PDA

View Full Version : A Special Moment...

LarrySeiler
12-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Considering what Duane Keiser did with the Hopper Painting photo and a mug of coffee...got the idea I could do something fun, little gift items...commissionable even!

Here I taped a poloraid of me and my son, 13 years ago when he caught this very nice bass. Got himself on TV Outdoor 13 with this baby! The lure is the actual lure he caught the bass on...

Not finished, but I even like the somewhat unfinished stage thus far. Perhaps that's saying something about my past hyper realism days. Blame it on aging maybe?? hee heee...

Consider this a WIP I suppose on what is suppose to be an incidental...

my reference...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2005/532-trophybassrefwc.jpg

decided on a 9"x 12" panel with Marc's pumice ground...then underpainted a red/orange tone first...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2005/532-trophybass4wc.jpg

and...here's where its at...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2005/532-trophybass2wc.jpg

about 40 minutes of time into this first block with high school students...really surprised after that toning how quickly this one fell together.

looking forward to gettin at it more..

Larry

JamieWG
12-23-2005, 12:42 PM
OH, Larry! It's coming along wonderfully! Your wife is never gonna let go of this one! heeheehee (Do I see a Christmas present?) :D

Elin Pendleton was also doing some interesting things with photos on her blog. Got me thinking to pull out some of those old black and white family pics...

So much to paint, so little time.....But I am really liking these PADs/Incidentals that go just a little further than the single object. It's amazing how just two or three items can tell a real story and make it much more interesting, like this one you're doing now.

How are you feeling? Any better?

Jamie

LarrySeiler
12-23-2005, 01:19 PM
How are you feeling? Any better?

Jamie

yeppers...presents these will be...
think I'll do my other son's first buck...the antlers with photo taped up.

I'm not 100%, but at school just the same. Only half day for students and wanted to make sure they were squared away before break.

thanks for commenting Jamie...hopefully I find a moment to get at it yet today

Larry

midcoast
12-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Larry -

What a wonderful idea! I like it so far...especially the loose quality of the background with the orange underpainting peeking through. I can't wait to see this one finished :)

Nancy

Bobbo
12-23-2005, 03:11 PM
nice one Larry
this is special
love the impressions on the piece of tape!

James or Jimmy Jim
12-23-2005, 04:26 PM
Nice work Larry.

You haven't copied a photo for a long time!. :D :D

LarrySeiler
12-23-2005, 05:33 PM
thanks Nancy, Bob...much appreciated!!!!

...and Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy...hahahaha...leave it to you! Don't miss a thing!

Okay...I've been caught red handed, painting from photos!!!! :rolleyes: :D

Here it is as I come time to leave...might touch up a bit here and there, but its vacation time. Hopefully now I get out and paint inbetween family visits. Might even set up at the Packers/Bear tailgate Sunday..we'll see.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2005/532-trophybass_done1wc.jpg

and a closeup

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2005/532-trophybass_closeupwc.jpg

JanB
12-23-2005, 07:45 PM
This is simply wonderful!!! Hope you have a blessed Christmas!!

RI painter
12-23-2005, 09:26 PM
awesome Larry..great painting and concept
jon

LarrySeiler
12-23-2005, 09:45 PM
thanks Jan..Jon...

my son, Jason checked this out...and is excited wanting me to do something for him. Excited too I believe, because he is about to start an oil painting chapter of his life at the Chicago American Art Academy...

these are fun...and I could see doing more.

I have a brother in law that fishes and hunts quite a bit, we often together, and I might do something for him as well. Perhaps I'll even mention being open to commission possibilities on my website. Certainly didn't take me long.

Not like those old days where I did sporting portraits...but again those long instudio hours ....

This was my son...when he was only four...and I was quite busy doing many commissioned portraits...but, it got a bit old with all the hours.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2005/532-bobber_staredown72dpi.jpg

Plein air has really helped me enjoy a painterly spontaneous look...and to be more assured and quicker.

Larry

DLGardner
12-23-2005, 11:59 PM
This is touching Larry! I love it!

Yes, your work has changed. You did good work then but, well we all improve with time don't we?

Nice thread.
Dianne

LarrySeiler
12-24-2005, 10:01 AM
This is touching Larry! I love it!

Yes, your work has changed. You did good work then but, well we all improve with time don't we?

Nice thread.
Dianne

well...one hopes so, eh Dianne?

I always read of some critiques talking about some past master artist peaking at a time in their life with their work going downhill from there. So, I hope its positive growth anyway... :)

thanks Dianne...nice hearing from you!!

Larry

Lorijo
12-24-2005, 10:09 AM
They are both super Larry, the new one has a different feel to it but I like the old one too. I hope you feel better. Lori

DLGardner
12-24-2005, 11:13 AM
I always read of some critiques talking about some past master artist peaking at a time in their life with their work going downhill from there. So, I hope its positive growth anyway...

I think those critiques are biased. I think the master artist spends his time throughout his life filling a public demand and then as he grows wiser starts doing what he wants to do instead, leaving the public a bit tiffed.

Also there may be a declining eyesight thing happening too but we won't go into that. :)

Merry Christmas!
Dianne

LarrySeiler
12-30-2005, 12:44 PM
thanks Lorijo and Dianne..

yeah...I hope its bias only Dianne...heee...hee

well, good news is, I have about three or four of these now to produce for family. I'll create some page on my artist's site offering to do some of these for interested parties and see what happens. Taking me only an hour or so, I can't see any threat of a burn out like my commissions of years past. At least for now...they're kind of fun and give me some room to experiment a bit and be creative.

Plan to work on a blog when I get home too...still down in Green Bay with family.

take care

Larry

paintchristina
12-30-2005, 01:45 PM
Very charming Larry and a great idea. I bet you have many requests once word gets out! I love the painterly feel to it.

I started my blog on Christmas and it is really fun...keeps me on my toes and moving forward with painting all the time...even just some silly thing or repainting a past subject or doodling around with ACEO's.

I haven't been in Green Bay since i was about 9 and my aunt and uncle lived there.

Carrie
01-02-2006, 02:30 PM
I'm with Bobbo, I like the painting with tape in it, kind of collage Not

Fresh, unlabored. Fun!

Carrie

LarrySeiler
01-02-2006, 08:16 PM
thanks Carrie....and Christina...
I hoped to start another today...but I brought the wrong item to school...perhaps Wednesday...

Yeah...got to get to my blog. Hopefully fairly soon....

take care

Larry