PDA

View Full Version : Siren of the Sea -digital painting

Windarr
12-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Hi, here's a piece of mine I just completed and I thought I would post it for your critique/enjoyment. It's inspired by my wife, painted entirely in Photoshop, I wanted it to be aluring and sexy with an element of fantasy.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2005/73110-siren-of-the-sea.jpg

Chiers
12-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Welcome to the WC digital forum Windarr. You have definately captured the fantasy in your painting. But what is she so mad about?

digistyle
12-22-2005, 04:44 PM
Windarr,

Welcome to WC! and the Digital Forum! I really like the way you handle your brushes. You have a lot of nice textures going. Like Sherry, I find that it has a good fantasy feel about it.

A couple of observations. The lighting is a bit confusing to me. The primary lightsource appears behind the Siren and rock, but they are lit as if the light is coming form the viewer's perspective.
The second is the way the waves are hitting the rock. To me, they appear to be coming from multiple directions.

I noticed these things because they are the types of elements that trip me up. I usually work from multiple references and its easy for me to forget to unify the image.

Once again, good concept and looking forward to seeing more of your work!

digistyle

omniartz
12-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Nice work. Colors and compostion are good. You did a nice job of sensuality without making it too erotic, good balance. Very cool!

Kirk

LadyAlba
12-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Great scene and yep..she definitely looks like it is not turning out to be a good day! LOL

Windarr
01-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Oops, I'm sorry to have taken so long to reply, I didn't have the settings setup to let me know I had replies. Thanks for you comments and observations. Perhaps I should post a closer image when I have time to show that she isn't angry, but her expression is more of a sultry/daring look.

In regards to the lighting the ambient light in the sky is lighting her from the front, though again you could see in a larger image that the primary highlights are coming from behind her, though in all honesty I should have probably bumped down the ambient lighting coming from the front on her, but I wanted her to be easily visible so perhaps I bumped up the front lighting too much.

In regards to the waves, the ocean has such a flux of current that even though the primary motion is coming towards and to the right of the viewer there is still a lapping at the rock by the current of the ocean.

Thanks again for your comments, I'm a bit busy right now, but I'll see what I can do to get up some closer detail shots.

Skinny
01-07-2006, 06:30 PM
WELCOME, Windarr! You did a particularly fine job with your lady's body...good detail there.

Windarr
01-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Thanks, glad you like.