PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas from Tuscany

barryt
12-22-2005, 02:14 PM
This is not a digital picture but I make no apology for posting it. It has been done by a friend of mine who suffers with Alzheimers, and now is past talking. He did this in the summer. He is the husband of my friend and mentor who some of you may recall I mentioned in a post because Jinny reminded me of her. He is also the reason I have so many Italian pictures, because when he was diagnosed a few years ago, a group of about a dozen of us went to Italy with him whilst he could still remember us. A fairwell holiday really.
He and his wife now live in Italy, she finds the care fantastic. he could not paint, but as a sort of therapy she began to teach him, and this is one result. I don't think he could do anything now.
I shall be seeing them after Christmas, and I thought it would be nice to say that his art was posted on WetCanvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2005/70662-Davids_Tuscany_2005.jpg

Bytemebabs
12-22-2005, 02:19 PM
What an ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL FRIEND YOU ARE! And please tell your friend and his wife I loved his painting. Even if he does not remember that, at the momment he is told, it may spark a remembrence for a few seconds to make his day for that momment.

Chiers
12-22-2005, 03:26 PM
No apology needed Barry! What a nice thing for you to do.

What a good idea for his wife to involve him in art! I would bet that it was a huge blessing for him. Engaging in art has a way of making the problems the world gives us go away for a time.
That said, the picture is terrific. I love the composition, and the vivid colors!

barryt
12-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks Babs and sherry, very much.
I forgot to mention that my friend made this into her Christmas card, which I thought was a lovely thing to do.

clipartbytrina
12-23-2005, 01:17 AM
My heart and prayers are with your friends. Alzheimer's is a cruel disease for everyone involved. :(

Wonderful art...thanks for sharing.

LadyAlba
12-23-2005, 01:07 PM
NOW THIS IS WHAT CHRISTMAS IS ALL ABOUT!!......LOVE OF MANKIND!!

Thank you for posting it Barry and the info behind it is worth its weight in gold..makes you reflect on the true meaning of Christmas. :wave:

barryt
12-23-2005, 04:56 PM
Trina and Marge, thanks for looking

barryt
12-28-2005, 08:55 AM
I'm probably very much out of order, but I'm bumping this for anyone who didn't see it.

justjean
12-28-2005, 09:11 AM
Barry your friend not only has a caring wife you are a VERY caring friend.
Thanks for allowing us to share in this wonderful and special Christmas painting :)

LadyAlba
12-28-2005, 11:30 AM
I still am drawn to this! There is something about it that just keeps you coming back to take another look! ;o)

Skinny
12-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Barry, it serves to remind us, too, of how blessed we are and that one may not take a single day for granted!

barryt
12-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Thanks, Jean Marge (again) and Kirsten

jageo
12-28-2005, 08:51 PM
Without the story, this is still a very interesting piece of art. A lot of energy. With the story it is priceless. My grandmother had Alzheimer's. Trina is right - it's tough on everybody.
Any thoughts of offering this as a print? Fundraiser?
JA

Jon
12-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Its really a colorful and pretty picture! My heart goes out to them as our family has experienced Alzheimers, too. It is a cruel and heartless disease. I remember when grandma thought we were trying to starve her because she could not remember that she had just eaten!
Barry you are a kind person to share this; thank you.
Jon

JCoop
12-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Barry, this is indeed a strikingly beautiful painting. Thank for sharing your story and this portrait. I like to think that this type of post is what sets Wetcanvas! apart. Barry, my heart goes out to you and your friends.

barryt
12-29-2005, 05:39 AM
JA Thanks for the comments. I will put the idea of a print to my friend when I see her.

Jon Thanks for looking and that story, a lot of people unfortunately have to cope with this.

Joel thanks and thanks for looking