View Full Version : What is Glassine?

Natalie NZ
12-18-2005, 09:44 PM
I want to protect my painting of George that I have just finished so that the owner can take it to the framers, and have seen you people talk of glassine.

Is it ......... tissue, cling wrap (clear plastic wrap), lunch paper, wax paper, cellophane.......... or non of the above??
:confused: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2005/47453-26_18_31.GIF

Looking forward to hearing from you

12-18-2005, 10:16 PM
The glassine paper that I buy here is like a cross between tissue paper and waxed paper....if you go to an art supply store and ask for it, they should be able to provide it for you. It's quite common and really inexpensive.

Paula Ford
12-19-2005, 12:36 AM


If you put it over your painting, the pastel won't stick to it.

I use it, but lately I've been using tracing paper which is really thin and you can see through it better than glassine.


Natalie NZ
12-19-2005, 03:23 AM
Cori, thanks for your help. It doesn't seem to be available in the area that I live in in NZ but next time I go to one of the 'big cities' where there are many more Art Supply shops I'll try there.

Thanks to you also Paula, I had a look on the Dick Blick site and it does look interesting but as you suggest, I think I will use tracing paper.

You guys are so helpful.

12-19-2005, 02:24 PM
Dakota Art Pastels sells it by the roll - 36" wide x 25 yds or so long for about $20 US dollars - if you need only a small amount you can use grocery store 'wax' paper!

Natalie NZ
12-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Thanks very much for your reply Bluefish but I think shipping costs to New Zealand would be a bit costly......will use tracing paper or wax paper.

12-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Hi there,

I must confess that I don't know if «glassine» paper exists here in Portugal, however what art supply stores carry here is what we call vegetable paper.
I guess that wax paper is a more sturdy paper used for insteance to wrap cheese and so on.
Vegetable paper is also used here for tracing. it's the same one used in elementary school. Altough I'm sure that there are several qualities.
Now, I have to tell that when I put vegetable paper over a pastel, it does grab a minimum quantity of pastel, but not important.
I don't believe that glassine won't take not even ONE grain of pastel. Or am I wrong ?



12-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Wax paper works in a pinch. However, it does lift a bit of pastel off the painting, unlike glassine. Also...do NOT leave a painting covered with wax paper in a hot car. Your beautiful pastel painting will very quickly metamorphose into an encaustic painting.

I use it all the time in my workshops, though. (With the above caveats to students.) Only wax paper comes in convenient short tubes with a cutter attached to the box! I wish glassine would come this way.

12-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Michael - I bought some 'glassine' at a Pearl Paint Store in sheets that were 24"x36" pre- packaged. It's the expensive way to purchase it but it is available in small quantities. Maybe the Pearl web site could help you for your workshops. - 'bluefish'!

Natalie NZ
12-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks very much Jose Michael and bluefish for replying to my query. :wave:

12-21-2005, 07:38 AM
What you need is a shiny surface against your pastels, that is why glassine is better than tracing paper.

A good, cheap alternative, is glossy pages from magazines. These will protect your pastels, and will not attract the top surface of the pastel in the way that regular paper will do.


12-21-2005, 10:31 AM
has anyone tried 'acetate'? It's glossie, comes in rolls and is cheap!

12-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Acetate will attract the particles like a magnet. I am not sure why glossy magazine pages don't do that, but that has been my experience.

12-21-2005, 02:43 PM
jackiesimmonds - thank you kindly - I wasn't thinking clearly when I asked about 'acetate' -it's the 'static charge' in the acetate that attracts the particles! That's probably why the glossy magazine pages work - they are relatively static free!