PDA

View Full Version : Humboldt Penguin

poolekv
12-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi everyone, this is what i have been working on for the last week. Chalk digital painting of a Humboldt Penguin. This has taken about twenty hours, nine hours alone for the pebbles.
Hope you like it Kevin

LadyAlba
12-28-2005, 10:08 AM
This is absolutely picture perfect!! Beautiful work! ;o)

poolekv
12-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Thank you ladyalba, i started of with wanting to do a very loose painting but, i just cant seem to do that, and keep adding more detail.
Kevin

justjean
12-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Beautiful bird and the pepples are wonderful :clap: :clap:

LadyAlba
12-28-2005, 11:23 AM
I know what you mean about detailing LOL I find it hard to stop especially if I like what I am painting alot. One suggestion now that you have the close ups here......;o) His eye needs some life I would put a little catch light there especially since the light would be bouncing off his eye. ;o)

poolekv
12-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Yes i agree i find it very difficult to stop , this one started out as a quick one-two hour painting. I noticed the eye after i had posted the close up and you are right it dos need a highlight, you cant see it in this close up but there are some orange colours in his eye as well. strange that i missed it because thats where i normally start the painting.
Kevin

LadyAlba
12-28-2005, 11:45 AM
:cat:

Skinny
12-28-2005, 12:07 PM
What a cutie, Kevin! Excellent job on those pebbles, too.

Chiers
12-28-2005, 02:52 PM
This is terrific! What a fabulous lil critter and you have done well with it. I have noticed that many animals IRL don't seem to have that glint in there eye the same as humans do. Don't know about penguins.

barryt
12-28-2005, 02:56 PM
We all make that mistake Kevin! I am so keen to post after I've done something that I don't give it the check I normally do. Usually I leave a thing around for days, so that I can keep looking.
Lovely work. My critique would be that since you say you used chalk, some indication of a paper would probably look good. If you have Painter a faded paper would add that chalky look.

poolekv
12-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Skinny. Thank you although ive got to say i was really pleased when i finished them, i could not belive how long it took just to do them.

Cheirs. Thanks for the nice comments iam not sure if they do either but will put one in just to add more life to the picture

Barry. thanks again i did try the surface texture but did not find a texture i liked will have to play with some of the options untill i find something that works. still learning painter at the moment, have only had it about six weeks.
Kevin

barryt
12-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Try the italian watecolor paper, take the shine to zero and the reflection, amount to about 40% After you have added it, you can fade it in steps, using 'fade' under 'edit'. keep fading so that just a little is left. You can always, decide to undo and have another go, or keep saving versions and having a look at all of them.

We don't get many penguins up here in Staffordshire :)

digistyle
12-29-2005, 01:33 AM
A most excellent painting! I really like how you've used the lighting, it really make the penguin pop, drawing my eye right to him.

digistyle

digistyle
12-29-2005, 01:33 AM
A most excellent painting! I really like how you've used the lighting, it really make the penguin pop, drawing my eye right to him.

digistyle

PushingPixels
12-29-2005, 01:57 AM
Now that's a Penquin. What size and resolution is he. Your values are excelent. Something I am still striving to get down. Remings me of an oil painting the way it blends.

Did you do this in Painter?

poolekv
12-29-2005, 04:43 AM
Barryt. Thanks for the advice will have to give that a go later on, we don't get many in gloucestershire either.

Digistyle. thanks for the comments about the lighting what i did with this one was draw an arrow on the canvas to show the direction and then tried to put the shadows on the oposite side of everything in the picture.

Pushingpixels. its not a very big painting its 10" x 14" at 300dpi just over a4 then to print it, i reduce to 65% to give me a white border on the a4.
to get that effect, i paint on the canvas with chalk say three different colours then use the blending tools to mix them on the canvas. if i need to lighten the colours i drag some white in from the canvas, and to darken i use a black chalk and again mix with the blenders
Iam using Painter IX
Kevin

Skinny
12-29-2005, 07:05 AM
Barry...Another way to add surface texture (that I find easier) is to create a layer at the very bottom (just abover the canvas). Fill this layer, add your texture and play with its transparency. Where your painting covers the entire area, you would probably need to move the layer up.

If you didn't use layers, but painted directly onto the canvas, you can select all, copy the canvas and paste in place on a new layer.

One advantage of doing it this way is that you can use the eraser to remove areas of teture that you find distracting.

Yako
12-29-2005, 07:05 AM
Wow! it's perfect! The colors are incredible and the pose is very natural!:clap: :clap: :clap:

PSPertje
12-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Impressive details, impressive chalk work, just WOW!

capricorne
12-29-2005, 11:36 AM
Good job rainstreet!
Jan

omniartz
12-29-2005, 03:42 PM
that's some amazing work! It's a lovely piece. You have just the right amount of detail. What is the size you worked with? Great detail.

jhercilia
12-29-2005, 11:13 PM
I can tell you have spent considerable time with the pebbles. They are great and look wet.

poolekv
12-30-2005, 04:43 AM
Yako,PSPertje,Capricorne,omniartz,jhercillia Thank you all for the great comments Iam very pleased that everyone likes it
Capricorne the size i painted this at is 10"x14" then i reduce 65% to print to leave me a border on an A4 sheet, as iam limited by the size of my printer at the moment.
Kevin

TxAggieDarlin
12-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Wonderful...great depth...ya done good :)