way you portrayed the bricks in the buildings. I did the second one, too. It's really cool to see how others interpreted it. Your pastel work gave it a very 3D feel. Good stuff.

digistyle

Debs
02-02-2002, 02:42 PM
These are wonderful.
I like the colors and detail in the first (I think it's my favorite) and the second one is wonderfully moody, and looks really good.

Gisela
02-02-2002, 04:53 PM
Alyona,
These are both very nice! I really love the mood you've captured in the second one -- like something right out of a 'film noir.'

Gisela

Ivyleaf
02-02-2002, 05:32 PM
Excellent! Nice job on both :)

:) :) :)
Ivy

AriadneArts
02-03-2002, 12:51 AM
Alonya,

These are both wonderful. I also did "Light" but yours really has the look of a cavern, dampness and concrete or decaying plaster. Excellent!

My favorite is the watercolor, though. It's so bright and spontaneous. I kind of like the fact that the perspective isn't "perfect." It adds to the spontaneity of it, and so, to its charm. Good work!

alyona100
02-03-2002, 01:43 AM
Oh thank you all so much - I feel like I swallowed a hot-air balloon, bursting with self-admiration:) - itīs the first time anything I post generates TWO pages of comments:)) I guess I will soon start liking those myself:)

now I am sorry I donīt have time to respond to each of you separately (husband was already raving at me using his scanner and computer!!) but please accept my big thank you, everyone!!!

Wally's Mom
02-03-2002, 04:07 PM
The watercolor of the storefront is spectacular !