PDA

View Full Version : easy job

coyote
02-01-2002, 11:56 AM
It ain't art and it ain't pretty...but they paid $850 for 3 pics of pipe fittings.:D

coyote
02-01-2002, 11:58 AM
like this

dnip24
02-02-2002, 12:00 AM
Wow! Cool picture! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Karen Mc
02-02-2002, 05:41 PM
Nice job. What did you use to make the image (I am guessing computer graphics?)? I don't know that I would say it's not 'art', I mean you have used a visual medium to render your (recognizable) interpretation of an object, which takes ability.
I am curious about how people get work doing these types of jobs. I have been using the artist and designers market book and have had a couple of 'keep in touch' replies from individuals that I created specific promotional packages for (ie: watercolour pics of massaging hands for Massage Magazine). I must say I haven't sent out many packages. Do you have some tips on approaching businesses? Do you have an illustration background or a fine art background? Do you think that makes a difference?

gjwillis
02-02-2002, 06:19 PM
I beg to differ. It's probably not your cup of tea but it is art and it's plenty pretty. Now, how does one go about getting "easy" art jobs like that? :)

coyote
02-02-2002, 06:30 PM
yes, Karen, this was done entirely in Adobe Illustrator. I'm a graphic designer/illustrator and do a lot of commercial work for print (I work full-time for a medical manufacturer). One of the printers I use had this brochure job from another client. They had given it to another illustrator but weren't happy with the results. When I saw what he had done I thought it looked very good and was worried that I couldn't do any better, but I guess the client liked mine. I had to do 3 similar pieces... each one rendered in both brass and stainless steel, so 6 illustrations total. I had 2 days to complete the job...it blew a weekend, but pretty good money for the job, I think.

Karen Mc
02-02-2002, 07:57 PM
Very interesting work I'm sure (graphic designer/illustrator). I am envious from my 9-5 office job, working on art whenever.

DanaT
02-02-2002, 08:25 PM
ok

coyote
02-02-2002, 08:33 PM
Well, it IS a 8-5 office job...but an enjoyable one. There's a certain amount of boring work, too...laying out brochures and spec sheets and desktop publishing type things. But luckily for me my boss is also a good friend who appreciates my artistic abilities, so she thinks up projects where I can actually draw pictures.

DanaT
02-02-2002, 08:33 PM
Love your pipe fittings, coy.

I can relate to your situation. My company needed some graphics to illustrate teamwork (the Powerpoint versions were SO BAD!) so I put together some simple comps and colored them in Photoshop. Voila, our new teamwork logo.

<CENTER>
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2002/ShakingHands.jpg
</CENTER>

No one could figure out how I did it and I was too embarassed to tell them. Yours at least show a lot of technical skill.

Karen Mc
02-02-2002, 09:02 PM
I did a short stint as a paste-up artist for a local newspaper so I do empathize with the repetitive aspects of 'assembling' some of these jobs. I shouldn't be complaining about my 9-5 I suppose as it almost pays my bills and I am lucky enough to be involved with a newsletter that allows me some pseudo-creative work. Still, the grass is always greener...

Keith Russell
02-04-2002, 06:53 PM
Greetings:

I've done a few technical illustrations in my time, mostly for industrial equipment catalogs. Invariably, the retailer will need a picture of a product, and the manufacturer forgot to send one. So, you spend a couple days with a drill bit or an electrical switch on your drafting table--today it would be on your computer desk.

This type of work is easiest to find if you know someone who works for the company. People contacts are real important in free-lance commercial art work.

Nice work, have done similar things in airbrush, never made $850.00, though--prices must have gone way up since I was doing this kind of thing.

Keith.

LarrySeiler
02-04-2002, 07:46 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2002/pipe_fitting.jpg

...get the right frame on it, and I think it has good possibilities!!!

:D

Larry

coyote
02-04-2002, 09:36 PM
hahahaha. Thanks Larry. I guess if you can hang it on the wall and look at it, it's art!:rolleyes:

like they say, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.