PDA

View Full Version : Progess pics - day 2

Jeffi
01-31-2002, 11:02 AM
Here are some progress pics from my second class. It doesn't look like I had much progress (because I didn't) but I fleshed out the legs some more, added the breasts, and started adding in the left arm. Plus a few more small tweaks..

Our instructor comes by and helps us out - so anything you see is part me, part him. It takes him about 30 seconds to fix something I've been struggling with for 30 minutes. Aye carumba!

Anyway, here are three photos. As usual, comments or suggestions are welcome!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2002/Tara10.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2002/Tara14.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2002/Tara16.jpg

diane555
01-31-2002, 11:48 AM
Hi Jeffi

It looks like you've made some good progress to me. Starting to take shape now. How do you like the clay versus the wet clay? You take some interesting angles in your pics with good detail. Nice work:)

Di

Jeffi
01-31-2002, 01:16 PM
Dianne,

Thanks. I like the oil-based clay. It has a different feel to it, and I'm wondering how to smooth it out to skin-texture when I'm done. Also, there's some really rough spots in undercuts that are hard to reach, like under the legs, that I don't know how I'm going to smooth out. I guess the byword is 'plan ahead'. As for the pictures, I need to stand it up on end and photograph it that way - I just have had nightmares that if I do that the whole thing will slide right off the board. I'm just being over-cautious; I'll stand it up on end and take a full frontal view shot next week.

MKathleen
01-31-2002, 01:36 PM
Jeffi, I agree with Di she ask you some good questions, and thanks for answering them. As someone said to me "saves me some typing" tee-hee. I like it too, but will you be sculpting any not so perfect women in your class? :evil: :cat:
Thanks for posting your progress pic's I'm learning a lot from your work.

Best,
Kathy:D :cat:

Jeffi
01-31-2002, 02:39 PM
Kathy,

I'm honored to be addressed by the recent recipient of such an illustrious and distinguished award. I shall stand at attention whenever I read a post from you!
As for the girl I'm sculpting, I'm afraid she does look like that. It's funny though, once I start sculpting I stop looking at her like a person and more like a series of shapes, planes, and shadows. I kind of forget she's an actual person. Of course my wife doesn't believe that....

MKathleen
01-31-2002, 04:00 PM
At ease Jeffi, touache spoken like a true artist! I know you are right though, and that is the way you should observe your model. Hey I know all artist can appreciate a human with a beautiful body. Just bring your wife some flowers from time to time. lol......:D

Best,
Kathy :D

max nelson
01-31-2002, 07:14 PM
Yea, and I bet ya just read Playboy for the articles, huh?:D :D
Sorry, Jeffi, just couldn't resist such a great straight line. You're absolutely correct though, once you get to working on whatever you're doing the 'human' dissapears and planes, shapes, angles appear in their place. A non-artist believes that like...not!
This is coming along nicely..you have the angles and overall shape done very well. Don't start worring about the smoothing, fingers and toes yet. Once you get to that stage on this it will 'just come', honestly. Don't have any good tips about smoothing to skin like texture other than just lots of work. I'm sure there are techniques for this, but I don't know em. Now in wet clay..there are numerous methods. That's why I like it. You got the talent..a little more experience and you'll be amazed that the beautiful peice before you was done by your own hand!
Max:)

Jeffi
01-31-2002, 09:04 PM
Max,

Thanks. I read in one of my books that there are liquids you can use to smooth oil-based clay, including some household liquids; I just can't remember what they are. Once I get closer to finishing I'll pull the chapters and look at them. I have to admit that water-based clay is much more forgiving - however oil-based clay should hold detail much better. I'll see as I go along. Anyway, forward march!

Bendaini
01-31-2002, 10:32 PM
Oil based clay? that wouldnt be polymere would it?

Unfortunatly i have not had a chance to deal with much other then "sculpy" and water based clays... But if handled by the right person sculpy can be absolutly amazing :)

I am wondering how big this sculpture is. Depending on how large it is the best way to get a "full frontal" picture might be to set it (very carefuly) on the floor and stand over it. (This was suggested for paintings in one of the articals and i am sure it will work for a sculpture).

Starting on the face soon?

Oh, and i agree, bring your wife some flowers and take her out on the town for a night and she will be much more forgiving. I might even suggest getting her to read "Drawing from the right side of the brain" which talks specificly about drawing the shapes and not the figure... she might even believe you after that.

Crissy
(artist and wife)

diane555
02-01-2002, 07:36 AM
Hi Jeffi

I see I missed the spouse discussion. It's funny how differently non-artists see the world that the way we do. Speaking as a wife & artist...hmmm I suggest getting yourself a hunk of nice waterbased clay and starting a sculpture of your wife. Then after you can hollow it and have it fired. And the flowers are a very good idea too! Hey, and maybe dinner too!

As for smoothing the oil based clay. Max is right...it will just happen as a part of the process but I have read that you can use a soft paint brush with a little oil (household not motor!) but you want to be absolutely sure you are finished sculpting or adding clay besause it's going to resist anything else after you put oil on it. Myself, I would just use my hans and modelling tools. I like the texture better when it's hand made rather than having too slick a finish. Now, water based clay is easy to smooth...but you already know this. Keep up the good work.

Di

Jeffi
02-01-2002, 10:58 AM
Bendaini,

The clay is Le Beau Touche by chavant. Actually, as I was driving away from the last class I thought to myself "why don't I just put it on the floor and stand over it"? That's one Homer Simpson "D'oh" for me. I'll probably do the face last, after I get the rest of the body done.

Diane,

Concerning my wife, being the warm, considerate person that I am, what I did was say "Hey, it's payback - for my first sculpture I had to sculpt a naked guy". Then she whacked me.... (Actually, I am doing a bust of her as well - so she can't get too mad or I'll make her sculpture look like General Patton)! Aaahhh, marriage.

Bendaini
02-01-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Jeffi
Concerning my wife, being the warm, considerate person that I am, what I did was say "Hey, it's payback - for my first sculpture I had to sculpt a naked guy". Then she whacked me.... (Actually, I am doing a bust of her as well - so she can't get too mad or I'll make her sculpture look like General Patton)! Aaahhh, marriage.

ROFL... that sounds very much like something my hubby would say to me ;)
(only i was the one drawing the naked guys :D so i guess i have to make the excuses, even though he DOES know all about seeing the shapes since he's an artist too... can never win...)