PDA

View Full Version : Any NON expensive Art Schools? (for the student who doesn't have any money?)

megadubitably
12-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Hello, I'm a high school junior who is pretty serious about art, I was thinking of doing something in illustration. I recently decided that I want to spend my life doing something with art, so naturally I want to go to a college with a very strong art program or an art institute. However, I am going to be paying for college out of my own pocket with no help whatsoever, and I currently have about 200 bucks. I realize that this will not get me very far. I won't qualify for any need-based scholarships. However, I have good grades, take hard courses, and plan on getting a good ACT score, and am developing a pretty strong portfolio (I think). Are there any good art schools out there that are generous with scholarships and don't have a ridiculous tuition (preferably in the midwest)? I'd rather not be in debt for the rest of my life. Also, what do you think about going to a community college for two years, building a portfolio, and then transfering to a much more prestigious art school for the remainder of my college career? I don't really like the idea of community college, but that way I could save a lot of money and get a job.

:confused:

kinjutsu
12-18-2005, 10:04 PM
I'd say the first thing to do is look at the state schools near you, some can have very good art programs. Other than that try and find the schools you are most interested in going to and apply, you may be surprized and get a scholarship that could allow you to go there.
As for community college, if it seems like the most economical option and can help you build a strong portfolio then it wouldn't be such a bad option to fall back on.

Axl
12-19-2005, 03:20 PM
Remember that scholarships and bursaries are always out there - check out for them anywhere from your local community, to even online! Apply to many and any that you quality for - every little bit helps :)

Taxguy
12-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Frankly, one of the least expensive art schools that I have seen is Mass Art. It is a very good school and is inexpensive even for out of state applicants. Obviously, you should also consider your state university system too.

There are some strong art programs given in community colleges. Check out Montgomery College, here in Maryland. They absorbed the Mortgomery college of art. For a community college, they have a huge number of art offerings.

Also, as noted above, based on filing of a FASFA form, you might be eligible for all kinds of need based aid plus possible merit aid if you have a good portfolio.

Termini.
12-22-2005, 02:28 AM
You may want to consider looking into a local community college. Many community colleges offer degrees such a s a two year associate of fine art. Some schools will have degrees such as an associate of art, in liberal arts, and you can take art classes for your electives. Many people start into these programs, and complete the first two years of the post secondary education, and obtain a degree in a very inexpensive manner, and then go on to a 2+2 program and complete the 3rd and 4th years, and later obtain a Baccalaureate degree. Community colleges are generally less expensive than 4 year institutions. If you desire to enter a four year program, and cost is a factor, you may be better off looking into a state funded as opposed to a private school. You can also apply for a stafford loan; many states have instructional grants as well. Good luck.

RachelK
12-26-2005, 10:59 PM
I am at Columbia College in Chicago, www.colum.edu. I really enjoy it a lot. It is less expensive than most private schools. They do seem to offer quite a few scholarships for full-time students. There are also plenty of private scholarships that can be found online and in books. If you're interested in checking it out, let me know.

Rachel

christyc82
01-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Look at your local schools, 2 year and 4 years. Also, look at schools near a big name art school. I didnt goto Maryland Institute of Art and Design, but most of my teachers also taught at MICA, so I got a MICA education for the most part, at a state school cost, and without the MICA name to back me up. Im not worried as much about what my degree says as far as school, more so i care as to who my teachers were and are....as well as what they taught me. I dont regret goin the state school route at all...