PDA

View Full Version : A model without bones

James or Jimmy Jim
12-18-2005, 08:52 PM
I'll officially be the first to post here.

Open studio. A variety of poses ranging from one, two, five, 10 to twenty minutes. Never really finished drawings, but good pratice.

Pencil on 18x24 sheets (cropped for posting). Always terrible photos. :D

James or Jimmy Jim
12-18-2005, 08:55 PM
You get a lot done in two and a half hours. :D

I should mention that most of them end up in the garbage.

And ... I should also mention that proportions are usually "off", as the poses are pretty short and you have to draw quite quickly. Great practice though.

JamieWG
12-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Jimmy, thanks for being the first one to fill the void, and for talking a little about the challenges of the short pose life drawing process. For folks who think plein air requires fast work...well....hehehehe...they should just venture into a life drawing situation once or twice. *big grin*

You've done a great job of capturing the gestures and I think your proportions are quite good. The first, second, and fifth in the first set are my favorites of that post, and I just LOVE the hands in the second post.

My life drawing ended when the Art Center filed for bankruptcy mid-semester and closed its doors. :( So, I'm still looking for another open studio. Hopefully in January I'll be able to try a couple of others. Till then, I'll just enjoy yours.

Edit: Thanks for remembering the butt icon. I always forget to put that on my figure threads. I think they finally made me a Moderator so that I'd be able to edit my own threads to add it, instead of bugging the Mods all the time. LOL

Jamie

James or Jimmy Jim
12-18-2005, 09:39 PM
Thanks Jamie. I should mention that these aren't the one and two minute poses (I should find some). Also, sometimes I do much more shading (including the background), but this guy was a real drawing "challenge" as some models are.

James or Jimmy Jim
12-18-2005, 09:47 PM
My life drawing ended when the Art Center filed for bankruptcy mid-semester and closed its doors. :( So, I'm still looking for another open studio. Hopefully in January I'll be able to try a couple of others. Till then, I'll just enjoy yours.
Jamie

That's no good Jamie. For a while I had no class ... so I found an open studio. :D Sorry. :D :D

On another note, I haven't seen Dana(T) around for a while. Are you still in touch with her?

RI painter
12-18-2005, 09:53 PM
Jimmy,
Lovely drawings..and if you can do the figure well, you can do just about anything well!...great,
Jon

James or Jimmy Jim
12-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Thanks Jonnie Jon, :D life drawing does teach humility and it's always a race against the clock ... sort of like painting outdoors.

DLJohnson
12-19-2005, 03:09 AM
Bravo! I thoroughly enjoyed every pic. One or two minutes? I will get there. :cat: What paper do you like best? 18x24 is the size I would like to try. I am using 11x14 sketchbook and it is too small. Just an ordinary sketchbook? I have a new life class starting in January so that is the reason for so many questions.

I have not had an easy time finding and open studio in my area, or life classes since we moved here last year. I will be driving to LA, about an hour and a half, but worth it.

Thanks,
Donna

I am so glad to see this forum :)

James or Jimmy Jim
12-19-2005, 11:04 AM
Thanks Donna. I think the 18 x 24 sheets are a good size to work on, although it can be tiring for the quick poses. :D

For the quickies, I use the cheapest newsprint - 90 cents for a pad! I also use heavier newsprint, with more tooth, for the medium-length poses, and good heavy white Canson sketch pads for the longer poses (twenty-thirty minutes).

The really short poses (30 seconds, one and two minutes) can be quite frustrating and I actually don't enjoy them. I sometimes show up late to avoid them, but then get the terrible seats (spotlight in the eyes, extreme foreshortened poses). :D

I dug up some quick ones. I usually throw them out.

DLJohnson
12-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Thanks Jim. I am glad you haven't tossed them yet.

Glad to hear that, I love my newsprint. I did get a "Biggie" newsprint pad that is super rough. I like the smoother surface, more forgiving. :cat:

Donna

James or Jimmy Jim
12-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks Jim. I am glad you haven't tossed them yet.

Glad to hear that, I love my newsprint. I did get a "Biggie" newsprint pad that is super rough. I like the smoother surface, more forgiving. :cat:

Donna

Hi Donna, I got a biggie myself - love it.

The smooth, cheap ones are "garbage fodder", IMAO. :D

DLJohnson
12-21-2005, 11:46 PM
LOL, as I posted that I thought to myself that you all that know what you are doing probably like the tooth. I won't toss my biggie just yet, thanks. :cat:

James or Jimmy Jim
12-23-2005, 06:43 AM
LOL, as I posted that I thought to myself that you all that know what you are doing probably like the tooth. I won't toss my biggie just yet, thanks. :cat:

I think the Biggie is one of my favourites - love the tooth. :D No one knows what they're doing in life drawing (whether they think they do or not). :D

rosebard
12-23-2005, 08:30 AM
Hi Jim, thanks for sharing this. I love the use of pencil. Your strokes and values are really cool.

I just recently started practicing sketching from life. I use my hubby, daughter and son and they can only hold up for while, so I am getting use not to care for details and studying just proportions.

This is really a cool forum. Thanks to the plein air stuff and WC. :)

Bobbo
12-23-2005, 03:17 PM
excellent!
you are good at this!!
very expressive...

James or Jimmy Jim
12-31-2005, 07:49 PM
Thanks Rose and Rob!