PDA

View Full Version : FND-Feb 1, 2002

DanaT
02-02-2002, 12:10 AM
Better late than never!

I spent about an hour on this-Conte crayons on Canson Mi-Tentes paper. It was harder than I thought but architecture was never my strongpoint.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2002/StreetScene2.jpg

I'm also trying to get the quilted pattern out of my drawings, with little success.

Debs
02-02-2002, 12:22 AM
I like this....Another mood picture :)
It amazes me how many people here tonight said that architecture wasn't their thing....yet each and every picture had lovely qualities.....talent or imagination just doesn't "go away", simply because something is new....that was proven to me tonight :)

charming picture:)

Lulu
02-02-2002, 12:22 AM
It's lovely Dana:) By quilting do you mean the texture of the paper??? If so I think it adds to this piece.

dnip24
02-02-2002, 12:24 AM
In my opinion you need to improve a little those crayons colors in
the brightness and smoothness! Looks nice!

Bendaini
02-02-2002, 12:25 AM
I love the way that came out. That paper gives it some great texture.

artlover
02-02-2002, 12:27 AM
I like what you've done w/ this one-the 'quilted look' suits this very well-I like how everything is just suggested and not drawn in detail...maybe the quilted thing comes from the paper you use?

DanaT
02-02-2002, 12:34 AM
OK so you guys made me feel better. I'm glad I posted.

Debs
02-02-2002, 12:40 AM
Me again....I like the quilted look with this piece but if you don't like it, you can always use the smooth backside, it surprizes me how much pastel the backside holds even though it doesn't seem to have tooth at all.

I did a portrait with it and it held pastels very nicely.(for me it did well) It's too big to scan though without clipping the sides of the head.
Anyway, Canson mi-tientes is all I use for pastels, and now prefer the backside for portraits.

I like the quilted side for other things though:)

AriadneArts
02-02-2002, 02:27 AM
Very nice detail of pic. I love the way you did the awnings--they almost look like real cloth. And the texture of the paper enhances the overall effect. Good work!:clap:

Ivyleaf
02-02-2002, 09:47 AM
Dana,
I find a lot of times I have to get the right viewing point on something I've done before I end up liking it. Look at it close, step back a few feet, then step across the room and look at it. I think this piece reminds me of one of those "dot dot Serat" paintings, that once you look up close, you see everything that went into making it, and when you step back you see the bigger picture. I think it really works well!

Nice job, keep up the good work!

:)
Ivy

dupliKate
02-02-2002, 09:55 AM
I'm with everyone else...the texture of the paper really adds something to the drawing.

This was a hard one to pick....I liked the reference photo, but way too many lines and angle to get just right!!!

I really like what you have done...and Ivy's right, this is a knockout from a bit of a distance!

K:)

DanaT
02-02-2002, 10:58 AM
Thanks all for your lovely comments and encouragement.

Debs, thanks for the suggestion on the paper. I'm trying the other side of the same paper I used here for another project this weekend. We'll see how it goes.

Ariadne, thanks for the comments. You picked up on my favorite part of the original photo-the awnings. The way they stood out against the red brick was the whole reason I wanted to do this one but I'd forgotten about it. It's amazing that a viewer can pick up on the motivation behind a picture even if the artist forgot.

Ivy, you are so right. When I work at my drawing table I tend to step back and look at my work from a distance. That's why I was so shocked when I first saw it on the computer! It was too close.

Kate, thanks for the encouragement. I too was wondering if I could get all the lines and relationships right. I decided to concentrate on just what I really liked about the picture (the red brick against the awnings) and let the other things fall in place. What also helped was the preliminary sketch with a Sharpie pen I did beforehand. (see below)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2002/StreetSceneSketch2.jpg

My teacher made us do these before every long drawing. We cursed at her at first but I do them all the time now.

Can't wait to see what everybody does next week!

sundiver
02-02-2002, 11:32 AM
If you don't like the quilty look of the paper (which, may I say, doesn't detract from this picture at all) you could do a thin undercoat in different colors and rub it in to the paper. The texture will still be there but it won't be all the same color because different parts will have different underpaintings.
Nice drawing, and the Sharpie thing is a good idea which I will now try to use as well. Thanks.

DanaT
02-02-2002, 12:00 PM
thanks for the tip, sundiver. I'll try it. I'm assuming you mean pastels and not a wet wash?

alyona100
02-02-2002, 12:08 PM
I join in and agree - the texture adds a lot and it does look great and much more interesting than the original ref pic!!!

digistyle
02-02-2002, 02:29 PM
I love the "solidness" in this piece. I think that the tooth works well in this piece, especially if viewed from a normal viewing distance.

digistyle

RuthT
02-03-2002, 05:31 PM
Oh - this is lovely DanaT.

I think the texture of the paper gives a great atmospheric effect.

Surfinia
02-03-2002, 05:47 PM
The texture works for me. And, it looks super viewed from a few feet away so that one can see the shapes better. I really like this one.