PDA

View Full Version : oygen source for mini cc

swhitman19
12-26-2005, 09:30 AM
This is my first post, but I've been reading a lot of previous posts. What a great wealth of information. I'm new to lampworking (3 months), but I do love it. I have a mini cc and I'm tired of transporting oygen tanks. Quite frankly the tanks scare me and I'm using 2 to 3 tanks a week. That's hard to believe since I'm a full-time IT Director. I need a recommendation for a concentrator or generator that will work with my torch. I really don't have the room for 2 concentrators. I'm working with Moretti glass. I suppose I need a kiln also, but I have yet to have a single bead crack, so my next purchase will be the oxygen source--and then a kiln. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

~JON
12-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Welcome swhitman19! Glad you are here. You have posted these thoughts/questions in the Glass forum, too? They would have lots of thoughts; I am sure.
Jon

Axl
12-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Hi and welcome to the site!

You'll get better responce if you post this in the Glass Forum where most of the most knowledgable glass members are active. So please feel free to go ahead and re-post this in their forum, they will be happy to help you out :)

Ofcorse, if you have any other questions in regards to how the site works, and finding your way around, just let us know and we will see what we can do. :)

Rose Queen
12-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Welcome to WetCanvas! :wave: Jon is right that you should post your question about concentrators and generators in the Glass forums. If you need any help navigating the site, please let us know -- it's what we're here for!

Alan Cross
12-26-2005, 01:03 PM
Hi and welcome ......you won't have to many breaks as beads are so small...but if you are selling any you really should kiln them....I do at least an hour at 960 for Moretti....You don't have to worry about oxy that much its pretty safe....make sure you propane is keep outside with the hose running into the house....you shouldn't have any problems.....all oxy does is make a fire burn faster check your hoses for leaks with soapy water....good luck and for sure check out our great glass forum
Alan :)

MonicaB
12-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Welcome! :wave:

Paula D
12-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Tanks shouldn't scare you.
My Mini CC runs better on tanks than on my Generator.
I don't even bother to turn on my generator anymore.
:o)
Paula

rosebead
12-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Hi and welcome to the glass forums.
Here is a link to a thread on our Carlisle forum about oxy requirements
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290281

grandbeads
12-26-2005, 10:32 PM
I'm with you on not having tanks-of any kind- in my studio.I use an og 15 with my minor.I know there are more powerful units out there.Glasscraft has some upgrades and if you are sure you want to go tankless I know there's a system for you.Just keep looking...Roger.

swhitman19
12-27-2005, 07:37 AM
Thanks everyone. So I posted in the wrong place. Ugh! I need to get my bearings around the website. There's an unbelievable amount of information available and everyone is so patient with newbies.

TheRealCosmo
12-27-2005, 09:22 AM
Oxygen tanks are the best source of oxygen. But there are many people running CC's and Minors on concentrators with no problem. You just won't be able to get as big or hot of a flame. For working soft glass, however, you should be fine. We teach classes on Minors running off concentrators and the students have no problem making beads up to 2" in diameter.

Cheng076
12-27-2005, 12:23 PM
A good sourcee of concentrator info is Paulette at Suncoast if I recall correctly. I have 2 of her reconditioned medical units and they are great for use on soft glass and will power my barracuda just fine. I know she has a larger capacity unit but have heard a rumor she no longer does the used medical units.???
She may chime in here so check back. I just wish there was a unit that would support a Mirage at full bore that didn't cost more than my house.
PJH

Rebekah81
12-27-2005, 12:47 PM
I've just got my set-up going at home (3 sessions so far) with a Mini CC, NG and the P-10 from Generations Glass. During the fall, I had 16 three-hour-classes on a Minor with tanked oxygen and propane. I was worried about there being less heat but I can't see any difference -- maybe it's just the torch. I'm thrilled with the Mini CC :clap: and happy that I picked it over the Minor.

As for the P-10 (which I found out is the same thing as an M-10 both from Unlimited Oxygen): Overheating knobs was one of the few downsides that my research turned up about the Mini CC and one oxycon. The overheating was attributed to not enough oxygen. My experience (not much so far:rolleyes: ) one time, the torch knobs got a bit warm but nothing unreasonable and the other two times -- there was no temperature change.

Other concerns that my research turned up but will require time to see if they are worries:

The P-10/M-10 is advertised to concentrate 8-9LPM at 10-12 PSI. In some posts, there was concern expressed that there was a possibility that this would be overworking the sieve beds and shorten the lifespan of the concentrator. Dealers of the P-10/M-10 say that since this unit has been extensively reworked that it should be good for a very long time (I think the exact figure was 15,000 hours but I can't find that post at the moment).

The P-10/M-10 from Generations Glass only comes with the 6-month manufacturer's warranty. I did see posts that seemed to indicate that other places were offering an extended warranty -- maybe ABR Imagery:confused: And there was a recommendation to invest in the longer warranty. It wasn't an option for me so I didn't.

My last concern applies to all oxygen concentrators: I live in a very high humidity location and I'm working in my garage. It seems that high humidity can be damaging to the sieve beds.

Kristian Turley of Generations Glass was great to deal with. He responded very quickly to my initial emails and my concerns after the concentrator arrived and, if you act quickly, it may still be on the December sales items:D

Try searching "oxycon" and "concentrator" -- there's lots of great information in this forum. The other thing that it took me a while to find is the sponsors of the forum -- Carlisle has it's own section which helped me enormously in figuring out what the Mini CC needs to be happy.

Good luck with your research. I'm been extremely impressed with the amount of information that is available through Wet Canvas.

swhitman19
12-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all the information. It means alot to get some unbiased data from real users. WetCanvas members are great!! Kudos to all the responded.

paulette
12-27-2005, 02:53 PM
If you don't have room for two concentrators, if you're not going to use tanks, then I'd suggest an Integra 10. This unit runs the mini cc very well...and supplies enough O2 to keep it cool!

Paulette