PDA

View Full Version : Siamese cat

barryt
12-19-2005, 09:56 AM
I am doing this for a friend, whose cat Chloe just died aged around 17.
I have superimposed it on a backround of Thailand, the image of which I used twice, to fit in the details. I used Painter 8 for the whole job, cloning the cat, fairly straight, using the sargent brush. I then added the reflections and the base, and lighting and the text.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2005/70662-Chloe2.jpg

ref photo

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2005/70662-VSImage_3.jpg

waheednasir
12-19-2005, 10:09 AM
hi barryt, this is an interesting piece...:). a nice gift.
i would just make the light a bit less intense on the cat from the left (our left), only if the light source is just the sun (i personaly think that making the sun the only light source would be better). and then give it an orangish touch. all that will make her blend more in this scene. just a suggestion...:).

good work...:)

LadyAlba
12-19-2005, 10:09 AM
Beautiful work Barry...put me in mind of my husbands cat we lost a couple of months ago. ;o)

barryt
12-19-2005, 10:45 AM
ThanksWaheed, I will look at that
Marge, thank you, it is not easy to cope with loss of pets

barryt
12-19-2005, 11:00 AM
How's this Waheed? Too much?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2005/70662-Chloe3.jpg

waheednasir
12-19-2005, 11:08 AM
hi again barry..this looks better. i like this more. in my humble opnion i would go a bit more. i see that uve touched the sun as well. there was no need. now as uve made it dull, so the cat still has more light on her. but it looks good now. if u allow me, i can work over it a bit to make my point clear. ill post it after some touch up. only if u happily agree.

:).

barryt
12-19-2005, 11:38 AM
Great go ahead Waheed!

waheednasir
12-19-2005, 11:53 AM
hello again barry...:). thanks..spent about 5 mins on this. just a rough suggestion.
apart from the cat's left side / where the light is (our left), i did touch up the far away construction as well. it was flat before. plus just suggested a wall's top part where the cat is, so if u think its needed, u can work on that. the cat needed some more darker colors on top and right side as well (our rite).

hope this works for u...:wave:.

i really enjoyed the process. coz it is an interesting idea from your end.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2005/64845-cat-barry-TouchUp-wn.jpg

barryt
12-19-2005, 01:39 PM
Thanks so much Waheed, I will work on your ideas. :clap: :clap:

Chiers
12-19-2005, 01:53 PM
However this ends up Barry your friend is going to love it! Siamese are such beautiful cats with distinct personalities.

Out of the three of these here now I like your second one best. What I would do with it though is just move the sun. You have depicted the cat perfectly in this one but the sun is in the wrong place. I would take it out of the picture completely and leave the brighter light on the cat and also add some to the far off buildings, as Waheed has done, only maybe ever so slightly stronger. You don't want to take your focus off of your beautiful cat. You don't need to actually see the sun, just it's effects.

I just noticed that you have a reflection under the cat too. I would get rid of that because it takes the views mind away from the picture to wondering what the cat is sitting on. Well, my mind anyway. LOL

Bytemebabs
12-19-2005, 03:18 PM
Barry, I love your original and all of the posted replies.

You painted a cat and put it into a very different background. That was my first "fall in love with it". Then you had some suggestions from a few (totally talented) artists here. I liked the comment about adding abit of a warm orange color and toning the sun down.

All is good advise but I am sticking to my original thought viewing it.

I was very impressed. I especially liked how you combined the original cat reference with the background. Well done mate.

barryt
12-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Thanks Sherry and Babs. :)
Oh dear! I'm getting really confused now! This is what I like about this forum, it gets you thinking, looking at things in different ways. It's very difficult, when you see semething one way, to have second looks. This is what the forum does.
I think everyone's right!
I have decided not to color the cat to the degree Whaheed did, not because I don't like the effect but because I don't want to veer to much away from the cats coloring, being a gift about a real cat.

here's my next go

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2005/70662-Chloe6.jpg

I think I agree about the reflections, Sherry, but it took me HOURS to do them!! I'll think about it :)

Chiers
12-19-2005, 04:42 PM
I always think that in the end Barry, it should always be what we as the artist feel about the work we do. Suggestions and tips from our fellow artists are wonderful and helpful but not always fitting to our own visions. And following our own visions is what makes us unique as artists. When ever I give my opinion, or suggestions it's with the idea, take what you can use, and leave the rest.

barryt
12-20-2005, 06:13 AM
I completely agree Sherry, but we all need Mentors, to guide us and point. We then decide which path to travel. The final decision must be ours.
(The trouble is, which one????!)

justjean
12-20-2005, 06:28 AM
Beautiful painting Barry, and your 2nd is my favorite , love the colouring in that one :clap: :clap:

Skinny
12-20-2005, 07:07 AM
WONDERFUL, Barry...what a super gift this will be! Waheed´s suggestions added a lot, too.

barryt
12-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Thanks Jean and Skinny. my wife thinks I ought not to use the Thai bg, since the cat has never been there, she prefers a neutral bg. Problems problems!

clipartbytrina
12-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Beautiful images and so creative to put the two together.

I like the second one. But I agree the sun is in the wrong place. I'm still looking for what the cat is sitting on though. Since the light is coming from the left, I wonder if you could put some kind of highlight on the left side of the object it's sitting on...so it doesn't appear that he's sitting on air.

This is just a quick example, but maybe it'll give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2005/72880-siamese2.jpg

barryt
12-20-2005, 11:33 AM
That's a vg idea Trina, I had him (her) sitting on a sort of wall, but that might work better. That's if I don't decide to change it to a Kangaroo in Oz!

barryt
12-21-2005, 08:06 AM
I have contemplated everyone's thoughts and this is my final offering. Thanks all for your input, that was very enjoyable

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2005/70662-Chloe7.jpg

Now is this a painting.......

(I say in this case it is digital art.)

Here is the ref bg. I flipped it and used a couple of sizes of it to make the bg.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2005/70662-01001.JPG

justjean
12-21-2005, 08:14 AM
well what ever it is Barry I really like the cat and setting ,gives an air of mystery :)

barryt
12-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Thanks Jean, it's still a cat!

Skinny
12-21-2005, 08:41 AM
GREAT final, Barry! The proof of how much we like your work is all the tinkering we want to do to achieve "perfection".

Bytemebabs
12-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Ok Whelp ... Barry ... if you just turn the landscape upside down, move the sun to the middle and make it redish. Now turn the cat so it is facing the opposite way, BUT on a upward tilt, remove the orange tint and add some pinkish color to it's left leg, maybe a mouse hanging from it right front tooth, which by the way, you forgot to paint, and make it meow, I think it will be perfect! :evil:

Nice job my friend.

barryt
12-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks Kirsten and Babs.
My friends. :)

GreyWolf
12-22-2005, 03:50 PM
beautiful job!!! I love the background... verra nice way to "immortalize" your freind's cherished pet!

digistyle
12-22-2005, 04:19 PM
I like the way this turned out. It was great watching the work evolve!

digistyle

barryt
12-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks Greywolf and Digi. It was good fun

justjean
12-22-2005, 06:00 PM
LOL, Barry I know it's a cat and a beautiful one at that I was refering to painting or digital art :D

Thanks Jean, it's still a cat!

barryt
12-23-2005, 05:53 AM
Yes I sussed that after posting. Glad your eyesight's ok! :)

omniartz
12-24-2005, 03:45 PM
You have done a wonderful piece here. Lovely!

Kirk