PDA

View Full Version : For better or for worse...

JCoop
12-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Hey all! Hope everyone is having a blessed holiday season.:)

This is the last of my Christmas Commissions. Didn't make the deadline with this one, but I warned my clients that it would be iffy.:eek: I could have finished by Christmas, but I'm sure that I would have cheated the client out of my best effort.

He was actually wearing glasses... but right before I started painting them something told me to contact him and give him a choice. He chose to go without the glasses and was very greatful for the choice... he told me that he was kicking himself for forgetting to remove them at the time of his wedding pictures.

In my experience, making the bride look beautiful is the key to a successful wedding portrai.t:cat: ... If you can do a half way decent job on the groom, that's really icing on the cake.:)

I haven't signed this one yet, because I'm not totally convinced that I am finished.

Meet Andy & Kim...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2005/30872-andy_kim_norm.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2005/30872-kim_clse.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2005/30872-andy_clse.jpg

Digital _Painter 9

poolekv
12-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Very nice painting, great skin tones on the bride and groom.
Kevin

LadyAlba
12-28-2005, 04:29 PM
What a beautiful portrait something they will treasure! ;o)
The only thing that jumps out at me is the blue shadow of her glove it seems too strong as compared to the shadows on the rest of her clothing. ;o)

barryt
12-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Lovely Joel. the thing that jumps out at me is the reflection spots in the eyes, which seem a tad bright in the first pic. They look ok in the close ups so it just may be the effect of scale.
I'm not sure the fading at the bottom is right for this, it may be better to take them right down because it isn't a sketchy pic?

JCoop
12-28-2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks Kevin, Marge and Barry. Marge, interesting catch... it jumps out at me only now that you've mentioned it. I'll "tone" it down. Barry, when I sized the painting down, I noticed the bright glints in the eyes too. I think it's just an abberation of being sized down so extreme.

I faded the bottom to ease the transition to the end of the canvas. Both of their hands were cut off at the wrist and at the time I was trying to finish this before xmas so I faded them out. I may now go back and paint them in. I think it will be good practice. Thanks for the good "eye".

Skinny
12-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Bravo! What a good-looking couple! I like the glints in the eyes.

justjean
12-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Beautiful :wave:

Elvira
12-28-2005, 10:42 PM
This is lovely Joel, but I find the bright yellow background too forward, but that is likely just a matter of taste.
Edie

PSPertje
12-29-2005, 01:12 AM
Beautiful it expresses the joy people experience on a wedding day beautfully!

digistyle
12-29-2005, 01:14 AM
Coop,

Nice job on handling the whites. Can we see a detail of the pattern on the dress? It looks interesting.

digistyle

Chiers
12-29-2005, 02:02 AM
Terrific Joel! I noticed the eye highlights in the smaller pic too. Probably fine in the origional size but I think I would tone down the highlight on the grooms eyelid right above the eye highlight. The one on our right. Is the groom kind of chubby around the middle? He doesn't look by his face as though he should be but the suit shadowing makes him look that way.
Skin tones are terrific! Blue of eyes might be a tad too blue.

JCoop
12-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Can we see a detail of the pattern on the dress? It looks interesting. digistyle
Not so interesting close up... huh?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2005/30872-dress_clse.jpg

This is lovely Joel, but I find the bright yellow background too forward, but that is likely just a matter of taste. Edie
Edie, I'll take a critical look at the yellow. Thanks for the construction.

Is the groom kind of chubby around the middle? He doesn't look by his face as though he should be but the suit shadowing makes him look that way.
Sherry, I'll have another look at those areas you've mentioned, but the chubby thing is bothering me now that you mention it. I'll definitely have to do something about that. I wish I could post the ref, but I don't yet have permission... I need to find out who the photographer is.

Also the deep blue in the eyes is purposeful. I really wanted them to project from the proper viewing distance.

Thank you all!!!

omniartz
12-29-2005, 04:00 PM
Personally I think you've done a wonderful job. This is an image to be proud of, great detail and beauty, not to mention the style. I hope they like it!

jhercilia
12-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Joel, check her left lower eyelid: there is a darker area (on our left corner of the lower eyelid) that, on a woman, might look like if her eyeliner has smear a little.

As I mentioned in Portraiture: this is an awesome painting.

JCoop
12-29-2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks Kirk! Janet, I see it... will correct. Thanks a billion!:)

TxAggieDarlin
12-30-2005, 09:56 AM
Another great one!!

digistyle
01-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Not so interesting close up... huh?

Actually, it is. Implication of detail often works better than actual detail. Shows the rest of us how to work smarter!

digistyle

leofaerie17
01-01-2006, 05:50 PM
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Its all been said but WOW arnt they a beautiful couple, her dress is devine:clap: :clap: