PDA

View Full Version : Serendipity

barryt
12-27-2005, 08:07 AM
I think that's what this is?!
I took a book out of the library to read over Christmas. (Can't be on WC ALL the time) It was called 'The Apothecary's House' and since I'm a pharmacist the title had some attraction.
The story was set in Amsterdam (That's in Holland for you US of A people).

It told the story of a pharmacist in 1760 who painted in his spare time. Noticing that silver salts went dark on exposure to light, he set up a Vermeer type dark room with a lens in the wall looking out on to another room.
He set up a scene in that room and gave it a 40 min exposure and found that he had a negative of the image on his silvered copper plate.
But guess what?
He painted a positive over the negative scene, in oils.
Now. What I want to know is: was this the first photo manip. :)

LadyAlba
12-27-2005, 08:20 AM
ROFL Sounds like it to me, Barry! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Dec-2005/29951-jump.gif

Bytemebabs
12-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Geesh! I honestly don't @#$!# know! But thank you for the education and the "desire" to find out!

You always make me smile :D

leofaerie17
12-30-2005, 06:08 PM
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Barry HI what would we have done without all of these old pioneers,interesting story :clap:

barryt
12-31-2005, 05:41 AM
Thanks for reading, Marge Babs and Bev.
I didn't mean to end with that punch line when I started, since it's a novel, and i'm doubtful it's based on real fact. It just made me smile reading it at just the time we were having a big discussion her about photo manips.

I just thought about serendipity.
It might be true of course.

Jin
12-31-2005, 06:50 AM
Barry!

Here it is, 2:21 in the morning and you've got me so excited about the history of photography, that I'll be up all night! (NOT!)

It was surprising to me that a Google search using the words "history of photography" got me straight to what I wanted, not a long list of links related to history ... or.... photography that I'd have to wade through.

You might find these links interesting and entertaining. The first is a timeline of photography beginning with the first use of camera obscura in ancient times. The next entry is 16th century, and the most recent, 1997.

History of Photography Timeline, by Philip Greenspun (http://www.photo.net/history/timeline)

The second is a history of photography from its beginnings until the 1920's. If you click the link on the lift side of the page, "How Photography Began", you'll be treated to some very interesting history. Among other items related to your novel and related to our recent discussions on photo manipulation vs. painting, etc. I think you'll be amused to read a rather "unfriendly" quote from a newspaper report in the Leipzig City Advertiser sometime after Daguerre made his photographic process, Daguerrotype, public in 1839.

A History of Photography from its beginnings till the 1920s, by Dr. Robert Leggat MA M.Ed Ph.D. FRPS FRSA (http://www.rleggat.com/photohistory/index.html)

There are more links but this should be enough for this morning and I do hope you'll enjoy reading them.

Happy New Year, 2006!

barryt
12-31-2005, 07:55 AM
Thanks Jinny and a Happy New Year to you

justjean
12-31-2005, 08:04 AM
LOL well Barry I guess it depends on whos opinion it is :D
Now. What I want to know is: was this the first photo manip. :)

maria_khurram
12-31-2005, 10:54 AM
Rotfl.

barryt
12-31-2005, 01:56 PM
Jean and Maria, thanks for looking, and a Happy New Year to you both.
(One day someone will have to explain to this three score years and ten and a bit person, what all these acronyms mean! :) )

justjean
12-31-2005, 05:04 PM
Barry, LOL = Laughing Out Loud and
ROTFL= Rolling On The Floor Laughing (lots of times seen without the T)

Happy New Year :wave:

Jean

barryt
12-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Thanks Jean :)
HNY to you

Skinny
12-31-2005, 08:20 PM
Happy New Year, Barry! Jin, I am NOT going to spend New Year's Eve studying the history of photography...ROFL, but thanks for those links. Maybe tomorrow........

justjean
12-31-2005, 08:22 PM
Barry here's a link to some of what they mean :)

http://www.computeruser.com/resources/dictionary/emoticons.html

Jin
01-01-2006, 06:18 AM
Skinny,

I don't blame you for not wanting to spend New Year's Eve reading about the history of photography! :)