PDA

View Full Version : Moutain Scene

clipartbytrina
12-21-2005, 06:17 PM
I'm almost embarrassed to post this, because I've seen such awesome talent here...but my curiosity about others' viewpoints prevails:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2005/72880-mountain-scene2.jpg

The tree is sad...well, the leaves make me ill anyway. Haven't gotten the "painting" down very well. I guess I'm a drawer, not a painter.

Done in PSP9, and there is no reference photo - it came from my imagination (sort of an auto-biography). I used the pen tool to create the big sections, the paintbrush and oil brush for the smaller details.

LOL...my husband (a hunter) can spot a deer from a mile away, so I asked him what was the first thing he saw...he said, "the road." But then, he immediately spotted the deer. You might ask, "Why is the doe in the front?" Well, that's because - from what I understand - the buck will usually send the doe out ahead of him :wink2:

clipartbytrina
12-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Ok, "Mountain Scene," not "Moutain Scene." :P

Skinny
12-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Don't despair, Trina...most of us look back on our beginning efforts with a laugh. The first thing I'd do is to increase the intensity of your colors, at least in the foreground. The road is a very peculiar one, isn't it? Those switchbacks suggest a mountainous terrain that isn't evident. The deer are almost invisible. You might move them up a bit.
I love the way you've made the far distance a mere whisper.

Digital Portraits
12-21-2005, 07:04 PM
I absolutely love the perspective on this one! I don't know what advice to give because you are honestly better at this point :) Good luck!

digistyle
12-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Trina,
Welcome to the Digital Art Forum. This painting is a good effort. I think Skinny's given you some good advice so I'll just add "keep painting and posting!"

digistyle

Elvira
12-21-2005, 09:39 PM
Just a suggestion, but it is unlikely that a road would be completely visible in a sceene like this, but would disappear and appear for example the trees where the road first becomes narrow would obscure it and it could appear agian just above them.
Also when painting trees don't get lost in painting leaves, paint the foilage as mass and add a few details to give an impression of leaves as you finish.

A very good beginning, keep painting and observing!
Edie

clipartbytrina
12-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Skinny: Thank you...I will do exactly that (intensify colors and move the deer up). What would you do with the mountains?

Digital Portraits: Thank you, but I've seen your work too and might have to disagree with your statement ;)

Digistyle: Thanks for the encouragement!!!

Elvira: You're absolutely right. The road is too prominent and should be obscure in places. Thanks for the advice on the leaves. I seem better able to do that in the distant foliage, but for some reason, the up close ones have me intimidated.

clipartbytrina
12-21-2005, 10:17 PM
Oops...double posted, but I don't see a way to delete the whole thing.

justjean
12-21-2005, 10:29 PM
You have a good beginning and Kristen has given you some good advice :)

clipartbytrina
12-22-2005, 12:15 AM
Worked on it a little more after the above suggestions.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2005/72880-mountain-scene3.jpg

LadyAlba
12-22-2005, 12:21 AM
I like this second one alot better! ;o)

barryt
12-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Keep at it Trina, a nice scene, and like the distance. I think your road could be improved as Edie says? I could draw you a quick sketch?

clipartbytrina
12-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks, Barry. I would love to see what you would do with it...please do!

barryt
12-22-2005, 12:02 PM
I'm not doing anything with it Trina, just a quick sketch to illustrate a road disappearing and reappearing

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2005/70662-road.jpg

clipartbytrina
12-22-2005, 12:24 PM
LOL...love the sun! Thanks for the illustration - it's very helpful, and I'll put some more time into it to try to achieve that effect. As I'm sure everyone can tell, I'm not an art student (had 1 year of art in high school), so any and all feedback is welcomed with open arms.

poolekv
12-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Got to say Trina i really like the way you have created the forground, the grass and the flowers to the r/h side are really nice looking.

clipartbytrina
12-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Thank you, rainstreet :)

Ok, worked on the road, the leaves, moved the deer back a little (my son said they were too small for where they were standing in #2).

So, here's #3:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2005/72880-mountain-scene4.jpg

barryt
12-22-2005, 01:58 PM
That looks even greater to me Trina. I think I can see the road in the far distance, and if so making it a little more definitive would add depth and interest? looking forward to more. You've obviously got the bug :)

Bytemebabs
12-22-2005, 02:35 PM
I love the third one but was disappointed to see that the road disappeared. I liked the original concept. I you totally got the deer right in this last one. In the first, I would not have seen them had you not mentioned them. The second one, your son hit the nail on the head and this one perfect!

I love your determination to "get it right"! And by the way, I think your tree bark is right on! Leaves are a major pain to me. You might notice I have stopped painting landscapes. I guess I should bite the bullet again and do more lol.

It is very interesting to watch you grow by leaps with the advise from fellow artists. Wonderful bunch of people eh?

Chiers
12-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Good improvement on your second painting Trina. Barrys illustration for the road is a good idea too. Another suggestion is your road makes a sudden wide to very narrow change at the tree line. If you begin to narrow the road a little closer and maybe push some of the grass into the trees along the roadside it would look a bit more natural.

Don't get intimidated by the lack of art instruction. I find many digital artists who have none at all except maybe for books and what they have learned here and at other web forums. I also am one who has never had any formal art instruction.

Okay, I guess I'm not awake yet. I didn't see your third picture. Much better but still think the grass along the road into the trees would help and some darker darks, and more highlight to indicate where the sun is.

And next time I will try to remember to look for page two....

waheednasir
12-22-2005, 02:59 PM
this is a nice landsape. composition wise, its good, the path/road takes u far away into it. though i have a few suggestions that might help if u agree to them...:). its your decision in the end. here:
i would add some stronger color in the foregrouns. some darker values are missing there. as its the closest area, it needs some detailing and stong contrast. like in the grass.
i would get rid of the hard edges of those mountains in the background. and would make them lighter in value.
the road/path needs some sort of texture, on the area thats close to us.
id make the road dissapear as it leaves the foreground area. it would go down. at the moment it seems like it goes in the air after the edge of the foreground. make it go down, by making it dissapear and appear again, according to the land's formation. hope u get my point.
i would get rid of the darker like outlining the road, its very constant. id break it at some point. esp the left side one.
if u agree, make the road/path wider, its too narrow if u compare it with the trunk of the tree. scaling is off, that is making this whole scene sort of un-natural.
uve painted this nicely, just take care of these issues and see if they work. all the best...:).

thats some friendly suggestions from my end. cheers...:wave:.

clipartbytrina
12-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Barry: I've worked on bringing the road out a little more, chiseled on the mountains with shadows and highlights (I love that part).

Babs: Thanks! This has been fun...and quite a stretch for me, because I've spent the last few years doing "country graphics" and a few portraits here and there. Landscape has always intrigued me, but I found it intimidating because - as mentioned above - I've not had proper training and the thought of trying to create the depth and proper perspective was daunting! And yes, this is a wonderful bunch of folks! The input pushes me forward and helps me to see what needs to happen.

Sherry: Thank you...working away at some of your suggestions

Waheed: Wow! Amazing critique...I'm working on some of those now, too.

Bytemebabs
12-22-2005, 03:37 PM
As I'm sure everyone can tell, I'm not an art student (had 1 year of art in high school), so any and all feedback is welcomed with open arms.

:) Whelp you have one year of "formal art training" more than I have had. I have had none and have been chastised by some who said I was a "lucky one" to paint as I do and should stop denying that I have ... er ... natural talent? So girl? Stop leaning on the crutch (as it was put to me) and "revel" in your talent! You have a lot! And should be proud of what you can do! Some people will never have your ability and I feel that is the "A special gift" some of us were born with.

clipartbytrina
12-22-2005, 03:44 PM
:eek: :mad: There needs to be a fit-throwing smiley. These don't capture it. Lost some of my work to a runtime error. I'm going to go sit in the corner and write: "I will save my work frequently" 500 times.

Geez!

clipartbytrina
12-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks, Babs! I'll stop leaning on that crutch (I happen to have a better use for it at the moment anyway...ROFL...my monitor just jumped down behind the desk).

Some people are just born with an ability to translate their minds onto paper. My brother has an incredible gift of drawing. He never saw any use for it, so he put his pencil down and picked up a hammer. Now, he builds houses instead of drawing them. He buys delapidated (sp) houses and remodels them. When he sees the old house, he can picture in his mind what he wants it to look like. And voile! It's a masterpiece when he's finished.

clipartbytrina
12-22-2005, 11:49 PM
Ok, too tired to explain everything...I think it's pretty obvious, though. After sneaking over to see Barb's website, I looked at mine again and it was so dull that I thought I would add some brighter, colorful flowers along the road. I think it makes it look a little cheerier :)

I'm also trying to illustrate a dip where the tree line is...not sure how successful that was. I really wanted a creek there, and may still do it, but I'll have to go find a bridge to use as a reference.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2005/72880-mountain-scene6.jpg

Skinny
12-25-2005, 07:51 AM
Trina, I really LIKE this new version! You took a rather dull scene and made it cheerful. GOOD JOB!

Elvira
12-25-2005, 11:12 AM
This is very good your road also works much better now as well as the perspective you not only have depth to the landscape you also have changlng terrain hieght which is never easy to make believable. The only thing might be that the tone of the distant and middle ground a a bit dark. The rule of thumb for arial perspective is that darks get lighter and lights get darker as they move away from the viewer.

Some brighter colour, as in purer hues in the forground would also help to keep the midground where it is suppose to be. In fact one way to make the dark mid and background planes work, as a in a storm is coming, would be to really brighten the foreground plane with some pure colour as in very bright sunlight this would counteract the dark tone I think, can't be sure without trying it.

Here is one of my landscapes that I think illustrates some of what I'm talking about, only problem I have with it is I painted it out colour range for the printer so it will never be a print. but I think the idea of airal perspective is demonstrated.
Edie

clipartbytrina
12-26-2005, 12:10 AM
Kristen: Thanks!

Edie: I love your painting, and it helps me to see exactly what you're talking about. Nothing helps quite like a visual demonstration for me. I like the leaves in the foreground that are almost flourescent, and I think the yellow in the midground adds a perfect touch.

Ok, back to work on it tomorrow. Tonight, I have a keyboard waiting to be played :)