PDA

View Full Version : You are invited on an art journey :O)

Nickel
12-29-2005, 12:08 PM
Hi, I want to invite you (all WC members & lurkers too, it is free to join) to join me/us/you here in the Classical Forum on an art journey. This journey is to sketch or paint classical paintings, drawings, and/or sculpture art cards, one card each week for the next 52 weeks. I would enjoy your company, so come on and join me. These cards can be any size and of any material you choose with however you want to make them. The subject/topic should be classical themed since we are in the classical forum. It will be fun to see how each person makes their stack/deck/book of cards.

Ideas could be all one artist, an example Rubens; from one style time period, example being baroque; or you can mix them up. Maybe choose to theme your cards using da Vinciís drawings of flying machines and submarines. Maybe have a religious theme based on the Virgin Mary; or your theme might be Napoleon and Moscow 1812; or the theme might be the any classical way you feel the day you create them.

So to start I will go ahead and assemble my material for the total of 52 cards. Maybe a few extra cards for when I mess up and donít like what I created. I am thinking it would be easy to cut coated paper used for oil painting exercises into 52 equal pieces. I might also just cut some canvas and use it. The choice of material is yours to choose.

The goal is one card a week for 52 weeks. You could make the cards to actually use for playing or you could plan to use them in a book, maybe hole punch them and keep as a journal. Artistís quotes would be neat to add to the cards too. Maybe your cards will be in the style of an artist. Be creative and join me.

Nickel

bjs0704
12-29-2005, 12:17 PM
What a neat idea, Nickel! I'm in!

Barb Solomon:cat:

rosebard
12-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Very interesting ideia Nickel! :) :) :)

mauricar
12-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Sounds like fun. I don't know a lot about classical. I'll have to check it out.

bjs0704
12-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Hi Midge,

It's nice to meet you! This just might be the sort of project that would give you a nice start!

JennN
12-29-2005, 04:11 PM
Hi, Nickel.
What a great idea!
I'd love to join in on this, but all of Jan. through the middle of March is soooo busy for me, I'm not sure if I could keep up. (Although, I might try to squeeze it in.)

But, regardless if I participate or not, I'll check in whenever I can to see how everyone is doing.
(and to keep an eye on Midge!! LOL :wave: )

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Happy creating!

Jenn

bjs0704
12-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Hi Jenn

I hope that you will do what you can! And at least visit us and offer encouragement when you are busy!

Best wishes,

bjs0704
12-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Nickel,

I'm new to the art card idea! What do you consider an art card? How do you make one?:angel:

rosebard
12-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Hi Jenn and Midge, nice to meet you!! :)

mauricar
12-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Nickel: Let me just check here to see if I understand how we are to paint. We can use any medium (I'll use colored pencil or Ink). We need to copy the old masters. We can pick any of them that we want, but we need to stick to one all year. Or, we need to copy the techniques of an old master. Or, I am totally wrong on each count. DUH. Could you please put this in baby terms, remember I am old and not very bright (smile sideways)
I was thinking of doing religious material if possible. I have always wanted to do that type of work but have been afraid to try.

JennN
12-29-2005, 06:45 PM
Midge~ DO NOT be afraid! You are VERY talented (and not a dull bulb at all. :) )

I can't wait to see all the creativity that will flow from this group. I'll join in when I can a nd backtrack when I can't. (would that be okay, Nickel?)

rosebard
12-29-2005, 07:55 PM
Midge if you want to look for some ideias try this link:
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/

For example, I am thinking on going for landscapes paintings and drawings, I am not sure yet what period of style I will pic. Anyway, I cliked on subjects, then landscape, I found a german artist from 1737-1807, who did lovely landscapes drawings.

I hope this art seaching engine inspire you to find something you like to work on. BTW, I am going to work with colored pencils too, among other types of pencils. LOoking forward to see what you come up with!! :) Good luck on your searching!!

mauricar
12-29-2005, 08:34 PM
WOW! I am impressed with that site. Thank you very much. I now an idea for what I want to do. THank you again.

Fish<><
12-29-2005, 10:11 PM
WOW!!! :eek: This sounds like a great time! I have recently been reading and studying a little of El Greco.

I have a 12" x 12" binder (actually a scrapbook) that I have been pounding my head into trying to find an "artistic" use for. Is that too big for this trip?
I would like to study a different master each month and try to work with the medium they worked with when possible.

Ya'll mind if I tag along? I won't take up much room. :D

Keith

bjs0704
12-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Well, a while back, I saw a website that showed Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel. (Go to the Web Gallery of Art and then go to Michelangelo. It will knock your socks off!) It would be fun to try to do the ignudi figures.

Or

I may do a Greek myth theme.

Or
Try crops from Botticelli.

bjs0704
12-29-2005, 10:59 PM
Keith - I can't wait to see your "El Greco's"!:cool: :cool: :cool:

Nickel - I have also thought occasionally of going to the Louvre and sketching from the masters there. Cyberspace style! I might just sketch from room to room! Or maybe I should do a "tour" of Europe!:D

Sapho Saphron
12-30-2005, 01:20 AM
Can I make a sketch on note card every week? I don't have a lot of time with all the art I have to do for school, but I would like to get involved with this and I do have tons of unused note cards. :)

Fleur
12-30-2005, 06:03 AM
What a brilliant idea! Count me in on this. Don't know yet what I shall aim for, but I've had a desire to study some of the old master's carefully and work from their art, so maybe that's what I'll do.
When do we start???
MD

JennN
12-30-2005, 06:53 AM
Nickel~
Is it okay to switch up our mediums through out this project? I mainly work in graphite and acrylic, but am learning cp. Or would you rather we stick to one medium through out?

I almost forgot! Thanks for the compliment on my dragon. I'm glad you like it. It was an illustration for a story for KidVisions magazine.

JennN
12-30-2005, 07:03 AM
Bard~ Thanks for the link! I think I'll try my hand at John George Brown 1831-1913 to begin with....I also checked out your site. Fantastic!

rosebard
12-30-2005, 07:32 AM
:clap: Nickel thanks this project is way too cool! I am starting to get the inspiration coming from all the sides of this thread. I think I will fly with my imagination to any medium I can get the hang on. I have watercolor, acrylic, w/c pencil, maybe a can even try a mini in oils. Wow, really great stuff to start the year and kick out our creativety out of us.

I am glad the link is cool! There is so much great works and stuff all around that site, that I feel lost, but I have made up my mind. I will work on landscapes. Should be fun and relaxing, aswell to give me some oportunity to look closer at landscapers masters. :)

Good question!! WHEN do we start Nickel?? :D :wave:

rosebard
12-30-2005, 07:41 AM
1st January?? Cool cool cool!! :) Nickel you keep me really busy. LOLOL I am off to get life sorted out and cut my cards later!!!

Welcome Keith, Fleur and Saphon!!

Fleur
12-30-2005, 08:22 AM
Right! Starting on the 1st..... will get my cards cut then today and tomorrow....
Looking forward to seeing everybody's work....
MD

sbparsons
12-30-2005, 10:00 AM
What a great idea to make sure you do something each week. I don't know what I'll do yet but I'm going to label each card with Sunday's date so I know I don't miss one. Maybe cut them to size and keep them in a small scrapbook.

JennN
12-30-2005, 02:36 PM
I MAY have a problem with the 1st....that's when the cp class begins. LOL, but I'll try my best (may be checking in on the 2nd...)

Laraine
12-30-2005, 04:15 PM
Should we post our work to this thread?

rosebard
12-30-2005, 07:26 PM
:wave: Laraine!! Welcome to Classical Art Forum! :)

A new thread will be started on Sunday, January 1st. We will be adding a link here to the first thread to make sure no one misses it. Glad to see you taking this journey too Laraine. :) :wave:

Fish<><
12-30-2005, 10:00 PM
I'm so anxious to get started!!!! Trying to hold off until Sunday is going to be tough. :evil:

I was going to ask a question about posting myself, but see that it has already been answered so nevermind. LOL

Here is that recent study I mentioned of El Greco... It was a hit at my first show at a local coffee shop this month.

Nickel
12-30-2005, 10:35 PM
I'm so anxious to get started!!!! Trying to hold off until Sunday is going to be tough. :evil:

I was going to ask a question about posting myself, but see that it has already been answered so nevermind. LOL

Here is that recent study I mentioned of El Greco... It was a hit at my first show at a local coffee shop this month.

Yes it is so nice Keith! I see why it was a hit! Very, very, very, very, Nice! I like this a lot! Going back to look somemore! Nickel

mauricar
12-30-2005, 10:43 PM
Very nice Keith. I am impressed.

Laraine
12-30-2005, 11:27 PM
I'm looking forward to giving it a try, although 52 sounds ambitious to me, as others have noted. I'm ready to go with an ink drawing copy of a Titian painting.

What size file or dimensions do you recommend for the image we upload? Do you want us to include the source image? Apologies if you've already covered this.

rosebard
12-31-2005, 08:14 AM
Oh Keith this is lovely! YOu done with your first card already!! That is inspiring. Thanks for not waiting to show us. Cool!! :)

Laraine the pic can be uploaded at the normal size of WC, which is 500X600 pixels.

:)

Fish<><
12-31-2005, 08:27 AM
Oh Keith this is lovely! YOu done with your first card already!! That is inspiring. Thanks for not waiting to show us. Cool!! :)

Actually this was done a while back when I got the opportunity to visit the Rau Collection when it toured though Dayton, Ohio. I've been hooked on El Greco since. :)

I think I am going to do a few more of his for my first cards though.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

dex
12-31-2005, 12:14 PM
nice idea Nickel,never done classical(dont know if I could cope!:) ),and thanks rose for link,might just have a browse!,(seeking inspiration!!).
Will look in from time to time(if nothing else!).
dex

PushingPixels
12-31-2005, 01:11 PM
I stumbled across your thread. I mainly do digital art, due to the ease and less mess. Then I can work on it at my desk at work during lunch etc.
If this medium is ok I'd like to join.
The benefit of looking at the master's works will be a great art lesson in itself. The subject area is so broad - whew, are you thinking style as in (Impressionist, cubism, surrealism and those other isms) or are you thinking of classical as in renaissance era masters like Michelangelo etc etc.

Either way I'm interested. Since we are refering to a master work of some kind maybe the participant should inculde a reference to the work and master he was inspired by. That would make it a very rich experience for me as I love to study art from any period. (just a sugestion)

artmom
12-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Hi! I'm escaping from the Watercolor Forum! :evil: :D

This sounds really interesting. I only painted one fun painting last year--actually only one painting period! :eek:

Maybe this will inspire my return to painting. I've always been interested in classical art, but lacked the drawing skills. However, I've been practicing my drawing, so maybe I'll try this.

To make it easy on myself, I might just use postcard size paper, already cut. However, my son collects playing cards, so I might decide to do a set of playing cards.

I commit to doing at least this first week's card; we'll see how it goes from there.:)

Lyn

Carey Griffel
12-31-2005, 06:13 PM
Oh how interesting! What a good idea, Nickel!

You know what I just thought would be a good idea...though I sort of stole it from somone else, quite honestly...I have this whole box of business cards that I had made up and I kinda need to do something with them because I'll need new cards once my website's up, etc. But it would be a lot of fun to use the backs of my cards for...something! They're a little small, true, but...it would be cool.

Hmm...thanks for the inspiration! I'll see what I can do about joining in! :wink2:

~!Carey

rosebard
12-31-2005, 06:26 PM
Hi Dex, Pushingpixels, Lyn and Carey! :wave:

Still inspiring as it is a lovely done Keith!! :) Cant wait to see what you will come up with the first week.

Nice to see what people stopping by and cant wait to see yours too. :)

Carey Griffel
12-31-2005, 06:56 PM
Haha! ...If only I'd finish that one...hmmm....

AriadneArts
12-31-2005, 11:17 PM

What a wonderful study, Keith!

Thanks for the wonderful inspiration, Nickel! I've been trying to get motivated to get back to painting and I adore this idea. I'll give it my best shot. Thought I'd try a little Fra Angelico for my first one, as I've been working in egg tempera and am currently enamoured with medieval painting.

Chloe_1
01-01-2006, 10:15 AM
WoW nickel what an inspiring project!!! Never tried classical art before.
Is it ok to copy the master's artwork, and under what condition?
I will be using different media if that's ok.

PS. I am not to clear on the period. Are you referring to Classicism period only?
You suggested DaVinci as an example, and he's from the Renaissance period..

Fleur
01-01-2006, 10:57 AM
WoW nickel what an inspiring project!!! Never tried classical art before.
Is it ok to copy the master's artwork, and under what condition?
I will be using different media if that's ok.

PS. I am not to clear on the period. Are you referring to Classicism period only?
You suggested DaVinci as an example, and he's from the Renaissance period..

Mmmm... I was wondering this too... in fact I'd thought of doing either Matisse or Van Gogh or maybe JW Waterhouse..... but my knowledge of art history is very poor... virtually non-existent, and am now wondering whether any of these actually qualify????
MD

rosebard
01-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi Fleur! Welcome Chloe to Classical Art Forum! :)

I am not expert in Classical Art either. I have only being around and devoting mostly full time into it, but there is so much to see and learn that I dont think ever I will get to the bottom of it. Anyway, to me Classical is a concept that have developed into various styles in different places and different times. We still have classical art still in our current time, and they are contemporary to us. But those artists cannot be copied because of copyright issues. But from anytime before 19th century is cool to study and copy. Matise and Van gogh broke themself out of the classical gender, they went to their own way of expressing, I think something that even classical painters may do once in while. Anyway, to be helpfull and to answer your questions, you can either browse ARC and any artist over there is Classical for sure or you can use http://www.artcyclopedia.com/ and browse through period of times. Like:
Pre-Renaissance
Gothic Art
Byzantine Art

The Renaissance
The Early Renaissance
The High Renaissance
The Northern Renaissance
Mannerism

17th Century
Baroque Art

18th Century
The Rococo Style
Neoclassicism
Academic Art

19th Century
Romanticism
The Hudson River School
The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood
Victorian Classicism

Realism
The Barbizon School

This should help you familiarize with Classical Art. I know it is a long list. I hope you enjoy the journey of learning a bit more about Classical Art. :)

Fish<><
01-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Chloe - I think we are shooting for anything before the Impressionist period which would be mid to late 1800s. Of couse I started my first piece reference a piece of Lautrec who is referred to as a post-impressionist and I haven;t been kicked out of the car yet. :)

Check out Artcyclopedia (http://www.artcyclopedia.com/) for more info on the movements and dates.
Keith

OOPS. We must've hit this at the same time Bard! :)

Laraine
01-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Here's my first classical art card. Hope the attachment is successful.

Titian, The Flaying of Marsyas, 1575-76.
8.5" x 11", rotring fine nib artpen

SparkleAnnie
01-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Well, Nickel, this sounds very interesting and I think I'll throw my hat into the ring and join in. Not sure if I'll be able to keep up because of my schedule, but I'll do my best to squeeze this in.

Art cards are new to me also. Plus, I'm a new member here, so this will be my first time to join in on a group project. I'm always ready to try out something new and this sounds like lots of fun!

Annie

Chloe_1
01-01-2006, 12:03 PM

We still have classical art still in our current time, and they are contemporary to us. But those artists cannot be copied because of copyright issues. But from anytime before 19th century is cool to study and copy. :)

Of what I understand it's ok to copy any artwork before the 19th century for our personal use.
Is it ok to sell them to?
I've been seriously into art for 1 year, and still have lots to learn:wave:

rosebard
01-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Of what I understand it's ok to copy any artwork before the 19th century for our personal use.
Is it ok to sell them to?
I've been seriously into art for 1 year, and still have lots to learn:wave:

If it is a public domain, yes you can sell it. But you need to check if no one owners the copyrights so you can copy and eventually if you feel like selling it is ok to do so. Barb or anyone out there, by public domain means the works that are displayed in museums? That is good Chloe, I have lots to learn too, so we can learn together. :)

Laraine, this is really cool. I love it. I need to get mine started today at least. Here is the link for the first week gallery where we should post our first Art Card. :) .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4185137#post4185137

Hi Keith we did crossposted. :) But this is a place for helping each other, so feel free to help anytime. I love the French title for you journey book. So classic! :)

'""Voyage D'ARt 2006 - redecouvrez le classiques.""

Laraine
01-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Rose, thanks for redirecting me. I got caught up in the discussion and forgot where the post should go. OOPS!

Fish<><
01-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Thanks Rose! I did take a little artistic license from the original but wanted to keep some touch of the original. :)

Back at it now.

dex
01-01-2006, 05:22 PM

I am not expert in Classical Art either. I have only being around and devoting mostly full time into it, but there is so much to see and learn that I dont think ever I will get to the bottom of it. Anyway, to me Classical is a concept that have developed into various styles in different places and different times. We still have classical art still in our current time, and they are contemporary to us. But those artists cannot be copied because of copyright issues. But from anytime before 19th century is cool to study and copy. Matise and Van gogh broke themself out of the classical gender, they went to their own way of expressing, I think something that even classical painters may do once in while. Anyway, to be helpfull and to answer your questions, you can either browse ARC and any artist over there is Classical for sure or you can use http://www.artcyclopedia.com/ and browse through period of times. Like:
Pre-Renaissance
Gothic Art
Byzantine Art

The Renaissance
The Early Renaissance
The High Renaissance
The Northern Renaissance
Mannerism

17th Century
Baroque Art

18th Century
The Rococo Style
Neoclassicism
Academic Art

19th Century
Romanticism
The Hudson River School
Victorian Classicism

Realism
The Barbizon School

This should help you familiarize with Classical Art. I know it is a long list. I hope you enjoy the journey of learning a bit more about Classical Art. :)

Thanks for the information Rose,
much appreciated!
regards
dex

bjs0704
01-01-2006, 09:20 PM
I not a legal expert, but, in general, public domain means that the work is at least 100 years old (different countries have different laws in regards to the number of years). So, new paintings in the museums are still probably not in public domain.

Use older work to stay safe and give credit to the original.

Chloe_1
01-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Tks.Barb
Is the reason why someone can copy the old masters' art because they are no longer around?
Sorry about all these question; but would like to have a very clear understanding of it.:wave:

bjs0704
01-01-2006, 11:21 PM
The copyright laws are meant to provide protection to the artist and their family and so it only last a certain number of generations. Then, a work is considered "public domain".

There is suppose to be a balance between the creator's needs and the society's needs. Public domain allows people access to information so that they can research and understand our culture.

Now, I need to remind you. I'm not a lawyer, I'm just giving guidelines. It is a really interesting question though.

Chloe_1
01-02-2006, 02:57 AM
Thanks Barb for the enlightening information.
I feel more comfortable now to learn, and to be inspired from the Old Masters .
I decided I was going to do the Art Cards format 2.5x 3.5 hot press watercolor paper. This is totally new for me, and think I might do all paintings in this format. We'll see.
The first one is from The Lovers by Italian Neo Classical Sculptor Antonio Canova(1757-1822).
I started off with graphite, and then used ink. I think I might of overdone it with the ink especially in the woman's face. I decide to post it anyway..as it is a learning experience, and really enjoyed drawing on a small format.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2006/68155-IMG_0020.JPG

Fish<><
01-02-2006, 07:35 AM
Chloe - Very well done! Dramatic lighting effect and I like it! Great questions as well. :)

Barb - Thanks for the guidelines! Great information.

dex
01-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Very dramatic sketch Chloe,and as Keith said,good question's,they were some I was wondering about!.
dex

Laraine
01-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Hi Chloe, Congratulations on completing your first art card. I made the mistake of posting mine here, too. Here is the link where we should post our first Art Card:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...37#post4185137

Chloe_1
01-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Tks..Fish, Dex and Laraine. The link doesn't open Laraine.

Good it could help you along Dex;-)

Chloe_1
01-02-2006, 12:58 PM

What size and medium Keith. Nice painting;-)

Laraine
01-02-2006, 01:09 PM
I copied the link from a message from Bard earlier in this thread. Look for the message dated: 1-1-2006 12:34

Halfway down her post you will see the link.

LightDancer
01-02-2006, 01:44 PM
This is a great idea!!! I'm not a classical painter, but I might make a deck anyway. Perhaps my "classical" idea is simply to make a Tarot Deck. But my style will be anything but classical I'm afraid!!! :D Thanks for the inspiration ...

Fleur
01-02-2006, 04:37 PM

Pre-Renaissance
Gothic Art
Byzantine Art

The Renaissance
The Early Renaissance
The High Renaissance
The Northern Renaissance
Mannerism

17th Century
Baroque Art

18th Century
The Rococo Style
Neoclassicism
Academic Art

19th Century
Romanticism
The Hudson River School
Victorian Classicism

Realism
The Barbizon School

Thank you so much for that list. It has been very helpful and I have settled on the Pre-raphaelites, in particular JW Waterhouse.
MD

Fish<><
01-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Chloe, the El Greco posted here is about 5" x 7". It was in a small sketchbook till I decided to frame it up. It was done with an ink underdrawing and the colors added about a week later using oil pastels and a postcard I bought as a reference. :)

It's great fun studying the masters! I just went to the library and found a HUGE book about this artist and think I'm going to go back to him next week. :)

weckster
01-03-2006, 05:10 AM
hope I'm not too late to join.
Will start tonight if I can....
It's a great idea.

rosebard
01-03-2006, 06:17 AM
Welcome Erica to Classical Art Forum and the Art JOurney!! No you are not too late, it is still tuesday and you can still post on the first week thread. Choose a classical theme, artista, period or whatever classical work you admire and come and join us in this link:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4185137#post4185137

Val Simmonds
01-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Re: You are invited on an art journey :0)

Hi, Nickel, I am new to WC and have not posted any work as yet. Until now I didn't have the right equipment but my family surprised me withthis for Christmas. The idea of the classical cards sounds great and I would like to join in although I may not be able to produce on a weekly basis. Let me know if this ok. Val Simmonds (I'll get the hang of this one day soon)

obxladybear
01-07-2006, 04:58 PM
I know I am jumping on this train late in the game, but it piqued my interest and I would like to give it a try.....

Scouring through artencyclopedia.com is quite interesting. Bard mentioned in one of his posts that we could look also at ARC....forgive my ignorance, but what is ARC? (This is my first time exploring the Classical Art forum).

rosebard
01-07-2006, 05:37 PM
I know I am jumping on this train late in the game, but it piqued my interest and I would like to give it a try.....

Scouring through artencyclopedia.com is quite interesting. Bard mentioned in one of his posts that we could look also at ARC....forgive my ignorance, but what is ARC? (This is my first time exploring the Classical Art forum).

:clap: That is cool Charlene. Welcome. First...call me Rose. ARC is Art Renewal art.... www.artrenewal.org it has good stuff about Classical Art for you to explore. Hope you do jump in. See you on WEEk 1 thread or Next week thread that starts tomorrow. :wave: Check up the sticked threads, the gallery thread is sticked up there too. :wave:

obxladybear
01-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Thank you very much, Rose.....heading out to explore ARC now....:wave:

obxladybear
01-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Thank you and nice to meet you, too, Nickel.....I've already started on my first one...should have it done tomorrow....and then will start another for week two....:D

Ian94
03-06-2009, 04:31 PM
As newcomer to WetCanvas and a recently retired Western Canadian with a love of Art History - I've chosen Turner's 'The Fighting Temeraire' as the subject for my first attempt at oil pastels. It's a work in progress

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2009/166550-AfterTurner_ii.jpg