PDA

View Full Version : BirchTrees by Lakeshore in WC

Laura Tasheiko
02-02-2002, 09:02 AM
A small watercolor sketch (7 1/2"x10") - the first in quite a while, but it's good to be back in my studio again. Comments are appreciated. L.

pasum
02-02-2002, 09:28 AM
Very nice painting. I like the color in your trees, leaves and the way your lake takes you into the painting. My only thought was the background and trees father away should be a little lighter in value, then there would be more depth. It is so cold here today, I wish I was by your lake enjoying in the warmth.

Pam S

Javier
02-02-2002, 01:23 PM
This is a fine painting -- you have a lovely style.

It is an Outstanding composition.
A Great palette.
And the trees are beautiful.

Lose the bird -- I feel that it is a distraction. It keeps pulling my viewing away from those great trees.

I really enjoyed the viewing -- Thank-You,

Laura Tasheiko
02-02-2002, 02:19 PM
Thanks for your comments Pasum, I'll keep that in mind if I do a larger version of this.

Javier - lose the bird - if I knew how to move the smiles around, I'd put the Eek! in. The sketch for trees was done on location in sketch book in cake wc, but the bird motivated me to do the painting. So I'm kind of attached to it, and it is certainly attached to the paper (unless I use bleach!). But I do see what you mean. It does change the focus. The trees were fun to do. Glad you enjoyed the view. L

Lise
02-02-2002, 02:38 PM
Hi Laura, the trees and colors are just lovely. Great foliage. I agree with Pasum re the distant trees. The painting needs the bird to balance the composition, I think, and the trees direct the viewer's attention to the bird. Well done.

Rich Williams
02-02-2002, 04:36 PM
YOu have a wonderfull painting here and I wish I could have enjoyed that day by the lake.
Are not birch a wonderfull tree to paint?They are one of my favorites, and I was looking at yours and thinking.
If I were to change anything in the painting I would lighten the value of the distant trees as aready sugesetd and then I would make a small modification to the birch's.
To make them apprear more round I follow this simple rule. Below the level of the eye the ring affect on the bark should curve up and baove the eye level the ring should curve down.

Rich

taghera
02-02-2002, 07:36 PM
Lovely painting, follow Richs advice its good. :)

Laura Tasheiko
02-02-2002, 07:53 PM
Hi Lise. I thought so, too. In my sketchbook sketch w/o bird, the eye moved around the page OK (because in the original distant shore and horizon actually are a lighter than it appears here), but it needed something else for balance and interest. And I didn't want to do another boat! Anyway, thanks alot.
Rich, it was a nice day - glad you can enjoy it vicariously. And thanks for the new rule. (No! I'm not being facetious. I really mean it.) L.

wilkinsonart
02-03-2002, 10:45 AM
Nice strong colours and strokes and painting - looks like you never stopped using the studio.

addphan
02-03-2002, 04:59 PM
a very lovely painting...

NorahT
02-03-2002, 10:56 PM
Very well done - a real pleasure :)

T-Rex
02-04-2002, 06:28 AM
Well done....Karen:)

els
02-04-2002, 10:16 AM
Fantastic trees... It is a great job...

I like the bird, agree that it can be distracting but it gives motion to the painting...

RuthT
02-05-2002, 10:31 AM
Beautiful work on the trees Laura.

I wish I knew how to type this in a very small font, but I'm with Javier - lose the bird.

momsyward
02-05-2002, 11:32 PM
This is a great painting. I am partial to birch trees being from Canada and I love your rendering of the trees.

Rod
02-06-2002, 01:39 AM
Beautiful bark, foliage , colours and your composition is great,

agree with the comment re distant trees , a cooler colour and less strength would throw them back and give more depth,
Rod