PDA

View Full Version : I just have a question about velour

Lorrainejoy
12-22-2005, 09:12 PM
I tried to use velour for portraits in pastels as well as landscapes but when I sprayed them with fixative the pastel powder went deep into the velour, leaving patchy marks where the velour showed through. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? Are you not sopposed to use the fixative with soft pastels? Or does the pastel powder eventually go deep into the velour? I don't like the patchy look that happens a day later. Help! I would appreciate any information about this as velour seems so nice to draw on with pastels. Thanks. :confused:

Piper Ballou
12-22-2005, 09:35 PM
Lorraine, I am just beginning to work on velour, so please take any advice I give you lightly, but I would not spray fixative on velour ever...it holds lots of layers so it is not needed.
Just be careful with using velour, now I am speaking from experience...cannot erase and do not thump the back to get rid of any dust because the pastel will fall off.
I am liking working on velour and I hope you will get some really good tips from others
piper

khourianya
12-22-2005, 10:12 PM
I echo everything Piper said. I would never ever use fixative with Velour and only ever in emergencies with other papers.

NancyPH
12-23-2005, 12:39 AM
I have used velour only once. I mostly work on suede board, but they are extremely similar. I never use fixative on any of my pastels. The velour and suede are deep enough to hold onto the pastels pretty well, and I have heard from others that the fixative does change the picture quite a bit, and not for the better.

If you get concerned about the pastels flaking off once you mat it, have a spacer put on it.

Best wishes with your velour.

Lorrainejoy
12-23-2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks, Piper, Cori and Nancy. I didn't know that. I appreciate your sharing your knowledge with me about velour and suede. I am looking forward to trying it right away. I know that I enjoyed the way the pastels went on like butter but didn't know you weren't sopposed to spray it. I also didn't know that you shouldn't spray any other pastels unless it is necessary. I did notice that the colors deepened when I sprayed them. Thank you so very much. If anyone has any more information about it I would love to hear it. thanks. Lorraine

johndill01
12-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Just to add a couple of more things about using velour. It can be erased if you take it outside, use canned air and the small tube that come with the air, carefully blow out the are you want erased. It may be necessary to use a paper mask over parts of the painting, but the majority of the pastel can be removed and then easily repainted. I also like to mount my velour ( suede paper) on foam core. Makes it much easier to handle and will allow a soft thump on the back without all the pastel dust falling off. Velour is great for animals, at least some portraits and can even work for a still life. I like the fact that there are numerous colors of velour available. Just try to use a good quality velour. It will make things much easier.

John
\

Lorrainejoy
12-24-2005, 03:22 AM
Thanks John. I am glad to know that. I will be trying the velour again because I really loved the look and feel of it. I just will be careful not to spray it with fix it. I will post one when I do it. Thanks and Merry Christmas and happy Holidays! Lorraine