PDA

View Full Version : Wacoms

clipartbytrina
12-23-2005, 12:46 AM
The first time I ever heard of a wacom was about a year ago. An online friend of mine who does arts and crafts marketing threw the word out there in one of our conversations...and I was like, "Huh?" So, I've been curious about them ever since, but I've still never even seen one.

Do most people in digital art use them? How do they work?

I write and draw left handed (but I'm ambidextrous or right hand dominant in almost everything else). So, I draw and paint right handed with a mouse. Just wondering how different it would be with a wacom. Guess I could use the pencil in my left hand and the mouse in my right, all at the same time. :p

Any suggestions on where I can find one and what type to look for?

eliseu gouveia
12-23-2005, 12:52 AM
wacom (http://www.wacom.com) is the most famous manufacturer of tablets and Iīve been using one of theirs (a wacom volitos) for a couple years now.
Itīs very reliable, though I donīt know if theyīve addressed the left-handed artists issue.

Tablets are extremelly ergonomic and I would get rid of my mouse completelly if I didnīt need it to play videogames.

If you use computers regularly, Iīd say go for it.
To give you a general idea of how user-friendly tablets are,my 4 and 5 years old nieces would often spend whole afternoons painting in my computer with it.

Smokin
12-23-2005, 02:16 AM
though I donīt know if theyīve addressed the left-handed artists issue.

There is no left handed artist issue. You left handed, you put the pen in your left hand, if you right handed, you put the pen in your right hand.:D

Really worth getting IMO. much fast, much easier, much more natural than a mouse. I have heard of people who dont like them and prefer the mouse, but those who feel that way are definetly in the minority. We have place in out digi library that has some good links and opinions on wacoms.

Chiers
12-23-2005, 02:16 AM
There is info in our library Here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310274)

clipartbytrina
12-23-2005, 02:20 AM
Awesome, thanks for the references! Wonder if it's too late to ask Santa for one???

barryt
12-23-2005, 05:47 AM
Never too late Trina Ho! ho! Ho! :D

Hisart
12-23-2005, 01:55 PM
I would but I already have one, maybe I could ask for a bigger one? Hmmmm...

clipartbytrina
12-23-2005, 02:20 PM
Well, I think he's all finished with shopping for me....may have to save my pennies and get one a little later (right after I get the Epson Stylus printer I want LOL). Always somethin'.

omniartz
12-23-2005, 05:18 PM
I use a small one the 4x5 size, but I would like to have a 6x8. I have almost always had some type of a tablet from the old Koala Pad to an Acecat II, now I use wacom and I'm not looking back!

Hope you can get one soon! They are great!

Kirk

cunparis
12-30-2005, 10:39 AM
I just found this thread while searching, I too am interested in a tablet but I don't know what size to get. My main purpose will be for photo retouching with Photoshop. But I also paint and would like to try it for drawing. In the photography forums, people say 4x5 or 6x8 is fine. So my question is can one draw with 6x8 or is it too small? there is a big price difference between sizes so I don't want to get it any bigger than I really need. Even the 6x8 is more expensive than I want to spend.

I'm looking at the Graphire 4 6x8, around $160.

Thanks,
Michael

Smokin
12-30-2005, 11:02 AM
check this link out Mike. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310274

For photo manips, IMO, the graphire 6x8 is more than enough tablet to do what you want. For drawing and painting, you'll get varying opinions, but most will agree the graphire is at the very least an awsome starter tablet. (I've seen pros use the graphires that create jaw dropping stuff, but the majority of "pros" usually use an Intuos.)

If the graphire 6x8 is maxing out you budget, then get that, any upgrade from that will jump the price considerably. The only other two solid alternatives are the Intuous3 6x8 (prob 100 bucks more") or the Intuos3 9x12 (200-300 more).

omniartz
12-30-2005, 03:37 PM
I use a wacom 4x5 and find that I draw more with my hand and fingers than when I draw freehand on paper, where I use more of my arm and wrist. It is a little small and I'd like to try a 6x8 or 6x12 but don't have the budget for it. All in all I like the wacom product and am pretty happy with the results I get with the 4x5.

clipartbytrina
12-31-2005, 12:49 AM
Think I'm going to check out good ole eBay for one. May be able to get a decent deal there. Also, I like comparing the more expensive items on Froogle.

chestnutcat
12-31-2005, 12:57 AM
My daughter has used a Wacom for 6 years. We got it for her when she was 11 and she took to it right away and uses it to this day. We have replaced the pen (stylus?) once (she dropped it and stepped on it) and she couldn't live without it. She creates a great deal of digital fantasy art and thsi tablet its almost like an extension of her hand.

Hope it helps...
:cat:

jhercilia
12-31-2005, 01:17 AM
Chestnutcat - do you also paint?

cunparis
01-12-2006, 04:55 AM
I decided the 9x12 was too much money so I got the 6x8. I was really suprised at how "big" it seems. I had fooled around with strips of paper, but when using the tablet while LOOKING AT THE MONITOR, the tablet seems as big as the monitor (17"). I was really suprised, so far it's taking a while to get used to it.

I think the 5x7 probably would have been big enough. While I'm getting used to it I reduced the size of my work area so that my arm isn't so tired. I'll try gradually making it bigger. Right now it's smaller than 5x7. :)

Thanks for the advice. I'm really anxious to try painter with the tablet this weekend.