PDA

View Full Version : FND Feb 1 2002

Ivyleaf
02-01-2002, 10:10 PM
How to FND: First, review photos presented. *Sigh* cause buildings aren't your strong poiint. LOL Look carefully for 10 minutes, suddenly you get this insane idea to unpack your art supplies that you've already packed for your trip to NZ, and even more insane, then to do your first real attempt on black paper.

Colored pencils on black paper, 5 x 7.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2002/fndbasementivy.jpg

:)
Ivy

P.S. Then be thinking of your trip to NZ so much you forget to attach the image!!! LOL

Yielding
02-01-2002, 10:17 PM
Hi Ivyleaf

That black paper is very cool. I like the red -ish background you made.

Yielding

sundiver
02-01-2002, 10:24 PM
I like it, too. Is that "good" black paper? I can't find anything but construction paper.

Lulu
02-01-2002, 10:32 PM
(((((Ivy))))):) You just go on dreaming about your trip to NZ cus you're nearly here gf:)

I like the way you've taken a tiny part of the ref pic too and I like the light on the hand rail and upright (can't think what it's called lol - I'm too busy dreaming about you COMING to NZ!!!)

Bendaini
02-01-2002, 10:33 PM
buildings may not be your strong point but this came out lovly anyway.

I like all the colors, and the loose feeling of it. Quite nice.
Glad you were able to find your art suplies :)
Sorry you will now have to repack them :p
Have fun on your trip :clap:

Wingnut
02-01-2002, 10:40 PM
I wanna go to NZ too! :crying:

(this isn't fair, the only place I ever get to go is Nebraska :mad: )

:mad: (again)

they need a smiley for pouting

Ivyleaf
02-01-2002, 10:43 PM
Thanks Yielding, my attempt at a brickish look...lol

sundiver, yes, it's black cardstock, very nice to work on!

Thanks Lulu, that was my favorite part of the finished piece! And never once did I use the white pencil, mostly cause I couldn't find it...LOL...so I had to improvise.

Bendaini, thanks, yes they are all repacked now and ready to go! LOL

LOL wingnut!

Ivy

dupliKate
02-01-2002, 11:37 PM
Love the red.....oooooooo....makes it so mysterious!

This was a hard one to do, I'm sure! Great work!

K:)

AriadneArts
02-01-2002, 11:42 PM
Well done! Black paper is such a good idea for this one. Think I'll try another on darker paper. Way to go!:D

artlover
02-02-2002, 12:50 AM
I looked at this pic a long time trying to figure out how I would do it if I picked it-couldn't figure it out-didn't pick it...but I like what you did w/it-just picked a small part...I like the black background too...and how did you get the 'white pencil effect' w/ no white pencil???

Have fun in NZ-nope, Wingnut, don't have to go to Nebraska-always end up in Michigan instead

:mad:

Ivyleaf
02-02-2002, 09:42 AM
dupliKate, thanks I think I like the red additions to it too, didn't turn out half bad! LOL

Adriane, I almost couldn't find my black paper, so I was half tempted to do get out my watercolors and do the background in a blackish color first, then go over it with the CP's. At the moment I was to give up though I found the black paper...LOL.

artlover, when you have as many colored pencils as I do, choosing alternatives to white are easy. There's cream, ivory, yellows, sky blue and several shades of gray that when added to the black paper they just absolutely "pop" and can read as "white". In the CP forum, I did swatches of all the prismacolors on black paper, here's a link to that:Prismacolor Reference (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16398v) Hope this helps explain the lack of "white" :)

:) thanks ya'll ! :)
Ivy

RuthT
02-02-2002, 09:51 AM
Loved your description of your thought processes Ivy. :)

A very effective and atmospheric work - well worth the unpacking.

Hope you have a marvellous trip.

Ivyleaf
02-02-2002, 10:25 AM
Thank you Ruth, and I'm sure the trip will be wonderful!

Ivy

Gisela
02-02-2002, 05:25 PM
Nice, dark mood...like the one I was in last night...LOL
I think this might have been in the dungeon of that castle. ;)
Very good job on that black paper.

Have a wonderful trip! :clap:

Gisela

Ivyleaf
02-02-2002, 05:27 PM
Thanks Gisela, yes perhaps it was! LOL And thank you, I plan on having the time of my life :)

:D :D :D
Ivy

Debs
02-02-2002, 06:37 PM
I like this on black paper...very nice effect
I have some black pastel paper and I can't think of what to do on it..this is great thought and it's moody looking..very good...have fun on your trip too.:)

Ivyleaf
02-03-2002, 09:00 AM
Thank you Deb :) . For me, it helped to think of it in a negative sort of way when I was drawing it. "Hmmmmm, this highlight goes here, this one goes here..." That sort of thing, instead of concentrating on making "dark shadows" like I do on white, to get the highlights to pop, on the black paper I worried about the opposite.

Don't know if that's right, but I think it worked!

:) :) :)
Ivy