PDA

View Full Version : Deep in the Iowa Greenbelt-winter

Tom Christopher
12-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Hello - I was abel to get out and take some photos just after our last snow. This is a painting I did tonight form one of those photos. Various Pastels on prepared board-- comments welcome..thank you Tom

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2005/35607-deep_inthe_greenbelt_wiinter-crop.JPG

Shane Keene
12-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Tom, this is absolutely gorgeous. I love the way the warm colors in the trees make the snow seem really cold. Everytime I see one of your winterscapes, I experience a desire to visit Iowa. It's beautiful here in Oregon but we don't get much in the way of snow (although we're getting our share of ice today).

Anyway, excellent work as usual. Keep it coming!!!

Peace,
Shane

Khadres
12-18-2005, 10:49 PM
Lovely! You manage to make a snow scene seem so warm and inviting somehow!

Tom Christopher
12-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Tom, this is absolutely gorgeous. I love the way the warm colors in the trees make the snow seem really cold. Everytime I see one of your winterscapes, I experience a desire to visit Iowa. It's beautiful here in Oregon but we don't get much in the way of snow (although we're getting our share of ice today).
Peace,
Shane

Thanks for commenting Shane--I am fortunate to live along the Iowa River where we have large bluffs and deep ravines -- so the snow tends to pile up here and stay for most of the winter. Tom

Paula Ford
12-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Really gorgeous!

Tom, I don't remember, did you do a thread on the board you use, and how you prepare it. If so, would you provide a link to that thread, or describe it for us here?

Thanks,
Paula

Shari
12-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Tom,

This is wonderful, gorgeous!!! how do you do a painting in an evening? It would take me a week to do that painting. Would you consider a demo for us, I have no idea how to paint snow and you make it look so wonderful.

HarvestMoon
12-19-2005, 02:50 AM
Tom- really wonderful- you have really captured the snow quite well... My kitty sitting here looking at it thinks so too!
Linda

Shane Keene
12-19-2005, 02:57 AM
Thanks for commenting Shane--I am fortunate to live along the Iowa River where we have large bluffs and deep ravines -- so the snow tends to pile up here and stay for most of the winter. Tom
I know what you mean by fortunate. I live along the North Umpqua River in southern Oregon; large bluffs, deep ravines and beautiful sprawling forests. Problem is, we don't got no snow :rolleyes:.

Speaking of which, I forgot to mention earlier how much I love the way you use color to represent the "white" of the snow. It would really be great if you would show us your steps for creating such dramatic snow (not very subtle hint).

Peace,
Shane

bjcpaints
12-19-2005, 09:11 AM
This is beautiful - would love to see a WIP, Demo, or any technique tips!!

meowmeow
12-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Wonderful, Tom! As others have been saying, the way you have the warmth and the cold together working so well is terrific. I always like your use of color.

Sandy

KJSCL
12-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Great painting! The colors you used are just fabulous. It really warmed up the scene.