PDA

View Full Version : A W A K E

primitivehuman
12-24-2005, 01:33 PM
This is my first time posting here. :)

I create all of my art digitally before painting it. It cuts down on the amount of paper consumed for sketches. This is an idea I'm probably going to paint on a 12"x12" canvas for an OVAC fundraiser next year. I was hoping someone could give me a little feedback. It is hard to be objective of your own work. ;)

http://www.primitivehuman.com/wip/awake05.jpg

waheednasir
12-24-2005, 02:00 PM
hi there..welcome to the forum primitivehuman...interesting work. i like it...:). i think u have played with the light in a realistic manner, as i see its effect on the skull's outer edge and the water/waves its nicely done. if thats rite, then get rid of the that light effect on the ear. the ear wont get that much light as its not facing it. but im not sure about your approach. so that might be ok according to your idea...:). other than that, its an interesting piece and well handled.

all the best with your canvas painting...:wave:.

Sheldon
12-24-2005, 03:20 PM
Interesting. Don't know what OVAC is so can't comment on context. I would suggest that you paint it larger that 12" x 12," I'd make the head about life size, whatever that works out to be, but no larger than life size.

To me it looks vary deliberate, like you know what you want to express. Composition, color, everything look to support your expression, whatever it may be, I can only guess. The interplay between the head, dragonfly and moon is interesting. The placement and size of the moon has a subtile but significant effect on the interaction and attention placed on the head and dragonfly, I think, so you could possibly play around with that.

It's great!

barryt
12-24-2005, 03:26 PM
A great style, well composed. It deserves more than 12 x 12

primitivehuman
12-24-2005, 09:18 PM
thx all.....I really appreciate your comments. I will have to darken the ear a little bit. The lighting is a bit off there like waheednasir pointed out. :wave:

OVAC stands for Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition. Every year they have a fundraiser and they only accept 12"x12" paintings. I might have to make something larger later on. I don't really care for making paintings this small but I need to start somewhere when it comes to exhibitions. It has been almost 3 years since I've participated in a show.

It is a conceptual piece. :) I usually base my work on ideas. I sometimes like to include poetry with the art. This piece is about how we as humans are on "auto-pilot" most of our lives and, from time to time, we come alive and notice the beauty around us. This is the basic idea, but there is a bit more that it better left unsaid. The blood coming from the eye is inspired from that scene in Dune(1984) where the main character, paul atreides, drinks the water of life.

Skinny
12-25-2005, 08:28 AM
REALLY good! I like the way you've balanced the inner and outer human.

omniartz
12-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Dramatic mood. The eye seems not to be seeing the dragonfly, but if that is what you wanted . . .

Nicely executed!

Kirk

primitivehuman
12-25-2005, 06:59 PM
Here is the latest version. I got nothing better to do than work on art during xmas. :D

http://www.primitivehuman.com/wip/awake07.jpg

to do list:
make the dragonfly look like it's hovering / wings moving
tweak lighting on the face.
add more color to the muscle tissue.
fix water reflections/lighting.
play around with moon & dragonfly placement

omniartz
12-25-2005, 09:27 PM
eerie cool - the eye and the dragonfly are now facing each other!

maria_khurram
12-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Superb job. I like the atmosphere you have created here. Nicely done.

dcolb121
12-25-2005, 10:18 PM
Now...that...is...strange...

But I like it...

:wink2:

Don

Yako
12-26-2005, 07:27 PM
I found it strange but like it, it has something poetic and subtle :cool: :clap:

Skinny
12-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Matthew, I can't wait to see how you tackle your "to do" list....

digistyle
12-26-2005, 08:47 PM
I like this a LOT!! Great elements, great composition. One techie nit, as the tear travels down over the muscle, seems like the trail should be rounded, following the shape of the muscle.

digistyle

justjean
12-26-2005, 09:27 PM
this is awesome, makes one think :clap:

LadyAlba
12-27-2005, 08:28 AM
Nice clean lines and the lighting is perfect! I like it! ;o)

Bytemebabs
12-30-2005, 04:02 PM
YOU ARE JUST AWESOME! And your adjustment with the light on ear (Waheeds advise) Just makes it! WOW what a talent you have! WOW.

leofaerie17
12-30-2005, 06:04 PM
:wave: :wave: :wave:

PH this is just brilliant :clap: :clap: :clap:

primitivehuman
01-04-2006, 01:50 PM
http://www.primitivehuman.com/wip/awake09.jpg
I decided to go a slightly different direction. I feel a little better about it now. I may bring back the fog, but the butterfly coming out of its pupa stage is more effective than the dragonfly.

jhercilia
01-04-2006, 03:00 PM
I don't know but I actually liked the dragofly and the way it was looking at the guy.

primitivehuman
01-04-2006, 04:41 PM
It was a tough decision because I like the dragonfly quite a bit, but I felt that the butterfly helps to better reinforce the original theme. Maybe if I make it larger or reposition it in some way..... I'm still not sure about it.

TxAggieDarlin
01-05-2006, 01:26 PM
see below

TxAggieDarlin
01-05-2006, 01:26 PM
I am trying to figure out how to word this..........It is awesome and I like it, I think...lol......the subject matter is not my taste. HOWEVER, if it was, I would love this...does that make sense? You did an outstanding job on something that is scary!

TxAggieDarlin
01-05-2006, 01:27 PM
...................I loved the dragonfly.............

primitivehuman
01-06-2006, 03:01 AM
That was probably the best compliment I've gotten in a long time, TxAggieDarlin. :D

I'm putting much thought into everyone's advice. This is a great place to find some good honest feedback. :wave: