PDA

View Full Version : Horse Portrait

clipartbytrina
12-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Hi,

I'm new, but I wanted to receive feedback on some of my work. I used PaintShop Pro 7 on this particular portrait, but I now have PSP 9 (which seems to produce much better quality images). Since the horse isn't my own, I feel I need to leave the word "sample" written across it:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2005/72880-coolcatplayboy-sample.jpg

Thanks for any advice/feedback.

Trina
"The cage sure looks empty, don't it, Pa?"
"Yes son, it does....but don't the trees look full!"
Andy & Opie

digistyle
12-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Hi Trina. Welcome to WC! and the Digital Forum. Very nice work on the painting. The colors are velvety. My only suggestion would be to deepen the shadows a bit. Nice job overall. Looking forward to seeing more from you!

digistyle

clipartbytrina
12-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Guess I should have included the original. I agree, too, that I should deepen the shadows...will work on that :)
.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2005/72880-coolcatplayboy-orig.jpg

clipartbytrina
12-19-2005, 01:32 AM
Touched up in PSP 9 (with deepened shadows and lighter highlights).
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2005/72880-coolcatplayboy-blk.jpg

Digital Portraits
12-19-2005, 01:36 AM
WOW, it looks really nice here, I love your talent :) Amazing work

clipartbytrina
12-19-2005, 01:59 AM
Thank you :) I've done several other horse portraits (horses are my other passion), but this portrait is my favorite. The lighting in the original helped me bring out so many more details than the others. And such a BEAUTIFUL animal!

barryt
12-19-2005, 06:15 AM
Lovely piece of work Trina. :clap:
A little critique: Perhaps the jaw line is too big. I think it ends where the head collar nestles behind it. You seem to have taken it to include the head collar space, making it look a little bulbous.
This doen't detract from a good painting though.

clipartbytrina
12-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Thank you for that, too, Barry. I think the jaw is always a fault with me. When I was a little girl, I rode a stallion (contest riding) who looked a lot like this horse. His jaw was strong and muscular. Loved that horse and loved his jaw. So now, I usually put way too much emphasis there.

I probably will leave it as is in this painting, but try to control it better in future ones.

LOL - I love your quote: "Artists can color the sky red because they know it's blue. Those of us who aren't artists must color things the way they really are or people might think we're stupid."

LadyAlba
12-19-2005, 11:40 AM
Good job on these I actually prefer the coloring of the Sample one with a little darkening where the shadows are it would be perfect. ;o)

susan :)
12-19-2005, 12:09 PM
very nice. :) i have done a few horse artworks too. being from montana you almost have too..lol. i like the black background one the best. black just makes things stand out better.

jageo
12-19-2005, 09:42 PM
I like the deeper shadows of the black one, but like the lighter background in the first version. Less dramatic, but more comfy.
I layered the original with your work to point out something about the neck that wasn't working for me. The green line is where his neck is in the original. It's a handsome pose - with the turn of the head, but where the neck is now (blue line) conflicts with that some. Makes him a bit bulky

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2005/7674-72880-coolcatplayboy-blk.jpg

The eye is wonderful work, the nose is velvetty soft and i admire the blaze and the delicate veins in his face. Lovely work.

JA

clipartbytrina
12-20-2005, 12:28 AM
Beautiful critique, JA! I would also have to bring the jaw in somewhat, I think, if I were to change the neckline. This is where I would say, "Ok, time to start again from scratch." Which I probably won't do with this one. However, you've given me new ideas about future portraits. I need to place the painting on top of the original and make it transparent in order to check my work.

My intention, as you can probably tell, is not to make an exact replica...because then it doesn't feel like I'm putting a part of myself into it. Yet, I do want the proportions to be correct.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed opinion. I'm amazed at how willing the forum members are to spend valuable time on other people's work.

justjean
12-20-2005, 02:05 AM
He looks great,but could he use a wee bit of shadow to show his waistline ( don't know what you call it on a horse LOL ) just back of the shoulder area :)

Yako
12-20-2005, 06:35 AM
Welcome to this forum Trin! :wave: :wave: :wave: :) I think i love the version with the darkest bacground the shadows and highlights are better. It would look nice too with a terra verte background, years ago i did something similar in oils and it looked very classic and orangy colors showed better (well, just a subjective opinion)

barryt
12-20-2005, 09:38 AM
Neck shoulder CHEST then waist Jean!!

clipartbytrina
12-20-2005, 10:48 AM
He he he! Having a blast with all these suggestions. Ok, here's another one that reflects several opinions at once :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2005/72880-coolcatplayboy-terra.jpg

He has a slimmer neckline, a little work on his jaw, shadowing behind his shoulder, and the terra cotta background (well, at least my version of terra cotta...lol). Now, keep in mind that he is a Quarter Horse...they're supposed to be bulky animals - although I admit I hammed him up a little more than the original.

clipartbytrina
12-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Here is a much daintier "looking" breed. But don't let their appearance fool you - they're scrappers!!! I don't have an original for you to compare it with, because she comes from my mind and from several different images I've seen. She has the formation of an Arabian, but I don't think I've ever seen a Palomino Arabian (not saying they don't exist, I just haven't seen one).

She's on black, just because I think the black brings out the gold and copper tones.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2005/72880-arabian.jpg

My problem is with the left rear leg. At the top it appears to be going forward (as it should), near the bend it appears to be facing outward (...as it shouldn't). And then at the bottom it's facing forward again. I can't figure out how to fix it. Any other critiques are welcome, too.

Thanks!

barryt
12-20-2005, 11:59 AM
I'm not sure what the pace is Trina, but if it's a trot, then the right diagonal should have both feet going forward and the left back? Also the near fore is a little short and appears to be a few inches off the ground. The stifle could be made a bit more prominent.
A lovely proud horse.

Your revamp of the portrait looks good. Leave it there I think.

clipartbytrina
12-20-2005, 12:19 PM
The arabian is at a standstill but cautiously about to step forward. She sees something she's unsure of - curious but slightly alarmed. Her fore leg wants to investigate, but her hind leg isn't convinced...she's prepared to go in either direction. I've seen this stance when working with younger horses...often just before turning and bolting away from the object of their attention.

I agree that the left fore is a little short. Before I put her on the black background, she was standing on unlevel ground. But still, her hoof should be flatter to the ground.

justjean
12-20-2005, 01:28 PM
What a proud beauty , lovely painting Trina:clap:

Bytemebabs
12-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Hi Trina! Welcome to the WC! You have a wealth of knowledge of horses! How lucky you are for that! Your paintings are very good! And it is wonderful to see how gracefully you accept constructive critiques. The people here are a very talented group of artist at all levels and are most willing to help us all learn. I love your paintings and I can tell you will be progressing very fast! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

clipartbytrina
12-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Thank you, Babs. I love constructive criticism. Too many times, I'll think I'm finished with my work, then come back to it a month or two later and say, "Ugh! What was I THINKING?" There's nothing like having a bunch of other artists to give their slant on things.

I've learned so much in just the few days I've been involved...some good and some bad...LOL! The good is reading about how others accomplish their tasks, seeing beautiful works of art, studying methods, etc.; and the bad has been seeing a few insecurities barking around at each other. Be that as it may, I think some positives are being brought to light. That's all I have to say about that.

Anyway, I agree that many of the people here are very talented and I'm amazed at how much they're willing to help.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)