PDA

View Full Version : gourd, squash, and onion

Dharma_bum
12-21-2005, 06:51 AM
Well, after a long hiatus, I finally had to paint something. Got sidetracked with woodworking, so have been gone for a while. Have been working on a small pochade box based on the one Marc Hanson made, pics of that tomorrow. But for now...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2005/41430-P1010139.jpg

I have always been fascinated by turban squash, not the best eating, but by far the most fun to look at. I'm least happy with the gourd on the left, had a hard time with color and value.

Dan

JamieWG
12-21-2005, 07:03 AM
Dan, this is so funny....I was just typing a PM to you as you were posting this!

I love the way your dark background pops that squash. The turban variety is indeed way cool! I'm going to have to go look for some of that.

It's great to see you getting back to your brushes again. You must have absolutely loved painting this!

Jamie

Dharma_bum
12-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Thanks Jamie. It was fun to get back at it, but I have a lot of "refreshing" to do. Sure could have used some earth colors on my palette.

Dan

Like2Pedal
12-21-2005, 05:07 PM
i like the left biased presentation. the onion is nice and warm. i like the turban squash too but the greens and white don't feel like "fit" the rest of the gourd though. maybe the white dying in a distinct line on the left is throwing me off bit. overall i enjoy you painting.

LarrySeiler
12-21-2005, 06:42 PM
really like that oninon, Dan...nice effort overall!

Larry

Dharma_bum
12-22-2005, 06:23 PM
i like the turban squash too but the greens and white don't feel like "fit" the rest of the gourd though. maybe the white dying in a distinct line on the left is throwing me off bit. overall i enjoy you painting.

Are you suggesting more shadowing, losing the edge there?

Larry, thanks, I seem to have an easier time with onions for some reason. Has anyone coined the term "Painter Of Onions" yet? :D

Dan