PDA

View Full Version : Pink n Blue

Limner
12-21-2005, 06:28 AM
Hi, this one was a lot more animated than the sketch shows.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2005/53041-pinkyyblue.JPG

JamieWG
12-21-2005, 06:43 AM
Lovely softness, Limner

Jamie

James or Jimmy Jim
12-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Nice work. Just curious, do you ever do portraits in paint?

Limner
12-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Nice work. Just curious, do you ever do portraits in paint?

Jim,

I am a pedant, aren't pastels paint?

I know what you mean and yes I do, but I'm trying to cut down on the portraits. I would rather be out there than in here.

In thirty years as a limner I've done over eighty thousand portrait sketches.

I choose not to do them now.......

A while ago I questioned what it was all about and I couldn't keep down my urge to go out to paint. Now if anyone wants a portrait I ask them to come out on location and stand on the cliff top for an hour or two.
Would you believe it some are willing to be portrayed with red noses.

In the summer it's not so bad so there are lots of bookings for the warm weather. I get many offers for nude or semi nude but I choose not to ask anyone to stand in front of me in a way that I wouldn't feel comfortable asking my Grandmother.

Jon

James or Jimmy Jim
12-21-2005, 04:02 PM
Jim,

I am a pedant, aren't pastels paint?

I know what you mean and yes I do, but I'm trying to cut down on the portraits. I would rather be out there than in here.

In thirty years as a limner I've done over eighty thousand portrait sketches.

I choose not to do them now.......

A while ago I questioned what it was all about and I couldn't keep down my urge to go out to paint. Now if anyone wants a portrait I ask them to come out on location and stand on the cliff top for an hour or two.
Would you believe it some are willing to be portrayed with red noses.

In the summer it's not so bad so there are lots of bookings for the warm weather. I get many offers for nude or semi nude but I choose not to ask anyone to stand in front of me in a way that I wouldn't feel comfortable asking my Grandmother.

Jon

Jon,

Yes, that's what I meant ... wet paint.

Eighty thousand - seven a day? You must mean eight thousand.

Anyway, love your work.

Limner
12-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Thanks Jim,

I do like the wet stuff.

I had to do 30 a day for many years. So over eighty thousand it is to date.
I would not like to see them in an exhibition.

Jon

James or Jimmy Jim
12-21-2005, 04:31 PM
Thanks Jim,

I do like the wet stuff.

I had to do 30 a day for many years. So over eighty thousand it is to date.
I would not like to see them in an exhibition.

Jon

What?!? No wonder you are so good.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2005/33859-jawdrop.gif

Limner
12-21-2005, 04:41 PM

It seemed to be an attractive apprentiship at the time. I was working for some people who payed me 50p per portrait and they made a lot of money out of me. That was when I was seventeen. I was tied up with them until I was twenty three then went out on my own. I can now do three a day if I'm pushed but I choose not to. It was a fantastic way to get your eye in but there wasn't any pension plan.

Jon

Limner
12-21-2005, 04:41 PM

It seemed to be an attractive apprentiship at the time. I was working for some people who payed me 50p per portrait and they made a lot of money out of me. That was when I was seventeen. I was tied up with them until I was twenty three then went out on my own. I can now do three a day if I'm pushed but I choose not to. It was a fantastic way to get your eye in but there wasn't any pension plan.

Jon

James or Jimmy Jim
12-21-2005, 05:02 PM

Jon

That was child labour!

Limner
12-21-2005, 05:12 PM
That was child labour!

I was willing and able and gullable.

I guess I just wanted what they gave me and even though I was working from 9.00 am till 11.00 pm six days a week I was still getting more than most. In 1975 I was making 120 a week but I was useless after working so hard. For nearly 30 years I did pictures for other people and it was only when I did the Limner's Contract did I do something for myself. I really enjoyed every day of going out into the open and painting on site.

Jon

James or Jimmy Jim
12-21-2005, 05:34 PM
I was willing and able and gullable.

I guess I just wanted what they gave me and even though I was working from 9.00 am till 11.00 pm six days a week I was still getting more than most. In 1975 I was making 120 a week but I was useless after working so hard. For nearly 30 years I did pictures for other people and it was only when I did the Limner's Contract did I do something for myself. I really enjoyed every day of going out into the open and painting on site.

Jon

You probably have carpal tunnel syndrome! :D

I thought I was insane with some of my escapades, but you take the cake Jon!

Limner
12-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Heh Heh Heh... more like Carpi Deum syndrome now.........

James or Jimmy Jim
12-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Heh Heh Heh... more like Carpi Deum syndrome now.........

Man this place is funny! At least you can fit a lot into each day. :D :D :D

Limner
12-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Man this place is funny! At least you can fit a lot into each day. :D :D :D

No more or less than you my friend.

Jon

midcoast
12-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Very nice portrait, Limner!!!

Nancy

tk04
01-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Gorgeous. Naturalistic (???) portraits that has value out of context, time and knowing the person are quite rare - imo, of course, a highly subjective opinion.

If you have made 80 000, perhaps you have a couple more to show?

macrobertson
01-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Limner, despite the limitation of photography, this has lots of life and a lovely combination of colours, and it looks like paint... even if it was dry paint!
How much time was taken for this?
I was fascinated to read your background chatter on this, something I wish I had done 30 (40!)years ago! I have only this last year started doing portraits in an open air mall, and charging slightly more than your slave labour rates... just so I can get the practice.

Mac

DLGardner
01-02-2006, 08:16 PM
This is beautiful. Even after having done so many portraits on demand, you have not failed to capture the life of this little girl. Thanks for sharing this.

I have been doing portraits, about 12 a day, at the Renaissance Faire. I only started this last year and did quite well. Do you have any tips for this kind of work?
Dianne

Limner
01-03-2006, 05:34 AM
Very nice portrait, Limner!!!

Nancy

Thank you Nancy,

She is a special person, although every one is special. There must be another word describe the precious individuals that are all special.

Jon

Limner
01-03-2006, 05:46 AM
Gorgeous. Naturalistic (???) portraits that has value out of context, time and knowing the person are quite rare - imo, of course, a highly subjective opinion.

If you have made 80 000, perhaps you have a couple more to show?

Hi tk04, I hear what you are saying, it is subjective. When you put yourself out there and welcome all takers then you must be instantly objective in order to create something for the person in front of you. This leaves the finished sketch for someone else to be subjective (usually the relatives over your shoulder) The event unfolds in front of the viewers eyes and it is as much an event as it is a product. The fact that it is all done from life is a celebration of that person in the moment. If you are in the luxurious position to choose only the people you want to do then you can be more subjective about the whole process and product.

I do have some pictures somewhere that people have sent to me but most of my work was done pre-digital and I never had time or the inclination to record them all with photographs. I'll see if I can dig some out for you.

Cheers

Jon

Limner
01-03-2006, 05:57 AM
Limner, despite the limitation of photography, this has lots of life and a lovely combination of colours, and it looks like paint... even if it was dry paint!
How much time was taken for this?
I was fascinated to read your background chatter on this, something I wish I had done 30 (40!)years ago! I have only this last year started doing portraits in an open air mall, and charging slightly more than your slave labour rates... just so I can get the practice.

Mac

Hi Mac, thank you for the observations and the related restrictions.

She was full of energy and was constantly moving so I guess the time doing it was just over an hour although there was more time not working with her in front of me. For instance jumping up and down and pulling faces, singing and dancing etc. When this happens you can only observe and this all takes time. Time that you can't afford if you are working, fortunately I was just filling in a gap while I was manning "The Limner's Contract" exhibition.

I wish you all the best in your mall works, I hope you enjoy every moment.

Cheers

Jon

Limner
01-03-2006, 06:07 AM
This is beautiful. Even after having done so many portraits on demand, you have not failed to capture the life of this little girl. Thanks for sharing this.

I have been doing portraits, about 12 a day, at the Renaissance Faire. I only started this last year and did quite well. Do you have any tips for this kind of work?
Dianne

Thank you Dianne.

Twelve a day! You must have a heart as big as a lion.

I have lots of tips but the best one I can give you is to keep going.

If you do have any particular problems I can try to help you. I feel that I will only go over and over the importance of the basics.

A sturdy easel and good ground at eye level with you and the sitter is a start.

Short of writing a book I will try to answer specifics, so feel free to ask.

Cheers

Jon