PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Pastel paper to easel

deathsdayoff
12-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Hey, I've been searching this question for the last hour or so and haven't found my answer. I have seen photos when people attached their pastel paper with some kind of green tape, do you know the name of it/where i can buy it? How do you attached your pastel paper to your easel without it ripping/tearing when your all finished and want to detach it from the easel? Thanks! joe

Kathryn Wilson
12-28-2005, 11:02 AM
Not sure about the green tape, but I use draftman's tape - it doesn't tear the paper. Sorta looks like masking tape, but is removable. It comes in different widths too. I've been buying mine at Jerry's and believe it is put out by Scotch.

Paula Ford
12-28-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi Joe! Welcome to the Pastel Forum!

The green (and blue) tape you see is probably painters tape. You can get it in any hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart... It is low tack and can be easily removed.

As far as taping it to an easel, I wouldn't. Get some foamboard (you can get it at Michael's for about 99 cents per sheet on sale) and tape your paper to it.

Hope that helps.

Again WELCOME!!

Paula

Shari
12-28-2005, 12:07 PM
I mount all my surfaces to 100% rag board and then attach that to my easel with big bulldog clips.

Deborah Secor
12-28-2005, 03:45 PM
I use plain old 1/2" masking tape, taking about a 1/8- to 1/4-inch bite all along the edge of the paper. I recommend that you not leave any paper taped down for many weeks, however, which makes it hard to remove. I tape the paper directly to a smooth drawing board--masonite or smooth plywood. I don't care for the green or blue tape because it puts a big green or blue 'mat' of sorts around my painting, which affects my color perceptions. I like vanilla. :)

Deborah

KJSCL
12-28-2005, 06:15 PM
I use masking tape as well. What I use is a piece of corrugated plastic that I've cut to size and make a 1" border around it. I then tape both my reference picture and my paper to the plastic and set that up on my easel. The pastel dust falls onto the border, making it very easy to take outside to shake the dust off.