PDA

View Full Version : Crossword

ponting
12-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Here is the painting promised to E-J. Thanks you Emma for the inspriration with "What's black and white and read all over?"

I DID NOT PAINT THE NEWSPRINT only pastelled the pencil and lemon tea onto it.

This is a mate to Korean Cherries http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284263

A continuation of the experiment.

7 x 9.5 " on Arches hot press watercolour paper.

Comments and Critique welcome and appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2005/34523-Crossword-.jpg

maddy777
12-20-2005, 08:05 AM
Ok Dianna I have sat here for 10 mins staring at your painting trying to think of something decent to say, not having much luck (just fluffy words) so then I decided you are a pastelling enigma! (to me anyway and that I need to work on my vocabulary).
Wonderful as usual
mads

Bill Foehringer
12-20-2005, 08:56 AM
I like these paintings. Are you creating a series? BillF

bjcpaints
12-20-2005, 09:44 AM
I DID NOT PAINT THE NEWSPRINT only pastelled the pencil and lemon tea onto it.7 x 9.5 " on Arches hot press watercolour paper.
Oh I am so confused?:confused: Why is it always me asking the dumb questions?? LOL Dianna, Please explain - did you pastel on the watercolour paper and cut it out and glue it to the newspaper? It certainly looks like a photograph and I apologize in advance for saying so as I know some artists hate to hear that. I mean it in the way of a highest compliment!:)
Barbara

Bhavana Vijay
12-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Everything Mads said!!I am really at a loss for words!Such a wonderful painting to wake up to!!

khourianya
12-20-2005, 10:57 AM
If you go look at her Korean Cherries painting it will wmake sense. She prints the image of the puzzle onto the watercolour paper and then pastels on top.

This is gorgeous, Dianna. as always, but still worth saying!

Fozbot
12-20-2005, 10:59 AM
this is incredible! did you have the newsprint photocopied onto wc paper and apply pastel over it? inquiring minds would LOVE to know!

Fozbot
12-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Cori, you must have posted right on top of me. thanks for the answer.

ponting
12-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Good giirl Cori.....great answers. I can see you were paying attention the first time around :D .

Mads.........very nice speech. It spoke words. LOL :cat:

Hi Bill........This is still another lead-up to my musical pears. That one will have to wait until the new year...working in on an acrylic right now.

Bhavava...Thanks for stopping in for your morning cuppa tea.

Barbara and Billie..you have heard Cori's explanation but I will enlarge upon it. I photographed the newsprint. Put it in Photoshop and whited out the pencil and cup of tea before printing it on the watercolour paper. This preserves the whiteness of the newsprint which of course would have turned yellow within a few weeks.

The only thing I have left to do is to fill in the 7 spaces in the lower left part of the bottom puzzle with 'PONTING' which was an afterthought

Cheerio and have a great day.....Dianna

HarvestMoon
12-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Dianna- this is wonderful- what a great idea- and I thought someone posted a 'pastel' crossword puzzle for us to do LOL...
Linda

Nancy Leone
12-20-2005, 11:55 AM
47 across: amazing creative artist

Paula Ford
12-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Wow! Such detail. I hope to take a class from you one day Dianna. Do you ever come to Tennessee?

Such beautiful work
Paula

Deborah Secor
12-20-2005, 01:22 PM
LOVE this idea...now I'm wondering how I could appropriate it and apply it to landscapes... <wheels turning> Beautiful image, too! You are one talented lady, Dianna. :)

Deborah

Mike_Beeman
12-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Dianna...like Dee the wheels are turning! Do you mind if I ask what type of printer do you use that will print on watercolor paper...and are you using 140lb or 300lb or does it matter? Also, do you apply any kind of pumice treatment to the paper? Sorry for all the questions but I find this process quite interesting!
Mike

vhere
12-20-2005, 02:55 PM
this is really lovely - I love the contrast of the flat paper with the velvety pastel of the drawing and the trompe l'oeil effect. :cat:

it's this year you come to England isn't it?

ponting
12-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Hi Linda..no I'll leave that to Cori's inventive nature when it comes to puzzles. :cat:

Nancy...amazingly creative response. :clap: :D

Paula, I've never been to the eastern half of the states except to pop into New York but am always looking for excuses to explore so if I find a group interested in hosting a workshop out your way, I'll let you know. :cat:

Hi Dee. Nice to see you here. Hmmm will have to put some thought into how it could work for landscapes :D

Cheers, and thanks people.....Dianna

ponting
12-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Sorry I missed you two..... Mike...I used 90lb hotpress and if you feel it...the back is a little less smooth than the front so I used the back side. However, it was still a challenge to get the pastel to stay. Next time I'll experiment with spraying the paper with a workable fixative before and/or also after printing to see if one or the other improves the griptivitiy.

When I had thought of using the real newsprint, I was going to white out the areas of the pencil etc with white pastel ground applied with a roller after covering the surrounding areas with frisket paper But I didn't go that route once I figured out it would work without it.

Viven....hello again :wave: YES!! This spring is my teacing sojourn to the UK!! Looking forward to meeting some of you artists. :clap: :clap:

Cheers, Dianna

khourianya
12-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Hi Linda..no I'll leave that to Cori's inventive nature when it comes to puzzles. :cat:

LOL - don't put it past me - I have access to programs that will build me crossword puzzles on anything I want..... :D

:evil:

Orchidacea
12-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Too, too cool!! What's next in the series?

KJSCL
12-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Dianna, another fantastic painting! Great idea too, but the thing I like the most is the word "griptivity". What a great word to use to rate the tooth of a paper:D

CindyW
12-20-2005, 06:06 PM
Hi Dianna,
Such fun to see your experiments!
What about the ink from your printer? Will it fade over time? or have you looked into inks that don't discolor or loose their original intensity? Also, interesting that you put heavier paper into the printer...I've not used anything heavier than cardstock in my printer. Hmmmmmmm....stirring the pot gets the creative juices mixing and swirling around.....
Cindy

ponting
12-20-2005, 08:22 PM
LOL - don't put it past me - I have access to programs that will build me crossword puzzles on anything I want..... :D
QUOTE]

Oh....that interests me Cori!!

[QUOTE=KJSCL]... the thing I like the most is the word "griptivity". What a great word to use to rate the tooth of a paper:D

LOL Kathy...I've never checked to see if it really is a word but it certainly has worked in an explanatory nature for me for years and your the first to mention it. :p

Kim...These were all a lead in to my Musical Pears painting. I have a very old sheet of piano music that I wanted to drymount and paint in three pears sitting on a black piano. Since I have only the one sheet, I wanted to do some experimanting to figure out the best way to use it and newsprint was my the first idea that popped into my mind. These "different" paintings are fun but believe me.........they never sell with my other work. My clientelle doesn't appreciate them in the least :rolleyes:

Cindy, 90lb paper is about the same as card blanks and the inks are indeed archival. You certainly could use blanks for small paintings as the tooth appears about the same as that of Arches hotpress.

Thanks everyone for stopping by....let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers, Dianna

nes7827
12-20-2005, 09:43 PM
Geez I never check out this forum, I should. This caught my eye, I'm a NY Times crossword addict. A killer Friday or Saturday puzzle (way harder than Sunday) is one my joys in life. Love what you did here, a novel idea printing it off first. I'm generally not taken by photo-realism, but you have a flair with it that makes for one of those exceptions to the rule. Great work! :clap: Nick

Barrynotlarry
12-20-2005, 09:55 PM
Wow, that looks cool.
Nice work.
Barry

khourianya
12-20-2005, 10:13 PM
Oh....that interests me Cori!!

lol

If people want to PM me questions and the corerct answers (1-2 words max) I would be happy to put together a fun Christmas pastel puzzler for us :)

E-J
12-21-2005, 05:00 AM
Dianna, I can't believe it took me a whole day to stumble on this!!

What a cunning idea! :clap:

Am I allowed to put "I inspired Dianna Ponting" on my CV? :D

bjcpaints
12-21-2005, 09:59 AM
The only thing I have left to do is to fill in the 7 spaces in the lower left part of the bottom puzzle with 'PONTING' which was an afterthought
Dianna

Brilliant. I have to start thinking outside of the box when it comes to composition! I was thinking like Cindy - what will this do to my printer? How will this work? LOL Guess we have to be brave sometimes if we want something out of the ordinary!

Orchidacea
12-21-2005, 07:30 PM
These "different" paintings are fun but believe me.........they never sell with my other work. My clientelle doesn't appreciate them in the least

Silly clients!!

Merethe T
12-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Amazing work again - your talent just blow me away!! So inspiring....
and Kim just said what I was thinking - how can anyone not appreciate these paintings?? Gosh.....

Meisie
12-22-2005, 12:29 AM
Double WOWZERS!!!! That cup of tea is amazing!!!!

*gasp*

:D

Meisie

Khadres
12-22-2005, 06:47 AM
How did you print the puzzle, etc. onto the watercolor paper? Nevermind....doesn't matter....that tea-saturated slice of lemon slice sells the whole idea! Love it!

ponting
12-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Hello Nick and Barry.....thanks so much for popping in and taking the time to comment. Nick....I hope you contact Cori with a few suggestions as I would l for one would love to see her put something challenging together.

Emma.....you found it!! Oh yah....I'm sure it would do wonders for your CV :rolleyes: A sincere 'Thank you" for the insperation though!! :)

Barbara...I'm a very inventive person by nature when it comes to problem solving but not usually in the sense of chosing to come up with something new and different. In fact the only thing that used to spur me in that direction was the the Federation of Canadian Artists' "Experimental Show" every January in which, if you chose to enter, were expected to do something outside your comfort zone. It's this type of challenge that bring out the rare occasions of deviation from my main focus. "Box of Pears" which I posted on here at one time was another entry into one of these shows.

S'truth Kim and Merethe...I swear!!...These hang on my walls for years but the nice part about that is that I love them and get to appreciate those rare times that I come up with something unique.

Meisie and Sooz....glad you like the tea...again this is that beautiful lavender saucer that does wonderful things in different situations. And it's neat that you should mention the lemon being 'tea soaked' as I really argued with myself about depicting that. The tea soaked in so quickly....(I never use it myself so wasn't familiar with what would happen here)....that I was disappointed in how it dulled the lemon down and debated on forgoing the stained look for a fresh one.

Well it's Christmas Eve so, good friends.....you have my very best wishes for a wonderful day tomorrow.

"Nollaig chridheil huibh" Dianna :cat:

Bringer
12-24-2005, 12:24 PM
Hi,

The shades are real shades, am I correct ?
Everything is remarkable, but the pencil outstands.

Merry Christmas,

Josť

*Marina*
12-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Beautiful!

ponting
12-24-2005, 02:20 PM
Hi,

The shades are real shades, am I correct ?
Everything is remarkable, but the pencil outstands.

Yes Josť...The shadows are real shadows.

Hi Marina.....nice to see you here!!!

"Nollaig chridheil huibh" Dianna :wave:

silverflagon
12-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Stunning! Dianna, you are amazing.

ponting
12-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Thanks so much Steph...I love your Christmas greeting!!

"Nollaig chridheil huibh" Dianna

binkie
12-24-2005, 06:10 PM
Oh Diana, every time I look at one of your paintings I think you have the most incredible talent and it's the best painting you've ever done. Then I look at the next one you do and it's even more fantastic!!!! I just don't have words to say how fantastic this is.

binkie

ThomasStraten
12-25-2005, 01:09 PM
Perhaps a stupid question.... Do you send your photo to a specialized printing place? Or do you use a printer you own? (In that case: what printer??)

Tom

ponting
12-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Binkie.I love that name....Thanks so much for the wonderful comments....They do keep me working at times when I doubt my progress. :cat:

Tom I have a Epson Stylus with Ultrachrome inks that I do my own printing on. Ir's on it's last legs and they have much better professional models now, all with the archival inks and wide formats that are definitely worth the bucks if you're thinking of putting out Giclees in small sizes.

Cheers, Dianna

Fort Meyer
01-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Took me a minute to realize what I saw. WOW!!

ponting
01-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Yes Judy, one of my cheater paintings. ..................head down, dragging my blankie off into a corner.

Cheers, Dianna :cat:

Meisie
01-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Hey! That blankie could make a great backdrop for another gorgeous painting....I don't believe for a minute you sulk in the corner! :rolleyes: You are planning another beauty ;) :D

Meisie

ponting
01-06-2006, 03:00 PM
:eek: Oh dear....I've been found out!! :p

Fort Meyer
01-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Hey! That blankie could make a great backdrop for another gorgeous painting....I don't believe for a minute you sulk in the corner! :rolleyes: You are planning another beauty ;) :D

MeisieHehehe ... Meisie beat me to it Dianna. I doubt if sulk is even in your vocabulary. Probably a blankie back drop to a rattle, silver spoon or cup and a college photo!! Something else you can print out like the crossword! :D

Meisie
01-06-2006, 05:02 PM
:p too funny... :D

Meisie

dlake
01-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Is that ever cool and also really, really good. My husband does crosswords and would love this. It's so real looking and just fantasic. It's such a wonderful idea.

*Deirdre*
01-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Oh!:p :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: